Backfield In Motion - Mel & Tim

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Love It, remember hearing this back in the 70's, never heard it played at any soul night or weekender WHY?

link

Mel & Tim were appearing at the first all-nighter I went to back in '74 at the Queens Hall in Leeds, April if memory serves me right and way back then it sounded great when they sang it, not one I'd play out though or would want to hear at a venue.

Colin.

Social source share

Guest livelikeasailor

I like it to, why would you not want to hear it played at a venue RIDER?

And FRANK M, CHART RECORD? Are you saying if its been in the charts it means it is good or not good enough to be played, can you explain please?

:shhh: Katy Colwyn bay.

Edited by livelikeasailor
Social source share

Mel & Tim were appearing at the first all-nighter I went to back in '74 at the Queens Hall in Leeds, April if memory serves me right and way back then it sounded great when they sang it, not one I'd play out though or would want to hear at a venue.

Colin.

link

Enjoyed Mel & Tim most of all acts that night, my first nighter as well.

got a poster for it somewhere in loft, have to dig it out.

steve

Social source share

And FRANK M, CHART RECORD? Are you saying if its been in the charts it means it is good or not good enough to be played, can you explain please?l

link

I think it's a great record but given that records were dropped from playlists when they were given a UK release, if a record hit the charts it was certainly going to be dropped.

I've just had a look at the Guiness book of Hit Singles and it wasn't a chart hit but I certainly heard it on the radio a lot. So maybe we can say it is not played as it is overfamiliar to the crowd that were there in the seventies.

I've heard younger DJ's on the mod scene play it.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I like it to, why would you not want to hear it played at a venue  RIDER?

And  FRANK M,  CHART RECORD?      Are you saying if its been in the charts it means it is  good or not good enough to be played, can you explain please?

:thumbsup:   Katy              Colwyn bay.

link

Because....yawn....its a good record....but you can hear it on Radio 2..zzzzz...or down the pub disco after they play Band of Gold and Dancing In The Street... :(

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

American football Ed.

link

OFF TOPIC

Which following Saturdays debacle is my fave sport. Go Bengals whistling.gif

Backfield in motion is when a running back of the full back moves before the ball is in play.

The Offensive line can have on player in motion as long as he is behind the line. If he is moving when he lines up level, and the ball is snapped then thats a flag and a 5 yard penalty. (I wonder if I will get any stick for this)

ON TOPIC

Rob Thomas played a Mel and Tim track when he guested at the Saracens in Cheltenham earlier on this year. An old Torch track that escapes me. But it had all the older lads peeing their pants with joy :):D

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

American football Ed.

link

I like the notes to the 'If Loving You Is Wrong' CD on Kent, where Mel & Tim explain that 'backfield in motion' is basically 'offside' in American football but also "when your lady is caught with her backfield in motion you know she is messing up".

I do like a good double entendre whistling.gif (don't like the record though)

Edited by rachel
Social source share

I think it's a great record but given that records were dropped from playlists when they were given a UK release, if a record hit the charts it was certainly going to be dropped.

I've just had a look at the Guiness book of Hit Singles and it wasn't a chart hit but I certainly heard it on the radio a lot. So maybe we can say it is not played as it is overfamiliar to the crowd that were there in the seventies.

I've heard younger DJ's on the mod scene play it.

link

Can't recall it being in the charts either, just evokes memories of past 70's popular soul tunes, shame "Forever In A Day" was'nt as popular by Mel & Tim, now who likes this whistling.gif

Social source share

Can't recall it being in the charts either, just evokes memories of past 70's popular soul tunes, shame "Forever In A Day" was'nt as popular by Mel & Tim, now who likes this :)

link

Is it "Forever And A Day" (as printed on the record) or "Forever In A Day" (as printed on the album cover whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert