2011-02-25: Soul In The South Allnighter

Event Title: SOUL IN THE SOUTH ALLNIGHTER

Event Author: salliejane

Calendar: Allnighter/Weekenders

Event Date: Fri 25 February 2011

-------------------------------------------------

SOUL IN THE SOUTH ALLNIGHTER

Friday 25th February 9.00pm to 6.00am

Rare, Underplayed & Current Oldies.....Keeping it SOULFUL !!!

Two rooms

Des Parker Karl Heard

Sean Haydon Mark Sargeant

Dave Abbott Tim Smithers

Bearsy Alfie Linney

* Late bar

* Wooden dance floors

* Record dealers welcome

£8.00 otd before 10pm

£10 after

BUMBLES CLUB

45 Poole Hill

Bournemouth

BH2 5PW

Info: 07840 898659

sallie@soulinthesouth.co.uk

Visit this Event in Soul Source Events Guide for venue maps, street views,road and rail directions and more

• Replies 171
  • Views 15.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Two rooms

Des Parker Karl Heard

Dave Abbott Tim Smithers

Bearsy Alfie Linney

* Late bar

* Wooden dance floors

* Record dealers welcome

£8.00 otd before 10pm

£10 after

BUMBLES CLUB

45 Poole Hill

Bournemouth

BH2 5PW

Visit this Event in Soul Source Events Guide for venue maps, street views,road and rail directions and more

Good afternoon soulies...thumbsup.gif

Now i am defo looking forward to this...

this is defo a nighter not to be missed...gonna be some cracking choonage getting spun on this night...can't wait...:yes:

A massive thankyou to the promoters Sallie & Rod for asking me to spin some choons for them...:thumbsup:

Bring this on i say...a cracking line up...your gonna be in for a real treat soulies...:yes:

PUT THE DATE IN THE DIARY...:lol:

Alfie

Good afternoon soulies...:rolleyes:

Now i am defo looking forward to this...

this is defo a nighter not to be missed...gonna be some cracking choonage getting spun on this night...can't wait...:D

A massive thankyou to the promoters Sallie & Rod for asking me to spin some choons for them...:thumbsup:

Bring this on i say...a cracking line up...your gonna be in for a real treat soulies...:lol:

PUT THE DATE IN THE DIARY...:(

Alfie

Ive put it in the diary Alfie Boy lol

Ive put it in the diary Alfie Boy lol

So you bloody well should...lol...

Was Chatting to Sally the other day....the flyers should be out next week...she was hopeing for them to be out now...same prob i had though for the All-Dayer 3...printers keep letting ya down...or they can't be arsed....prob a new year thing...anyway...it's defo looking to be a busy one....mind you with this line up who could resists....bring it on i say...

Catch up soon mr Smithers...say hi to Harry....

Alfie

I'm hoping I'll be around for this guys, pleased we have a Nighter on the South Coast now too..........................whats the crack with Room Two ???.

Best Russ

Not 100% sure myself Russ, but the way i see it is one room is semi commercial with forgotton oldies / rare oldies and the other room is underplayed / unknowns, funk edge etc, but i could be wrong, ive got 2 spots in room 1, think Bearsy has one in each, so he's the one you need to ask, dont think Sally gets on here much

regards Tim

Not 100% sure myself Russ, but the way i see it is one room is semi commercial with forgotton oldies / rare oldies and the other room is underplayed / unknowns, funk edge etc, but i could be wrong, ive got 2 spots in room 1, think Bearsy has one in each, so he's the one you need to ask, dont think Sally gets on here much

regards Tim

Cheers mate

Happy New Year

See ya soon

Russ

We are hoping for a great turn out from throughout the South and beyond for this event so we can make it a bi-monthly ALLNIGHTER on the South Coast.

We are all looking forward to what is building up to be a fantastic nite of SOUL MUSIC.

A big thank you for all your support so far.....CHEERS !!!

We are hoping for a great turn out from throughout the South and beyond for this event so we can make it a bi-monthly ALLNIGHTER on the South Coast.

We are all looking forward to what is building up to be a fantastic nite of SOUL MUSIC.

Good luck Sallie, hoefully I'll be there to support the event.

Happy New year

Russ x

Guest Dave Mortimore

. Hi there Sallie, I must say that this probably is the right type of venue to launch an All-Nighter in Bournemouth.

. It's centrally located, on the western hill above The Triangle from the town centre. Which means you can park your motor overnight some 100 metres away in Somerville Road, or 150 metres away in Marlborough Road or in the large car park in Hannemann Road which is where I used to park our vehicle when Rubyz was running a soul night.

. Some three years ago, Shaun Trotman put on a one-off Northern Soul night at Bumbles as a forerunner to his Opera House events.

. From what I can remember there is a dark stair well beyond the entrance that leads up to two rooms. One with a capacity of about 90 and a larger room which probably holds double that number. Each room has a proportionally sized wooden dance floor to suit.

. I remember Shaun saying that he had 145 through the door which the venue handled with comfort. Both rooms were relatively active until around 1.30 - 2 a.m. when a good portion of the crowd began making tracks to their bee-byes. The smaller room then closed to allow the larger room to carry on the music up to the 4 a.m. close. This flexibility enabled the conditions for a reasonable density of the die-hards who remained to maintain a relatively vibrant atmosphere. I think Moldie and Chris Thorley were very pleased with the response from the dance floor during their final sets to end the night.

. With the strong and diverse D.J. line-up assembled for Friday, February 25th, this All-Nighter will most certainly attract a fraternity of folk from further afield with a nocturnal affinity to converge on such an occasion. However, there will also be a proportion of the local crowd who are unable to do The Full Monty and when they, as always, eventually drift away, this venue could still (if necessary!) revert to the larger room during the last couple of hours and hence, maintain a busy and vibrant feel right up to the end of the night/beginning of daylight.

. Our place is virtually staggering distance from Bumbles, so we're looking forward to this intriguing and special night in the South Coast Calender,

. Dave & Jan Mortimore

Edited by Dave Mortimore

. Hi there Sallie, I must say that this probably is the right type of venue to launch an All-Nighter in Bournemouth.

. It's centrally located, on the western hill above The Triangle from the town centre. Which means you can park your motor overnight some 100 metres away in Somerville Road, or 150 metres away in Marlborough Road or in the large car park in Hannemann Road which is where I used to park our vehicle when Rubyz was running a soul night.

. Some three years ago, Shaun Trotman put on a one-off Northern Soul night at Bumbles as a forerunner to his Opera House events.

. From what I can remember there is a dark stair well beyond the entrance that leads up to two rooms. One with a capacity of about 90 and a larger room which probably holds double that number. Each room has a proportionally sized wooden dance floor to suit.

. I remember Shaun saying that he had 145 through the door which the venue handled with comfort. Both rooms were relatively active until around 1.30 - 2 a.m. when a good portion of the crowd began making tracks to their bee-byes. The smaller room then closed to allow the larger room to carry on the music up to the 4 a.m. close. This flexibility enabled the conditions for a reasonable density of the die-hards who remained to maintain a relatively vibrant atmosphere. I think Moldie and Chris Thorley were very pleased with the response from the dance floor during their final sets to end the night.

. With the strong and diverse D.J. line-up assembled for Friday, February 25th, this All-Nighter will most certainly attract a fraternity of folk from further afield with a nocturnal affinity to converge on such an occasion. However, there will also be a proportion of the local crowd who are unable to do The Full Monty and when they, as always, eventually drift away, this venue could still (if necessary!) revert to the larger room during the last couple of hours and hence, maintain a busy and vibrant feel right up to the end of the night/beginning of daylight.

. Our place is virtually staggering distance from Bumbles, so we're looking forward to this intriguing and special night in the South Coast Calender,

. Dave & Jan Mortimore

DJ TIMES IN BOTH ROOMS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

MAIN ROOM (Current Oldies/Rare and Underplayed)

9.00 Alfie Linney

10.00 Mark Sargeant

11.00 Sean Haydon

12.00 Karl Heard

1.00 Des Parker

2.00 Bearsy

3.00 Karl Heard

4.00 Dave Abbott

5.00 Alfie Linney

ROOM TWO (Rare and Underplayed)

10.00 Tim Smithers

10.45 Des Parker

11.30 Bearsy

12.15 Dave Abbott

1.00 Tim Smithers

1.45 Sean Haydon

2.30 Mark Sargeant

Record dealers will be in the main room, please book a table at the earliest opportunity as we only have limited space.

We recommend the Westcliff area of Bournemouth for hotels/B&Bs as it's only a short walking distance from the club. Cheap deals can easily be found on the internet for off season bookings......HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT TIME !!!

WOW what a line up and im in it too :D :D reallly looking forward to this nighter its goona be like nothing ive experienced on the South coast before :hatsoff2:

woo hoo :thumbsup:

Two rooms

Des Parker Karl Heard

Dave Abbott Tim Smithers

Bearsy Alfie Linney

* Late bar

* Wooden dance floors

* Record dealers welcome

£8.00 otd before 10pm

£10 after

BUMBLES CLUB

45 Poole Hill

Bournemouth

BH2 5PW

Sallie/Rod

Looking to come down and have a weekend on South Coast out of Season. Great line up. See you soon.

Mike

Sallie/Rod

Looking to come down and have a weekend on South Coast out of Season. Great line up. See you soon.

Mike

Really glad you can make it down Mike, be great to see you on the south coast again. You can get some great hotel deals out of season down here from £20 a night in the Westcliff area, which is just a short stroll from the allnighter. If you need any suggestions just let me know. Looking forward to seeing you.

All the best

Sallie

DJ TIMES IN BOTH ROOMS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

MAIN ROOM (Current Oldies/Rare and Underplayed)

9.00 Alfie Linney

10.00 Mark Sargeant

11.00 Sean Haydon

12.00 Karl Heard

1.00 Des Parker

2.00 Bearsy

3.00 Karl Heard

4.00 Dave Abbott

5.00 Alfie Linney

ROOM TWO (Rare and Underplayed)

10.00 Tim Smithers

10.45 Des Parker

11.30 Bearsy

12.15 Dave Abbott

1.00 Tim Smithers

1.45 Sean Haydon

2.30 Mark Sargeant

Record dealers will be in the main room, please book a table at the earliest opportunity as we only have limited space.

We recommend the Westcliff area of Bournemouth for hotels/B&Bs as it's only a short walking distance from the club. Cheap deals can easily be found on the internet for off season bookings......HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT TIME !!!

What a nighter this gonna be...can't wait to get behind the Soulful Wheels Of Steel at this event...gonna be a fantastic event...with a line up like this your be mad not to be there...so come on all you southern soulies get along and support this for what is gonna be a nighter to remember...can't wait...:D

We have had many requests for hotel recommendations and suggest that the best deals can be found on the internet, with rooms starting from £29 a night.

Recommended sites: www.laterooms.com/Bournemouth-Hotels or www.booking.com/Bournemouth

Bumbles is situated a short walk away from the Westcliff area of Bournemouth, where there are many hotels offering discounted rates.

We hope this helps, but if anyone wants further advice we will do our best to help.

post-19314-0-53426200-1296727193_thumb.j

Not long to go now for what is building up to be a fantastic night of Soul on the South Coast.

Record dealers are very welcome at this event, but please book your table as space is limited. We already have a number of dealers wanting tables and we would hate to disappoint anyone.

We would like to thank everyone for their support so far and look forward to seeing many old and new friends on the 25th.

Edited by salliejane

post-19314-0-53426200-1296727193_thumb.j

Not long to go now for what is building up to be a fantastic night of Soul on the South Coast.

Record dealers are very welcome at this event, but please book your table as space is limited. We already have a number of dealers wanting tables and we would hate to disappoint anyone.

We would like to thank everyone for their support so far and look forward to seeing many old and new friends on the 25th.

Hi Sallie & Rod

I am really looking forward to this one. Superb line up indeed and look forward to some terrific tunes. Just looking at my options whether to stay over or travel back.

Great to see you both at the weekend.

See you soon.

Mike

Edited by Mike E

Went passed the venue today and low and behold, a brand new Premier Inn ,less than 60 meters away, rooms from 29.99, thats where i would stay if i wasnt a local :yes:

so would i if i wasnt only half hour drive away, saying that it does sound like a good idea as you dont have to book out until midday :lol: could have a sherbert or 2 :lol:

I'll be doin' my sleeping on the plane.............fly back to Baghdad the following day lol.........the buzz on this is very, very good & Sallie & Rod have promoted it up the ying yang.........but this is the final push so to speak, so I would urge anybody who cares about a proper Nighter for the South Coast to email/Facebook, Tweet, phone write & Pony Express every person you know who would enjoy it.........

Best Russ

Guest Dave Mortimore

. There's something quite different and special about this forth coming night in the south. I feel as though it will bring an added flavour to the region, which I can only explain as follows :-

. In the old, old days, if you ventured to different venues, not necessarily that far from where you were living, you just knew that you were very likely to hear pieces of new music alongside the well established Oldies.

. Some of the noteworthy tunes would still be rattling around in your head on the way home. I think most folk have memories of when and where they first heard this or that special play. It was a steady process of familiarization that kept things fresh and interesting.

. Since then a vast array of successful soul music has been bedded in, thanks to the efforts of various leading edge D.J.s over the decades. Consequently, what you find nowadays is that the demands of the crowd are largely met by plays drawn from this large established archive.

. Take for example, last Saturday in the south at the anniversary in Bisley with Ginger Taylor being the big head lining D.J. for the occasion. Throughout the night there were many big Oldies in the realms of Eddie Parker - I'm gone, Johnny Sayles - I can't get enough, The Dells - Run for cover and slightly lesser known plays such as The Admirations - You left me and Rufus Wood - Before 2001, with a few expensive classic originals as in The Salvadores - Stick by me baby.

. These and many other such plays were very well received. However, I didn't pick up on anything of note that I hadn't already heard. Dave Greet made a couple of forays into Modern and Rare Soul, but these plays didn't really have the legs to make an impression with the crowd and thus, he reverted back to the Oldies theme to keep the floor going.

. The night at Bisley was most certainly highly successful, as the quality of the music was unquestionable. Yet I came away feeling that it missed that extra something we used to get in spades on some occasions at Bournemouth Railway Club. A venue that managed to draw in decent sized crowds that had an appreciation for the raw edged side to some of the Rare Soul Music it played. It has left a big hole since it's closure last September.

. In the meantime, Bournemouth University soul nights have dabbled here and there in fresh and underplayed soul music and Ghetto Soul in Totton, Southampton has successfully picked up the mantle for playing Rare Soul. Though the the size of the latter' venue has it's restrictions, which is proportionate to the limits of the current local demand.

. Now what we have with this latest venture in the south is a complete leap of faith. For the promoters are attempting to bring in a sizable crowd for an All-Nighter playing Rare and Underplayed alongside established Oldies.

. It is highly ambitious and quite unprecedented in recent years. A niter is not for everyone, as it calls for a certain type of stamina to handle such a nocturnal pursuit. Yet one thing for sure is that this night at Bumbles will attract a lot of soul people, for this strong and diverse D.J. line-up will certainly deliver plenty of what this scene is all about, Uptempo Soul Music!

. I just know that there's going to be lashings of fresh music. Some I may be indifferent to and yet I'm sure there will be others with a flavour that will leave a deep impression on me.

. It's not just the prospect of superb new sounds that makes this event stand out. But also the knowledge that an eccentric and cosmopolitan crowd of people will travel in to mix with the southern contingent.

. Friday, 25th of February at Bumbles in Bournemouth has all the ingredients to provide a unique and special occasion. We look forward to it's coming with warm anticipation,

Dave & Jan Mortimore

Edited by Dave Mortimore

One of the best posts I have read of yours Dave & nail hit firmly on head - the passion, commitment & sheer hard work it requires to organise something of this nature is often over looked & the 'Soul in the South' Nighter on this premise alone should be a packer.

Everything is in place for this to be a huge success, the promoters as far as I can see could not have done any more, the line up is superb & I would hope that the mix of oldies & newies will be the perfect mix for the dancefloor to keep it rammed all night, all it needs now is YOU.

Thing about a Nighter is, its an evolution of sorts - you have to do the entire night to actually understand & enjoy it to its full extent, the stary, scary people dont always get their groove on till the wee small hours & that is what its all about, any regular dude can go out till 2 -3 am, one of the things that makes our scene sooooooooooo special is when theyre tucked up, the real deal is happening - an Allnighter is special' we're special - we now have the opportunity to partake on our doorstep - Northern Soul was & is based on an Allnight dance scene, we are the original sound of the underground - dont just treat it has a Soul Night, anyone can do that any weekend of the month even down south, get the full on experience & do 'Sun Uppers' on the dancefloor south coast style...........the word is out too, I fully expect travelling Nighter goers to be out in strength for a fantastic night of all things soulful, from the ghetto to the big city.............the fuse is lit, just waiting for the explosion.

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers

Guest Dave Mortimore

One of the best posts I have read of yours Dave & nail hit firmly on head - the passion, commitment & sheer hard work it requires to organise something of this nature is often over looked & the 'Soul in the South' Nighter on this premise alone should be a packer.

Everything is in place for this to be a huge success, the promoters as far as I can see could not have done any more, the line up is superb & I would hope that the mix of oldies & newies will be the perfect mix for the dancefloor to keep it rammed all night, all it needs now is YOU.

Thing about a Nighter is, its an evolution of sorts - you have to do the entire night to actually understand & enjoy it to its full extent, the stary, scary people dont always get their groove on till the wee small hours & that is what its all about, any regular dude can go out till 2 -3 am, one of the things that makes our scene sooooooooooo special is when theyre tucked up, the real deal is happening - an Allnighter is special' we're special - we now have the opportunity to partake on our doorstep - Northern Soul was & is based on an Allnight dance scene, we are the original sound of the underground - dont just treat it has a Soul Night, anyone can do that any weekend of the month even down south, get the full on experience & do 'Sun Uppers' on the dancefloor south coast style...........the word is out too, I fully expect travelling Nighter goers to be out in strength for a fantastic night of all things soulful, from the ghetto to the big city.............the fuse is lit, just waiting for the explosion.

Best Russ

. Well Russ, I see what you're saying and as always your posts are fervent and enthusiastic when it comes to this subject.

. I did niters in my youth and I've done the odd niter in recent years. However, I can't make a real comparison, as I do believe the niters you espouse are unique to a certain type of devotee, which we're about to encounter on the south coast. From what I've heard and witnessed from this scene's apostles is that this is the new underground which came out of the lean years when Northern Soul had been largely forgotten. A different proposition to niters that mainly focus on yesteryear such as The Kings Hall in Stoke.

. I've never done Rugby, Lifeline , Burnley and the like. So for me, this is going to be an enlightening experience.

. Some of it's disciples, such as Sallie Reynolds, are larger than life characters and probably so are you, judging by your animated posts.

. Hence, I'm looking forward to rubbing shoulders with some of the new faces.

. I'm sure we'll chat for the first time. But please don't blow my head off with soul chat. I've got a feeling you might be too intense! ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

. Hope you have a safe journey back to Blighty. See you on the 25th, Morty

Edited by Dave Mortimore

We are really pleased to announce that Russ Vickers will be joining the dj line up at this allnighter, alongside Des Parker, Karl Heard, Sean Haydon, Dave Abbott, Mark Sargeant, Tim Smithers, Bearsy and Alfie Linney.

He will be doing the last hour in the Main Room at 5am so come along and give him a big send off before he flies back to Iraq the following day.

Alfie Linney will now be doing an earlier spot in Room 2 at 3.15am.

Keeping it SOULFUL in Two Rooms - what an allnighter this is going to be.

Let's make this the biggest and best allnighter the South Coast has ever seen.

Edited by salliejane

I'll be doin' my sleeping on the plane.............fly back to Baghdad the following day lol.........the buzz on this is very, very good & Sallie & Rod have promoted it up the ying yang.........but this is the final push so to speak, so I would urge anybody who cares about a proper Nighter for the South Coast to email/Facebook, Tweet, phone write & Pony Express every person you know who would enjoy it.........

Best Russ

Oh for heavens sake... will I ever get to give you your records! laugh.gif I wasn't going to come to this night as I want to do Lifeline the next day... question is, can I manage both? thinkin.gif

Oh for heavens sake... will I ever get to give you your records! :thumbsup: I wasn't going to come to this night as I want to do Lifeline the next day... question is, can I manage both? thinkin.gif

Yes you can :shhh:

Great news to have Russ on board :yes: 1 request please Russ and i think you know what i am asking for you to play :lol:

Guest souldjer 1

not long to go now..plymouth soulies with a few friends from up north(manchester and midlands)will be there on mass.

great dj line up and hopefully a nice dancefloor awaits.

deano n yvette

Guest soul elite

we're coming, first time to a niter 'Down south' haha and we can't bloody wait!! :yes::shhh::lol:

See you all soon... hopefully you too Soulgirl :thumbsup:

Edited by soul elite

Oh for heavens sake... will I ever get to give you your records! :ohmy: I wasn't going to come to this night as I want to do Lifeline the next day... question is, can I manage both? thinkin.gif

Same dilemna for me Karen. But I've got to support this new venture in the South. :thumbup:

....And I've just noticed Kent Soul Club is on Saturday. Sorted!......niter - home - kip - shower -food - 4 mile journey to Rochester's KSC. :yes: :yes:

:thumbsup: - Kev.

Same dilemna for me Karen. But I've got to support this new venture in the South. :lol:

....And I've just noticed Kent Soul Club is on Saturday. Sorted!......niter - home - kip - shower -food - 4 mile journey to Rochester's KSC. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

:thumbsup: - Kev.

Im doing KSC too Kev, leaving the nighter then driving to Simons :thumbup: gonna be a mad crazy weekend :thumbup:

It'll be in the box for ya buddy............just wanna thank Rod n Sallie for slippin' in me at short notice, dont often get to play out these day's due to working abroad, so it will be a real treat to be part of this fantastic event........have some real gems for the last hour so I hope you'll all stay & have a dance & give me a good send off back to Baghdad on Saturday...........Alfie, your a star mate, you'll knock em dead fellah.

Karen - of cause you can do the two hun, but dont worry about the records anyway - I'll get em off ya when our paths cross x.

Looking forward to seeing everyone, Sue n Colin coming & I think a lot of the old Uptown Down South, Southern Soul movement & Cagneys crowd will be out in force for this..........wow cant wait.............

Best Russ

It'll be in the box for ya buddy............just wanna thank Rod n Sallie for slippin' in me at short notice, dont often get to play out these day's due to working abroad, so it will be a real treat to be part of this fantastic event........have some real gems for the last hour so I hope you'll all stay & have a dance & give me a good send off back to Baghdad on Saturday...........Alfie, your a star mate, you'll knock em dead fellah.

Karen - of cause you can do the two hun, but dont worry about the records anyway - I'll get em off ya when our paths cross x.

Looking forward to seeing everyone, Sue n Colin coming & I think a lot of the old Uptown Down South, Southern Soul movement & Cagneys crowd will be out in force for this..........wow cant wait.............

Best Russ

Russ,

Can't make this but I'm in UK the weekend before at our Kid's 'do' and I'll be back in Blighty for the Burnley Allnighter on April 22nd. If your rotation fits we need to hook up for a blather Mate! Pencil some dates in and let me know.

Regards,

Dave

Hey Dave

Likewise mate, we deffo need to hook up, miss ya ya crazy b'stard............I was hoping to be in the smoke this week for Kevs doooooooooo but I'm only home for just over a week so need to spend some qualitty time with Izak........we'll get summat sorted buddy :thumbsup: .

Have a great time this weekend & love to Bev

Take care mate

Russ

Source Advert