Best Soul Albums

Guest JIM BARRY

Guest Brian Ellis

:thumbsup: Did he sign it walking up a one way street....?

Had a written request on Saturday night to play (verbatim) 'Willy T - Walking down a 1 day street' :lol: Yes 'Walking DOWN a 1 DAY street' I kid you not. :yes:

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

• Replies 81
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

this is one of the best aspects of this site!.......i'm learning so much on this topic alone about albums , i will try and check out as many as possible, alot of peeps have mentioned SAM DEES....THE SHOW MUST GO ON. it must be good

IT's one of the best soul albums of all time Jim , now purely for spreading the gospel purposes i can run you up a CD if you like? i have the LP on vinyl. It goes for about £50 on Atlantic, well worth the investment. While we are on the Sam Dee`s train, if you don't already have it try " heritage of a black man " CD on Kent............ absolutely top draw

Social source share

this is one of the best aspects of this site!.......i'm learning so much on this topic alone about albums , i will try and check out as many as possible, alot of peeps have mentioned SAM DEES....THE SHOW MUST GO ON. it must be good

IT's one of the best soul albums of all time Jim , now purely for spreading the gospel purposes i can run you up a CD if you like? i have the LP on vinyl. It goes for about £50 on Atlantic, well worth the investment. While we are on the Sam Dee`s train, if you don't already have it try " heritage of a black man " CD on Kent............ absolutely top draw

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Marvin Gaye - In the Groove

Stu.

It's a real gem.

Bought it from the remainders bin in WH Smith in the early 70's.

Ouch! - what a bargain!!

MB

P.S. A while back you could get it on one of those twofer CD's doubled up with the U.K. Moods of Marvin Gaye. Couldn't resist investing in one of those.

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

Check out any Marvelettes albums they are all real corkers.

Pretty hard to find most of them these days,especially in good condition.

Stu.

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

It's a real gem.

Bought it from the remainders bin in WH Smith in the early 70's.

Ouch! - what a bargain!!

MB

P.S. A while back you could get it on one of those twofer CD's doubled up with the U.K. Moods of Marvin Gaye. Couldn't resist investing in one of those.

I have all of those twofers motown albums on CD.

most are deleted now and go for ridiculous prices sometimes on E Bay.

Stu.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Check out any Marvelettes albums they are all real corkers.

Pretty hard to find most of them these days,especially in good condition.

Stu.

i have sophisticated soul........love the voice of gladys horton.:rolleyes::lol:thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

thanks for your very kind offer garv, i would love that. i will gladly reimburse with any cost, atb jim.....will pm my details.:rolleyes::lol:

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

a rarer one

THE NEW SOUNDS - S/T- TURBO

and a dirt cheap one

ARETHA FRANKLIN - RUNNIN' OUT OF FOOLS - ATLANTIC

and one from leftfield

PENNY GOODWIN - PORTRAIT OF A GEMINI - SIDNEY

Social source share

Agree with lots of peoples choices,especially Otis Redding - Otis Blue. The ultimate 60s Soul LP imo.

Other faves of mine are:

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On

Anita Baker - Rapture

Trina Broussard - Same Girl

Luther Vandross - The Night I Fell In Love

Maxwell - Urban Hang Suite

Social source share

Don't actually own a copy. but Otis Blue must be one of the best soul albums of all time.

Of my own collection, I would rate Millie Jackson's- Caught Up as the finest with sparkling renditions of Phillip Mitchell's- I'm Tired Of Hiding, and Bobby Goldsboro - Summer (The First Time), not to mention the other tracks.

Other favourite Soul albums of mine are,

Bobby Womack - The Poet and Looking For A Love, although I own many of his albums and love them all, as I do with Millie Jackson's until she got too vulgar !!

Johnnie Taylor - Taylored In Silk - 1973 Stax

Shirley Brown- Same - Arista 1977

Dorothy Moore - Same - Malaco 1977

Major Harris - My Way - Atlantic 1974

Stylistics - Same - Avco 1971 Tracks include- You Are Everything,Stop,Look,Listen-Betcha By Golly Wow, Point Of No Return.

Chi-Lites - A Lonely Man- MCA 1972 Tracks include-Oh Girl,Living In The Footsteps Of Another Man, Inner City Blues and the brilliant Coldest Days Of My Life.

Various Artists - Soul Deep (Volume Two) - Atlantic/ Contempo 1978

I seem to think Dave Godin was involved in the compiling of this and includes wonderful soul from the likes of Bettye Swan, Bobby Patterson, Oscar Toney Jr, Tami Lynn, J.J Barnes,Tamiko Jones, Reuben Bell, Sam Dees, Doris Duke and Jackie Moore amongst the big names from Atlantic.

Steve

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

for me it has to be

Jackie Wilson - Higher and Higher

Diana Ross and the Supremes - Supremes a Go - Go

Jimmy James and the Vagabonds - A New Religion

Otis Redding - Otis Blue

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Jimmy James and the Vagabonds - A New Religion

This album passed me by in the 60's.

Love it now - both for the music and Pete Meaden's bizarre but fantastic sleeve notes.

gallery_6836_1066_47204.jpg

MB

Social source share

I prefer lps to 45's :lol: , and i'm not a 60's fan and with that in mind.

The Impressions Times Have Changed

Marvin Gaye Hear My Dear - My fav Mavin 70's lp, proper deep old stuff when you know the story behind it

Jackie Wilson Beautiful Day

Curtis Mayfield Curtis

The Notations

The Modulations

Sam Dees Show Must Go On

Lost Generation - Both lps

Natural Four Heaven On Earth

JR Bailey Just You and Me

Mike James Kirkland Hang On In There

The Montclairs - for the magnificent "Do I Stand a Chance" alone

and a couple of weirder soul lps

Class-Set My Style

Lonnie Hewitt

Those ones are all excellent all the way through, which I think is often the problem with soul lps

Curtis Mayfield's solo debut is probably my favorite soul album of all time.

Of course, the one on my avatar, Pieces of A Man by Gil Scott-Heron (much better than Winter In America, IMO).

And one I wouldn't necessarily call a soul album: Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life. On of the best albums of all time, period.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

It has already been mentioned, but for me 'ALICE CLARK SELF TITLED MAINSTREAM RECORDS 362', is without a doubt one of the truly great soul albums ever made, there is a depth of quality in the majority of tracks, but the three stand out killers are ' DON'T YOU CARE' this masterpiece alone is reason enough to merit buying the LP ' NEVER DID I STOP LOVING YOU' another bomb that gets under the skin from the opening bars that production is wonderful and Alice Clarks vocal delivery is effortless. 'HEY GIRL' Ernie Wilkins arrangements on the whole 10 tracks are the glue that bonds this legendary release.....if you haven't got it.........do yourself a favour.......get it.

Brett

Social source share

Guest Brett F

This album passed me by in the 60's.

Love it now - both for the music and Pete Meaden's bizarre but fantastic sleeve notes.

gallery_6836_1066_47204.jpg

MB

Those sleeve notes are brilliant, i've thought for a while you could devote a topic just based on such a thing, i've loads of Lp's with bizzare and wonderfully written sleeve notes, at times its hilarious, the style of language adopted very much, 'groovy and ' out there'. Its like looking at a time capsule of a language which doesn't exist anymore (at least i dont think it does)...........infact one lp mentioned the word ' ossified' ! if the said album didn't move you....LOL

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Some great suggestions so far :)

4 from me, an old un, a middle aged un, a new un & a thrown off site un!!!

Old - Chuck Jackson - Arrives

Middle aged - David Sea - An Ocean Apart

New - Richard Earnshaw - In Time (just buy it now)

Thrown off site un - De La Soul - 3 Feet High And Rising (outa here fast!!!!!).

Social source share

WHAT'S THE BEST SOUL ALBUMS OF ALL TIME (NO GREATEST HITS PLEASE)

SOME FROM ME,

MARVIN GAYE,......WHATS GOING ON........SHEER MASTERPIECE.

VARIOUS ARTISTS........RIC TIC RELICS......A WONDERFUL COMPILATION OF DETROIT GEMS

THE HESITATIONS......SOUL SUPERMAN

MARVIN GAYE......LETS GET IT ON.........HOW MANY LADIES WERE SEDUCED TO THIS???

ben e king - what is soul - uk atlantic

a great soul lp

a bit like otis - after a while - you just know

Social source share

Some great suggestions so far :D

4 from me, an old un, a middle aged un, a new un & a thrown off site un!!!

Old - Chuck Jackson - Arrives

Middle aged - David Sea - An Ocean Apart

New - Richard Earnshaw - In Time (just buy it now)

Thrown off site un - De La Soul - 3 Feet High And Rising (outa here fast!!!!!).

ive got a couple of 12 inches with dickie e on from about 10 years ago on soulfuric records

great tunes

soulful house of the highest order

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

As well as the above mentioned Hesitations/Spellbinders/Williams and Watson, here are the LPs that i would never part with:

Voices Of East Harlem - Same - Just Sunshine

Voices Of East Harlem - Can You Feel It - Just Sunshine

Doris Duke - I'm A Loser - Mojo (U.S. Canyon?)

Doris Duke - A Legend In Her Own Time - Mojo (U.S. Canyon?)

Irma Thomas - In Between Tears - Fungus

Sandra Philips - Too Many People In One Bed - Secret Agent (U.S. Canyon?)

Ann Sexton - The Beginning - SS7

Ann Peebles - I Can't Stand The Rain - London (U.S. Hi)

Barbara Mason - Loves The Thing - Buddah

Millie Jackson - Caught Up / Still Caught Up / Free And In Love - Spring

and one that might raise a few eyebrows:

Nuyorican Soul - Masters At Work.

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgit

I love these Tyrone Davis - Can I change my mind ( You can't keep a good man down & A woman needs to be loved. are pure soul! as my mate Glenn Hunter R.I.P. would say )

Chuck Jackson - Teardrops keep fallin' on my heart.( Have you heard about the fool & Two feet from happiness are brill )

Miracles - Going to a Go-Go . ( My baby changes like the weather is brill )

Cheers Jim.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert