Joe Douglas - Original Or Counterfeit?

Guest Leonardo

Guest Leonardo

Been told that this 45 was booted....how do you tell the difference?

Markings in deadwax as follows:

P-1000B (12 o'clock)

len Caldwell (6 o'clock)

VIRTUE (4 o'clock)

all scratched -in

Scan of my copy:

post-11700-126479203308_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leonardo
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Sold my original many years ago, but I think it had the raised numbers/letters under the label.

Much like a lot of 60's Philly area records, Merben, Sandbag, Tyler, Salvador etc.

Can anyone confirm?

Social source share

To see if yours is an original copy:

Hold the 45 towards you with the A side showing "Something to brag About" rotate the disc until the

P in the runout matrix of P 1000 A at is at 6 o'clock, at 12 o'clock a scratched in Virtue should be upside down and at

3 o'clock there should be a lower case scratched in signature of len caldwell.

Dead wax is also 16.3 mm

Best

spook

Social source share

I honestly did not think that this had been booted???? I've never seen a boot for sale in my life!!! g.gif

I hadn't realised this had been booted, either.. unsure.gif I notice from the scan of Jule's copy that it has a moulded label - would that make it more likely to be pucker ??

(a confused - and surprised - but EVER-learning..) Fingers

Social source share

Guest Leonardo

I honestly did not think that this had been booted???? I've never seen a boot for sale in my life!!! g.gif

To see if yours is an original copy:

Hold the 45 towards you with the A side showing "Something to brag About" rotate the disc until the

P in the runout matrix of P 1000 A at is at 6 o'clock, at 12 o'clock a scratched in Virtue should be upside down and at

3 o'clock there should be a lower case scratched in signature of len caldwell.

Dead wax is also 16.3 mm

Best

spook

I hadn't realised this had been booted, either.. unsure.gif I notice from the scan of Jule's copy that it has a moulded label - would that make it more likely to be pucker ??

(a confused - and surprised - but EVER-learning..) Fingers

I have this one for sale and had an e-mail asking questions about the 45 to ensure that it was an original "as it had been booted".

I certainly wasn't aware that it had ever been booted nor had I ever seen one (would I have known if I did?). Haven't had a respsone from the enquired so aren't sure if the enquiry was legit or just malicious.

Thanks for the info.

Jules56

Social source share

Originals have a faint matrex stamp in the runout,but i

can`t quite make it out,it looks like it starts with an A ?

Dave f..............

correct dave, its a very feint stamp "audio labs" or something like that, can be found on most cameo & parkway discs, also on originals of jimmie raye, very hard to spot, unless you're lookng for it

Social source share

I agree with the other faint mark , If you hold the 45 with " Crazy Things" to you , with the P of P1000B matrix at 6 0'clock, this "Audio Labs" stamp is at about 7 o'clock.

There appears to be something on the "Something To Brag About" side again at 7 o'clock but It is not very well defined on this side of my 45.

To see if you have an original of this 45 would be very difficult to check in poor light and after a few beers.

This thread needs to go into the "sharp end of vinyl".

Spook

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Hi Jules im the one who emailed you about the 45', yeah its in Manships as a boot, can you tell me what is in the deadway a side,(in some sort of detail etc) is the caldwell in lower or higher case, like i said in my mail, i'll have it if its an original. Brett

ps the money is burning a hole in my pocket so any confirmation soon would be appreciated.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Markings in deadwax as follows:

P-1000B (12 o'clock)

len Caldwell (6 o'clock)

VIRTUE (4 o'clock)

all scratched -in

Scan of my copy:

hatsoff2.gif Its many years since I sold this tune at the Vic in Wolves I had 5 copies at !st glance it looks right the blue label look a bit bright but that does not make it any rarer At 1 st glance I will go for real one Is worth a lot more than the £10 I sold them for.ph34r.gif DAVE KIL .....Right I have not seen the record but there can always be a answer I say Original Not a boot and with that much info in the dead wax if it was Snide it would be counterfeit if it is on this site by Wednesday you should be able to of located who and when also how many and why did I find out in 2010boxing.gif DAVE(Don't get mugged Kids)KIL Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

• 8 years later...

I know it is an old topic but...

In which year was it conterfeit? I think so crazy that it could be conterfeit with so many details specially in the deadwax. Usually  conterfeit doesn't have those details,second press yes. Where can we find informations about that except in the Johnmanship book? Who in the USA can confirm that is a boot. Who did those bootelg? In Belgium?... There was no reasons to make this kind of boot with so many details for the equivalent of 5 euros at that time equivalent of 3
 GBP...it was nothing. Not necessary to be so precise for peanuts.   

Maybe is it a different press as many orders exist. Look the different press of Sam Fletcher I'd think it over. Yellow with big TOLLIE, with the square, with different kind of yellow,with different inscriptions, the white promo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert