45s Associated With Certain'Current'Venues

Guest ShaneH

welcome aboard Paul :lol:

we are looking for tunes associated with recent/current venues though mate.

any ideas?

Shane

Sharon Scott-dont be afraid --100 club

Bob Kuban-wait until tomorrow--Bradford

Social source share

• Replies 64
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Stuart T

What about Scenesville they must have some rare one off's that are spun there :lol:

All the Andy Rix/Rob Thomas stuff really got its regular London showcase at Scenesville. Also things like Cecil Washington, and a couple of Nick's cover ups especially, just can't remember the names of them off the top of my head, they're still on the website somewhere I think, or were last time I looked at it.

Social source share

'Richard Bergman' Oct 6 2005, 01:15

ANNABELLE FOX - LONELY GIRL - SATIN - (100 CLUB)

I quite agree with this one............which is why I got a copy a while back........my pride and joy...................

I'd also add

George Pep "The Feeling Is Real" 100 Club.........Butch claimed it was George Bampton

Little Walter and The Admirations "Man O Man" which was always played straight after the above and was (amoungst other cover up names) known to me as Cynthia Davis.........

Social source share

Jimmy Raye - Grab It

Heard it once and never heard again at the very 1st Rocket Niter - so does remind me iof that venue (saying that only went the once - could not get my head around people stood around on the dancefloor - oh and the fil crew follwoing Mr Levine around!!)

Grant

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Jimmy Raye - Grab It

Heard it once and never heard again at the very 1st Rocket Niter - so does remind me iof that venue (saying that only went the once - could not get my head around people stood around on the dancefloor - oh and the fil crew follwoing Mr Levine around!!)

Grant

Never went but Rocket = 4 Vandals. :lol:

Social source share

'Richard Bergman' Oct 6 2005, 01:15

ANNABELLE FOX - LONELY GIRL - SATIN - (100 CLUB)

I quite agree with this one............which is why I got a copy a while back........my pride and joy...................

I'd also add

George Pep "The Feeling Is Real" 100 Club.........Butch claimed it was George Bampton

Little Walter and The Admirations "Man O Man" which was always played straight after the above and was (amoungst other cover up names) known to me as Cynthia Davis.........

George Pepp was first spun at Warrington Parr Hall I believe. Can'tr remember this being covered...always known it as it is :thumbsup:

Walter & Admirations was covered as G Davis & R. Tyler...reminds me of places like Blackburn...places where Butch was fast becoming the number one at the time, few years before his residency at the 100 club.

Social source share

Jordi, I have never believed that the most of old "Bretby" tunes were new discoveries but without doubt thats where most of them were played to a wider audiance, I know the Isleys was spun in Scotland for a couple of years but most soulies, certainly in the midlands know it as a Bretby record........

Chris.

Bretby revival night, Belvedere club, Burton on Trent,October 22nd......be there one last time!

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Lost me there. Brilliant tune, but everybody has played this this all the time in the back bedroom fot the last 25 years.

UNLESS its just me!

Exactly - in their back bedrooms ( or should I be looking out for flyers with ' Soulsmith's Bedroom' on them).

To be fair , my ears are a little more partial to records made south of the Mason / Dixie than most so it's more of a personnel association. And I don't remember hearing it out anywhere else.

Social source share

There are lots of records that remind me of Albrighton,

Rhetta Hughes-I Cried Myself To Sleep

Barbara Lynn-Movin On A Groove

to name but two

I always associate Barbara Lynne Movin on a Groove & Trying to Love Two with the 'Uptown Down South' Soul Nights at Abshott & the Allnighters at Newbury, along with a plethora of other things that were later claimed by other venues DJ's.

I remember playing the Barbara Lynne MOAG at the Bretby Nighter in the small crossover room & Bob Hinsley (Top bloke) raving over it, not too many weeks later this was massive for him at the Ritz & subsiquently every were.

I also remember taking my life in my hands by playing an 8ts record during one of my early 100 Club sets, Barbara Lynne TTLT, these day's probably not a major event, but back then this was pretty risky business & it went down a storm, just goes to show, be brave & beleive in ya toons.

Incidentally at the time you could buy TTLT from Soul Bowl for about £5 & MOAG for just slightly more.

About the same time as Abshott hammering these Kenny played it at Cleethorpes in an afternoon set to complete ambivelance.............cant keep a good tune down tho', now untouchable due to the bores playing both to death.

Russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert