Attic 7Th November

KevH

Its a funny old game.Numbers down slightly again.Feel for Ted,playing quality to a half empty (full biggrin.gif ) room.

He could have gone to a birthday party for some cakewink.gif ,but came to us.Thanks Ted.

Many thanks also for the folks in attendance,a loyal and knowledgeable crowd thumbsup.gif .We've always tried to offer an alternative to the norm,have drafted in some of the top DJ's in the country,and had some cracking nights.But one thing that you can safely predict with The Attic is its unpredictability.

Maybe our vision of a oasis in the desert isn't shared? Like i say,its a funny old game.............

Anyways,a few from me....

C-QUENTS - ITS YOU AND ME

BOBBY ADAMS - HEART ATTACK

PLATTERS - HEAR NO EVIL

STACY LANE - I'M OUT TO WIN YOU OVER

TSU TORONADOES - GETTIN THE CORNERS

FABULOUS DENOS - ONCE I HAD A LOVE

AL GARDNER - WATCH YOURSELF

JERRY WILLIAMS - SOCK IT TO YOURSELF

NAOMI WILSON - DO YOU FEEL WHAT I FEEL

JIMMIE RAYE - THAT'LL GET IT

LEDGENDS - FEAR NOT

HODGES,JAMES etc - I'M IN LOVE

JACKIE PAINE - NO PUPPY LOVE

ARLENE WILLIAMS - DUCK ALL OVER TOWN.

December.............guest.. soul man Tats Taylor thumbup.gif

• Replies 27
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Its a funny old game.Numbers down slightly again.Feel for Ted,playing quality to a half empty (full biggrin.gif ) room.

He could have gone to a birthday party for some cakewink.gif ,but came to us.Thanks Ted.

Many thanks also for the folks in attendance,a loyal and knowledgeable crowd thumbsup.gif .We've always tried to offer an alternative to the norm,have drafted in some of the top DJ's in the country,and had some cracking nights.But one thing that you can safely predict with The Attic is its unpredictability.

Maybe our vision of a oasis in the desert isn't shared? Like i say,its a funny old game.............

PLATTERS - HEAR NO EVIL

LEDGENDS - FEAR NOT

I don't know Kev, but unless you are playing the same old same it seems you aint going to get a crowd, went to Friendship last week for Mr Manship, was superb but only about 40, Was gonna come ourselves but have torn knee ligaments.

To me its about the music now, and we don't care how manys there, stuff we have heard recently just does't hack itfor us, so it's more like yours for us and less of the commercial stuf.

Chris

I don't know Kev, but unless you are playing the same old same it seems you aint going to get a crowd, went to Friendship last week for Mr Manship, was superb but only about 40, Was gonna come ourselves but have torn knee ligaments.

To me its about the music now, and we don't care how manys there, stuff we have heard recently just does't hack itfor us, so it's more like yours for us and less of the commercial stuf.

Chris

Thanks for the kind words and support Chris.I guess we can be a little hard on ourselves at times.Sunday morning blues rolleyes.gif .

Well we had a great night ! mansfield Mild, trying to get Ted to go to the toilet by buying him diet coke and listening to superb sounds all evening.

Did someone really ask for The Snake ? I'll bring it with me in January just in case !laugh.gif

and we forget to bring the camera in !

as for the attendees--quality SOUL people every one of them--WELL DONE ATTIC BOYS !

R & K

[Did someone really ask for The Snake ?

No Rob , I was'nt there , Seriously though I did,nt get back from Whitby till to late . I have now missed the last three months due one thing or another . I really did try to get to hear Ted and now I'm really pissed off .Tell you what hell and high water will not keep me away next month and also when you are on Rob , but only if you bring The Snake(not).

Another brilliant night, top food , top tunes and top people.

Keep doing what you're doing...........you're too hard on yourselvesyes.gif

Come on Ted post a playlist please.

Hope to see you all at the Craythorne............Annette driving laugh.gifno.gif

Rx

PLATTERS - HEAR NO EVIL

LEDGENDS - FEAR NOT

Kev

Still no Willis Wooten then wicked.gif

Sorry numbers were down,same problem at Wilton on Friday.Seems if you're not playing same ol' same ol' they don't want to know????Wish I could offer some advice but I can't,you've just got to stick with it & think it's there loss & know in your hearts you are doing the right thing.I promise first opportunity I get I'll be down & bring some of the rabble to give you some support..........be afraid,be very afraid thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Martyn

PS TSU top tune.

Guest goodysoul

Only my 3rd time at this venue and its quality from start to finish.As for the numbers it doesn't bother me because the music makes up for it. Have to say Ted did a top spot as always!!! thumbup.gif Great soulful people who know what real soul is, deff going again. Well donr the Attic lads keep it upgood.gif

Kev

Sorry numbers were down,same problem at Wilton on Friday.Seems if you're not playing same ol' same ol' they don't want to know????Wish I could offer some advice but I can't,you've just got to stick with it & think it's there loss & know in your hearts you are doing the right thing.I promise first opportunity I get I'll be down & bring some of the rabble to give you some support..........be afraid,be very afraid thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Martyn

PS TSU top tune.

Totally agree with you Martyn, been to a few nights recently where the music has been excellent from residents and guests (Friendship and Crofton are 2 good examples) but numbers through the door have been poor, we really don't get it and I don't see it changing much but while ever people like the Attic lads keep on doing these rarer underplayed nights we will keep attending them, shame this clashes with York as I know the 'Attic' is your type of night and I know York is a great night as well.

We had a good night with another top spot from Ted Massey and the usual good company ,another 20 people would have helped but as already said for us punters it's the music that matters more than anything else, obviously as Promoters you may disagree.

Can't wait for next month with Tats as guest, last time he was on it was a cracker

See you soon

Paul & Sue :P:unsure:

Kev gives an accurate picture and tells his feelings. We all deal with the pressure differently (although back in the world if this is all we have to worry about we are blessed aren't we). Garry is always in a different world where different rules apply, he's happy there. Steve, I think suffers it worse out of us four, he takes it in the heart rather than on the chin, and I mean no disrespect. I love the guy. I've learned to enjoy the nights for what we can make them. I really enjoyed last night againyes.gif . We knew all along it was too much to expect to recreate last January's night, some nights everything just works. Ted was outstanding last night. I had to question my sanity at some point as I stood agian, transfixed at watching a black disc rotate around, and around, and around . . . . . Wondering what it must be like to OWN it, aching with envy. My hypnotised state broken by the need to dance and some wonderful conversations with great people. Ted played a wonderful, entertaining, soul-ful, very good humoured, spot. . . . . Because that's who he is and what he does. We are very lucky to have been there in that small room to hear and feel it, twice now. Yes a few more people would've been welcome, but to be honest I prefer our nights as they are, rather than have some clowns in fancy dress along pretending it doesn't matter if it's a cheap boot as long as you can dance to again like you did last week and the week before and the week before. It is hard to imagine why, if you enjoy Northern Soul, you wouldn't want to hear what the likes of Ted Massey, John Manship, Mick Donnelly, Mick H, Andy Dyson, Franc Giacobbe, Johnny Fingers, Karl Heard, Kitch (this years guest list) in small intimate surroundings, with friends. I guess I don't understand and they don't understand us, but hey - wouldn't all do to be the same would it. Best of luck to us all.

shhh.gif Rant over, only come on to post my little offerings, have to do that later, daughter wanting pc to do her media homework, post it later.

I had a great night, thanks to TED, you were brilliant. I thought Kev H's second spot (we split his and mine between us to vary it for the paying guests) was bloody great. Thanks to all there

Totally agree with you Martyn, been to a few nights recently where the music has been excellent from residents and guests (Friendship and Crofton are 2 good examples) but numbers through the door have been poor, we really don't get it and I don't see it changing much but while ever people like the Attic lads keep on doing these rarer underplayed nights we will keep attending them, shame this clashes with York as I know the 'Attic' is your type of night and I know York is a great night as well.

We had a good night with another top spot from Ted Massey and the usual good company ,another 20 people would have helped but as already said for us punters it's the music that matters more than anything else, obviously as Promoters you may disagree.

Can't wait for next month with Tats as guest, last time he was on it was a cracker

See you soon

Paul & Sue thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

People like you and Sue (among others),make it worthwhile.You tell it like it is,and love your music.As long as our doors are open,there will always be a table with your names on it...and Tats in December - straight after Just Soul,,,,he'll be on a natural high as usual.thumbup.gif

Ok, here we go, meagre offerings by comparison, a sample ten from my 45 mins (20 + 25 to break with Kev).

Bonnie Brisker, Someone Really Loves You (Magic City)

The Marvelows, Do It (ABC Paramount)

Henry Strogin, Love Insurance (Ten Star)

The Mystics, I Really Love You (Teako)

Jesse Fisher, Your Not Loving A Beginner (Way Out)

The Ones, Happy Day (Motown)

Jerry Ganey, You Don't Love Me (MGM) - loved playing this out, pounding ear full from fist groove, love it!

Christopher Cerf, Sweet Music (Amy)

Betty Turner, Be Careful Girl (Liberty)

Buster Jones, Down Silent Streets (Phil L.a)

Couple of classic oldies - hopefully not played out too often but always difficult to guage nationally, couple of lesser heard. Handed over to Ted for some "proper" records.

Next up, first Sat in December the incredible and very sexy Tats, a proper treat for a festive night. Enjoy it we're not here for long!

Thanks for all the kind commentsthumbup.gif i was not able to drag the west mids with me this time an unfortunate clash im afraid. had a great time playing some new tunes as well. will try and post a play list up tomorrow. the 4 lads who run this venue deserve better for their efforts i will keep supporting you even though im 75 miles away shades.gif . Oh by the way i can play a mean oldies spot as welllaugh.gif

thanks for all the drinks were you spiking them Rob and Karentongue.gif

Edited by Tedsoul

Ok, here we go, meagre offerings by comparison, a sample ten from my 45 mins (20 + 25 to break with Kev).

Bonnie Brisker, Someone Really Loves You (Magic City)

The Marvelows, Do It (ABC Paramount)

Henry Strogin, Love Insurance (Ten Star)

The Mystics, I Really Love You (Teako)

Jesse Fisher, Your Not Loving A Beginner (Way Out)

The Ones, Happy Day (Motown)

Jerry Ganey, You Don't Love Me (MGM) - loved playing this out, pounding ear full from fist groove, love it!

Christopher Cerf, Sweet Music (Amy)

Betty Turner, Be Careful Girl (Liberty)

Buster Jones, Down Silent Streets (Phil L.a)

Couple of classic oldies - hopefully not played out too often but always difficult to guage nationally, couple of lesser heard. Handed over to Ted for some "proper" records.

Next up, first Sat in December the incredible and very sexy Tats, a proper treat for a festive night. Enjoy it we're not here for long!

That Jerry Ganey track Dean.It is nearly the same as that reggae tune - "No,no.no you don't love me and i know" by ????Dawn Penn.Love it.

Edited by KevH

Thanks for all the kind commentsthumbup.gif i was not able to drag the west mids with me this time an unfortunate clash im afraid. had a great time playing some new tunes as well. will try and post a play list up tomorrow. Oh by the way i can play a mean oldies spot as welllaugh.gif

thanks for all the drinks were you spiking them Rob and Karentongue.gif

Just as long as no-one spikes Karen's drinks laugh.gif .

That Jerry Ganey track Dean.It is nearly the same as that reggae tune - "No,no.no you don't love me and i know" by ????Dawn Penn.Love it.

Dawn Penn back in the day, re-released quite recently (was that before or after Rihanna covered it?). Glad you liked the Jerry Ganey, it just bounces along with volume.

Kev gives an accurate picture and tells his feelings. We all deal with the pressure differently (although back in the world if this is all we have to worry about we are blessed aren't we). Garry is always in a different world where different rules apply, he's happy there. Steve, I think suffers it worse out of us four, he takes it in the heart rather than on the chin, and I mean no disrespect. I love the guy. I've learned to enjoy the nights for what we can make them. I really enjoyed last night againyes.gif . We knew all along it was too much to expect to recreate last January's night, some nights everything just works. Ted was outstanding last night. I had to question my sanity at some point as I stood agian, transfixed at watching a black disc rotate around, and around, and around . . . . . Wondering what it must be like to OWN it, aching with envy. My hypnotised state broken by the need to dance and some wonderful conversations with great people. Ted played a wonderful, entertaining, soul-ful, very good humoured, spot. . . . . Because that's who he is and what he does. We are very lucky to have been there in that small room to hear and feel it, twice now. Yes a few more people would've been welcome, but to be honest I prefer our nights as they are, rather than have some clowns in fancy dress along pretending it doesn't matter if it's a cheap boot as long as you can dance to again like you did last week and the week before and the week before. It is hard to imagine why, if you enjoy Northern Soul, you wouldn't want to hear what the likes of Ted Massey, John Manship, Mick Donnelly, Mick H, Andy Dyson, Franc Giacobbe, Johnny Fingers, Karl Heard, Kitch (this years guest list) in small intimate surroundings, with friends. I guess I don't understand and they don't understand us, but hey - wouldn't all do to be the same would it. Best of luck to us all.

shhh.gif Rant over, only come on to post my little offerings, have to do that later, daughter wanting pc to do her media homework, post it later.

I had a great night, thanks to TED, you were brilliant. I thought Kev H's second spot (we split his and mine between us to vary it for the paying guests) was bloody great. Thanks to all there

Hi Chaps, remember me lol sorry to hear you are suffering low numbers attending The Attic but you set your stall out from the off with quality so stick with it guys, remember the first time I came over and played a few tunes what a joy it was to have no restrictions of what to play add to the fact that you are four of the most down to earth spot on blokes well it was a joy as I say to do and Steve's breakfast still rates as one of the best on my travels, the quality of tunes played by the guests who have graced the decks at your gaff well is mindblowing and if people can't see the wood from the trees of what you are about and what you are trying to achive musically well it's their loss is all I can say, hope to catch up with you all sometime soon. Dean check these pictures out mate, Luke with a couple of his new team mates lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

post-1475-12577474027199_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1257747446535_thumb.jpg

Hi Chaps, remember me lol sorry to hear you are suffering low numbers attending The Attic but you set your stall out from the off with quality so stick with it guys, remember the first time I came over and played a few tunes what a joy it was to have no restrictions of what to play add to the fact that you are four of the most down to earth spot on blokes well it was a joy as I say to do and Steve's breakfast still rates as one of the best on my travels, the quality of tunes played by the guests who have graced the decks at your gaff well is mindblowing and if people can't see the wood from the trees of what you are about and what you are trying to achive musically well it's their loss is all I can say, hope to catch up with you all sometime soon. Dean check these pictures out mate, Luke with a couple of his new team mates lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Whatever happens in the future Mark we all know that first night you did lifted us onto the road we've travelled along since, all we've achieved stemmed from that night. It's all your faultwicked.gif .

By the way I am going to contact Child line about the abuse you're subjecting Luke to, poor lad is looking like you.

Are you doing much?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark,how you doing.? You more than most know the ups and downs of the scene,and you feel it more i guess.Not complaining tho' about the Atticno.gif .We knew from the outset what we were up against.Its just sometimes you feel that the answer should be staring you in the face - and it ain't.

Always be indebted to you Mark for the profile start.

btw...i know your Luke but who are the other 2 in the photo's.? I'm sure i saw one of them parking in a disabled parking bay at McDonalds not long ago,not a blue badge in sight...whistling.gif ...ooops...better watch what i say in print........whistling.gifbiggrin.gif

Only my 3rd time at this venue and its quality from start to finish.As for the numbers it doesn't bother me because the music makes up for it. Have to say Ted did a top spot as always!!! thumbup.gif Great soulful people who know what real soul is, deff going again. Well donr the Attic lads keep it upgood.gif

Always glad when the "3rd time will get 'em" works biggrin.gif .Thanks for the support Kelly (and partner) thumbsup.gif

Maybe our vision of a oasis in the desert isn't shared?

Great minds...

Here's what I put in an email to someone about it last week - I didn't need to change anything for Saturday. When you don't have the specs of the promoter, its a gem of a place to come to, numbers high or low.

An oasis of "ooh, what's that" in the Oldi desert.

It was very special on the last Ted night. He DJs all over the place, but suits it here as it felt like you were hanging out in a mate's house.

It was cool, like a conspiracy.

Kev

Cheers

Martyn

PS TSU top tune.

Like Martyn says Stay with it like T&T have done in at YSC and your reputation is growing. I will be one of Martyns rabble and I will bring my fav menu for Snake cheese1.gif . As for pictures has who was the 12th player??? :thumbsup:

Heres my play list cant remember the order first few are but after that Robs diet cke was taking over did finish with JD and Jimmy mack

Ben E King-Teeny weeny little bit-Atco

Barbara Carr-My moma told me-Chess

Tommy & the Derbys-Don't play the role-Swing

Cleveland Robinson-Love is a trap-Nosnibor

Don Varner-Mojo mama-Quinvy

Willie Tee-Im having so much fun-Gatur

Papa Bear-You're so fine-SMS

Rotations-Put a dime on D9-Frantic

Blendels-You need love-Dontee

Johnny Rodgers-Make a change-Amon

Tommy Ridgely-My love gets stronger-International City

Buddy Smith-When you loose the one you love-Brute

Detroit Sounds of Friction-Im leaving you-Heavy Sounds Inc

Timeless Legend-I was born to love you-Dawn-Lite

Jokers-Soul sound-Skofield

Robert Tanner-Sweet memories-Megatone

Terri Goodnight-They didn't know-Phelectron

Chuck Cockerham-Have I got a right-Mala

Fascinators-In other words-Bombay

Earle's-Everybody's got somebody-TeeTi

Lenny Williams-Couldn't find nobody-Fantasy

Empires-You're on top girl-Candi

Servicemen-Connie-Chartmaker

J T Parker C/U

Trannells-Im blessed with a love-Flojo

Groovettes-Think it over-Reness

Aspirations-You left me-Peaches

Richard Caiton-I like to get near you-Uptight

Jimmie Bo Horn-I can't speak-Dade

Chuck Holiday-Just can't trust nobody-Gloria

Volumes-Ain't gonna give you up-Karen

Imperial C'S-Someone tell her-Philasoul

Mr Soul-What happened to yesterday-Genuine

Magnetics-Count the days-Sable

George Pepp-The feeling is real-Coleman

Sonatas-Going down the road-Hot Line

Poets-Wrapped around your finger-J2

Monique-If you love me-Maurci

Rita and the tiaras_Dore

J D Bryant-I won't be coming back-Shrine

Jimmy Mack-Go on-Palmer

Heres my play list cant remember the order first few are but after that Robs diet cke was taking over did finish with JD and Jimmy mack

J T Parker C/U

Rita and the tiaras_Dore

Jimmy Mack-Go on-Palmer

Great stuff Ted I missed your first appearance at The Attic in January so wasn't gonna miss this one Top Tunes all way thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif Did I read somewhere you like The Spartans 45 you never know I might have spare on it's way over the pond whistling.gifwhistling.gifthumbup.gif ......Cressy

J T Parker C/U

Rita and the tiaras_Dore

Jimmy Mack-Go on-Palmer

Wouldn't be very useful to go through saying what sounded great, they all did. The Rita and the Tiaras dropped in was an interesting choice, I always enjoy a stable classic dropped into a less predictable spot, the J T Parker c/u sounded particularly special in our small room. Thank you for the quality you bought Ted.

Source Advert