Lea Manor

Guest soulboy

we've covered this ground, i think last year. there were pictures in the shropshire star when it suffered an arson attack, badly damaged inside...amazing its actually still standing...i really thought everyone knew about the manor's circumstances. truly a great venue and THE ONE that broadened my horizons from a musical perspective. even fortunate enough to get to dj there....such was the set up there, no residents...a different line-up of djs every month and the music policy was also across the board regardless of the fact it wasnt a 2 roomer, although for the all-nighters martin, tate & lynn did use the rear lounge. im of a mind that lea manor carried the torch after totw and as it stands now, the windsor suite & junction 11 are very much carrying on the trend ( appologies, to name just two! )

yes, the lea manor hotel was a landmark venue for thinking man's music...its such a shame its suffering a lingering death.

Edited by AGENTSMITH
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

JUST TO STIR THE MEMORIES....why dont you all check DAVE RIMMER'S SOULFULKINDAMUSIC WEBSITE to look at the very last all-nighter playlist in its entirety, compiled by yours truly, its a real eye opener and a brilliant line-up of djs to give the old dog a fitting send-off....

how about posting up some piccys if anyone's got any out there?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest soulboy

i know we covered it before , the photos were taken yesterday 27th feb 2012 , dont go past that often so i was just keeping you people up dated on it,im sure it wont be long till its knocked down , Mel if your reading this as you can see the sign is still on the wall !

Social source share

So sad, such wonderful memories. Musically it pushed boundaries and pressed all the right buttons...It was Superb.The building still looks better on the outside then some of the Dives I've visited (and still visit :facepalm: )

Lets hope it gets saved...some Bonus Banker puts his hands in his pocket...Probably turn it into a Balti House ... :ohmy:

Social source share

I remember the thread and photo's prior to this and also recall how sad it was to see the place die a slow death, unlike the BCD events. My favourite soul venue EVER, people, music, venue, just brilliant, lots of good friends made there and had the great honour to play a couple of sets and and became an "Albrighton Allstar" alongside the best DJ's and Collector's in the land.

David.

Social source share

Guest soulboy

bit ironic but some one as set fire to the lea manor today ,i dont know how to add videos but if you go to shropshire star web page there is a video on there , if it looked bad in pics above its well fooked now .time to put it out of its pain i think .

Social source share

bit ironic but some one as set fire to the lea manor today ,i dont know how to add videos but if you go to shropshire star web page there is a video on there , if it looked bad in pics above its well fooked now .time to put it out of its pain i think .

just seen it in paper, looks worse than the last one but whats really heartbreaking is the fact someone's got a twisted cruel mind...whoever the scum is, obviously realises the significance of this building to many and are appropriately taking a course of action that sentences the building to a lingering death....well perhaps now, the local authorities will do the decent thing and bulldoze it so least we can still preserve the good memories we had of it.

Social source share

Guest soulboy

it was on radio about it to , the owners sounded well p*ssed off they have got planning to convert it in to 2 homes , so it dont sound like its any thing to do with them ,im suprised not that many people seem intrested in the manor i know its long gone now but ten years ago , it was the dogs gonads as pedro whould have said .

Social source share

it was on radio about it to , the owners sounded well p*ssed off they have got planning to convert it in to 2 homes , so it dont sound like its any thing to do with them ,im suprised not that many people seem intrested in the manor i know its long gone now but ten years ago , it was the dogs gonads as pedro whould have said .

top venue bro, groundbreakin' tunes, big happy families, dancers & crate diggers,...wether you were on the floor or hoggin the bar, the earholes were firmly pinned to the music and the dj's were thoroughly appreciated,...great hosts as well,lynn, tate & martyn. thank fook it wont become a retirement home either...its holy ground and should be treated as such!....and there ought to be a plaque erected on the spot.

Social source share

Guest soulboy

right place right time may be defo ahead of its time . i still cant find anything that is a tiny bit as good as behind closed doors

Social source share

Guest BigCitySoul Brum

A real shame had many a great nights down the road for me too,i djed couple of times for col kidson and larry mc great times

Social source share

Guest garysoul82

Will pass this on to Martyn Bradley he will be gutted....

Me and my late wife stayed over there at a stafford themed night and we had brilliant night.The music was

was always fresh and inventive.

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Just thought I would like to update you on the Lea Manor. Yesterday I spoke to a builder who stated that the owner has now had full permission for Residential use and development is or has already started. He didnt know if this meant demolishing the building or turning the place in to flats.

Social source share

I remember either buying/trading this off Keith Williams at one of the Lea Manor all-nighters when it was getting big plays, and as stated previously, the place had a certain something at the time that was a bit different from the "norm" and its punters made for great company in what I personally revere as one of my favourite all-nighters to date :yes: ........such a shame to see it in its current guise :(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!