Wilson Pickett - (Artist Of The Week)

Towards the end of the 60's, Wilson entered the San Remo Song Contest in Italy (the 19th year the contest was held ... hence it was titled XIX Festival di Sanremo).

In this; various artists were given certain original songs to sing (more than one singer having a go at each song) and a 'winner' was eventually selected (bit like an early version of X Factor but with less prats on the panel & way better singers involved).

Anyway, Wilson was given a song to perform & he did this part in Italian (I believe it was written by 3 Italians) & part in English. It's not the best song he ever did & the bits in Italian leave me a bit cold ... but as it was only ever released on 45 in Italy on the Song Contests 'in-house' label, it's worth owning.

post-22122-0-68313900-1339330071_thumb.j

Social source share

Not a big hit for him (chart wise) but surely one of his best .......

[media=]

I agree, top drawer stuff. I don't know too much of his other stuff - some bits and pieces, but this is my favourite. Lord have mercy!

Pat Brady spin?

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

this guy was the very reason i got into northern soul

his version of hey jude imo is one of the greatest vocal performances ive ever heard...........

Said to be McCartney's favourite version. Also Pickett had never previously heard it prior to recording and thought the words were "Hey Jew"

Social source share

I love this live version of I'm in Love from Soul Train (1972 ) - particularly the bit where he sings "That sounds alright boys - do it again " at 2.14 - He appears genuinely surprised at how good the horn section sounds that this is his response - brilliant!

[media=]

Edited by autumnstoned
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I love this live version of I'm in Love from Soul Train (1972 ) - particularly the bit where he sings "That sounds alright boys - do it again " at 2.14 - He appears genuinely surprised at how good the horn section sounds that this is his response - brilliant!

[media=]

Hey, that was something special. Thanks

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Definite hall of famer Mr Pickett, love his Womack penned stuff and they don,t come any better than "I,ve Come A Long Way" all time top 10 record for me, "Sometimes I had to drink tears for water" , now theres a lyric,the flip "Jealous Love" would be championed more but the aforementioned is so good, IMHO It gets left in the shade

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Definite hall of famer Mr Pickett, love his Womack penned stuff and they don,t come any better than "I,ve Come A Long Way" all time top 10 record for me, "Sometimes I had to drink tears for water" , now theres a lyric,the flip "Jealous Love" would be championed more but the aforementioned is so good, IMHO It gets left in the shade

Kev

Kev, didn't know either of these sides?... so I've just bagged a copy... then I found a clip to play...... that mate, is how much i rate your taste and recomendations... and Kev, ya come up trumps again.... superb! :thumbsup:

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kev, didn't know either of these sides?... so I've just bagged a copy... then I found a clip to play...... that mate, is how much i rate your taste and recomendations... and Kev, ya come up trumps again.... superb! :thumbsup:

steve

Kind words indeed Steve, glad you liked them, suprised I aint already put them on CD for you cos I know they,d be right up your street

Kev

Social source share

Great vocalist...here's my contribution...the EP (though it says album on the cover and is a 7" EP) with Otis Redding features, 'Baby Don't You Weep'.

:hatsoff2:

post-9555-0-19041100-1339599581_thumb.jp

post-9555-0-32234200-1339599582_thumb.jp

Edited by Flynny
Social source share

Kev

That track is just so Womackesque it's unbeleivable.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

'let me be your boy'...and the great hits of wilson pickett lp...cant remember the label (yellow)...its got baby dont you weep on it...every tracks a winner inc some great deep soul some were on double l on 7...its too late,im gonna love you,,baby call on me

'i cant stop' on president and then 'i'm gonna cr'y on atlantic with a young jimi hendrix in the background i believe

some great trax from a great artist

dean

Social source share

Great call Pete, this thread should run for a month, like the Dells, Bobby Womack etc should have, guess they aint rare enough for some folk :shhh:

Kev

That is sad but probably true and kind of perverse too. We often like to proclaim ourselves or our scene as being the champions of the under rated or the never quite made it guys - and girls of course.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I really hate these threads with no refo soul, but appreciate that is sign of times,.

Monster artist, in more ways than one I believe, but some unbelievable deep screaming soul! Will post some suggestions up later.

Anyone buy his Rhino set? Is there much unissued stuff? Anyone want to sell one cheap? Always put of by the price but after getting the Donnie Hathaway French one, I feel they are essential rare artefacts for the future!

Edited by jocko
Social source share

I really hate these threads with no refo soul, but appreciate that is sign of times,.

Monster artist, in more ways than one I believe, but some unbelievable deep screaming soul! Will post some suggestions up later.

Anyone buy his Rhino set? Is there much unissued stuff? Anyone want to sell one cheap? Always put of by the price but after getting the Donnie Hathaway French one, I feel they are essential rare artefacts for the future!

Fookin hell mate - you've gone all small!

:ohmy:

Social source share

Anyone buy his Rhino set? Is there much unissued stuff? Anyone want to sell one cheap?

Yes and no.

There's a few alternate takes on the last CD but I'll Be There is a peach of an unreleased track. I haven't got the set in front of me, but from memory its from about 73 and recorded at Fame or Muscle Shoals.

7 CD's of his best work, an essential purchase at any cost. Its in a nice 7" sized box and loads of notes and photos

Social source share

Fookin hell mate - you've gone all small!

:ohmy:

You have been speaking to other half or you are a peeping Tom, The choice is yours......

Yes and no.

There's a few alternate takes on the last CD but I'll Be There is a peach of an unreleased track. I haven't got the set in front of me, but from memory its from about 73 and recorded at Fame or Muscle Shoals.

7 CD's of his best work, an essential purchase at any cost. Its in a nice 7" sized box and loads of notes and photos

I know, but contract rates are at an all time low.....

But you have convinced me. I keep just staring at the Philly Box Set and DH one, thinking they actually look beautiful. Okay Rhino here I come.

Did you get the Percy Sledge one?

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Jocko, a full run out with samples ....

https://www.rhino.com/shop/product/wilson-pickett-funky-midnight-mover-the-atlantic-studio-recordings-1962-1978

Social source share

I know, but contract rates are at an all time low.....

Haven't met a poor contractor working in finance yet.

Did you get the Percy Sledge one?

Nope, for some reason every time I go to buy it something else always seem into my sights and takes priority.

I'm off to Florida this summer, so may buy it & get it sent to where we're staying and save on the international postage.

Social source share

• 7 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!