Soulsource Record Club Record Of The Day 2012

dthedrug

Here's one that went down rather well last night.Same backing as "Ordinary Joe"

Harvey Averne-Central Park Uptite

Cheers

Martyn

PS I wanted to put Harvey's version Of "Wishing & Hoping" up but couldn't find it on You Tube as in my opinion it's far superior to Billy Keene's............could have put an mp3 up Chalky would only slap my legs :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

This from me !

fell in love with this years ago ,

poor production slightly out of tune musicians etc but what a beautiful record

recorded in a garage actually has sold over a million over the years

she has dined out on it ever since and still preforms it !

If you haven't heard it give it a go !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8lD1iq3d_o&feature=related

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

This may have been posted on the other thread already but I make no real apology as I'm all giddy as I've just got one,it's a massive want of mine for a long time.I've got a Rock Candy copy but really wanted the first issue as it has the inst on the other side which is brilliant (couldn't find it on You Tube or I'd have posted that),yes I know the vocal will always be better then the inst but I just think it's really worth a play..........don't you just love that feeling when track along time want

down :D :D :D :D

The Contemplations-Alone With No Love Dontee

Cheers

Martyn

PS.Can anyone give a definitive answer on if the blue label Rock Candy copies are boots or not,there's lots of different opinions but I've never found out for definite either way?Personally can't see why it was booted when it was never a massive record????

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This afternoon's offering: Half finished track found by Martin Koppell back in the very early 90s in the Solid Hitbound library he managed to buy from Don Davis. Same masters gave us Edwin Starr "Has It Happened to You" and a number of alternate takes by Joey Kingfish and The Professionals. I love this track, very reminiscent of Darrell Banks "I'm The One Who Loves You. Released by Martin and Tim B on their Sevens label.

Regards,

Dave

https://youtu.be/XzItK3nslvo

Social source share

Here's one that went down rather well last night.Same backing as "Ordinary Joe"

Harvey Averne-Central Park Uptite

Cheers

Martyn

PS I wanted to put Harvey's version Of "Wishing & Hoping" up but couldn't find it on You Tube as in my opinion it's far superior to Billy Keene's............could have put an mp3 up Chalky would only slap my legs :D

Here you are Martyn,

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1wDHUIDqa0&feature=youtu.be

Edited by donkit
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Takes me back to been 17.........last year :wicked:

Issues are Pink if memory serves me right?Remember a lad in Hull getting a load if the 70t's from Holland???

Cheers

Martyn

It's got pink on it ! Great tune managed to get one myself a couple of years ago !

Andy

561+Florence+Devore+%5B%5D+-+Kiss+Me+Now

Social source share

Slightly faster cut than the Paula release

:hatsoff2: HI ALL This is a lot rarer than the Paula and I still have my copy from a batch I got very cheap in the 80s and like most of the records i sold in the VIC (Wolves) they escalated up in price £5 back then, I suppose for such a good record it must be £60+ to-day if you can find one? NICE RECORD, THAT BELONGS IN EVERY SOUL BOX.

:thumbup: DAVE

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ted

Thanks for that but for some reason I get the same warning come up & can't play it just the same ad Don's post???

I have no problem playing any other post??????

Cheers

Martyn

strangege as i can play it

Ted

This is the warning I get..............

This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it on copyright grounds

???????

Using Firefox,so just tried Internet Explorer & got the same warning?????

Cheers

Martyn

The plot thickens Ted, I can play mine but the one you posted up I can't ? Same error message as Martyn ?

Don

younwould have thought any publicity is good publicity hope you are well Don

Ted, your upload has been blocked by WMG, It will always let you (the uploader) play it, but if you check your upload in your channel vid manager it will have a message "video blocked in some countries" next to it, if you click that link it will tell you which countries it's blocked (being WMG, it's probs world wide!) I get this quite a few times on my Youtube channel :( WMG are really inconsistant as well, sometimes "flagged" but playable world wide, sometimes lists blocked in a list of over 100 countries!! (checked the list once and found my vid was still playable in Jordan??? :D ) and some times just blocks 'em in Germany??

hth

Steve

Social source share

Ted, your upload has been blocked by WMG, It will always let you (the uploader) play it, but if you check your upload in your channel vid manager it will have a message "video blocked in some countries" next to it, if you click that link it will tell you which countries it's blocked (being WMG, it's probs world wide!) I get this quite a few times on my Youtube channel :( WMG are really inconsistant as well, sometimes "flagged" but playable world wide, sometimes lists blocked in a list of over 100 countries!! (checked the list once and found my vid was still playable in Jordan??? :D ) and some times just blocks 'em in Germany??

hth

Steve

Cheers Steve crazy really cause it could sell em more records

Social source share

This afternoon's offering: Probably better known by Gil Bernal on RCA but this is Smokey's original from the Away We A Go Go LP. Written by Mr Robinson it's a really classy outing that isn't a 'beatish' as Gil Bernal's but has that full lush orchestral sound that Smokey would become so adept at and of course Smokey's signature vocals. Both great versions and I have both but Smokey's JUST edges it for me.

Regards,

Dave

https://youtu.be/KKoIVMpmmek

Social source share

This afternoon's offering: Probably better known by Gil Bernal on RCA but this is Smokey's original from the Away We A Go Go LP. Written by Mr Robinson it's a really classy outing that isn't a 'beatish' as Gil Bernal's but has that full lush orchestral sound that Smokey would become so adept at and of course Smokey's signature vocals. Both great versions and I have both but Smokey's JUST edges it for me.

Regards,

Dave

Always liked Smokey's original better myself Dave, got this on a strange "pink" Tamla boot, dunno why it was ever booted like this, any ideas?

steve

post-2142-0-83539600-1326208498_thumb.jp

Social source share

Always liked Smokey's original better myself Dave, got this on a strange "pink" Tamla boot, dunno why it was ever booted like this, any ideas?

steve

I've not seen that before. Strange as it uses the color of the early Motown label but the front of the early Tamla label eh? I wouldn't have thought this particular track would warrant bootlegging would you? What would be the market? Thanks for posting it though.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

I've not seen that before. Strange as it uses the color of the early Motown label but the front of the early Tamla label eh? I wouldn't have thought this particular track would warrant bootlegging would you? What would be the market? Thanks for posting it though.

Regards,

Dave

yeah you'd think if they were gonna boot it on early Tamla they'd have used yellow? no idea of the market Dave, not our's for sure? maybe for the "Island" market? (flip is "Depend On Me" which was on the flip of "Way Over There" in 1960)

steve

Social source share

Joe Bataan's take on the Jimmy Conwell classic, my fav. version these days

Joe Bataan "Under the Street Lamp"

steve

Steve

Ended my set at York on Saturday with the Exits version which just shades it for me but it's a close run thing as they are both brilliant.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Something a tad different from me today,I just find this so hypnotic.Always conjures up visions of a smoke filled basement club with a small stage in the corner with a spotlight focused on Yvonne sat on a stool singing this???

Yvonne Baker-Eyes Argo

Cheers

Martyn

Always loved this track Martyn, Yvonne cut some great music with the Sensations she also co-wrote this with Tommy Wicks out of the Sensations :thumbsup:

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest east rob

after daves post of the smokey lp track, a version of a song written for smokey.

bobby callender

Edited by east rob
Social source share