Billy Woods, Let Me Make You Happy

Guest gordon russell

My big, big mistake. Can't win 'em all. The minute John told me it was on Sussex I just wasn't interested 'cos I figured it would turn up in quantity. How wrong I was ay. At the time everywhere I went seemed have 1000's of Sussex cut-out 45's - Soul Searchers, Bill Withers, Dennis Coffey etc, etc, so I just figured there'd be a least a couple of thousand of ANY record on Sussex knocking around. Since then, only 6 copies I think......?

Ian D :D

It was only £3? lol
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Word was and I don't know how true it is that JA picked up a finger full. When he went back the rest had gone ... but where?

or was that Don Gardner "Cheatin' Kind"

think 8 cpoies?......but that might be the montclairs story?
Social source share

Possibly Dave, but isn't the promo the other side on both?

i dont mean to be scaremongering or anything like that but i think there be a couple of boxes of promo`s lying around waiting to be found probably with other buddah distributed stuff in the usa somewhere..stands to reason

Social source share

i think the early sussex promo`s had a and b sides on them and the later ones were mono / stereo. i date this to january 1971 before bill withers time. but the presidents were having big hits with 5 10 15 20 25 30 years of love and triangle of love at that time and all sussex resources may well have been put into the presidents. their releases were 207 and 212 & billy woods is 213, so billy may have been shelved.....and not distributed hense my `couple of boxes lying around ` theory

Social source share

That makes sense to me. 

i think the early sussex promo`s had a and b sides on them and the later ones were mono / stereo. i date this to january 1971 before bill withers time. but the presidents were having big hits with 5 10 15 20 25 30 years of love and triangle of love at that time and all sussex resources may well have been put into the presidents. their releases were 207 and 212 & billy woods is 213, so billy may have been shelved.....and not distributed hense my `couple of boxes lying around ` theory

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!