2010-09-24: The 23Rd Skegness Northern & Rare Soul Weekender

• Replies 126
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

GOT TO SAY WOW SKEGGY WEEKENDER WAS ROCKING WHEN I LEFT FRIDAY AT 2.15 AM , GOT BACK TO NUNEATON AT 5.00 AM. :ohmy::( HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT TIME I KNOW YOU WILL GOT TO SAY WELL DONE TO ALL THE TEAM AT SKEGGY GREAT MODERN SOUL ROOM AT THE GRAND CENTRAL :lol: WELL DONE COOPS ON THE DOOR :lol: ANDY WAS HAPPY £1.50 A PINT beer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gif PINTS LATER :shades: . :wave:GOOD TO SEE NEW FACES IN THE MORERN ROOM IAN :Dblush.gif:D:lol: . SOULFUN AND LOVE SAM EVANS . :wave:

GOT TO SAY WOW SKEGGY WEEKENDER WAS ROCKING WHEN I LEFT FRIDAY AT 2.15 AM , GOT BACK TO NUNEATON AT 5.00 AM. :ohmy::( HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT TIME I KNOW YOU WILL GOT TO SAY WELL DONE TO ALL THE TEAM AT SKEGGY GREAT MODERN SOUL ROOM AT THE GRAND CENTRAL :lol: WELL DONE COOPS ON THE DOOR :lol: ANDY WAS HAPPY £1.50 A PINT beer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gifbeer.gif PINTS LATER :shades: . :wave:GOOD TO SEE NEW FACES IN THE MORERN ROOM IAN :Dblush.gif:D:lol: . SOULFUN AND LOVE SAM EVANS . :wave:

who was that stranger in the modern room sam was it mr seaman :yes:

only there for the cheap beer ?:no:

who was that stranger in the modern room sam was it mr seaman :no:

only there for the cheap beer ?:no:

Ha ha Cheers Sam/Rupe !! hope your camera got bust on the way home Sam :huh:

Yes well what can i say.............. thought the modern room was great :lol::yes: , yep all that cheap beer :):yes:

Had a great time too, best set for me was Mr Barnfather 1.30 sat night, absolute blinding set of 60's & 70's raritys !!! top notch set !! :ohmy:

Ian.

Guest yorks old boys

we new it was going to be good but it was better, good start in the new venue located on the see front what a spot we hit the bar then the dance floor then the bar yes ditto and what sets played well done the guys and gals brilliant role on the next one then later to the grovener some awesome sounds played in the vault some brill dancers on this floor bottle bar what a good idea .then upstairs the floor was full here we go again from start to finish top class half 11 at night some one said where is caroline and ali possible bar propping, wrong they had gone to the dark side just down the road some more awesome modern played, i stayed at the oldies and the night just got better all the friends from around the country in one big crowd popping along to both if you missed it dont miss the next one and just got to thank his lord and master dave and donna thanks for a smashing weekend class welldone the jedi knight in the modern room coops well done to you as well:thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::lol:

we only made the sat night , but it was heaving come 9pm. a couple of repeat plays over the course of the night but we had a great time with some great people. A big up to a legend, Mr Billy Whizz, who came over and chatted to us for a while, was nice to meet you :thumbsup:

all being well, see you at the next one :thumbsup:

we only made the sat night , but it was heaving come 9pm. a couple of repeat plays over the course of the night but we had a great time with some great people. A big up to a legend, Mr Billy Whizz, who came over and chatted to us for a while, was nice to meet you :thumbsup:

all being well, see you at the next one :thumbsup:

Lovely to meet you also and your other half, i just love the clothes you were wearing. Hope to see you at Stoke. Keep on keeping on.

Billy

Ps. 2 most fashionable soulies i saw Saturday night.

Would just like to say a MASSIVE THANK YOU to each and every one for making 'THE SKEGGY WEEKENDER' so very, very SPECIAL !!!

Best Wishes to ALL.

Dave & Donna x

:yes: The thanks goes to you Dave & Donna! for continuing the Skegg weekender all these years, its always a pleasure to play for you & be in the company of so many lovely friendly people & meet new friends i just hope i pleased the soulies that was there with my contribution of music?

the music was spot on as always, :hatsoff2::hatsoff2: :lol: to my mate yocky for the kung-fu sketch: :yes::lol: i just hope nel is not too badly hurt lol;

fozzie.KTF.

Route 61 soul night Niagara Road Sheffield S6 1LU

Resident DJ's Steve Foster & Soulman Martin

Friday 8th October with guest DJ Graham Weaver

Edited by soul guy fozzie

Would just like to say a big thanks to Dave & Donna for a fantastic weekend at my first weekender in Skeggy, won`t be my last :no:

A special thanks to Kev for taking me :D thanx babe wink.gif also thanx to all the new mates i met, you all know who you are :lol::no: and for the great laughs we had :lol::yes::yes:

Just another special thanx to Mick & Debs for lending us the caravan for the weekend your both stars :hatsoff2: and it was very much appreciated :D

See you all again next time

Julie xxxx

THANKS DAVE AND DONNA MY FIRST SKEGNESS WKNDER WHY I DONT KNOW BUT BACK FOR MORE FOR SURE.

LOVED THE VENUE MUSIC THE PEEPS THE WHOLE PACKAGE ........EXELLENT.....

DALE.......:hatsoff2:

i feel the skegg weekender is, at this moment, going through puberty.

it's had a fantastic childhood, as some may say even 'banging'.

the stage it feels now is that of change, a stage we all went through before becoming fully fledged adults.

not a change in ethos, nope, still is and always will be the 'family of soul' weekender.

not a change in those who do, will and may attend, for those people are gonna love the future in skegness far more than 'garlic bread'!

the first part of this change was to pull the modern/crossover out of the depths of history and drag them screaming and stomping into the 21st century by giving these genre their own specific area.

moving to the Grand Central assisted the Vault to regain it's identitiy of rare 60s and RnB and 'nighter tunes etc. etc.

i know that the vault will now go from strength to strength as the word goes round (as it most certainly will).

i can't say too much about the future of this weekender because i have no business in doing so but i will say this, after talking long and hard with the promoter his vision of a weekender with five arenas under one roof is far from an imposibility.

even as a non indigenous skegnessian it fair makes the few hairs on the back of my head stand up (bit like the old 'benni inhaler feeling' each time you smell something that reminds you of 'the day'.

i spent most of this september weekender in the modern room.

some might say it's where i should be and i should be not allowed anywhere else!!!! but.... my ideal night is a mixture of northern/rare soul genre so i actually thought i'd get too much modern going through my senses but..... far from it.

the dee-jays played modern SOUL, and that always works for me, not modern 'disco'.

i did go and have a dance to roger banks, tony clark, tony mudy and blunny in the vault saturday afternoon and was totally in awe of some of the tunes these guys played, also i grabbed an hour in the Ballroom to take some pics and john poole was doing what he does best, rocking the joint and all those present had a look of 'soul selfsatisfaction on each and every face.

so, the new weekender in the future, i for one am soooooo up for it but until then, this one going through the changes still is (in my limited weekender experience) the most special place to spend a weekend amongst such wonderful people.

Edited by coops

Finally I feel enough of my brain cells have reconnected that I can recant my experience of Skeg Vegas or bust 2010,so sit back, buckle up & relax for the Spot's eye view of the Lincolnshire laughter weekender.

We were gunna set off early (Not as early as Jonah though,who sets off afore the cock crows thrice,well some one may take his parking place directly outside the Hotel door & that would just be a bummer) but Gail's idea of early & mine differ slightly by about 2 or 3 hours,so at Noon with enough clobber loaded to do a series of "Wish you were here", after 2 hours of the Wayward Wind & it's rainy sister plus dodging half trees strewn across the road & shaken but not stirred we arrived at journey's end.After Gail did the necessary with our attire I met up with Dale (Skeggy virgo intacto) it was off down the Tamla to see Dave then it's off to check out the Grand Central & wait for Dave Rivers & Steph (2 more Skeg Vegas virgins) to arrive. Now this place has great potential, bars on two levels,all wooden floors & a decent dance area on the upper level, we spent an hour or so but as usual some of the Dj's think the louder it sounds the better it sounds,sorry guys wrong!!! We hit the Littern Tree & 2 bottles of Echoe Falls before the Bury Duo arrive & after nourishment & almost another 2 bottles it was time to rest up before it rested me up for the night.:D

It was a close call but out by 8 & managed to catch some of Mark & Brendon's spot & very nice it was too, Delightful Donna was guarding the door & the lovely Joy was in her usual slot and also what a delight to see upon first entering the building 2 happy smiling faces, Dick & Mary part of our Hotel hostage group were there & Dick along with Jonah did a couple of spots (some of which I caught & enjoyed) over the weekend up in the Dressing up Box room, a wander up & downstairs with "Hello's" & chats to all & sundry including Mr & Mrs Snow (Before he was too drunk), Mrs Jonah (In a dress) & the little one's,Mick West & the sound system 7,Mel & Jon,Ali & Chrissie(Who was mostly in the darkside vault),Keith the Badge,Nell & Jean, the Yockster,Ken & Carolyn (Hope the cd meets with your approval),Roger Banks,Carol Mac,Big Tony & Ian Seaman,Rupe,Carol,Andy & Debby,Kev Thomas & Julie, not forgetting the wonderful Wizard,Billy Elliott Whizz plus Uncle Tom Cobbly & all.

Only made it back up stairs to the bar an odd time & even though I'm Oldied out, the crowd up there were loving it, I did manage to catch a good bit of Pete Taylor's set & enjoyed it before it all got a bit too Right Track for me & I had to head for the safety of,well anywhere really but each to their own,back down in the Vault I tapped a toe to Carole Mac, Tony Wiggins & Brendon's sets before heading off to the Grand Central but not before the excitement stirred up by Shameless & Co,a recurring theme over the last few years, anyway we exchange pleasantries with Den,Rob & Our Vicky,managing an hour of super bass & eight minute tracks before succumbing to Boom Boom fatigue.:lol:

It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's breakfast saturday, so quick before Sam beat you down & demolishes the lot,after that it's morning papers, a long leisurely rest & read then out for fresh air, a Coffee with Donna & Dave at the Tamla,which is packed all morning, then I go walk about while Gail & Steph go shopping,Dave walks to the beach where believe it or not they are re-enacting the British & American Normandy beach landings, I kid you not & they say we're strange!!!!!! So it's back to the Badge & Baggies brigade to spend an hour in the company of the Jones crew & listen to Dick & Jonah fill the air with nostalgia & memories of my youth,if only we could bottle those years, anyway before we return to the Hotel for R&R I hear that someone's complained about what Soul Sam's playing upstairs, for God sake leave it out,it's 50 min's out of a weekend plus it's not a main session, I couldn't stand the R&B or the stuff that sounded more Country & Western than Frankie Laine with a Stetson on Horseback but I don't go whining to the promotor trying to get them removed, give the guy a break!!!!!:yes:

Tea & top up at the Littern Tree, the three S's & back to it in the Vault with the odd visit Up Top when Mr Taylor & Mr Poole are on before downstairs Soul Sam plays the best set of the weekend by far including, The Appointments,Third Eye,Ike Strong,Joseph Webster,Arthur Willis,Lil Major Williams & more,so much more, infact I was that impressed I even shook a tail feather myself, Top marks Mr Barnfather.:yes: We finished the night with an hour or so at Grand Central again where a lively bunch were having a great time but once again I could only stand a smallish dose of Boom Boom before hitting my pit.

Sundays always the same,breakfast, car packed & loaded, Tamla Cafe,which was packed again, Goodbye to feel drunkards of Soul & off into the blue till next time. April next & we can all be fools again, I love this place & the people who join us & wouldn't miss it for the world but maybe a large wedge of cash though, it was as good as ever, if not better & as Alan said on the video a few years back, "It's my little friendly weekender".:yes:

Take care,be safe & remember," A western ranch is just a branch of nowhere junction to me,Give me the City where livings pretty & the gal's wear finery, Cos East is East & West is West,And the wrong one I have chose",

Spot.:yes:

Edited by spot

Had a great weekend at a great venue!

As you said pete went to beach to watch re-enactment of landings!!!! :lol:

you will be pleased to know the americans won ! even though they didnt fire a shot , the germans had all the ammo!!!!!

spoilt it a bit when the germans were saying " wheres thar sarnies and ey up lad !!!"

mr barnfather certainly excelled himself and played a blinder!!! thanks to dave and donna for all they did to make us welcome !!!

looking forward to april now!:yes:

Source Advert