Question About Two Uk Label Groups (Chosen Few And Detours)

boba

Hi. I'm hoping someone could help me with some information about two groups that cut records on UK labels.

There was a group called the Chosen Few that cut records on UK Polydor and a couple other labels. Someone told me that this might be the Jamaican group (who also cut records on Konduko, Crystal, and were the backing group for Derrick Harriot). Is this true? If not, does anyone have any info about the UK Chosen Few?

Second is actually not a group on a UK label, but a group that is from (or at least produced in) the UK. There was a record (I think it was a minor hit even???) by a group called the Detours, it was released on US MCA around 1977. On the record it says it's a UK production. Does anyone have any info on this group?

thanks in advance for any info.

thanks,

Bob

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi. I'm hoping someone could help me with some information about two groups that cut records on UK labels.

There was a group called the Chosen Few that cut records on UK Polydor and a couple other labels. Someone told me that this might be the Jamaican group (who also cut records on Konduko, Crystal, and were the backing group for Derrick Harriot). Is this true? If not, does anyone have any info about the UK Chosen Few?

Second is actually not a group on a UK label, but a group that is from (or at least produced in) the UK. There was a record (I think it was a minor hit even???) by a group called the Detours, it was released on US MCA around 1977. On the record it says it's a UK production. Does anyone have any info on this group?

thanks in advance for any info.

thanks,

Bob

I'm not sure if the Chosen Few on Konduko were the same as the Polydor group. There seem to have been a lot of groups called the Chosen Few. The Konduko Jamaican group did have records out on UK Trojan, The Chosen Few In Miami LP for example.

Jordi

Social source share

There were 4 Chosen few 45s on UK Polydor, 2 on Ariola Hansa, and an EP on Newman. A couple of the cuts are nice sweet soul. Do you know if they're the Jamaican group or not? Aren't you a reggae person? Thanks for your help.

Social source share

I'm not sure if the Chosen Few on Konduko were the same as the Polydor group. There seem to have been a lot of groups called the Chosen Few. The Konduko Jamaican group did have records out on UK Trojan, The Chosen Few In Miami LP for example.

Jordi

I know there were a lot of groups with that name. But if the Polydor UK group was from Jamaica it would have to be the same group as on Konduko because they were pretty famous in Jamaica. Do you have any info on the UK Polydor group?

not really related, the lead singer of the Chosen Few called me from Jamaica to thank me for playing his Konduko record on the radio, it was crazy. He was super nice.

Social source share

The Chosen Few were definitely a Jamaican group, they switched from reggae to do a soul / funky album with King Sporty in Miami as mentioned above, I'm pretty sure they are the same group as on Polydor, as they based themselves in the UK.

There are a few groups called the Chosen Few, I've a good 45 on Pye from 1965, features future members of Lindisfarne and Skip Bifferty but that's another group altogether so I'll shut up now

Social source share

The Chosen Few were definitely a Jamaican group, they switched from reggae to do a soul / funky album with King Sporty in Miami as mentioned above, I'm pretty sure they are the same group as on Polydor, as they based themselves in the UK.

There are a few groups called the Chosen Few, I've a good 45 on Pye from 1965, features future members of Lindisfarne and Skip Bifferty but that's another group altogether so I'll shut up now

I was 'liking' the mention of the Lindisfarne members single, not you 'shutting up'....... :thumbsup:

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

Hi Bob,

A collector friend of mine in Toronto was asking me to supoply him with both their Polydor singles back in '78. He saw them on tour there in '73. They were formed by Joel 'Bunny' Brown, you can find his bio and details about the group here:: www.myspace.com/bunnybrownjoelsarkent

On my monitor the bio print came up in yellow!?? So I had to left click and drag to get it to show in blue. Anyway, hope this helps.

Ian

Social source share

Hi Bob,

A collector friend of mine in Toronto was asking me to supoply him with both their Polydor singles back in '78. He saw them on tour there in '73. They were formed by Joel 'Bunny' Brown, you can find his bio and details about the group here:: www.myspace.com/bunnybrownjoelsarkent

On my monitor the bio print came up in yellow!?? So I had to left click and drag to get it to show in blue. Anyway, hope this helps.

Ian

Yeah, Bonnie Brown is the guy that called me, thanks. There are 4 polydor singles:

2058 661 You Mean Everything To Me / Yes It Won't Be Long (75)

2058 721 I Can Make Your Dreams Come True / Pretty Face (76)

2058 752 Young And Foolish / Miracle Worker (76)

2058 872 Thank You / Part 2 (77)

I have all 4 if you need a recording of one of them. Thanks.

Social source share

Thanks everyone for the info about the Polydor Chosen Few, I really appreciate it.

Anybody know anything about the Detours? Seems like the kind of thing Ian Dewhirst would know. Thanks in advance.

Same problem, there's been two or three groups called The Detours. First was a mod band 1966-67. As this is 10 years later, I doubt it's them but I'll see if I can find out anything, any names on the labe to look for?

Social source share

Same problem, there's been two or three groups called The Detours. First was a mod band 1966-67. As this is 10 years later, I doubt it's them but I'll see if I can find out anything, any names on the labe to look for?

I'd imagine someone would know something about this as it was a disco hit. Unless it was just a studio creation. Here is a pic of the single:

https://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=2321831

It's not even on youtube, I think probably because of copyright

Social source share

Trevor Vallis produced soulie type stuff by Casablanca (for Elton John's Rocket label) in 1973 ....

... AND .... Sandy Davis í…½- A.P.B. (All Points Bulletin) a 45 for Pacific Records (a W.Bros distributed label in the US) in 1978.

In 1979 he produced Sylvia Love on "Extraterrestrial Lover" & "Instant Love" (RCA).

He seems to have (usually) used London area studios for the sessions he ran back then & worked with artists who also used the likes of Ian Levine + Stock, Aitken & (ex NS DJ Pete) Waterman to produce their tracks.

By the 80's he had moved onto to dance, pop & rock stuff.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL... The CHOSEN FEW, were a vocal group, who found fame almost by accident, they were so good and crisp, with a sharp dress style, and very much into soul, their mentor was Derrick HARRIOTT 'The Chariot', who cut some nice soul songs in the early 1960s, under the Chariots guidance they did cover version of US CHART SOUL,from 1970 -73 they hit the JA charts with:-

your a big girl now, do your thing melting pot, and the SUADHEAD TOP TUNE...SHAFT, That is just as good as the CHEFS, can be easy obtained for under £5 on the SONG BIRD LABEL,Group members FRANKLYN SPENCE, ERROL BROWN, & BUSTY BROWN.

MOST OF DERRICK HARRIOTT WORK IS GOOD, BUT SOME IS NOT?

The PYE group? were YANKS, WHO DID THE FOOTSIE? ON ROULETTE, :g: DAVE

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Thanks everyone for the info about the Polydor Chosen Few, I really appreciate it.

Anybody know anything about the Detours? Seems like the kind of thing Ian Dewhirst would know. Thanks in advance.

Funnily enough, I think I met Trevor Vallis a couple of years back when we met up with Silvia Love who was included on some of the Disco Discharge albums. I think the Detours were a studio group and MCA just picked up the master. Funny that for a none hit it got released throughout the world - there's even a Chilean copy on e-bay at the moment!

If you want anymore info on the band I can probably put a call in to Trevor (assuming it was him that I met).......

Ian D :D

Social source share

The Detours is a cover of Bobby Moore's "TryTo Hold On" on Scepter which was a Massive Disco hit mid 70's, written by Harold Beatty.

I've known about the cover since it came out, never thought much about the group behind it; it's just a cover of a Disco smash! :)

Got me curious now though Bob :)

Best,

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert