Original Vinyl Or Nothing

Bazza

And quite rightly too (taking them as compliments).

That is how I describe Northern Soul to people who don't know anything about it. It is an elitist soul snob thing cos we want the obscure and hard to find not the hits, the run of the mill etc I want the original format that the artist recorded on, I want to look at the label and read the credits and feel that I've got a link to the past. I like to think that the artist may have held this vinyl in his hand and possibly touted it round radio stations in an attempt to get it plays. I love the little red crosses that DJ's at 60's radio stations put on demos to remind them which side to play and how good the track is, I like them better when they are on the "wrong" side :D . I want to feel the hairs on the back of my neck rise when I put a newly arrived rare original on my decks and hear it play for the first time on my bit of vinyl. I want to hear the music fill my head. I want to play my records out in the hope that other people feel the same way and appreciate what I've collected and the way I've put my set together. I want to go and hear others play their records out and hear what they are collecting and what they think is good. I want to dance in my own clumsy way to the sounds that other people put together to make a set at that time on that night. I want to hear new sounds. I want to hear classics. I want to nod appreciatively and get up and dance to a record that is fantastic but probably unattainable to me due to either rarity or cost: "well done mate for finding and getting that and playing it out so I can share it"

Soul snobbery and elitism .... YES PLEASE! BRING IT ON!

RIGHT ON !!!!!! blush.gif:D:D:D

Social source share

• Replies 319
  • Views 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Bearsy

That is how I describe Northern Soul to people who don't know anything about it. It is an elitist soul snob thing cos we want the obscure and hard to find not the hits, the run of the mill etc I want the original format that the artist recorded on, I want to look at the label and read the credits and feel that I've got a link to the past. I like to think that the artist may have held this vinyl in his hand and possibly touted it round radio stations in an attempt to get it plays. I love the little red crosses that DJ's at 60's radio stations put on demos to remind them which side to play and how good the track is, I like them better when they are on the "wrong" side :D . I want to feel the hairs on the back of my neck rise when I put a newly arrived rare original on my decks and hear it play for the first time on my bit of vinyl. I want to hear the music fill my head. I want to play my records out in the hope that other people feel the same way and appreciate what I've collected and the way I've put my set together. I want to go and hear others play their records out and hear what they are collecting and what they think is good. I want to dance in my own clumsy way to the sounds that other people put together to make a set at that time on that night. I want to hear new sounds. I want to hear classics. I want to nod appreciatively and get up and dance to a record that is fantastic but probably unattainable to me due to either rarity or cost: "well done mate for finding and getting that and playing it out so I can share it"

That is the best point of view ive read about this post so far and i totally agree with you, you have made me see the aspect of dj`ing from a different way and its true it dont have to be rare and expensive to be a good tune as long as you feel it as you do and trust in your music that others will feel the same way,

your own little piece of original history blush.gif

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

That is how I describe Northern Soul to people who don't know anything about it. It is an elitist soul snob thing cos we want the obscure and hard to find not the hits, the run of the mill etc I want the original format that the artist recorded on, I want to look at the label and read the credits and feel that I've got a link to the past. I like to think that the artist may have held this vinyl in his hand and possibly touted it round radio stations in an attempt to get it plays. I love the little red crosses that DJ's at 60's radio stations put on demos to remind them which side to play and how good the track is, I like them better when they are on the "wrong" side thumbsup.gif . I want to feel the hairs on the back of my neck rise when I put a newly arrived rare original on my decks and hear it play for the first time on my bit of vinyl. I want to hear the music fill my head. I want to play my records out in the hope that other people feel the same way and appreciate what I've collected and the way I've put my set together. I want to go and hear others play their records out and hear what they are collecting and what they think is good. I want to dance in my own clumsy way to the sounds that other people put together to make a set at that time on that night. I want to hear new sounds. I want to hear classics. I want to nod appreciatively and get up and dance to a record that is fantastic but probably unattainable to me due to either rarity or cost: "well done mate for finding and getting that and playing it out so I can share it"

When a DJ shows as much enthusiasm and pride about the music they play...it's contageous.

Social source share

i guess that's you then, respect your opinion but thank fook there's another 60 billion people in the world with as diverse opinions and faces or finger prints (or is that just in MY world!!!) thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Try again with this one..51 years old been around a bit.I admit to being a bit "old school" I love the northern classics, my alltime fave is " Magnetics-I Have A Girl " I have been Back on the scene about 5 year, in that time i have only heard this tune played 2 or 3 times, now we all know owning that bit of 39 year old vinyl would be fantastic.no argument

I would have a big stupid grin on my face if local'ish DJ's played it,but ofcourse they dont reasons are as you lot know

1 its very rare and expensive on the original label "Ra Sel - £2000"

2 If they had it, would they play it in a working mens club with the floor heaving, even with cusioned decks, I remember once when a member of the bar staff leaned accross to the DJ, cought the pickup arm on his shirt sleave ,orrible noise you get the idea..I would not dare play one of my treasured tunes and would not really expect you too

So is this a reason to allow CD's or reissues at venues I think it is

I am not trying to start a slanging match about vinyl V CD...I love the music and just want to here these rare great old tunes

if it came down to original vinyl and never here the tunes or reissue or cd and hear the tunes, I want to here the tunes

Regards..Bazza

You know, I've heard the Magnetics about one billion times.. so what. As you say, it's a fab tune!

Reason one it's not played all the time, coz I've heard it billions of times meaning it's been out out a while. People get pissed off quite easily. Especially the elite collectors.

Social source share

Well it's all pretty relative really. I'm a collector in little sleepy dreamy Shrewsbury and this is a town without a great soul following really (these days...with a few exceptions like Chic!) But as I have been collecting since I was 18 (now 42) and I hope I have enough originals to entertain a crowd and keep the floor full hopefully. So it will always be my best endeavour to play original vinyl whenever I can (as I've always bought the tracks I love on original) although I have never spent more than £250 on my individual vinyl so obviously I have a few gaps!

But if someone requests a particular sound and the boot is in my box of course I will give it a spin as it's about entertaining the crowd not massaging my own ego.

But if you want to hear that awesome fantastic rare sound then it's about travelling to see the DJ who posesses it...and of course that is part of the adventure!!!

I know it was when I was driving to TOTW Stafford in the 80's to hear Pat, Keb, Guy and Dave!

Knowing the DJ has it on that rare elusive label is still a massive turn on for a lot of us and well worth travelling a few miles!!

Social source share

You know, I've heard the Magnetics about one billion times.. so what. As you say, it's a fab tune!

Reason one it's not played all the time, coz I've heard it billions of times meaning it's been out out a while. People get pissed off quite easily. Especially the elite collectors.

Ok ,now you've lost me,but anyway ,I wish you all the luck in the world with you're new venture,hope its a success

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

For me as said if own original play but on what should be played is wouldn't it better if they had some tunes that are played all the time like if you get 4 songs that are just classics must be played. Then have songs that are regularly played so instead of hearing them every week they have them on every so often and change so others get played then obviously the new ones get played so we hear something we ain't heard or know of.

For me one thing that would kill the scene is if a lot of the old songs stop being played cause they are over played i personally like some old songs and classics and although i might have on CD and can hear anytime of the day/week i would enjoy being out and hearing it sometimes.

The fact people want to hear all new stuff may well be that down the line they will become over played so so we talk about the next line of new songs and does people really want to go to a Northern soul night every time and expect every say 60 songs played to be all new and never heard of that one cause wouldn't that get boring especially if only to be played out once and no more or few a few spins before we decide it's over played

Social source share

For me as said if own original play but on what should be played is wouldn't it better if they had some tunes that are played all the time like if you get 4 songs that are just classics must be played. Then have songs that are regularly played so instead of hearing them every week they have them on every so often and change so others get played then obviously the new ones get played so we hear something we ain't heard or know of.

For me one thing that would kill the scene is if a lot of the old songs stop being played cause they are over played i personally like some old songs and classics and although i might have on CD and can hear anytime of the day/week i would enjoy being out and hearing it sometimes.

The fact people want to hear all new stuff may well be that down the line they will become over played so so we talk about the next line of new songs and does people really want to go to a Northern soul night every time and expect every say 60 songs played to be all new and never heard of that one cause wouldn't that get boring especially if only to be played out once and no more or few a few spins before we decide it's over played

Sorry mate - bur what the f*** are you on about? :lol:

I've read that through 3 times & I'm still none the wiser. :D

Somebody help me out here? :(

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

you have lost us again mate :D

the problem is that this guy never returns to explain himself. i have asked him a few times.

ah well

Shane

Social source share

Sorry mate - bur what the f*** are you on about? :lol:

I've read that through 3 times & I'm still none the wiser. :D

Somebody help me out here? :lol:

You have to put mental commas in as you read Rowly. Doesn't help much but you don't run out of breath reading it. :(

Social source share

Ok ,now you've lost me,but anyway ,I wish you all the luck in the world with you're new venture,hope its a success

Bazza

I lost myself too for a minute trying to remember what the hell I was on about :D I think my answer was about that guy asking why he doesn't here the Magnetics anymore. I think I was trying to say that it got played so much people weren't wanting it so much :(

Social source share

Guest rachel

I think this means some sort of rotation system of 'classics' from week to week, with a set 4 which are played every week, I'm not sure who decides what the 4 are :(

Some oldies should still get played now and then. I think :lol:

The fact people want to hear all new stuff may well be that down the line they will become over played so so we talk about the next line of new songs

New tunes get played, then they get overplayed, so then you need some new new tunes.

and does people really want to go to a Northern soul night every time and expect every say 60 songs played to be all new and never heard of that one cause wouldn't that get boring especially if only to be played out once and no more or few a few spins before we decide it's over played

Does anybody want to hear all new tunes all night? Or to only hear a tune out a few times before it gets put aside and not played again?

Rough translation... I think.... :D

Social source share

I think this means some sort of rotation system of 'classics' from week to week, with a set 4 which are played every week, I'm not sure who decides what the 4 are :D

Some oldies should still get played now and then. I think :D

New tunes get played, then they get overplayed, so then you need some new new tunes.

Does anybody want to hear all new tunes all night? Or to only hear a tune out a few times before it gets put aside and not played again?

Rough translation... I think.... :(

Nice one Rachel - Cheers! :lol::lol:

I can see why you're a moderator.... :lol:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i forget to explain and yes the songs that get played week in week are selected by the DJ's them selves it's a typical answer to a set of something like 15 songs in 1 hour.

The last being yes on new tunes that people want to hear them but only a few times before put aside and forgeten about to me that seems daft

Social source share

my brains gone, some of this and other current related threads/polls is getting me confused (thats easy eh)

Yes unearthing danceable fresh or forgotten should be what djn is about, and those clubs and dj's who do this best usually get noticed most and keep driving this scene.

havin the money to buy a recognised "big ticket" isnt always that inventive.

I've seen on this site a distinction between playing/hearing UK as not as good as US original! why? sometimes the UK is alot harder.

Some wont play/hear lp only tracks at a venue, again why?

Apparently some will walk out of a room if they see non original on the turntable (if you can determine a counterfeit from a real one in a darkened room at 5 paces, well more power to you), tho its allright for them or others when dj'n if you have the original; be it completely knackered sitting cosily somewhere nearby, can now understand the growth in demand for unplayable "big ticket" records.

Its also ok to cut a dub of something you've once owned, tho if its the original knackered one you'd be better off going to vinyl carvers with a cd copy, better still create a label for that boot.

If a dj plays a boot its an admission he aint got (a playable at least) copy, maybe he caters for requests (unfortunately for some theres many regular punters who just want to hear the known classics).

If its only the 1 or maybe 2 harder tunes and he makes up for it with a set that overall is original and offers fresh food for thought, no major harm done imo.

If you Play the odd boot be it for request only (and now add the fact you never use a mic like Fluff Freeman) you probably dont mind you aint gonna be on the Northern Soul Dj career ladder.

If you pay in to hear originals, you should know prior to entering from the dj list/reputation what to expect (and a good promoter should make this clear. If for some reason you are dissapointed head straight to the door via the promoter for a refund explaining your distress.

If at a supposed call it "grade A" OVO night, and you notice a dj doing something underhand, ideally especially if your a fellow dj you should question him there and then,

if you aint got the balls or are a pacifist you should go straight to the promoter asking what the story was, naming and shaming if not satisfied with outcome.

So should I skip my albums and uk 45's, track down some knackered vinyl ashtray's (with matching boots), and get some dj lessons from Mike Smash & Dave Nice

Social source share

I think this means some sort of rotation system of 'classics' from week to week, with a set 4 which are played every week, I'm not sure who decides what the 4 are thumbsup.gif

Some oldies should still get played now and then. I think :D

Rough translation... I think.... :thumbsup:

Rachel.......You didn't help crack the Enigma code by any chance did you :D

Social source share

Guest rachel

Rachel.......You didn't help crack the Enigma code by any chance did you :D

I'm not allowed to talk about it thumbsup.gif ... hang on, I'm not that old :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert