Soul Music Record Fair Big Thanks

Big thanks to all the record dealers and people who turned up at the soul music record fair and swap meet, loads of wheeling and dealing going on between the dealers and I think most of them were happy with their day, will look into perhaps having another one towards the end of the year around October if the dealers feel it's worth doing we are certainly happy to do another event at the football club, raised a few quid for the football club which was well worth the effort.

Thousands of records to look through and a good day was had by all I think.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Edited by Mark Bicknell
  • Replies 28
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest sharmo 1

Hi mark great to see you again mate and all the lad's , it was a great day and your organisation helped us all.I didn't hear any moans apart from the odd dealer saying they'd spent more than they took !!! so that's a good thing.Loads of variety of records from soul, northern , southern ,deep ,funk , jazz funk/ fusion , reggae and ska.It's alway's a bit tricky this time of year with people on holiday/ going on holiday or just come back and a reflection on the economy at the moment can't be ignored.On the whole I for one would say it was a great sucess I won't mention the contraversial issue of the bacon sandwich situation regarding certain members of the Stoke gang Lol !!!!! please put me down for a table for the next one although Andrew D told me he starts the first course of his sex change operation so He may have to make a split decision over that one.Anyway many thank's and see you soon Si.

Mark, I really enjoyed the day, socially it was excellent, really great to catch up with everyone.

Sales wise it was well worthwhile, although with a catchment area as big as Manchester ther could have been more buyers in attendence.

I know people are used to buying records on the net these days but this has shown there is no substitute to actually getting out there and loking through boxes!

Great fun...I`ll be at the next one.

Chris

Mark, I really enjoyed the day, socially it was excellent, really great to catch up with everyone.

Sales wise it was well worthwhile, although with a catchment area as big as Manchester ther could have been more buyers in attendence.

I know people are used to buying records on the net these days but this has shown there is no substitute to actually getting out there and loking through boxes!

Great fun...I`ll be at the next one.

Chris

totally agree with you chris, felt like a kid in a sweet shop :yes: with a lot of fantastic tunes on offer it was a great way to spend a few hours on a sat afternoon, and a bit of nice chit chat too, oh and thanks for the tune and the discount Chris, both sides are top drawer fella :thumbsup:

and hats off to mark for organising it :hatsoff2:

Edited by grant
Guest oldsoulgit

Hi Mark . Had a great afternoon, just one gripe, could have done with some music being played all through the day, all in all a great day, i'll be at the next one cheers Jim.

I had a good day and good to catch up with people you rarely see these days. Could have done with a few more bodies through the door as there was so many quality records on offer, did surprise me with the large catchment area in the NW alone. Think most dealers went home happy having made a few quid. As said you can't beat actually going through the vinyl, internet doesn't compare, it's how most of us got what knowledge we have and the best way IMO to learn about the records, artists and labels.

Maybe the dealers should be given something like 30 minute sets so that the punters can actually hear some of the stuff on offer?

Had a good day, sold a few, bought a few and drank (more than) a few :D

Was worth going and would deffo do it again....though we were knackered come 3am in Burnley, so in hindsight might not do the full day & night thing again.

So Mark, your mission, should you choose to accept it.............try and pick a date when there's no allnighters on locally ( best of luck with that then :lol: )

Beggsy hogged the decks for the last hour or so and sold a few off the back of it.......definately a good way to sell lesser knowns, and also pricks your ears up to things you might be looking for but hadn't seen in the boxes you'd looked through.

Edited by Mace

So Mark, your mission, should you choose to accept it.............try and pick a date when there's no allnighters on locally ( best of luck with that then :lol: )

good point about the date, think the fact that two major all-nighters on with in about an hour maybe had an effect.

maybe Hyde a bit of the beaten track too??? Maybe somewhere more central to the transport network?

where ever the next one, will be there thumbsup.gif

Hi Mark . Had a great afternoon, just one gripe, could have done with some music being played all through the day, all in all a great day, i'll be at the next one cheers Jim.

Jim the decks were set up by me in the corner and it was clearley stated on the flyer and I told the dealers that it was there for the purpose of playing records which they might sell, we were only two handed mate Jac doing the food and me on the door so unable to be in two places at once otherwise we could have played a few maybe put a CD player in next time for background music.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

May do another one towards the end of the year Oct/Nov, take your point Chalky about Hyde being a little out of town but any funds raised yesterday went to the football club so I certainly would'nt go to another venue and give them the room hire etc. will certainly look at allnighter dates etc. if we do another one, thanks again to everyone who supported the event.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Jim the decks were set up by me in the corner and it was clearley stated on the flyer and I told the dealers that it was there for the purpose of playing records which they might sell, we were only two handed mate Jac doing the food and me on the door so unable to be in two places at once otherwise we could have played a few maybe put a CD player in next time for background music.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Bingo would be a nice touch :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

May do another one towards the end of the year Oct/Nov, take your point Chalky about Hyde being a little out of town but any funds raised yesterday went to the football club so I certainly would'nt go to another venue and give them the room hire etc. will certainly look at allnighter dates etc. if we do another one, thanks again to everyone who supported the event.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Understand your reason for Hyde Mark and no problem with it, it was just a though it might be too much trouble for some to get there and that there must be plenty of places with a free room that would be glad of the business on a Saturday afternoon in todays climate?

• Helpful 1

Understand your reason for Hyde Mark and no problem with it, it was just a though it might be too much trouble for some to get there and that there must be plenty of places with a free room that would be glad of the business on a Saturday afternoon in todays climate?

I know where you are coming from chalky Hyde is a bit out of the way, I know if Adrian the owner of the Greatstone was approached and it wasn't a match day then he would probably do it for free pretty central easy to get too by car bus or metro. And the decks are already on site so music can be played, with the 3 rooms now it is a good size. Just an idea Mark not trying to steal your thunder, will attend the next one wherever it is. Well done Mark,

Yes very well done Mark it was fab catching up with all the""faces" there, really enjoyed the day. Little sad it confirmed my uncontrollable addiction to vinyl as I well home with several hundred more records than I came with.

Like everyone's said you can't beat digging through vinyl - the standard of records there was superb. You'd have to spend a year solid in the USA to see that many fine soul 45s at a record fair. I had a great time, so friendly too. How often are you gonna do them? I'll be at the next for sure...

Yes very well done Mark it was fab catching up with all the""faces" there, really enjoyed the day. Little sad it confirmed my uncontrollable addiction to vinyl as I well home with several hundred more records than I came with.

Like everyone's said you can't beat digging through vinyl - the standard of records there was superb. You'd have to spend a year solid in the USA to see that many fine soul 45s at a record fair. I had a great time, so friendly too. How often are you gonna do them? I'll be at the next for sure...

I know you naughty man and you ran out of cheques lol, seems that we need to avoid allnighters being on the same day so I will look at October for the next one and we can see how that one goes I might even get my arse in gear and also have a table and get rid of some of the many boxes upstairs lol, glad you all had a fun day and you are right John in the couple of boxes I looked through the standard of records was first class on offer.

You got some nice new fifty count boxes as well John in one of your many deals yesterday lol

Regards - Mark.

I enjoyed the craic yesterday at the Hyde record fair during the first leg of our marathon tour of Greater Manchester and district, and the only downside today is that I don't want to see another 45 or motorway sign for a few days at least :no:blink.gif:lol:

Enjoyed it even if it was a horrendous trip up the M1 / M6 wipers on all the way!

As Chalky says it's these types of events where you learn so much, and a good laugh catching up with everyone too. Quite a few obscure things around in the boxes. :thumbsup: Could do with a few more "locals" and travelling collectors though.

Steve

I enjoyed the craic yesterday at the Hyde record fair during the first leg of our marathon tour of Greater Manchester and district, and the only downside today is that I don't want to see another 45 or motorway sign for a few days at least :no:blink.gif:lol:

Bet the air is a bit 'fresher' down your way as well eh pal wink.gif:D

Thanks for driving us around yesterday Mike, hope that bare faced liar Des stayed awake for the rest of your return trip home...:lol:

Enjoyed it even if it was a horrendous trip up the M1 / M6 wipers on all the way!

As Chalky says it's these types of events where you learn so much, and a good laugh catching up with everyone too. Quite a few obscure things around in the boxes. :thumbsup: Could do with a few more "locals" and travelling collectors though.

Steve

Good to see you Steve although it was a brief hello at the door, perhaps catch up next time, saw you deep at it digging allday and you looked like you were having fun, agree about a few more local and travelling collectors attending but what can you do it was well promoted, thinking of maybe doing the next one on a Sunday to avoid clashing with allnighters etc feedback on this would be most helpful.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Guest tee cee

Hi Mark,

Thoroughly enjoyable day out with a great selection of records on show and at affordable prices.

Definitely worth making the trip up from South London.

If you change to a sunday the 30th october would be good as it is the day after the Manchester record fair.

Trevor.

Good to see you Steve although it was a brief hello at the door, perhaps catch up next time, saw you deep at it digging allday and you looked like you were having fun, agree about a few more local and travelling collectors attending but what can you do it was well promoted, thinking of maybe doing the next one on a Sunday to avoid clashing with allnighters etc feedback on this would be most helpful.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark

After niters people will go home to bed. Think Saturday is best.

Steve

Hi Mark

After niters people will go home to bed. Think Saturday is best.

Steve

Totally agree with this.

Nov 5th looks a good date imo Mark, only niter on that date (at the moment) is in London.

I'll be going Sandbach J17 that night, so also gives Des and Wilxy an option to go somewhere which ain't a late finish whilst up here before shooting back down to Worzilleville :D

Totally agree with this.

Nov 5th looks a good date imo Mark, only niter on that date (at the moment) is in London.

I'll be going Sandbach J17 that night, so also gives Des and Wilxy an option to go somewhere which ain't a late finish whilst up here before shooting back down to Worzilleville :D

Dodgy date that Mace......bonfires, fireworks and the methane you produce....could be a recipe for disaster :yes:

Source Advert