The Greatest Northern Danceable 'slowie'....assuming You Agree There Is Such A Thing

Guest Brooky

i do like fast , but saying that one of the greatest soul stirring , tear whelling tunes i have ever heard is one of the slowest

and have never heard it played out , maybe for that reason

show me the time by.... sir ceaser

thanks for reminding me, not heard in a long while.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What is the difference between a "slowie" and a "shuffler" ?

A ballad is walking pace, really down tempo, basically it isnt in general a dancer. A Beat ballad is what it says, a ballad with a beat and cause it has a beat it could be a dancer. Mid tempo Is neither fast nor slow so a mid tempo track would be too fast for this topic in reality.. Many of those mentioned are mid tempo.

Social source share

A ballad is walking pace, really down tempo, basically it isnt in general a dancer. A Beat ballad is what it says, a ballad with a beat and cause it has a beat it could be a dancer. Mid tempo Is neither fast nor slow so a mid tempo track would be too fast for this topic in reality.. Many of those mentioned are mid tempo.

All depends how fast you walk then, or how long or short your legs are :lol:

Seriously, a lot of the stuff on here (especially what I've posted) I consider 'slowie' records. They are tunes I wouldn't usually play out as a rule although I have done (albeit years ago when there was more of a call for the slower tempo).

Social source share

'Crying Clown' - Mid-tempo (I also mentioned that btw)

'The Drifter' - Ballad.

Chalky's right though, a lot are Midtempo and the topic starter asked about Ballads.

Len.

P.s - Joan, there is a call for the slower tempo....you just can't hear me calling over all the blo*dy loud stompers that are being played! :yes:

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

'Crying Clown' - Mid-tempo (I also mentioned that btw)

'The Drifter' - Ballad.

Chalky's right though, a lot are Midtempo and the topoic starter asked about Ballads.

Len.

P.s - Joan, there is a call for the slower tempo....you just can't hear me calling over all the blo*dy load stompers that are being played!) :yes:

drifter ...wow ! great tune ..... :yes: ......roy hamilton , panic is on , anything by Roy hamilton , i have been told i love a crooner , they were right

Social source share

Beats per minute measure tempo, we deal with basically three, up, mid and ballad but other use different terms such as Joan.

But the proper definitions are.....This will really confuse you now and give it all a whole new meaning :lol:

(from Wikipedia)

Basic tempo markings

All of these markings are based on a few root words. By adding an -issimo ending the word is amplified/made louder, by adding an -ino or -etto ending the word is diminished/made softer. The metronome marks are broad approximations. Note: Metronome markings are a guide only and depending on the time signature and the piece itself, these figures may not be appropriate in every circumstance.

Larghissimo " very, very slow (20 bpm and below)

Grave " slow and solemn (20-40 bpm)

Lento " slowly (40-60 bpm)

Largo " broadly (40-60 bpm)

Larghetto " rather broadly (60-66 bpm)

Adagio " slow and stately (literally, "at ease") (66-76 bpm)

Adagietto " rather slow (70-80 bpm)

Andante moderato " a bit slower than andante

Andante " at a walking pace (76-108 bpm)

Andantino - slightly faster than andante (although in some cases it can be taken to mean slightly slower than andante)

Moderato " moderately (108-120 bpm)

Marcia Moderato " moderately, in the manner of a march

Allegretto " moderately fast (but less so than allegro)

Allegro moderato " moderately quick (112-124 bpm)

Allegro " fast, quickly and bright (120-168 bpm)

Vivace " lively and fast (¢°í"¹" 140 bpm) (quicker than allegro)

Vivacissimo " very fast and lively

Allegrissimo " very fast

Presto " very fast (168-200 bpm)

Prestissimo " extremely fast (more than 200bpm)

Additional Terms:

A piacere " the performer may use his own discretion with regard to tempo and rhythm; literally "at pleasure"[4]

L'istesso tempo or Lo stesso tempo " at the same speed

Tempo comodo " at a comfortable (normal) speed

Tempo di... " the speed of a ... (such as Tempo di valse (speed of a waltz), Tempo di marcia (speed of a march))

Tempo giusto " at a consistent speed, at the 'right' speed, in strict tempo

Tempo semplice " simple, regular speed, plainly

[edit]Common qualifiers

Social source share

All depends how fast you walk then, or how long or short your legs are :lol:

Seriously, a lot of the stuff on here (especially what I've posted) I consider 'slowie' records. They are tunes I wouldn't usually play out as a rule although I have done (albeit years ago when there was more of a call for the slower tempo).

No comments on the leg sizes!

Ah yes the good old days when Maurice Long I Don't Love You Anymore was a stomper compared to some of my other plays. Does that fit the bill? 99% of the stuff on here is nowhere near a ballad for me, quite amazing the change in current day scene views I suspect.

I do think in amazement of some of the slow stuff I got away with***, mostly at Allanton admittedly, and suspect I would be talking in a very high pitched voice if I even tried it in current times. Like lots of things right time right place I suppose back in the day for some slower things at loads of venues, and it was the exception rather than the rule, despite how some of those tempo terrorist try to rewrite history.

*** And yes I know nobody payed a blind bit of attention to what I played after 6, just no need to say it out loud, okay!

I will have a dig tonight and think of some of the stuff I got away with, back in the day, sure if Old Man Walls is reading it, he will remind me of some, he used to moan enough about them at the time..... :P

Social source share

Beats per minute measure tempo, we deal with basically three, up, mid and ballad but other use different terms such as Joan.

But the proper definitions are.....This will really confuse you now and give it all a whole new meaning :lol:

(from Wikipedia)

Basic tempo markings

All of these markings are based on a few root words. By adding an -issimo ending the word is amplified/made louder, by adding an -ino or -etto ending the word is diminished/made softer. The metronome marks are broad approximations. Note: Metronome markings are a guide only and depending on the time signature and the piece itself, these figures may not be appropriate in every circumstance.

Larghissimo " very, very slow (20 bpm and below)

Grave " slow and solemn (20-40 bpm)

Lento " slowly (40-60 bpm)

Largo " broadly (40-60 bpm)

Larghetto " rather broadly (60-66 bpm)

Adagio " slow and stately (literally, "at ease") (66-76 bpm)

Adagietto " rather slow (70-80 bpm)

Andante moderato " a bit slower than andante

Andante " at a walking pace (76-108 bpm)

Andantino - slightly faster than andante (although in some cases it can be taken to mean slightly slower than andante)

Moderato " moderately (108-120 bpm)

Marcia Moderato " moderately, in the manner of a march

Allegretto " moderately fast (but less so than allegro)

Allegro moderato " moderately quick (112-124 bpm)

Allegro " fast, quickly and bright (120-168 bpm)

Vivace " lively and fast (¢°í"¹" 140 bpm) (quicker than allegro)

Vivacissimo " very fast and lively

Allegrissimo " very fast

Presto " very fast (168-200 bpm)

Prestissimo " extremely fast (more than 200bpm)

Additional Terms:

A piacere " the performer may use his own discretion with regard to tempo and rhythm; literally "at pleasure"[4]

L'istesso tempo or Lo stesso tempo " at the same speed

Tempo comodo " at a comfortable (normal) speed

Tempo di... " the speed of a ... (such as Tempo di valse (speed of a waltz), Tempo di marcia (speed of a march))

Tempo giusto " at a consistent speed, at the 'right' speed, in strict tempo

Tempo semplice " simple, regular speed, plainly

[edit]Common qualifiers

CRUMBS! :huh:

Len :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!