What Is The Difference? Fosland And The Rest

Pete S

I'm constantly shocked by the lists of records for sale on here which have items often at double their actual market value, sometimes triple, there's been lists this week which meet this criteria yet nobody says a dickie bird to the sellers, yet a bloke from the States sells a pressing for a shitload of money and you all form a lynching party. :thumbsup:

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm constantly shocked by the lists of records for sale on here which have items often at double their actual market value, sometimes triple, there's been lists this week which meet this criteria yet nobody says a dickie bird to the sellers, yet a bloke from the States sells a pressing for a shitload of money and you all form a lynching party. :thumbsup:

Hi Pete.The prices asked / what the seller is after........do they actually obtain or do they remain unsold :D ?ATB Steve

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Don't think anyone on here attempts to decieve folk tho' Pete. Can sell what they like, for howevermuch they like, as long as they are honest in their description, then if someone wants to buy for inflated prices, so be it! :D

Social source share

Don't think anyone on here attempts to decieve folk tho' Pete. Can sell what they like, for howevermuch they like, as long as they are honest in their description, then if someone wants to buy for inflated prices, so be it! :thumbsup:

I realise that. I just can't believe nobody ever comments on it. My hands are tied as I am in the same business so it sounds like sour grapes.

Social source share

For once, I can say that I agree with Pete. But, everyone likes to see their mates do well with their record sales.

However, there is a very big difference with the cases I think you're alluding to and the Fosland one: honesty.

People got on his case because they believed (correctly) he was deliberately misrepresenting his items for sale. In the end his bloody-mindedness and high-handedness seemed ludicrous in the light of his actions. In cases where people are selling 'big' records that they wouldn't ordinarily want to get rid of, putting high opening prices on them is one way of conducting the sort of 'reluctant sales' we sometimes see on here.

Of course a professional record dealer wouldn't get very far by pricing his stock in such a way. If you think collectors are selling their records for ridiculous prices on forums such as this I think you have right to say so, but in the end people will vote with their wallets, and I think you may see posts with reduced prices on a lot of these types of sales.

Social source share

Pete, if they're overpriced they won't sell will they? I too am amazed at some asking prices. What's more worrying is when something sells at a very high price to one individual then it becomes the going rate.

Fosland was completely different in that, despite the photo, he misrepresented a re-issue to give some people the idea it was an original. He appears to be doing the same with the DC Blossoms.

https://cgi.ebay.com/KILLER-RAREST-NORTHERN...1QQcmdZViewItem

Social source share

If i was selling any of my records i would want top dollar for them (hoping i know what that is). The last thing i would want after years of searching phoning and pestering people to build me collection is for the dealers to make any money out of me :thumbsup:

That's a very fair point and let me assure you that as a once full-time record dealer I made bugger-all in the way of money!!

ROD

Social source share

For once, I can say that I agree with Pete. But, everyone likes to see their mates do well with their record sales.

However, there is a very big difference with the cases I think you're alluding to and the Fosland one: honesty.

People got on his case because they believed (correctly) he was deliberately misrepresenting his items for sale. In the end his bloody-mindedness and high-handedness seemed ludicrous in the light of his actions. In cases where people are selling 'big' records that they wouldn't ordinarily want to get rid of, putting high opening prices on them is one way of conducting the sort of 'reluctant sales' we sometimes see on here.

Of course a professional record dealer wouldn't get very far by pricing his stock in such a way. If you think collectors are selling their records for ridiculous prices on forums such as this I think you have right to say so, but in the end people will vote with their wallets, and I think you may see posts with reduced prices on a lot of these types of sales.

Maybe I'm going about things the wrong way - I try to sell things at a reasonable price, all things considered. Maybe I should double it and see if anyone says "will you take X amount for that" (trying to get a bit of discount) and still end up selling it for more than I was originally going to sell it for. I remember a few weeks back I had a record on Buy It Now for something like £15, an identical one was up for auction and it went for £45....

Social source share

If i was selling any of my records i would want top dollar for them (hoping i know what that is). The last thing i would want after years of searching phoning and pestering people to build me collection is for the dealers to make any money out of me :thumbsup:

Yes but I don't want to buy any reissues Ted :D

Social source share

I can recall going to a second hand record shop in my youth and marvelling at the high prices the proprietor had placed on the first two Elvis RCA albums, whch used to hang on the wall with big price tickets for years on end. His logic was simple: people might as well not buy them at £500 as not buy them at £100.

Tourists used to come in and take pictures of the albums. Occasionally they would buy other, cheaper items, so he was happy with that. Eventually, they did sell for his asking price (I think it was more a case of everyone else's valuation catching up with his). He had a piss-up and sold the shop the next week.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

or maybe staying exactly where they are,in the sales box whistling.gif

Mick

Social source share

Shame not going then?

I think there was a mix up - don't laugh - I thought he said 'can I put you down for some flyers', meaning could I send some flyers out, but I think he meant 'can I put you ON the flyer', meaning DJ. By the time this all made sense, I was already pre-booked to stay in saturday. I certainly won't be djing but if I can get out for a couple of hours I'll come and say hello whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert