Soulsource Record Club Record Of The Day 2012

dthedrug

Dave

I'm in your gang,one of the great Wigan tunes.Managed to track one down before Christmas.

Cheers

Martyn

:hatsoff2: Martyn trying to locate the Q back then was a very hard for me I did not see it on lists, I eventually got a copy of some bloke who was after some Billy? along with the VOWS TELL ME VIP TOMMY GOOD CAN TAMLA and about 20 pressings, he seemed very pleased with the gram, I am sure that he was to far gone to realise what he was doing? then again compared with today most record boxes that the dancers had always had some thing in them, and often I would see something rare in a box as k how much are your records they would say some price, And I would say I will give you £20 for the box it was like taking candy from a baby, and better still if they wanted some billy as what was on offer was usually crap, most people who got it from me cut it half to sell and get there money back? :thumbup: DAVE 60
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: Martyn trying to locate the Q back then was a very hard for me I did not see it on lists, I eventually got a copy of some bloke who was after some Billy? along with the VOWS TELL ME VIP TOMMY GOOD CAN TAMLA and about 20 pressings, he seemed very pleased with the gram, I am sure that he was to far gone to realise what he was doing? then again compared with today most record boxes that the dancers had always had some thing in them, and often I would see something rare in a box as k how much are your records they would say some price, And I would say I will give you £20 for the box it was like taking candy from a baby, and better still if they wanted some billy as what was on offer was usually crap, most people who got it from me cut it half to sell and get there money back? :thumbup: DAVE 60

Dave

Happy days............I wonder if that tactic will still work...........swapping my cholesterol tablets for a box of records doesn't have the same ring though does it :D :D :D

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Bit of 70t's from me today.This is hidden away on the B side of one of there hits......Armed & Extremely Dangerous

By far the better side & would love to hear it out.

First Choice-Gonna Keep On Lovin Him Philly Groove

Cheers

Martyn

That's a cracking record mate....I want one! :yes:

Social source share

This morning's offering; Probably better known I would think by The Shades of Blue from their Happiness LP. Another testimony to the talents of Barney 'Duke' Browner. I think this must have been the first track he and Harry Balk cut when they moved to Motown after absorbing Impact into the Hitsville family of labels. not an out and out dancer like the SOB version but a great record nevertheless. One of Bev's top 10 so it must be a good!

Regards,

Dave

https://youtu.be/nVun5AHHZNI

If people can't dance to this DAVE, they ought to take up a new hobby, superb record....Dripping Soul and quality....

Social source share

This afternoons offering: From a group of ladies who are I suppose, something of an acquired taste. I like most of their outings. This is a great Goffin/King song and it's been done by many soul artists but I particularly like this version. I'd imagine the girls were young teens when they recorded this. I have it on a nice Charmain WDJ.

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

Guest east rob

That's a cracking record mate....I want one! :yes:

so do I!

just got one of evilbay for less than a fiver :thumbup: .

another cheapie from me, just the way i like em! :D

Social source share

Up-tempo girlie dancer from me today.Plenty of plays on the nighter scene awhile back,well worth a reactivation I think.

The footage shows it on Shurfine label whereas mines on Josie,I was told the Josie copy is a stronger recording but not got a Shurfine copy to compare?????

The Ravenettes-Since You Been Gone Josie

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Up-tempo girlie dancer from me today.Plenty of plays on the nighter scene awhile back,well worth a reactivation I think.

The footage shows it on Shurfine label whereas mines on Josie,I was told the Josie copy is a stronger recording but not got a Shurfine copy to compare?????

The Ravenettes-Since You Been Gone Josie

Cheers

Martyn

Morning Martyn, I do like my girlie dancers, and as you say, this one's due for a reactivation! Class Tune!

Social source share

Todays choice from the box.....Cheryl Gray - "You Don't Love Me Anymore"

A bit too fast for my aged legs these days though!

Paul

Bloody hell I've come out in a sweat just thinking about dancing to this........up-tempo girlie dancer indeed :D

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

This evening's offering: There's a reason why songs get covered by different artists in different styles and genres, It's cos they're fantastic songs that stand the test of time. This is one of them. Combine it with the superlative vocals of Mr Johnson and hey presto! Soul music of the ginormous kind. Great record.

Regards,

Dave

https://youtu.be/Urai00gfM_o

Social source share

This is my tomorrows choice, but not sure I'll get time in the morning, so posting it early....

The great Jerry Butler with his version of "I'm the one who loves you"

Social source share

Guest east rob

This evening's offering: There's a reason why songs get covered by different artists in different styles and genres, It's cos they're fantastic songs that stand the test of time. This is one of them. Combine it with the superlative vocals of Mr Johnson and hey presto! Soul music of the ginormous kind. Great record.

Regards,

Dave

great song :hatsoff2:

this version in my box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=johW-RkkSRQ

Social source share

Dave/Rob

There's an interview in Soul Up North fanzine with Steve Alimo who was an artist but probably better known as a producer said in the article that it is 98% song 2% artist & this is born out when you get great songs covered & they all sound great..............I've heard loads of versions of "Fever" even instrumentals & have yet to hear a bad one.........."Comin' Home Baby" is another.I suppose that's why some of the writers are so highly thought of.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Great cheap double-sider from me today.First up is an evergreen oldie that was a Wheel oldie I think (I'm sure one of the older boys will let me know if I'm wrong :D )??T'other side has had the odd play but not as many as it should have imo,maybe time yet.

Spellbinders-Chain Reaction Columbia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zptKKLgGrGA

Spellbinders-A Little On The Blue Side Columbia

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

This afternoons offering: Used to get a few plays about 15 years ago but never really took off. I was luck enough to locate a 50 count box of demos at Sunshine Records which went out at a couple of quid each. This trio lost Mr Jones and morphed into Ferguson, Davis and Lee who had a couple of releases on GRT and Chess. I still pull it out every now and then (Ooh Err Missus!).

Regards,

Dave

https://youtu.be/TUQOKX5VbzQ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This morning's offering: BIG statement coming up.........My favourite Conwell/Len Jewell collaboration! The kind of record that typifies the Sunday Soul Brunch of Hitsville's Weekenders. Nothing better....few scoops in the sunshine, guys playing records of this quality all afternoon, feet tapping, appreciating soul music how it should be. (for us anyway! :lol: ) I have this on a nice White Gemini Demo which I have to say you don't see much in really good nick for some reason. West Coast magicians at work.

Regards,

Dave

https://youtu.be/bfo0m2GNT7w

• Helpful 3
Social source share

This morning's offering: BIG statement coming up.........My favourite Conwell/Len Jewell collaboration! The kind of record that typifies the Sunday Soul Brunch of Hitsville's Weekenders. Nothing better....few scoops in the sunshine, guys playing records of this quality all afternoon, feet tapping, appreciating soul music how it should be. (for us anyway! :lol: ) I have this on a nice White Gemini Demo which I have to say you don't see much in really good nick for some reason. West Coast magicians at work.

Regards,

Dave

'kin tune David my man........

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

By heck boys some brill stuff been posted,hearing new stuff every day :thumbsup:

Digging through my records yesterday looking for something & I came across this & gave it a whirl,it blew me away as I'd forgotten how good it sounds.

Gayle Harris-Ain't Gonna Let It Get Me Down DCP

Cheers

Martyn

PS Radcliffe for me tomorrow,anyone else going?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

This from me today ! Margo and the Marvettes "When love slips away" recorded in 1967

This is a live version from 2008 recorded in Pickwicks club in Magaluff Majorca which i think she and her husband own

She still has it !

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL TODAYS DAVES FAVE RAVE, IS A NORTHERN SOUL CLASSIC that I got from Andy Spencer in 74 at WIGAN, and had it nicked in 77, only to get it back in 2007 from the West Midland PORG AKA Lil Dave Weldon at KEELE, I was just chatting about it, 7 like magic he had a copy, So for your Musical Pleasure a Classic Northern Soul Sound, you just have to get1 GINO PARKS-NERVES of STEEL - CRAZY HORSE1303 A*****RECORD, OH YES IT IS? VALUE £60 Maybe more or less who cares when people spend £££s on crap, this is real SOUL?

OH YES IT IS! :rofl: DAVE60...THIS IS MY COPY :Dpost-13241-0-26972400-1327712514_thumb.j

https://youtu.be/CkJ2Mv0tamg

Social source share

Really wanted to take Dave's lead & post a soulful tune on Crazy Horse (Billy Robinson & The Burners - Shucks You Left The Fire Burning) but couldn't find it :(

So will have to make do with one from the master.

Walter Jackson-After You There Can Be Nothing OKeh

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share