Jock's View Of Soul

Chalky

Makes you come across as a bit insecure Jock, pulling up people just because they 'like' something.  Especially a tongue in cheek post from me.

Though I always said that the 'like' feature was devisive.  

I enjoyed reading the mag, I hadn't seen it before, especially enjoyed trying to guess what the cover ups were.

You need to go back to your nightclass on pychoanlysis I am afraid, I didn't have a problem with your comment as shown by my response I would have thought.

Its all about context and I thought Manus' hypocrisy deserved comment.

And remember they are Pete Lawsons words not mines, although nothing I didn't also say at that time. Again its all about context!

Anyway fancy doing a joint project on history of fanzines (soul ones, I know even less about others) it would be fun, a story well worth telling and would be interested to see how many times we fell out and what over......

Social source share

Just got round to reading your mag Jock, roughly the time i parted with the scene and got more into the jazzfunk/soul alldayers buying more current lps and 12s. The article about Rob Melbourne brought back loads of memories as we became good friends with a passion for good soul music. Rob was a very frustated guy was always spending his monthly wage buying all the latest sounds from Bluebird Records be it soul or jazz, but as you said was fighting a losing battle against the comercial stuff when he dejayed in Edinburgh (though respected through the west T Jackson,Bob Jeffries,Billy Davies ect ). Rob moved to London and worked for E.M.I. and got into drum and base scouting the clubs and checking demos for the latest talent. Last time i spoke to Rob He was up for new year,went to the Cafe Royal(Bumpin n Stompin soul night). He gave me a couple of drum n base tapes, ave never heard so much shite in all my life. Thats the last time i spoke to Rob, the last we heard about him was from his ex partner. She told us he became a muslim and has become an iman living on a small island somewhere in Asia. Gonna try and get down to the Peebles gig to hear those tunes i missed out on and catch up with the lawman and yourself (think am due you a pint from last minto).

Cheers Pete Doonan.

Social source share

Jock, I'd love to have your permission to archive the Loma article you begin the issue with, and eventually use it on my website about the label (with full acknowledgements, of course)...

Sorry just seen this, off course you can. Pretty sure I have one that has both sides and all the writers/producers listed as well if you would like that. I also did a follow up for subsequent issues that reviewed all the Northern sides with pictures! Before the days of scanner so they are stuck on paper that I could send, unfortunately my scanner is knackered. ]

Let me know if any good to you. 

Social source share

Sorry just seen this, off course you can. Pretty sure I have one that has both sides and all the writers/producers listed as well if you would like that. I also did a follow up for subsequent issues that reviewed all the Northern sides with pictures! Before the days of scanner so they are stuck on paper that I could send, unfortunately my scanner is knackered. ]

Let me know if any good to you. 

Excellent - and thanks a lot. It's not something I intend to do straight away, so I'll be in touch when/if I need more from you. Much appreciated.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

got my copy of Jocks view printed off and ready for a read in the mancave tonight accompanied by copious amounts of lager and some quality tunage

Social source share

A fantastic read...Nice one Jocko ( another one of those hidden talents etc).... thanks for posting for the world to read Chalky - This fanzine along with the 3 that Pete Lawson compiled could and should be a definite you must read these as part of ya " I quite fancy getting into that Northerny souly sceney A to Z - YTS i love soul music guide" that' is just to test if you really have the energy and enthusiasm to go the full hog ???? Then follow it up by a wee Q & A session at 7 am on a Sunday morning this session must not last longer than 3 days ?? Just to see if you have really been paying attention too the smaller print...

mmmm this was pre ya fancy laptop/ iPods days .these fanzines were compiled with passion and made for essential reading and were one of the better ways to get to know what was really happening out there ?

All part of our history and culture...

Keep um coming guys and gals

Ktf and right on right on trk

And to think, if he had ran you over with that golf buggy you wouldn't be hear to say this right now.. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

You need to go back to your nightclass on pychoanlysis I am afraid, I didn't have a problem with your comment as shown by my response I would have thought.

Its all about context and I thought Manus' hypocrisy deserved comment.

And remember they are Pete Lawsons words not mines, although nothing I didn't also say at that time. Again its all about context!

Anyway fancy doing a joint project on history of fanzines (soul ones, I know even less about others) it would be fun, a story well worth telling and would be interested to see how many times we fell out and what over......

Aw come on guys enough is enough, stop slaggin each other and listen whats being said, In later 70's i hated modern soul with a vengance but nowadays my tastes have mellowed also i'm more into soulfull R&B  and some popcorn tunes. I hope i've grown up now and with a varied taste at age of 54 i would rather make love to the sweet soul sounds of Lou Rawles, Billy Paul etc than Dance to willie mitchel

Put mr levine on the decs and i'd get a droopy Cathedrials Reachin for the best, Sorry why did i leave the scene for so long ????  No contest=======

I loved all those fanzines back in the day , but at the end of the day its just an opinion

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

And another thought just because it was played at wigan and other massive venues dosent mean it's good, Remember the chemicals, If the tune itself can do the same then it's good, I've just gotta hear new stuff, Am i on my own here ???

Sorry i'm going off the thread

Edited by Garry Huxley
Social source share

And to think, if he had ran you over with that golf buggy you wouldn't be hear to say this right now.. :lol:

Hi Alan

Hope alls good n funky....

As part of my trauma counselling sessions , i find these very very kind words i have committed to Jock and "Jocks view of soul "encourage positives from the negatives that this sort of unbelievably life changing GCTA can cause ??

The down side to this is that my Tourette's keep kicking in when ever I see a golf buggy.... But hey as always finishing on a positive note :- my "claims are us "application form looks pretty convincing ???? Tee hee

Toots man....

nice snap of Jocko getting his flipping ff***ing f***ing flipping ammo- i meant golf buggys on red alert ??? a meant ready for the golf????

post-3067-0-78834400-1367005535_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!