Best Boot Buys

Sooty

• 3 months later...

Hi folks!x Been too busy for boot sales the last few months but managed to get to one in Louth today! Scruffy fella with few boxes of LP's....box of records without covers and about 10 on a pile all in covers. I looked at the box of loose 45's.....Ken Dodd and Harry Secombe popped up so same old same old......then what I was dreading...Rolf's Two Little Boys....which has always made me hairs rise on me arm since being a kid. The dread is the conflict in me head still. I wanna play it on a sunny day along with Sun Arise....awesome stuff. I threw Gary Glitter stuff easily.....Jonathon Kings stuff never made my collection so no dilemma....but Two Little Boys? I mean I have played the grooves off 2 tri-centre Great Balls of Fires and Jerry was a self confessed peedo....but we all dance to it still if u know wot I mean! Suarez bites....goes to Spain and is a hero. Different cultures different rules. I was born in Hull which has been designated the City of Culture....but.....stick 'culture' up yer ar*e...too limiting and restricting methinks!

I think I put my 2 tunes into me personal favs for when i'm on me own chilling. I digress....no apologies.

Anyway...after thinking those thoughts as I flipped thru the tunes.....i started to come across some 'funny' songs! Stuff for Xmas and Halloween and the like! I got loooads of it....so was keen! Jeff....the scruffy fella who was happy with it...said they came from his Uncle who had collected music hall funnys and the like. He then said if I wanted them.....about 20 of the ilk....he'd take £5 for the lot! Job done....and he added the 10 or so in the little pile next to the box as they were all the same....I hadn't got round to them! Well....just got home.....and among the Charlie Drake and Bernard Cribbins demos....Goon classics and a couple of Mary Poppins songs on studio copy's.....I found this......never heard it....and yup......happy with my first Boot Sale for aaaages.....meant to be....I reckon!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

https://youtu.be/Fr2i4R19TTU

My real happy tune...or piece of vinyl among it all is this on the copy u see here!! I had a British copy...mint and had it for yeeeeears love it and pet it often when reaching for an odd tune on a sunny day....but never did I think I would find a white demo...weren't looking!......well chuffed!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nCLVvpA7gI

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Hi folks!x Been too busy for boot sales the last few months but managed to get to one in Louth today! Scruffy fella with few boxes of LP's....box of records without covers and about 10 on a pile all in covers. I looked at the box of loose 45's.....Ken Dodd and Harry Secombe popped up so same old same old......then what I was dreading...Rolf's Two Little Boys....which has always made me hairs rise on me arm since being a kid. The dread is the conflict in me head still. I wanna play it on a sunny day along with Sun Arise....awesome stuff. I threw Gary Glitter stuff easily.....Jonathon Kings stuff never made my collection so no dilemma....but Two Little Boys? I mean I have played the grooves off 2 tri-centre Great Balls of Fires and Jerry was a self confessed peedo....but we all dance to it still if u know wot I mean! Suarez bites....goes to Spain and is a hero. Different cultures different rules. I was born in Hull which has been designated the City of Culture....but.....stick 'culture' up yer ar*e...too limiting and restricting methinks!

I think I put my 2 tunes into me personal favs for when i'm on me own chilling. I digress....no apologies.

Anyway...after thinking those thoughts as I flipped thru the tunes.....i started to come across some 'funny' songs! Stuff for Xmas and Halloween and the like! I got loooads of it....so was keen! Jeff....the scruffy fella who was happy with it...said they came from his Uncle who had collected music hall funnys and the like. He then said if I wanted them.....about 20 of the ilk....he'd take £5 for the lot! Job done....and he added the 10 or so in the little pile next to the box as they were all the same....I hadn't got round to them! Well....just got home.....and among the Charlie Drake and Bernard Cribbins demos....Goon classics and a couple of Mary Poppins songs on studio copy's.....I found this......never heard it....and yup......happy with my first Boot Sale for aaaages.....meant to be....I reckon!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

My real happy tune...or piece of vinyl among it all is this on the copy u see here!! I had a British copy...mint and had it for yeeeeears love it and pet it often when reaching for an odd tune on a sunny day....but never did I think I would find a white demo...weren't looking!......well chuffed!x

lucky sod, big bad wolf awesome tune

Social source share

Popping into Ilkeston today CodfromDerby en route to Scotland....to collect this....no 'luck' wiv it....just Labouring Under Correct Knowledge!!!!x The fella wanted £400....i offered £250 and my company for an hour! He went for it last night! I was inspired to 'invest' because of the good fortune I had had as you rightly point out....yup....i'm a 'sod'....but happy one.!!!hehe!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuwKTXBHZU4

Social source share

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

Should've popped in for a cuppa Sooty while you were in Louth matey :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

It was waiting for me....the camera and the tune i;d bought off of Ebay! I don;t buy tunes off of their....I really really prefer to find them and then I have an association to go with each tune as such! But...I ain't had time for boot sales lately and i;m sure i;d find it...but couldn't wait!!x £5...mint...RCA British. First time outta the bag and as it started on here....I think it fitting to share the first spin of it in here too!!x The camera....errr....not all me skills are behind it or indeed have any technical nouse....and don;t want any either.....but it's an underwater camera...,...dunno what i;m doing wrong......?!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Excuse me 'Shack'...I weren't prepared....!x

https://youtu.be/VXXhq2ENDbo

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Found this in a junk shop in Avonmouth this week...Gene Vincent on a mint British Capital!x I have heard several versions but this is 'it' for me!x Waddya think?!x

https://youtu.be/y_sLMr4qjLc

Here's Sam's version...

https://youtu.be/Mu3tpDsBZy8

...and as Elvis has been topical lately here's his effort...

https://youtu.be/tsRFer7YcX8

...and 85 years to the month later.....a nice version by Jimmie Rodgers spun by a fella who knows his stuff....I reckon!!x

https://youtu.be/ck2abfraWu8

If I listen to Gene Vincent again....that's the one that makes me hairs stand up on me arm! Like Elvis does to many of you and the great Roy Orbison has been mentioned in the Elvis thread...and yup....they got 'Soul'.....and Gene singing this tune....fits the bill for me too!x A super find and will spin it at the Avonmouth Sports & Social Club 'opening night' as I promised them a 'party' to launch the new building when on business there this week...as you do!x They asked if I had any Motown and stuff........................YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!x....But they will lurrrrve Gene when it spins early evening.....25p outta a junk shop 1 mile away......bringng it all together....and amazingly another UKIP stronghold...they is springing up everywhere I go.......pure co-incidence ure honour.......!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

...off to Menorca on business/pleasure and back in a couple of weeks....or not hopefully if the volcano kicks off...!x I will be putting up the Amber & Black #10 which features the U's away trip to Notts County.....and a super interview with Barry Fry at a U's v Boro' Youth game in whch he cry's like a baby at a rogue atr ours nicking all his youth players in a scam....!!!hehe!! Dead serious he is......and the culprit???....heads up a Dept in the FA today........LUV IT!!!!x It will be up tomorrow evening and I will get a friend to post the link in the thread I have for such purposes!x I've got some new Northern T Shirts made to my design....and will take some holiday snaps/DJ spot snaps wiv them on....!x.....yaaaaayyyy!!!x

@@
~

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Got impalas Sorry I cried all the way home uk mgm   Paper dolls something here in my heart  Nature Zone porcupine  Al green tired of being alone , im still in love with you , you ouggt to be in love with me ,  look what you've done for me , dave & ansil  Double barrel   

All for 3 for a Quid

Social source share

Many years ago I got a mint April Stevens MGM demo for £3, and a mint Tiffanies UK Chess Demo for 35p. At a stall in an indoor market I got a VG Patrice Holloway Love & desire UK Capitol issue for 25p.  At another car boot I get there about 9 o'clock & found a stall with a box full of Mint Oriole singles. Must have been 60 odd records. But not one Motown one. The only thing I got was Hugo Montenegro Sherry(well it was big ish once!!!).

Paul

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all!x Just returned last night from meandering around the Med for a well earned 'breakaway'...which meant from music too!x No personal phone...IT of any kind or 'news' of World or local affairs......I needed to get away....and have done successfully...or to my satisfaction! BUT...my life was taken over by 1 track.....throughout this escapism attempt!!!!!! It has also impacted several serious music involved folk and artistes.......simple as this.....

We needed air tanks filled/bait replenished etc etc and so pulled in to 'civilisation' as you do. I was focused and wary of any outside influences......but it was my Grandsons 2nd birthday and so had him on my mind back in Blighty and therefore wandered into the below shop nearby to the Scuba place in Fornells...Menorca....to buy him a T-shirt and bits! Worst mistake of my whole 'holiday'...!!!

accents_zps0357eed9.jpg

.......there was an instant whistling in my ears as I walked in that I recognised......wtf.....???!!! I knew that ditty....and began singing along with the tune word for word as it kicked off......but was totally non-plussed and confused as to wot the hell it wos and why....why me now....here???!!!x I went to the counter and asked a very distinguished looking 'Senorita' .....'Ola.....wot is the music playing???!! She looked equally puzzled and reached for a CD case next to the till.....and explained it was left in an apartment  her daughter rented out last year and she knew nothing except she liked the songs and had played it throughout this Summer to thousands of customers browsing! Her daughter thought it was more her age group music!! The CD from memory was greyish....'Simply Soul' on the front I think and I remember seeing the classic Betty Everett track 'Getting Mighty Crowded' on there and indeed knew al the tunes featured....including this....as should you all....!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRrD1boujT0

I was done in for the rest of my 'time out' around the Med whistling the tune in my head and then announcing loudly to all around or in solitude when fishing....'I WAAAANNNAA KNNNNOOOOOOWWWW....' randomly and still have done this morning before writing this....ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Impact label???...they ain't wrong!x

@@
~

I have a confession....and it has come back to bite me big time! I had the tune throughout the 90's and never played it once.......SOOOOORRRYYYY!!!!x I bottled it every time....or....it was in my section of roughly 10/15 that I would take each DJ spot that had the privilege of being in the running for the 1 or 2 spots reserved for MY choices as such during my spot....beyond the 'norm'! It sadly never made it to that top 2! It did me head in back then....and certainly has had the same impact 15-20 years later!! I have done what I can for the tune this time round! It is the only tune I mentioned to anyone music connected mogul whom I met around the Med...and I met a few along with their artistes many being current US and UK chart pi** toppers and so called 'DJ's who worked the drugs on Ibiza/Majorca and other fine cough 'party' resorts during this Summer! I told them to 'check it out' and announced immediately afterwards....END CONVERSATION re music!x They....is clueless anyway....u lot ain't so I thought i'd share it with you....an annoyance really when it comes down to it....but....not complaining....had my 'new girl' wiv me.....!!x Wore the shirt to the end of Summer Party for the Med organised by Barney Branson each year and felt it represented my personal interests directly....job done and enuff sed...I reckon!x

nurse.jpg

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

I have collected some super bits and bobs re wildlife and birds/fish....and yup archaeology etc during my 'sabbatical' which I will sort and put a paragraph or 3 up about in the Birds & Wildlife thread sometime this week!x Back 'on it' now and so no time to 'play' on the net or owt....off to Scotland on business till Friday and then Cornwall at the weekend so it may be early next week.....I have my priorities right again! Holiday over.....sigh.

......whissstle whistleee ..."IIIII WANNNAA KNOOOOWWWW.............sort of!x

....I would like to think the daughter will be 'raving' to the tune in some form next year at Ibiza.........thanx to her Mam....and a confused and irate 'Grandad/Pops' of Great Britain!!!!!hehe!!!!x

@@
~

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Got impalas Sorry I cried all the way home uk mgm   Paper dolls something here in my heart  Nature Zone porcupine  Al green tired of being alone , im still in love with you , you ouggt to be in love with me ,  look what you've done for me , dave & ansil  Double barrel   

All for 3 for a Quid

TUUUNE Gary!x Indeed the Impalas is the stored link that is for Utube on me pute and I hear it perhaps 10-12 times a week...or the first bars of it!!x 

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

Social source share

Guest Harvestman

Unfortunately there seems to be a dearth of records in general around flea markets and yard sales around here.  I have had a bit of luck at antique shops, however...

Back in 2009 or 2010, I was inspecting the record stock of a rather small resale shop/small antique mall a few miles from my home.  One particular booth had some records, I dug in to see what was in the LPs...nothing of interest, corny '70s pop and faith-based records for the most part.

Then it was on to the 45s - lots of late '70s and '80s drivel, nothing worth noting...but there was one particular record that didn't fit in with the rest.  It wasn't terribly expensive, so I took a chance on it.

Upon browsing Popsike, I found out some information about the record - turns out I had gotten a copy of Syng McGowan's "Just In The Nick Of Time" on Hope for 25 cents...in VG++ condition no less.  I still have the sleeve somewhere with "McGowan - 25c" written on it.

A bit cheaper and more beat-up, but I happened to find a DJ copy of Margaret Williams' "Ten Commandments of Soul" on Sue (US) for 75 cents at a separate antique mall.  The visit before that, it was a promo copy of Timmy Willis' "Gotta Get Back To Georgia" on Veep - company sleeve included and in beautiful condition - for a dollar.  Love those little honey-holes.

(Technically this shouldn't be included, as I believe it was digging through 45s at a record store and not an antique/thrift shop, but I did find a promo copy of Jamie (Duffy) Power's "Love's Gonna Go" for a measly $1.00. Fairly certain that's been my best soul get yet.)

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Got to a Boot Sale this morning for an hour and found 2 tunes one on British Mercury and t'other the US copy of a 70's Northern track!!x I have featured Brook before in this thread and explained I have 2 copy's 1 UK and a USA but the take I really like I heard on a cheap CD....but never heard it yet on vinyl.....probably don't exist!x I have read there are 4 'takes' of this on vinyl from 1959 to 1960! The US is different to the UK! Possibly a '78 of it?! Dunno what it is about the tune that 'got me'....just a nice ditty which is nice floating across gardens on a Sunday afternoon when I can get an hour or two spinning me stuff to the neighbours!x

Seller was asking £7.....got it for £3 as it was a shiny mint copy and my UK is 'hissy' now at the beginning so upgraded!x

https://youtu.be/1sWABf7gXR4

This Idris Muhammed tune I found among a 70's Funk collection of regular 'classics'! I had never heard the tune until hearing it here on Soul Source some months back. Nice shuffler i'd imagine but won't get spun by me but thought i;d rescue it for a Soulie somewhere!x

I know he passed away recently again thanx to Soul Source folk and your posts and thought i'd pay my respects to him and his music and spin it here for your delight!x The label scan is the tune I have and I will put it up for sale....dunno how much they are?!x Willing to be guided...mint- not a mark on the vinyl!x I've scanned the flip side by mistake but the part 1 side is the same condition!x

RIP Idris...X

https://youtu.be/jLLBo0fWu3Q

idris_zps13beea64.jpg

LUV
SOOTY
X

Social source share

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!! Morning!x Whilst away my post Lady sorted mail for me at my main place. When I returned she had left a box of records that she'd had since her teens lare 60's! She'd promised me them for aaaages and I rifled through them last night.....and this tune......is it....FOR THE WEEKEND!!!! I've been to Brixton Academy and heard what Drum n Bass 'state of the art' malarkey is...Shadows riffs everywhere.....pah....and was happy to find the above yesterday at the Boot Sale....but....BUT....this 'gem' which i'd never heard......was waiting for me to discover since I returned from hols 2 weeks ago.....and has done me!x Don Fardon's Indian Reservation done me in 1974 when my mate Wayne spun it out of his box of Northern when we bukked school one dinner time! 'Haunting' tune methinks....thanx Postyess!x

@@
~

Tim Rose on British CBS 1967....mint....and marvellous methinks.....!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i50t5Azgyxg

Have a super day.....I will and will be humming that piano......FOREEEVERRRRRR!!!!!x

LUV

SOOTY
X

Social source share

• 3 months later...

Blimey.....has been a while since I found summink...or been to a Boot Sale!!!x September last year.....and yup....just me Elvis 'Spinout' added to me collection.......until this Monday!!!x Never heard it...i'm glad...and dis-appointed to say!x Bit scratchy but playable and looks like this copy.....junk shop in Battersea....3 45's....he wanted £3....I gave him  a £5er.....we both smiled and left happy!x There.....proper trading! Booked at £75 in my JM guide 2001/2....probly worth £20....but.....the tune...is PRICELESS...luv it!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYC7IKZTe9U

Social source share

• 1 month later...

WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!.....first boot sale I've made this year and I found this among a load of instrumentals mainly Latin/Mexican tunes from the 60's!!!!x I first heard this tune around 25 years ago.....luv'd it but never heard it played anywhere altho' I understand it has had plays on the mod scene over the years...and it was a Mod whose tape I heard it on 25 years ago!!x It makes u wanna do wot it sez on the tin.......£4....valued @ £100 in me 2016 Record Collector guide...!!!x Enjoy!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

https://youtu.be/P3_2SDKiSl0

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!