The Wardrobe - Leeds 1St Anniversary

Guest roger H

Guest roger H

I would just like to say what a fantastic night the Lads had from wolverhampton, Our great friend KARL HEARD was the guest DJ at this event and as is the norm we went to support him BUT the whole night was superb the music and DJs were all outstanding and every set was class, there were a lot of younger people there which was really great to see and really old people like DUSTY whistling.gif The club was great and set out really well and the sound system was really good, i would just like to say to the organisers and resident DJS a massive well done and the lads from wolverhampton are looking forward to the next one in JAN ............BRING IT ON thumbup.gifthumbsup.gif

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I would just like to say what a fantastic night the Lads had from wolverhampton, Our great friend KARL HEARD was the guest DJ at this event and as is the norm we went to support him BUT the whole night was superb the music and DJs were all outstanding and every set was class, there were a lot of younger people there which was really great to see and really old people like DUSTY whistling.gif The club was great and set out really well and the sound system was really good, i would just like to say to the organisers and resident DJS a massive well done and the lads from wolverhampton are looking forward to the next one in JAN ............BRING IT ON thumbup.gifthumbsup.gif

id just like to thank aaron for inviting us over ,we loved the venue, good to see dusty and other familiar faces put in such effort to attend a cracker of a soul night..with some beltin tunes id never heard before played.lots of younger grown ups there to balance the number of us older adolescents. just right. nice one lads/lasses. see you in january

Cheers Rog :lol:

What a brilliant time everyone seemed to have! We were well chuffed with the turnout and people had travelled from all over. Thanks to the Wolves posse, the Manchester contingent (Beat Boutique's Paul and Liam, plus Paul L and Veronica), Joe and Becky et al from Sheffield, plus Anya etc from the north east and of course a big thanks to all our local support too.

Very special thanks to Karl Heard whose set was flippin' amazing! The floor was rammed from the very first record and the place was really buzzing. As Rog has touched on above, it is a brilliant venue with a superb polished wooden dancefloor for those who haven't tried it out yet and the sounds system is second to none. The club has its own sound engineer who does a full on proper sound check for half an hour as we're setting up and the results speak for themselves.

The most pleasing thing for me personally was the mixture of ages and the fact that everyone was having such a brill time, which is obviously what it's all about! So thanks everyone for making our the 1st Anniversary of That Driving Beat so memorable and we'll see you the last Friday in January next year for the next instalment (we couldn't really do December as it falls on Xmas day!!) :thumbsup: Hope you all enjoy the CD too!

Will get the others to stick up their playlists in due course but here's mine from my 2 spots in no particular order:

Ascots - A Few Feet From The Gutter (American Playboy)

Danny Moore - Somebody New (Allrite)

Magnificent Men - All Your Lovin's Gone To My Head (Capitol UK)

California Rock Choir - Whoever You Are (Cyclone)

Ruby Winters - Better (Diamond)

Paris - Sleepless Nights (Doc)

Phil Flowers - Where Did I Go Wrong (Dot)

Ray Barretto - Right On (Fania)

Joe Bataan - Subway Joe (Fania)

The Royal Esquires - Aint Gonna Run (Prix)

Blue Jays - Point Of View (Jay)

Irma Thomas - What Are You Trying To Do (Imperial)

Tommy Ridgley - My Love Is Getting Stronger (International City)

Jock Mitchell - Not A Chance In A Million (Immpact)

Marvellos - Something's Burning (Loma)

Chuck Cockerham - Have I Got A Right (Mala)

John Wesley - Lovve Is A Funny Thing (Relic)

Freddie Houston - If I Had Known (Old Town)

Cookie Scott - Misled (Orr)

Sonny Fishback - Heartbreakin' Man (Out-A-Site)

Dynamics - I Need Your Love (RCA)

Rose Books - I'm Moanin' (Soul City)

Millionaires - And The Rains Came (Speciality)

Linda Griner - Goodbye Crule Love (canadian Tamla)

Clara Hardy - I Dream Of You (Tuna)

Mill Evans - When I'm Ready (Universal acetate)

Elbie Parker - Please Keep Away From Me (Veep)

Fabulous Peps - With These Eyes (Wheelsville)

Carol Anderson - Taking My Mind Off Love (Whip)

Gents - Love's Such A Beautiful Thing (Paramount)

Reachers - I Just Want To Do My Own Thing (Magic Disc)

The Quik - Bert's Apple Crumble (Deram UK)

That Driving Beat sure did it for me last night!! thumbsup.gif

I'm ashamed to say this was my first visit. Ashamed as I'm from Leeds and hadn't made it down to this gem of a night before now. It certainly wont be my last visit !!

Fantastic venue with that brilliant sunken dancefloor that was dark in just the right places.

Music superb throughout so a big massive thanks to Karl Heard,Azza,Rich Buckley & Eddie Wainwright for keeping that great dancefloor busy & happy all night.

As previously mentioned a fine mixture of people in attendance from the young,the old,the ancient & the simply unique (Steve Martin look-alike in the yellow teddy boy suit - top geezer thumbup.gif & for the guys that lady who's dress was almost ripped in half at the back giving a fine view of her toned body & her very very brief underwear ...... & no it wasn't Kirsty S!!!).

The night was Absolutely Awesome so well done guys thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Cant wait for January !!

ATB

Ali x

Guest Sean Haydon

First time at this venue and gotta say how impressed I was. From the moment we descended the stairs and entered the dimly lit room, I knew we were in for a good night. The venue ticks all the right boxes, a basement type club tho not seedy. Great sound system, good dancefloor, nice friendly people, on average a younger crowd who clearly like a good time. The music was a perfect blend, from quality classic oldies to slightly obscure soulful mod type tunes. (All very danceable). With Mr Heard playing his remarkable Ghetto Funk set right in the middle, there was something for everyone. It makes a refreshing change to listen and dance to something different in a club with instant appeal and great atmosphere.thumbsup.gif

Well done to the guys who run this place, you well deserve recognition. A bit of a trek from Wolves but well worth it. Till next time, thank you.

Regards, Sean

Me & Dee are absolutely buzzing from Friday night still, when of the best nights we've had for a long,long time.

The music was absolutely astounding from start to finish, Karl, Rich, Azza & Eddie were all amazing.

The venue is awesome & the bus stops right outside it from my housethumbup.gif

Have to also comment on the young, enthusiastic crowd as well, its what the scene needsthumbup.gif

Yes, Ali, the lady in the dress (or lack of itshades.gif ) was certainly eye candy for the men. Cant wait to see the photos hun, you must of took about 300whistling.gif

It was lovely to meet Spirit & the couple from the posh side of Moss Side (sorry I'm useless with names).

Roll on Januarythumbup.gif

K & scotchguard D xx

Bloody great night. A wonderful mix of youngsters, nighter people and terrific music, and the brilliant home team DJs were in no way humbled by the awesome Mr. Heard.

I really hope you manage to maintain this unique blend, lads - you will have established something really special if you do.

Nice to chat to everyone I haven't before (Kirsty, D, Pasha, etc.), and the usual suspects too numerous to mention.

Missed the scantily clad lass though, and frankly...

ttiwwp.gif

Edited by spirit

Thanks Roger for the very kind words, and starting the lookback off. Was great to meet you on Friday, and to see so many people travelling from such a distant to come to our night. It's truely humbling.

I personally loved everything about Friday. It just seemed to click and to then come on here and read these fantastic comments makes it all worth while. Numbers were great, the dancefloor was packed all night...........and as for Mr Heard, well need i say more. The man just keeps on delivering.

I'd also like to take the chance to thanks our sound guy, Andy. He's not a soulie of any kind, but takes 30-45mins every month with us before the gig to get teh sound and the lighting spot on. Karl talked to mentioned to me he's played all over Europe and at the biggest clubs in the UK but this was one of the best sound systems he's had the privellage to play with.

We're really hoping That Driving Beat takes off in our new home at The Wardrobe cos i think Leeds needs a top soul night. Friday night gave me confidence this can be achieved and it was just so pleasing to see people having fun and enjoying the music, which as ever was a mix of rare, under played, classics, forward thinking, refreshing.

I'll post my playlists up tomorrow as was DJing on Sunday and my box is a bit muddled.

Azza

Guest RichEvans

Well done once again to the lads Azza, Rich & Eddie. This is definitely what Leeds needed, and long may it last.

All the Dj's were on top form, and the mix of tunes as always complimenting each other, and sets well put together.

Karl Heard lived up to high expectations, all over the gritty ghetto funk sounds.

Great mix of people in too, nice to chat to loadsa new faces, though rememberin' names never is a forte of mine!

Shame there isn't a night in December, but roll on January. Any guests booked for future month's to give us somethin t' look forward to??

Catch you all next time.

Rich thumbsup.gif

what a belting night this is. fantastic music and a great venue. good to see so many young uns an all . im bringing my daughter to the next one cos i just know she will love it. thanks for the great cd too . roll on the next one wooop wooop

Been keeping up with the feedback for Driving beat from afar and I'm dead pleased it went so well. From all the nights at Milo I always thought this night would takeoff and it seems to be doing that very thing. Well Done to Azza and Rich. Will be at the next one in January...though I will be farily jetlagged....absolutley can't wait ...I'll try bring along the mad man from the Faulklands!

Can only agree, fantastic night with brilliant djs who played a great mix of RnB, gritty funk and Northern. Props to all of you boys!!! Sadly this was my first and possibly last time at this ace venue cause I will return to Germany next week. Keep up the good work peeps and to add, I enjoy the cd very much as well. All the best for next time. V thumbup.gif

Can only agree, fantastic night with brilliant djs who played a great mix of RnB, gritty funk and Northern. Props to all of you boys!!! Sadly this was my first and possibly last time at this ace venue cause I will return to Germany next week. Keep up the good work peeps and to add, I enjoy the cd very much as well. All the best for next time. V thumbup.gif

You're gonna be sorely missed on these shores Veruschka, and thanks for coming down on Friday. Great to see you again! I'll be in touch for sure about some trips over to Germany for some quality soul do's.

Looked back through the box, and below's my playlists from two spots - Early doors with Rich, and straight after Karl to try and keep the floor going. Pretty sure the orders about right:

Dee Dee Warwick - Funny how we change places

Barbara Hall - You brought it on yourself

Fantastic Puzzles - Come back

Bobby Patterson - What a wonderful nigth for love

Sunday - I aint got no problems

Lorraine Rudolph - Keep coming back for more

Willie Parker - I live the life i love

Luther Ingram - You've got to give love to get love

Otis Redding - Look at that girl

Roscoe Robinson - Running for my life

Profiles - Take a giant step

Tommorrows Men - Who's that lady

Ann Sexton - I still love you

Rhonda Davis - Can you remember

Embers - Where did i go wrong

Detroit Soul - All of my life

Mighty Marvellows - Talkin bout ya

Montclairs - Unwanted love

Ethics - I want my baby back

Linda Jones - I just cant live my life

Dee Irwin - I only get this feeling

Darrow Fletcher - What good am I

John Bowie - You're gonna miss a good thing

Jo Armstead - I've been turned on

Blue Notes - Hot chills and cold thrills

Originals - Suspicion

Supremes - Love is llike an itching

Azza

And the low down from Mr Wainwright...........

RIGHT MATE,IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER!

FOUR PERFECTIONS - IM NOT STRONG ENOUGH - PARTYTIME

CHAPTER 5 - YOU CANT MEAN IT - CBS BRITISH DEMO

CECIL WASHINGTON - I DONT LIKE TO LOSE - PROPHONICS

HERB WARD - STRANGE CHANGE - ARGO

WILLIE MASON AND KING PINS - WHY - KALAMA

OZZ & SPERLINGS - CAN YOU QUALIFY - GOLDENWAY

JOHNNY OLEN - GOTTA KEEP MOVING - DEE GEE

JJ JACKSON - OOH MA LIDDI - PRELUDE

WILLIE WILLIAMS - HAVE YOU EVER BEEN PLAYED FOR A FOOL -ABC

SHERRI TAYLOR - HES THE ONE WHO RINGS MY BELL - PG

TOBI LARK - SWEEP IT OUT IN THE SHED - TOPPER

CHANDLERS - YOUR LOVE MAKES ME LONELY - COL SOL

JOE SIMON - WHOLE LOTTA LOVIN - SOUND STAGE 7

SAM DEES - LONELY FOR YOU BABY - SSS INTERNATIONAL

DANNY WOODS - YOU HAD ME FOOLED - CORRECTONE

TONY GALLA - IN LOVE - SWAN

PATIENCE VALENTINE - IF YOU DONT COME - SAR

LONNIE LESTER - YOU CANT GO - NU-TONE

LOU LAWTON - KNICK KNACK PADDY WAK - WAND

WADE FLEMONS - JEANETTE - RAMSEL

HARVEY AND JOKERS - SOUL SOUND - SKO-FIELD

OTIS LEE - HARD ROW TO HOE - QUAINT

ZU ZU BLUES BAND - ZU ZU MAN - A&M

ERNIE WASHINGTON - LONESOME SHACK - CHATTAHOOCHEE

THE ROCKS - KEEP MY WOMAN HOME - WHITE CLIFFS

WILLIE KENDRICKS - CHANGE YOUR WAYS - RCA

LITTLE FLINT - PAIN -BEAST

TRENDS - THANKS FOR A LITTLE LOVIN - RCA

MICKIE CHAMPION - WHAT GOOD AM I - MUSETTE

TITO PUENTO - HIT THE BONGO - TICO

JOHNNY TAYLOR - BLUES IN THE NIGHT - FRENCH E.P TEST PRESS

AND I DEFINATELY FINISHED OFF WITH TONY CLARK THE WRONG MAN-MS

SEE YER SOON MATE

Had a great night on friday. Top venue and great mix of soulies and music lovers.

Make sure you all check it out in Jan. A night like this needs everyones support so that it can grow.

Loved Karls spot as per. One of the few dj's that tick all the boxes for me.

Prob won't be able to make Jan due to the impending arrival at our house, but hopefully will be over in Feb or March.

Paul

The pics are in the gallery guy & gals thumbup.gif Hope you like them.

I didnt realise there were so many soul sourcers in attendance. Hope I managed to catch you all on camera thumbsup.gif

If not ..... I'll get you next time !! wicked.gif

Big love

Ali "Paparazzi"

xxx

Edited by Alison H

Source Advert