Teaching People To Dance Wtf?

Other than Paul or Keb, who has the right to say they are qualified to teach NS dance? Maybe we should have an NS jury to certificate.  :D

Those two got into it organically, where gripped by the music, uplifted. Unless you understand the emotion of what the music means... It's the music that moves you, in through the ears and out through the feet.

Dave2 found it worthwhile to have dance lessons from Sharon or whatever her name was and that's a good thing. However, someone who has only been into it a couple of years, teaching someone else, one two three kick, one two three kick = Uninspired dance floor fodder.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Darn you Simsy, the idea of an approved NS Dance instructor Certification was my BIG idea to make some money out of the scene.....guess I'll have to look for another avenue now.....themed NS burgers at soul nights it is then...."The Frank Wilson Half Pounder" is an early winner!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Darn you Simsy, the idea of an approved NS Dance instructor Certification was my BIG idea to make some money out of the scene.....guess I'll have to look for another avenue now.....themed NS burgers at soul nights it is then...."The Frank Wilson Half Pounder" is an early winner!

But someone's already done the burger idea Steve, back to the drawing board!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...........too late for that too mate...........burger stall at Prestatyn had NS themed burgers.........the chilli burger was called "the Jimmy Mack" can't recall the others

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If you are going to take up these dance lessons you are going to be needing these, otherwise you just won't have the magic

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-BROWN-NORTHERN-SOUL-BAGS-TROUSERS-32-WAIST-/380733272808?pt=UK_Records&hash=item58a578b2e8

The seller says he dug them out of the attic.  Gave all my old clothes to Oxfam.  Always brings a smile to my face imaging some little African lad running around in a pair of bags. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

When I first did a proper spin on my mums kitchen floor after just coming up on some filon after being at the north park thursday night soul do in Kettering.I had never dared spin at an all nighter before ,never really bothered for a couple of years until I started taking careful note of how some really good(imo thee best )spinners did it.so early hours of the morning I am on the kitchen floor trying the method I had been watching and all of a sudden ,whish,Ive gone round about three times ,no wobble and stopped on the spot,phoo ken hell that felt good.It wasnt about two feet on the ground but one point of centre,cant explain any more than that.Anyway started to do it at all nighters when I thought I had it right,never ever went round more than about four times but it was on centre and didnt weeble wobble.Wouldnt dared have done all the" leg work",at a nighter or soul do but it was a no brainer to me learn it at home.as for dancing its everyone to their own style but imo many, many hours were put in at home in bedrooms and other suitable surfaces round your mum and dads house or your flat ,bedsit,back then by the majority who went.Still dance or try to, dont dare spin these days as my body shape is no longer so aero dynamic thats gone along with the thirty inch waist.

Phoo ke the dance "teachers",do it at home is best.

ps At the north park through the seventies not everyone in my opinion would get blocked as a warm up for the weekend ,probably only about forty or so per cent,the other forty five per cent would wait till the weekend and the ten per cent non soulie drinkers would of course abstain ,leaving the others of course to stock up on flasks of coffee,lucosade and mars bars,where as they oft tell us now they would dance all night non stop at break neck speed burning all the pillheads of the floor,yeah right.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

I like that you've answered Dave, if you look through the posts, not many have said NO dance classes full stop, what we've been debating is whether it's apt in a venue when there's others dancing. Tommo and Paul are both great dancers, but I've never seen either of them giving lessons inside or outside a soul night so that the 'students' can then go away and practice straight away on the dance floor. That's what I saw last weekend. As has been said, to dance to northern you need to feel it, I respect and understand your reasons for taking the lessons, but I would maintain some are taking the lessons, just so they fit in to what they are viewing as an important part of a social scene, without feeling the music. Sorry if this sounds elitist, it's not meant too, the contributors to this thread (including myself) are worried as to the direction the scene appears to be taking. Once again thank you for putting your point, it's appreciated.  :thumbsup:

Cheers Winnie.  I think its out of order if there's full blown instruction being taught on a floor during a nighter/ allnighter - its going to affect the overall atmosphere for sure. 

Anyway, now off to Hamburg weekender - where I will expecting to dance around piles of coats, beer bottles and punters that just stand in the middle of the floor necking beer.  (I shit you not).  Bring it ON!

ATB

Dave.

• Helpful 1
Social source share