Delegates of Soul on Uplook

When the soul scene was far bigger and more concentrated, an in-demand record could sell a few thousand copies or more and dealers were happy to make a couple of pounds profit on each copy.

But things changed as the scene became smaller and more fragmented. Most "in-demand" records now struggle to sell a few hundred copies.

Selling less records to less people was obviously a problem for the dealers but they quickly found a solution: they simply raised their prices!

Dealers now make more money by selling just a handful of copies of a record. In some cases they might have 25, 50 or a few hundred copies, but it's more profitable to pretend there are only a few.

Meanwhile, many soul fans got so used to paying higher prices that they started to look down their noses at cheap records... "If it's only a fiver, it can't be any good". Price the same record at £200 and people start to show an interest! Sad but true.

The fact is that most records are not as rare as people think they are. All it takes is for someone to say "it's worth a thousand" and someone else will be absolutely delighted to find a copy for a mere £700. What a bargain! You've saved three hundred pounds!

It's simple economics with a bit of psychology thrown in. And things will never change as long as there are people willing and able to pay the high prices.

Paul Mooney

i think that's a good analysis paul.

there are some records that are rare though and ebay, and the fact that more and more people around the world know about them, and would be looking for them, and they're still not turning up, proves that.

mind you, i agree generally.

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

some would pay the same price for water damaged as you would mint. You see it every day where people pay mint prices for not so mint records smile.gif

I'd ask and probably get £350 nowadays for a minter :thumbsup:

I'm playing an unreleased version with an alternate vocal.

Hi Chalky, meant to ask you this at Prestatyn (i recall you mentioned this to me, prior to playing it in the Old Vic)) is this an alternative acetate cut?

Social source share

I would have said 600/700 squid Mike, not as good as Delegates in my opinion. Think I paid about £20 fro a Delegates in the 80's. Sold it for not much more few years later. The £350 plus is no one off silly ebay price though, all lately seem to be fetching that or more. Although over priced IMO, it should be £150 tops, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay, same as any record.

Hi Chalky .....traded my (had 4 copies in my time collecting,so far) copy with John Weston last year for about £150 .....Now silly money.............IMO..BUT it is an oldie and well known by "suddenly have my inheritence to spend" collectors.........ATB Stevie

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

i think that's a good analysis paul.

there are some records that are rare though and ebay, and the fact that more and more people around the world know about them, and would be looking for them, and they're still not turning up, proves that.

mind you, i agree generally.

You just contridicted Paul's agruement by saying MORE PEPLE around the WORLD, I reckon there are just as many people buying northern soul records now as there was back in the 70's, it's just that it's WORLD wide now, even the yanks are buying them now, when before the were giving them away. smile.gif
Social source share

You just contridicted Paul's agruement by saying MORE PEPLE around the WORLD, I reckon there are just as many people buying northern soul records now as there was back in the 70's, it's just that it's WORLD wide now, even the yanks are buying them now, when before the were giving them away. :yes:

i don't quite get what you're saying here, sorry? :)

to clarify what i meant, more people around the world now know what these records are worth (because of the manship book, ebay and just experience - it's not like it was, where you could walk into a store and some gormless redneck would let you rape his cellar for 10c, which did happen, a lot) and thus when something like (say) johnny rodgers on amon goes for $3000 on ebay IF there were loads out there people would be going, Ah! I've got 20 copies of that in the loft! and flogging it. but they aren't which suggests, to me, that it is rare.

i personally don't buy this argument - either - that the rare soul scene collecting-wise is world-wide. yes, there are people abroad buying these records, but statistically they are insignificant. the market is 90% or more in this country and the rise in prices and the rise in value is due to people paying off their mortgages and having disposable income. IMO.

anyway, green wing series two about to start - genius.

Social source share

I'm playing an unreleased version with an alternate vocal.

Very nice version too Chalk's. :yes: Although different vocal to released version of "delegate's" on uplook, got good voice and sound's great. Hope your putting this in your play box when you dj at Horncastle and the next Manhatten, looking forward to dancing to it. :)

Karen x

Social source share

i had several water damaged ones, most of which i sold 15-20 years ago for next to nothing :)

i sold the last one six months ago to a soul sourcer for (i thi nk) 150 quid, which we both thought was fair.

i recently brought a water damaged copy which plays a ex+ for £80 :yes: bargain i think

russ

lel club, st.ives cambs, friday 7th 8 - 2am see events

Social source share

Charles Mintz version - mimimum bid £1000 - Anglo - Rarest version in TB's opinion.

We could go on forever about how much was paid / is worth now - Whats gone is gone - Couldnt bear looking at old record lists now .... Just wish I'd bought a copy of Delegates when it was £40 ( tho I couldnt coz my paper round didnt pay that much! :yes: !!!!

But I did get a Big Daddy Rogers for a fiver. .

ATB

Rich

Social source share

Very nice version too Chalk's. :) Although different vocal to released version of "delegate's" on uplook, got good voice and sound's great. Hope your putting this in your play box when you dj at Horncastle and the next Manhatten, looking forward to dancing to it. :D

Karen x

I might put it in the playbox just for you :D

Social source share

Talking of "I'll Coming Running Back" how much is the Charles Mintz version on Uplook? Seems to be picking up the odd play or two here and there.

Charles Mintz IMHO kicks the living s**t out of the Delegates of Soul.....................never get bored of hearing this & if your into the price thing, far rarer than the Delegates too. That wah wah geetar does it for me every time...........chunky, funky, but solid proper Northern all the way.........what a tune.

Russ

Social source share

Charles Mintz version - mimimum bid £1000 - Anglo - Rarest version in TB's opinion.

We could go on forever about how much was paid / is worth now - Whats gone is gone - Couldnt bear looking at old record lists now .... Just wish I'd bought a copy of Delegates when it was £40 ( tho I couldnt coz my paper round didnt pay that much! :thumbsup: !!!!

But I did get a Big Daddy Rogers for a fiver. .

ATB

Rich

BDR was £15 a pop at soul bowl, I had to borrow my wifes credit card to buy 5 copies which I sold for £40 each.....thought I was the bollocks record dealer.............doh :lamsey::yes: .

Russ

I might put it in the playbox just for you :yes:

Any chance of a small sound file Chalks :shades: .

Russ

Social source share

Not really sure Simon, but I bought my copies in the late 80's early 90's. My first recollection of it played out was Ady playing it at the 100 Club mid 90's, but surely had earlier plays ???.

Russ

Remember BDR being played midish 80's. Certainly late 80's by Mark Bicknell. Got it on tape from that period somewhere.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert