Midtempo CD Swap - members only

Guest Kolla

A wee message from Dayo, who's on holiday now till the 24th so can't post his CDs out till then :-

"I think its very unlikely I can get this CD done and dusted before tomorrow when I go on hols. Had a massive amount of work to do before I can get away, and I just can't get the time till I get back in a week. I hope everyone will understand. Have got a fab track list in my head though. - Dayo "

Social source share

• Replies 200
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Out of interest to what are good mid tempo tracks, would any of the kind souls who are taking part in this swap, mind sending me a PM with their track listing? I can then look out for the titles. I thought about taking part, but I don't take any notice of what's out there legally on CD and so might have broken a few copy right laws!!

I promise I won't banger you for any copies of the CDs you're swapping!!

Social source share

Hello all,

After chopping down 49 tracks into 32, I've finally got a CD that I'm satisfied with. I am currently in the process of burning the CDs and I'd like to take an extra day or two to make a good insert with notes and nice graphics, if it's ok with everyone. I promise it will be worth the wait.

Jason

Social source share

Am doing mines tonight, so will be out tomorrow. Which fantastic 4 track is on cd as I was going to put one up? Probably a bit late now but may be worth putting up listings to avoid too much duplication

Cheers

Jock

LIve Up To What She Thinks, superb record IMO!

Social source share

Just litening to Nicks mid tempoo groovers. One or two I don't know glancing at track list :-) Fantastic Four sooo under-rated and the Bonnie Brisker is just pure class.

Thanks Chalky, thanks for yours which came in todays post, will try to listen to it this week, but I'm struggling at the moment.

Cheers

Nick

Social source share

No problemo Mark whenever you can fit it in.

We got Scotty's on Saturday and then Chalky's yesterday.

Had a busy day so only managed to listen to a few of the tracks last night from Chalky's. Can't speak for Al, but just my kinda tempo! Even the cats were dancing :) ) Expect full review and several questions to follows.... LOL

Social source share

Cheers Kolla

Got it this morning, was late for work flicking through it.. 2 days running now same reason, if I get a CD every morning for 2 weeks I could loose me Job ;-) , dancing round the Ironing board ironing me shirt listerning to a cd (what a start to the day)....

Social source share

Got Chalky's, Kolla's, Mischief's and Nickg's in the post this morning.

All absolutely awesome; as with Kolla's post, I'll have a few questions about unknown tracks after I've had a better listen, if that's OK?

Mine in the post today - printer problems. Soz.

Dan

Social source share

Just noticed a minor bit of duplication between me and Chalky...both gone for Bobbie Smith and also Clyde McPhatter. Sorry. Btw Chalky, does your McPhatter actually say 'Lonely People CAN'T Afford To Cry' as your tracklisting shows? I've always assumed this is what he is singing, both from how it sounds and also from the context of the words, but my copy and others I've seen show the title as 'Lonely People Can Afford To Cry'.

Social source share

Safely recieved Chalky's, Nick G', Mischief's and Al/Kolla's.... gonna end up taking longer journeys to places to hear as much as poss at one time and that's only the first four LOL.... never mind to hear all 16 (17 if Fraser's still in).... looking forward to hearing stuff I don't recognise/know, etc., just reading playlists.... but sure they'll all be "tops"....

The missus took mine yesterday morning and posted them on her way home from work.... she ain't sure if she caught the late afternoon post or not.... so if not here today then will, no doubt, be tomorrow for everyone (except overseas)....

Duplicates, as Dan mentioned, are bound to occur but in different playlists I can't see that being a problem.... how many times, when out, do we hear the same tune played more than once on a night.... in a different set it can have a different feel.... plus tastes and favourites will always cross....

Enjoyed rooting through the boxes and listening to stuff not heard for ages/a while when doing the CD.... hardest part, for me as it's my first CD swap, was trying to decide what might not be on other peoples playlists, irrespective of whether it's been played out or not, and keeping in mind Kolla's initial comments about "voyage", "build up", "mixing" and "changing styles"....

Thanks to all for those recieved/ about to recieve....

Right.... off to tek a 2/3/4 hour journey to fetch some fags.... via the Peak district me thinks.... to chill to tunes....

Social source share

Hrmmm - yes the elusive Fraser ... tumbleweed3.gif - Since we all have a spare CD ... what about if we don't hear from him by the weekend then we should give first refusal to the Soulgirl / Brett combo ? Or should we wait a wee while longer, incase he's on holiday ?

Social source share

Hrmmm - yes the elusive Fraser ... tumbleweed3.gif - Since we all have a spare CD ... what about if we don't hear from him by the weekend then we should give first refusal to the Soulgirl / Brett combo ?    Or should we wait a wee while longer, incase he's on holiday ?

No probs as long as it doesn't go onto website for all to download, would be defeating the object of a swap then. Give him a little longer though.

Social source share

Just noticed a minor bit of duplication between me and Chalky...both gone for Bobbie Smith and also Clyde McPhatter. Sorry. Btw Chalky, does your McPhatter actually say 'Lonely People CAN'T Afford To Cry' as your tracklisting shows? I've always assumed this is what he is singing, both from how it sounds and also from the context of the words, but my copy and others I've seen show the title as 'Lonely People Can Afford To Cry'.

Mine said "Can't" although I've got cloth ears and sometimes think they sing "Can" and other times "Can't" ;-) If you follow ;-)

Social source share

Only had the two so far, Nick's yesterday and Kolla and Al's today. Have played the Pauline Shivers record out a few times , cheap and again under=rated. Beverley Schaffer, got an unissued thing of hers on tape, reminds me to dig it out. Ella Woods, sheer class!!! Looks a good un you two, will stick it on shortly.

Social source share

Mine said "Can't" although I've got cloth ears and sometimes think they sing "Can" and other times "Can't"

Just as well they ain't cockneys - they might have been singing something else...

as long as it doesn't go onto website for all to download, would be defeating the object of a swap then

LMHO! Chalky - you are so direct ....

Ms Bridges, hold yer breeches... we should be polite and wait longer for Fraser.

Social source share

Mine said "Can't" although I've got cloth ears and sometimes think they sing "Can" and other times "Can't" ;-) If you follow ;-)

With you on the cloth ears problem. I can't listen to music quietly and 25-odd years have taken their toll on the old eardrums!

Social source share

Hrmmm - yes the elusive Fraser ... tumbleweed3.gif - Since we all have a spare CD ... what about if we don't hear from him by the weekend then we should give first refusal to the Soulgirl / Brett combo ?    Or should we wait a wee while longer, incase he's on holiday ?

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

did someone mention my name :)

Social source share

LMHO! Chalky - you are so direct ....

Ms Bridges, hold yer breeches... we should be polite and wait longer for Fraser.

Always told straight to the point and no point beating about the bush, I like to say what I think. Not being nasty or anything, would be happy to swap a cd with Karen and Brett.

Social source share

No probs as long as it doesn't go onto website for all to download, would be defeating the object of a swap then. Give him a little longer though.

On my Daughters life.. I will not put on my website for download - although, I may already have some of them there if I already have them.

PS: I didn't take offence at all - I totally understand and will wait in line. I have a massive pile of CD's so am more than willing to do my part :)

Social source share

Status Report: All CDs are burnt. I am currently working on my notes as well. I have every last record at my desk to be scanned for the booklet. So-take that! "originals police"! I promise a nice finished product that will be of my best quality. I will post them all in a day. It will be well worth the wait.

Jason

Social source share

Chalky, top CD mate- played it most of the day and had to take it with me to the garage while I fixed me scooter! Nick, got yours today so will play 2nite.....

Social source share

Chalky, top CD mate- played it most of the day and had to take it with me to the garage while I fixed me scooter! Nick, got yours today so will play 2nite.....

Cheers Al, glad you liked it. Just watching the Sopranos then I'll be playing the one from you and Kolla.

Social source share

Some great stuff on the CDs I've had so far, can't wait for the postman to arrive with the next load.

Here's my top five on each:

Mischief

Five Stairsteps - lovely happy soul from the Windy City

Spinners - great (if a bit quick for a midtempo CD!). Seem to recall this as a Jon 'Fast' Buck spin??

Johnny Moore - don't know this, straight onto the wants list

World's Funkiest Band - always been a sucker for this, is the drummer on piece-work...50c per beat?

Sister Sledge - great modern dancer (but bloody hell mischief, if this is midtempo, I wouldn't want to dance to your uptempo stuff without chemical assistance on an industrial scale)

Chalky

Very, very hard to choose just five but...

Syng McGowan - fabulous, haunting vocal

Sir Caesar - the quintessential all-nighter beat ballad?

Donald Jenkins - really nice harmonies...what does this go for folks?

Jimmy Burns - rattles along just above mid-tempo, great sound

Larks - new to me, now on wants list!

Teardrops - fantastic dancer, anyone got a spare?

Sorry, that's six, could have raved about others...eg Brookes O'Dell, which used to be the Cov nighters ender, Commands etc etc...Emorise Kelly is an awesome RnB sound - ever get serious plays?

Kolla and Al

Another very tough job to choose a best five, but here goes:

Amanda Love - shades of Barbara Redd or is that just my ears? But a great lolloping, smokey sound

Marion Black - another soundalike...this time I've got the Small Faces and Rene (The Docker's Delight) in my head. But what a great mellow track for midnight whisky and comfy chairs

Glen Miller - awesome lilting Jamaican soul which has been on me wants list for a long time...anyone got a spare?

Chi-Chi - very camp and OTT, big old kitchen sink production...love it

San Franciscan TKOs - I need this record urgently!!! Track of the lot so far IMO

Mary Love, Mitty Collier and, particularly, Ella Woods are great, so is the Brenda Hollway LP track and Jean Carter and Bobby Hutton are major old faves but I'm sticking to five...just. (Like the Ken Boothe track too. Didn't Ali G cover this as well?)

Nickg

Accent on the modern side, which isn't totally my thing (and a liberal interpretation of the word 'midtempo' Nick!), but this CD still has lots of real gems IMO:

Little Jimmy Gandy - all that drinking his own piss, refusing to eat meat and walking for the revolution didn't stop the bespectacled Indian genius from turning out this lilting little swayer

Fantastic Four - awesome, as good as Can't Stop Looking... IMO

Bonnie Brisker - shivers-down-spine time...this is my thing to a tee

Jimmy Rae - great song, I've got it by a female artist, exact same backing, think it's very well-known but for the life of me I can't remember who or find it anywhere...any clues?? Never heard this version before

Superlatives - new to me...anyone got a spare?

Mentioned in dispatches: Wallace Brothers (want one if anyone has etc etc), Ollie Nightingale, Elsie Strong, Ovations

All in all, some fantastic sounds, thanks to all who've sent so far!

Dan

Social source share

Sister Sledge - great modern dancer (but bloody hell mischief, if this is midtempo, I wouldn't want to dance to your uptempo stuff without chemical assistance on an industrial scale)

I'm not really a mid tempo person.. so I go for the top end of it.. I do love a good stomper every thing else is mid tempo to me...

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Cheers Al, glad you liked it. Just watching the Sopranos then I'll be playing the one from you and Kolla.

Good grief Chalky if you were watching the Sopranos you should have left E4 on for "In the line of fire" which is a bloody vooonderbar new FBI?Mob series very good IMVFHO potentially even better than the sopranos

John

Social source share

Questions / Comments start here... Nick - these are for you

- Who's that singing with Barbara Mason ? She's a fine singer, ain't she. I love her "You better stop"

- Little Jimmy Gandy is more my tempo on here - anyone got any idea how old he was when he recorded "I'm not like the others" ? I have some LA Beat (60s American show) videos and there was crazy little kid (about 8 yrs old) singing some great soul - can't remember his name but he his footwork was dynamite.

- Dee Edwards - it's a beautiful track and I didn't even have a cassette tape of it. Thank you... Is this an album version?

Hee hee Dan - I can't wait to get Mischief's in the post now... I mean, I think Nick's is pretty fast!

Chalky - Al and I have seen the entire Sopranos series already - it's bloody fab. A pal managed to get each episode as it came out in the States so we packed the enitire series into a couple of days viewing.

Social source share

Good grief Chalky if you were watching the Sopranos you should have left E4 on for "In the line of fire" which is a bloody vooonderbar new FBI?Mob series very good IMVFHO potentially even better than the sopranos

John

I watch that little TV John I cancelled the sky, waste of time and money really. Sopranos is the only program I've watched this week and I videoed that ;-)

Social source share

Hee hee Dan - I can't wait to get Mischief's in the post now... I mean, I think Nick's is pretty fast!

You know me Fast fast fast faster.............I only play midtempo when I dj to give the dancers a rest..

Best thing anyone every said to me when I was DJing was in Paris....

"Mischief ... Mischief stop it slow down now .. if someone dies from a heart attack it will be your fault..."

Poetry to my ears........ Dance you Ba*,"%ds Dance

YOU SHOULD HAVE THEM SOON POSTED THEM ON MONDAY MORNING IN THE POSTBOX OUTSIDE MY WORK... JUST OVER THERE SEE IT THAT RED ONE..

Social source share

Chalky

Very, very hard to choose just five but...

Syng McGowan - fabulous, haunting vocal

Sir Caesar - the quintessential all-nighter beat ballad?

Donald Jenkins - really nice harmonies...what does this go for folks?

Jimmy Burns - rattles along just above mid-tempo, great sound

Larks - new to me, now on wants list!

Teardrops - fantastic dancer, anyone got a spare?

Hi Dan,

Syng McGowan was on my wants list for ages after I heard it at Andy Dyson's, Janine finally got me a copy for me birthday last year. Great record IMO. I've played it out two or three times since getting it.

Sir Ceasar old Big Joe Turner cover for Pat B, superb, just a pity it's on styrene ;-(

Donald Jenkins not sure of price, have seen listed a t aa ton recently. Jimmy Burns always loved this since hearing Steve Smith spinning it :-)

Larks shouldn't be expensive but this took me absolutely ages to get and still rarely see it, other side a cracker too, one for the next swap :-)

Teardrops you should get a copy fo0r about £30, see it listed now and again,

Thanks for the comments.

Social source share

QUOTE(

Cheers Al @ glad you liked it. Just watching the Sopranos then I'll be playing the one from you and Kolla.[quote/)

Man, the Sopranos is great! Mate downloaded new series on VCD and me an Kolla never went out for ages!!

Social source share

Chalky - Al and I have seen the entire Sopranos series already - it's bloody fab. A pal managed to get each episode as it came out in the States so we packed the enitire series into a couple of days viewing.

Just got to this post....she's lyin!! two episodes a night for god knows how long!!

I dunno whats wrong with being a hermit when it comes to one of the funniest series ever made....

Oh yeah, just got Mischief's (playin now) Miff's and Mark E's: No TV for ANOTHER night... :)

Social source share

Who's that singing with Barbara Mason ? She's a fine singer, ain't she. I love her "You better stop"
"Make It Last" Babara Mason, pleased to say that 2 of my pals have bought this in the last month after hearing my copy, haven't a clue who's sining with her. I love her track "Aint got nobody"

- Little Jimmy Gandy is more my tempo on here - anyone got any idea how old he was when he recorded "I'm not like the others" ? I have some LA Beat (60s American show) videos and there was crazy little kid (about 8 yrs old) singing some great soul - can't remember his name but he his footwork was dynamite.

We joke amongst ourselves that he's about 10 !

- Dee Edwards - it's a beautiful track and I didn't even have a cassette tape of it. Thank you... Is this an album version?

No, deffo the Morning Glory 7"

Cheers

Nick

Social source share

Cheers for reply, Nick. Brought Mark E's and Miff's into work today - i'll stick 'em on in a bit.

Just glancing at Miff's track list ... "Oi! Have you stolen my record collection??" Laughing because there are a couple on there that are the same as mine and also there are five tracks I was umm-ing and ahhing about putting on mine but didn't in the end. Saying that, I think there are quite a few on there I don't know at all so looking forward to listening.

Betty Lavette's - "Stand Up Like A Man" has everything in it that I think makes a top record - brilliant lyrics, a powerful build and vocal with attitude - and i've always loved the brass in this.

Social source share

HI Guys, cds all going out today, apologies for delay, suffering serious technological breakdown, my deck finally blew up after much threats, and the cdr seems to do the opposite of what I tell it, so have a number of 3 track cd's to be used as plant pots.

Anyway track list as requested by someone, hope all is okay for people,

Tommy Hunt - Let Me Make You Happy (Capitol)

The Trends - Check My Tears (ABC)

Steve Mancha - I Dont Want To Lose You (Groovesville)

The Twentie Grans - Giving Up Your Love Is Like(Giving Up The World)

Mel Heuston - Searching (Cez Vista)

Diane Lewis - I Thank You Kindly (Wand)

Dee Dee Warwick - Gotta Get A Hold Of Myself (Blue Rock)

Wilie Tee - I'm Only A Man (Blue Rock)

Bobby Reed - I'll Find A Way (Loma)

Chuck Bernard - Bessie Girl (Zodiac)

Creations - Footsteps (Zodiac)

Deena Johnson - I'll Never Let You Down (Simpson)

Gayle Harris - Ain't Gonna Let It Get My Down (DCP)

Ivy Jo - I Can Feel The Pain (V.I.P)

Don Gardner - Your Love is Driving Me Crazy (Mr G)

Don Gardner - Somebodys Gonna Get Hurt (Tr-Glo-Town)

Patti Ward - (Girls) You Have To Wait For Love (Road)

George Jackson - I Don't Have The Time To Love You (Mercury)

Mitty Collier - My Party (Chess)

The Fantastic Four - I Feel Like Im Falling In Love Again (SOUL)

Patti Labelle - All Or Nothing (Atlantic)

Tommy Tate - Are You From Heaven (Okeh)

Lee Charles - Standing On The Outside (Revue)

Ben E King - A Man Without A Dream (Atco)

Brenda Holloway - I've Got To Find It (Tamla)

Charles Conrad with Soul Bros Inc - Isnt It Amazing (Shandy)

Frankie Saunders - Take Another Look (Jauna)

Al Wilson - Be Concerned (Playboy)

Eddie Parker - Crying Clown (Triple cool.gif

Hope the quality is okay, had to record from mini turntable, 2 tracks skipped a little which dont on my normal tt.

ANyway let me know, a couple of things from earlier posts

Barbarra Mason - Make It Last she is backed by the Futures.

The Fantastic Four you refer to Chalky was a huge play at Allanton, so much so when I played down South Roger Banks would have a stock ready to sell to questioning punters!!

Chalkie, how much is the Jimmy Burns now a days, one of the few I sold but have never seen another since. One of my all time top faves.

Got most of the cd's yesterday, will get round to them probably next week and will post mid week

Cheers

Jock

PS Having not pulled some of these out for 5 years (and more) thought they would be much slower than were (some anyway), must be sign of my age!!

Social source share

im afraid i am still burning mine slow but steady.

heres track list

01 Charlie McCoy my baby's back again monument 02:45

02 Barbara and the Beleivers what can happen to me now Capitol 02:08

03 Len Wade what you gonna do Dial 02:04

04 Paulette & the cupids he'll wait on me Prism 02:13

05 Rudy Ludaway what's wrong baby UA 03:03

06 Argie & the arkettes your the guy Ronnies 02:10

07 Cannonball you keep tellig me yes Reflections 03:27

08 Rosie & the originals i dont understand Hot Wax 02:05

09 Jamie Power theres no living Jamie 02:41

10 Linda hall theres always you Jerden 02:16

11 Gene Redding i need your loving Bell 02:42

12 Bobby Callender my baby changes like the weather Bamboo 02:17

13 Harold Currington one day girl Tad 02:18

14 Betty Johnson it aint supposed to be that way Decca 02:36

15 Johnny Vanneli a little something to sleep on Blue dolphin 02:50

16 Carolyn Byrd goodbye the one Lionel 02:48

17 Four Counts a home in loveland Lyndel 03:25

18 Good Company my ship is coming in Polydor 03:13

19 Van McCoy and friends with all my heart S S S 02:47

20 Patti Allen send my baby back Coumbia 02:58

21 125th street candy store silent heart Fania 02:24

22 Cynthia & the imaginery 3 thats what i am Big Hit 03:22

23 The Plaids ask the lonely It will stand 03:05

24 Tasha Thomas i saw the sky Roulette 02:31

25 The Soundsations the moment Bye 02:35

26 Pat Sands loving him Sussex 02:00

27 Liberation love looks good on you S.O.A. 02:53

28 The petals you cant close the windows Mercury 02:30

29 Ed Summers i can tell Soya 03:46

hope you find some in there to please you.

mark

Social source share

Guest DeeJay

Just recieved 3 cd's today Nick G, Chalksters & one with no name but it's got a nice sleeve and includes Ocean Of Love - Nancy Wilson First Track. So far listening to Nick's cd really enjoying it Top Tune so far is Fantastic Four (never heard it b 4) How much does it go for? I was going to put Al Green on mine good record ironically i did put Buddy Conner on (great minds think a like ace choon) That's as far as i've got Well done chaps

DJ

Social source share

Going on me hols today thanks to for the cds will have loads to listen to on the long drive to france if anybody dosnt recive a cd in the post please PM me and i will do another and post it when i get back . Fave track at the moment Has to be "Harlem " Bill withers, but havent heard them all yet.

Cheers Miff

Social source share

Chalkie, how much is the Jimmy Burns now a days, one of the few I sold but have never seen another since. One of my all time top faves.

Can't remember the last time I saw one and I've seen very few over the years actually listed. Last one was £150 and the one before a ton. Great record that should get more exposure IMO.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert