Modern Soul - Where Did The Term Come From?

• Replies 219
  • Views 16.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

[quote name='Simon White'But extend all this to Larry Houston 'Lets Spend Some Time Together' a Wigan play with its handclap break...but as untraditional northern Soul as you can get. So when Richard Searling played it, just how was he describing that sound? Was he calling it 'Modern Soul' because it was big at what was still traditionally a very 'Northern ' venue? ?

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

I have tapes( early 80's) from a bloke who lived near the river Dee , saying Modern Soul

Snaith/Locrano sounds whistling.gif

Simon

As I walked out of The Scene Club in `63 or 4,I said to my mate Facey "Why do I listen to Rex Garvin,Marvin Gaye and Les Cooper and wear all the WITH-IT clobber?",and he said,"cause your such a modern soul,Syd."Is Facey the winner?
Social source share

Had a chat with Mr Searling over the weekend...what he said certainly ties in with what's been said about an early 80's date for the first real usage of the teme. Going to check out some

'Blackbeats' tomorrow because I'm sure there's a reference or two there.

Social source share

Been interested following this thread.................the attached is related to this topic, and is lifted from Echoes early/mid-eighties..............in fact, can anyone date it?

Echoes_modern.jpg(post-4568-1155065532.j

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
Social source share

Been interested following this thread.................the attached is related to this topic, and is lifted from Echoes early/mid-eighties..............in fact, can anyone date it?

Echoes_modern.jpg(post-4568-1155065532.j

Cheers,

Mark R

I remember that .. early 1985 I think .. James Govan was a big sound and was being played on the Pirates and at nighters ( late 1984)

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I've found references to 'Modern Soul' i 'New Blackbeat no 1' from December 1982. Soul Sam was calling his column "Modern Soul Scene' and there are scattered uses throughout the mag. Whats interesting is the way both 'funk' and jazz/funk' are used to describe certain records too. 4 Below Zero is in Mark Sargeants 'Funk Oldies' column for instance and Ian Clarke refers to modern soul. Whatever happened to records reviewed at the time like Jerry Hoyle 'Dream Lady' on LAC and Jesse Mitchell 'It Could Have Been Different' on JFM ? Were they any good or did they just fit the bill at the time?

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

I've found Whatever happened to records reviewed at the time like Jerry Hoyle 'Dream Lady' on LAC and Jesse Mitchell 'It Could Have Been Different' on JFM ? Were they any good or did they just fit the bill at the time?

Seemed pretty good at the time - two very different records. "Dream Lady" very mellow mid pacer. Jesse Mitchell much more gritty and uptempo. Both sides of this pretty good. Jesse Mitchell got a bit of play.There was a high turnover of records at the time but the Scene was really quite small.

Social source share

I've found references to 'Modern Soul' i 'New Blackbeat no 1' from December 1982. Soul Sam was calling his column "Modern Soul Scene' and there are scattered uses throughout the mag. Whats interesting is the way both 'funk' and jazz/funk' are used to describe certain records too. 4 Below Zero is in Mark Sargeants 'Funk Oldies' column for instance and Ian Clarke refers to modern soul. Whatever happened to records reviewed at the time like Jerry Hoyle 'Dream Lady' on LAC and Jesse Mitchell 'It Could Have Been Different' on JFM ? Were they any good or did they just fit the bill at the time?

Simon

If you go back to the old Blackbeats - probably c Issue 11 when I first got Sam to write for us, I seem to recall he did an introductory article which referenced "Modern Soul" and gave an explanation of what he was doing. WIll have to try and dig it out tonight to check as we are talking 1980-1. Previous to that I had been corresponding (there's a term you don't hear anymore!) with Sam via the old Basildon Bond paper method and we had been discussing tips, new records etc. Will get back to you once I have searched my "archives" :thumbsup:

Social source share

Seemed pretty good at the time - two very different records. "Dream Lady" very mellow mid pacer. Jesse Mitchell much more gritty and uptempo. Both sides of this pretty good. Jesse Mitchell got a bit of play.There was a high turnover of records at the time but the Scene was really quite small.

I was talking about that Jesse Mitchell ( a blue 12 ? a great dancer ) , with Paul and Gary at the Bass .. ( Paul's got some very obscure 12's btw) Absolutely right about the turnover of records, luckily they were mainly cheap (at most £50 maybe more for big sounds like Pokes biggies) By 1983 or maybe earlier the Modern Soul term had spread to Japan , with Dr Soul ( Hitoshi Takasawa ) leading the way . See his playlist on the link below

https://www.soul-treasures.com/andmore/USA1/usa1.htm

Also London's pirate DJ 's were playing a lot of the titles but not many of the really rare ones, these still being held by all-nighter dj's ..

Thanks for the New stuff Robin , will start playing through today !

Simon M

ps. It certainly looks like Martin (aka Soul Sam ) started the modern soul term as he strived to bring forward a new scene .

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Just a thought,but dont you think the Mod`s might have invented Modern/soul, :thumbsup:

I know some original Mods .. they just called it soul .. ( ahhh nice n easy :ohmy: )

Marriot was one of the first Soul n Blues collector/trainspotter types , so Im told .

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I know some original Mods .. they just called it soul .. ( ahhh nice an easy :ohmy: )

Bet somebody on the outside,thought look at them Mod,s there into soul,so original modernist soul scene,modern meaning up to date,and then all the oldie`s add not been invented bakc then...........................oh i dont know,i just make this s**** up :thumbsup:

Social source share

my take on this...a few examples these will always be "modern", nice tunes all of em, IMHO

Driza Bone - Pressure

Ace Spectrum - Don't Send Nobody Else

Prince Phillip Mitchell - I'm So Happy

Harold melvin and the blue notes - Prayin

KENNY THOMAS - CRAZY WORLD

Nicole Willis & The Soul Investigators - If This Ain't Love Don't Know What is

DJ Genesis-Tribute To Betty Tonight

but this next three...they are new'ish not newies or modern in the way we use the term.they are I think fast becoming northern " new northern " ?

I Wanna Love Him So Bad - The Jelly Beans

Will Collins & Will Power - Anything I Can Do

Sidney Barnes - Standing On Solid Ground

What do you think

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Good one Bazza . Ive always been told by my elders that proper Northern is 60's soul with a stomper beat . :thumbsup:

Always remember Guy , at Fleet , saying " Proper Nothern Soul " and then bang

Walter and the Somethings ... hmmm forgot now !! :ohmy:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

As Searling started playing more and more modern in his latter spots at Wigan this seemed to open the doors for other venues to spin more new releases and up to date sounds. Snaith and Todmorden all dayers, Sheffield Tiffs, Brum Locarno, Clifton Hall and Bradford etc, and Cleethorpes of course. Some brilliant tracks from that era are only now being recognised. I was there along with Sean and Steve, Robin, Adam, Poke and Steve Croft who gave most of the d.j's a chance to try and move the scene on in a modern way. New records were readily available form Soul Bowl and John Manship, 5 records for £6 including Charles Johnson... ahhhh..

Exciting times indeed............

p.s. whatever happened to Paul Bain ???

Social source share

Soul Bowl and John Manship, 5 records for £6 including Charles Johnson... ahhhh..

You certainly got a lot more sounds for your money , some of the £2.00 to £5.00 modern records are over £500 now even close to £1k . :thumbsup:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Soul Bowl and John Manship, 5 records for £6 including Charles Johnson... ahhhh..

You certainly got a lot more sounds for your money , some of the £2.00 to £5.00 modern records are over £500 now even close to £1k . :thumbsup:

A few more examples would be nice Simon.

Social source share

Interesting stuff.

I first became aware of the term via mags like Blackbeat (or maybe New Blackbeat ?) and tracks like Curtis, the Budwieser 12" singles ect. but I've been led to think that the term was coined earlier than that. Is there any printed evidence of the term being used before (circa) 1980 /1 ?

It ties in with whats been said in the replies...Modern Soul as it is today bears no real connection with the Northern scene but at the same time it's closely linked. But tracks like 'Pressure' and the currently popular Kirk Franklin track have a northern appeal without sounding like 60's tracks, whereas there are plenty on 'modern' (as in current) soul tracks which have no interest on the Northern scene.

Hi Simon,

I have a copy of Black Echoes March 14 1981 which has an advert for a modern soul night at the Oak hotel in Shrewsbury (where I believe the term originated) The following issue (March 21 1981) contains the same advert next to an ad for the Clifton hall, no mention of modern soul in the Clifton hall ad. Modern soul nights @ the Oak began in October 1980 and continued on an irregular basis untill 83/84 with local DJ's plus Soul Sam or Richard Searling as guest's. Playing mostly new releases and rare recent ones.

Cheer's Paul Woosnam

PS Did Facey come from Shrewsbury Mr Bridge?

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

Hi Simon,

I have a copy of Black Echoes March 14 1981 which has an advert for a modern soul night at the Oak hotel in Shrewsbury (where I believe the term originated) The following issue (March 21 1981) contains the same advert next to an ad for the Clifton hall, no mention of modern soul in the Clifton hall ad. Modern soul nights @ the Oak began in October 1980 and continued on an irregular basis untill 83/84 with local DJ's plus Soul Sam or Richard Searling as guest's. Playing mostly new releases and rare recent ones.

Cheer's Paul Woosnam

As you well know Paco,I never went to The Scene Club cause Im only 46 and Facey is one of those fictional chaps.

No, I`m rooting for Shrewsbury now.At least I can then say to my grandchildren that old uncle Paul knew where the term "modern soul" came from.To which they`ll probably reply "Go away Grandad,You boring old git"

Social source share

Cheers Steve, I only have a handfull of 'Blackbeats' and 'New Blackbeats' and December '82 is my earliest I think. They were passed to me at the time by a mate who subscibed. They all make for very interesting reading now , like an article on CD's before they were around and the advent [in the future] of cable and sattelite TV ! But the mags are full of mentions of obscure 'modern' tracks which seem to have vanished from playlists altogether. I suspect some of these records are far more obscure and rare that the same old Northern biggies taht people drone on and on about as if it's the only side of rare soul. I wonder if a parrell can be drawn between the quick falling away of newly released Modern Soul of the early 80's when a record was played and quickly dropped for the next independant obscurity and now, when the same thing happens? Surely many good new records are still being lost through the eagerness to be 'the first kid on the block' to have them ? But what has happenned to those ealry 80's releases?

Simon

If you go back to the old Blackbeats - probably c Issue 11 when I first got Sam to write for us, I seem to recall he did an introductory article which referenced "Modern Soul" and gave an explanation of what he was doing. WIll have to try and dig it out tonight to check as we are talking 1980-1. Previous to that I had been corresponding (there's a term you don't hear anymore!) with Sam via the old Basildon Bond paper method and we had been discussing tips, new records etc. Will get back to you once I have searched my "archives" :thumbsup:

Social source share

So March 1981 looks like the first confirmable metion so far, Paul...and Shrewbury the location. Does the ad give the Deejay line up?

Hi Simon,

Cheer's Paul Woosnam

Social source share

I Wanna Love Him So Bad - The Jelly Beans

Will Collins & Will Power - Anything I Can Do

Sidney Barnes - Standing On Solid Ground

What do you think

Bazza

Oops the Jelly beans tune should have been " you dont mean me no good"

Bazza

Social source share

Guy H ,was 60's only then .. but Ive been told he was first to play Joseph Webster .( obviously not a 60's record ) Its was certainly a good dancer ..

Okay then, your Nice always better than Xlnt at least. For me, 99% can be called Great, you know! :thumbsup:

Social source share

So March 1981 looks like the first confirmable metion so far, Paul...and Shrewbury the location. Does the ad give the Deejay line up?

DJ line up;

Soul Sam-Pip-Kipper-Dave+Andy G and the Dave Thomas roadshow

This was basically the line up for all the night's with Richard Searling alternating with Sam. Also the late Steve Plimmer would play a selection of mecca/70's oldies.

Pip,Kipper,Dave&Andy+Steve were also known as "The Shrewsbury Collective" and DJed at later modern 'dayers and nights in the north west.

Simon you've met Kipper yourself at various weekenders/gigs hes the one bothering you about wether Bobby Tayler records got a US release or not!

Unfortunately I can't scan these ad's but if you PM your address I can post them to you.

Cheer's Paul

PS Do you really need your grandkids to tell you you're a boring old git Mr Bridge? Thought this was common knowledge
:thumbsup:

PPS Simon on the same page as the Oak ad (14-3-81) is Richard Searlings Wigan allnighter top 20

1 "Feel It"-Revelation (Handshake 12)

3 "Hung up on loving You"-Will Collins(12-mix)

4 "Your Love Keeps Me Dancing"-Lee Moore(Source)

5 "I've Got My Secound Wind"-Tata Vega(Motown LP)

6 "Giving My Love To You"-Esther Williams(Pip Int)...,Cheryl Burdell I believe.

etc etc

Social source share

DJ line up;

This was basically the line up for all the night's with Richard Searling alternating with Sam. Also the late Steve Plimmer would play a selection of mecca/70's oldies.

Pip,Kipper,Dave&Andy+Steve were also known as "The Shrewsbury Collective" and DJed at later modern 'dayers and nights in the north west.

Simon you've met Kipper yourself at various weekenders/gigs hes the one bothering you about wether Bobby Tayler records got a US release or not!

Unfortunately I can't scan these ad's but if you PM your address I can post them to you.

Cheer's Paul

PS Do you really need your grandkids to tell you you're a boring old git Mr Bridge? Thought this was common knowledge
:thumbsup:

PPS Simon on the same page as the Oak ad (14-3-81) is Richard Searlings Wigan allnighter top 20

1 "Feel It"-Revelation (Handshake 12)

3 "Hung up on loving You"-Will Collins(12-mix)

4 "Your Love Keeps Me Dancing"-Lee Moore(Source)

5 "I've Got My Secound Wind"-Tata Vega(Motown LP)

6 "Giving My Love To You"-Esther Williams(Pip Int)...,Cheryl Burdell I believe.

etc etc

i love "feel it",got a seven and a 12"............................feel it, i`m feeling good vibrations :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest ON HUBERT STREET

Before Wigan closed.

I honestly don't know if me and my kin were and I've had a good long think about it.

Obviously Wigan floor-fillers such as Roy Dawson, Carol Anderson, Ike Strong, Phyllis Hyman, Skip mahoney, Mary Wilson and the like were being played in '81 but I can't actually be sure if I termed them 'Modern' or not?

Definately in our vocabulary the back end of '81 at Rotherham though.

I may be wrong, it gets harder remembering things these days.

Social source share

DJ line up;

I got to 2 or 3 of the Oak Hotel do's. Nice Intimate venue. The record that seemed to be the "anthem" there was the great Jean Carn "No No No (You Can't Come Back Now)". The guys there really knew there stuff. Is Pip still around?

Social source share

The record that seemed to be the "anthem" there was the great Jean Carn "No No No (You Can't Come Back Now)".

As soon as I saw that title I just knew immediately you'd solved one of my "tape identity" problems Robin. Nice 1 !!!!!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

I got to 2 or 3 of the Oak Hotel do's. Nice Intimate venue. The record that seemed to be the "anthem" there was the great Jean Carn "No No No (You Can't Come Back Now)". The guys there really knew there stuff. Is Pip still around?

I still see Pip every now and again. Happily settled down in here in Manchester with a family. Not too bothered about the soul scene any more.

Regards Alan

Social source share

As soon as I saw that title I just knew immediately you'd solved one of my "tape identity" problems Robin. Nice 1 !!!!!!

Cheers,

Mark R

What a nice track that is..but then I'm biased towards anything from Ms Carne !

Social source share

This would be consistent with my review of old Blackbeats.

I can confirm the term was from SOUL SAM. I knew him from Wigan and he we corresponded between our paths crosing at all nighters etc such as Wigan in 1980 and Bedford Nite Spot. We were talking about modern soul records (Sam's phrase), and I encouraged him to write a column for Blackbeat.

Before his column the talk was of "70's" sounds and I wrote a column headed up "80s sounds and New releases". Thus I conclude that whilst we were talking about the same records it was young Mr Barnfather who coined the phrase "Modern Soul".

His first column was written at the end of 1980, and published on 15th March 1981 Issue 8. This would be entirely consistent with the Oak iN Shrewsbury timewise. I reprint parts of it here - this was Sam at his best....

"In this my first column I'll try to explain the current support for uptempo soul music, how I became involed and conclude with reviews of recent releases. Until virtually the present time the only venues programming new uptempo soul (as distinct from Jazz Funk) have been northern ones but the amount played has varied from Snaith (over 50%) to Wigan (10-20%). With the temporary demise of Snaith, my sacking from Wigan (for playing totally 70's and explaining my standpoint in a letter to Black Echoes) the percentage played is considerably less......

Not I believe through a lack of support from a sizeable minority, especially at Wigan, but the unwillingness of the majority to accept the inevitable - there must be acceptance of developments in black music on the rarer soul scene. Letters I've received from such widely scattered places...plus the people I already know suggest a large POTENTIAL following, which from others I've spoken to, could easily be swelled by more from the Jazz Funk scene who are into soul rather than exhibitionism!".....

Over 18 months ago while at John Anderson's SOUL BOWL I heard a tape with records on it like "Over the top" - James Mack, "I wanna spend some time with you" - Top Cat....in less than an hour I was hooked! These records HAD to be played, but it took months before I acquired such gems.

For the first time in years I was buying records not only because as great dancers they were useful for DJ purposes, but were also tremendous to listen to at home or on car cassettes. I was really involved in the music again.

Ever since I have made regular trips to obtain SOUL BOWL obscurities and more recently some from DAVE RAISTRICK and JOHN MANSHIP......

The very fact that the soulful quality of the vocals was so strong persuaded me to take a closer look at some of the more readily available major label 7" discs most of which came into the UK via Record Corner of Balham...or Soul Bowl. Avoiding Jazz Funk, apart from personal favourites, I soon found that week by week I was adding soulful uptempo items after hearing them at a shop in Wolverhampton (run by...Pep) which took Record Corner stock, in fact too many to playlist at once. These have included Alfie Davison....Dee Edwards, Chuck Strong, Charles Johnson....To me this is soul music for today; my interest as a collector has been renewed and judging from the number of copies some of the singles I have resold, others feel the same, realizing that high priced exclusiveness doesn't necessarily mean a great record!"

He then concludes with a few reviews including Daybreak, Tony Fox, Emannuel Lasky etc. Signing off "Till next time remember SOUL KEEPS MOVIN'ON"

So there you have it.

Interesting other snippets from that Issue. There were planned Grapevine releases for Eddie Holman "Where I'm not wanted", a reissue of the Tomangoes (which had been withdrawn, Joe Matthews and the Superbs though John had told me that releases had been delayed until April 1981! Rod Dearlove wrote a colum (this was pre Midnite Express remember) where he is questioning a £2.50 pricetag on Jimmy Mack on Palmer :D and starts his column "After the recent Wigan split will Sam call it a day"..... :D Got that one well wrong, and if you think that was bad I was speculating that the Top Cat cover up which we were all trying to locate, infact Larry Houston, might be Ace Spectrum - what a mess and how little we knew!

Steve

Social source share

This would be consistent with my review of old Blackbeats.

I can confirm the term was from SOUL SAM. I knew him from Wigan and he we corresponded between our paths crosing at all nighters etc such as Wigan in 1980 and Bedford Nite Spot. We were talking about modern soul records (Sam's phrase), and I encouraged him to write a column for Blackbeat.

Before his column the talk was of "70's" sounds and I wrote a column headed up "80s sounds and New releases". Thus I conclude that whilst we were talking about the same records it was young Mr Barnfather who coined the phrase "Modern Soul".

His first column was written at the end of 1980, and published on 15th March 1981 Issue 8. This would be entirely consistent with the Oak iN Shrewsbury timewise. I reprint parts of it here - this was Sam at his best....

"In this my first column I'll try to explain the current support for uptempo soul music, how I became involed and conclude with reviews of recent releases. Until virtually the present time the only venues programming new uptempo soul (as distinct from Jazz Funk) have been northern ones but the amount played has varied from Snaith (over 50%) to Wigan (10-20%). With the temporary demise of Snaith, my sacking from Wigan (for playing totally 70's and explaining my standpoint in a letter to Black Echoes) the percentage played is considerably less......

Not I believe through a lack of support from a sizeable minority, especially at Wigan, but the unwillingness of the majority to accept the inevitable - there must be acceptance of developments in black music on the rarer soul scene. Letters I've received from such widely scattered places...plus the people I already know suggest a large POTENTIAL following, which from others I've spoken to, could easily be swelled by more from the Jazz Funk scene who are into soul rather than exhibitionism!".....

Over 18 months ago while at John Anderson's SOUL BOWL I heard a tape with records on it like "Over the top" - James Mack, "I wanna spend some time with you" - Top Cat....in less than an hour I was hooked! These records HAD to be played, but it took months before I acquired such gems.

For the first time in years I was buying records not only because as great dancers they were useful for DJ purposes, but were also tremendous to listen to at home or on car cassettes. I was really involved in the music again.

Ever since I have made regular trips to obtain SOUL BOWL obscurities and more recently some from DAVE RAISTRICK and JOHN MANSHIP......

The very fact that the soulful quality of the vocals was so strong persuaded me to take a closer look at some of the more readily available major label 7" discs most of which came into the UK via Record Corner of Balham...or Soul Bowl. Avoiding Jazz Funk, apart from personal favourites, I soon found that week by week I was adding soulful uptempo items after hearing them at a shop in Wolverhampton (run by...Pep) which took Record Corner stock, in fact too many to playlist at once. These have included Alfie Davison....Dee Edwards, Chuck Strong, Charles Johnson....To me this is soul music for today; my interest as a collector has been renewed and judging from the number of copies some of the singles I have resold, others feel the same, realizing that high priced exclusiveness doesn't necessarily mean a great record!"

He then concludes with a few reviews including Daybreak, Tony Fox, Emannuel Lasky etc. Signing off "Till next time remember SOUL KEEPS MOVIN'ON"

So there you have it.

Interesting other snippets from that Issue. There were planned Grapevine releases for Eddie Holman "Where I'm not wanted", a reissue of the Tomangoes (which had been withdrawn, Joe Matthews and the Superbs though John had told me that releases had been delayed until April 1981! Rod Dearlove wrote a colum (this was pre Midnite Express remember) where he is questioning a £2.50 pricetag on Jimmy Mack on Palmer :D and starts his column "After the recent Wigan split will Sam call it a day"..... :D Got that one well wrong, and if you think that was bad I was speculating that the Top Cat cover up which we were all trying to locate, infact Larry Houston, might be Ace Spectrum - what a mess and how little we knew!

Steve

Well thats it in Black and White... Cool ! . I still have a feeling that John Anderson may have coined the term in discussions with Sam ( as he did a little later with the term " Indie Soul ) but you'd have to get Sam and John to confirm that

Simon Murray

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert