Original Vinyl Or Nothing

Bazza

Hi Doug..yes it was a good night enjoyed it..i admit most of the stuff was new to me. i did nip down stairs for half an hour for a bit of a breather it was quite full,,what I was saying was I like to here (new to me stuff ) and I like to hear some of the old classics for different reasons the classics to dance to the newies to listen to ..if you get my drift shades.gif

Bazza

agree with sentiment as my original quote was intended try and give a bit of everything to every one

Chris forrest then Ginger Taylor then Arthur Fenn add Soul Sam which should give everybody something different and can guarantee its all in the music played

Doug

:wicked::lol:

Social source share

• Replies 319
  • Views 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I may as well throw my two pennorth in.

Firstly let me make my own stance clear - I am a vinyl collector, when I used to DJ I only played proper vinyl and I spent the best part of my teen and adult life searching for and buying original vinyl and that "passion" was to the exclusion of just about everything (and everyone) else in my life. I re-mortgaged the house to buy records and consequently had it reposessed when I lost the job. Even spent the money I'd saved up for the revenue on vinyl too, the taxman was not best pleased to say the least Still do buy the odd record now and again but have calmed down the last few years. So for me vinyl, vinyl and more vinyl.

But .... the best collection in the world doesn't make a good DJ. No way, no how. A good DJ is one who knows how to put a set of records together for the specific crowd for which he (or she) is playing to. Be they rarities, common as muck, vinyl, CD, or even mp3 is irrelevant as long as the paying punters enjoy themselves. In the context of some venues then original vinyl is just as important as the ability to put the set of records together, but not in most.

Phil

Phil-I couldn`t have put it better myself....Right on bro..

Social source share

Don't really go to any venues as I have two littluns and spend as much time as I can with them - So I like to listen to my MP3 player, I buy vinyl all the time and transfer it over to mp3 straight away for the car and the office. I don't care if its Northern deep soul or whatever - if it's got soul and its a quality record that does me. I've got some cracking rare stuff but I still listen to what I would call commercial stuff from the 70's that used to appear in the Blues & Soul mag charts - especially if it brings back memories. I have bought some cd's with supposed rare stuff on and some of it is rare because no one bought it the first time round because it was sh**e and the fact that it still exists in vinyl 40 yrs later doesn't make it a good record. If I do go to a venue I would like to hear some stuff I know along with new stuff I haven't heard but it has to be quality. I love all this motown stuff that has come from the vaults but as for transferring it on to vinyl just so you can play at a venue is a bit small minded IMHO - just play it for christ sake.

Social source share

Don't really go to any venues as I have two littluns and spend as much time as I can with them - So I like to listen to my MP3 player, I buy vinyl all the time and transfer it over to mp3 straight away for the car and the office. I don't care if its Northern deep soul or whatever - if it's got soul and its a quality record that does me. I've got some cracking rare stuff but I still listen to what I would call commercial stuff from the 70's that used to appear in the Blues & Soul mag charts - especially if it brings back memories. I have bought some cd's with supposed rare stuff on and some of it is rare because no one bought it the first time round because it was sh**e and the fact that it still exists in vinyl 40 yrs later doesn't make it a good record. If I do go to a venue I would like to hear some stuff I know along with new stuff I haven't heard but it has to be quality. I love all this motown stuff that has come from the vaults but as for transferring it on to vinyl just so you can play at a venue is a bit small minded IMHO - just play it for christ sake.

BIG up stateside :yes::lol::(:yes::yes::(

Social source share

Hi I must know you, never miss barrowhill infact was there friday..not many in tho' im the little chap always dressed in black bald tinted specs

Bazza

Bazza-We are talking the 4th of August? Are you sure you weren`t dressed in a tinted shirt and wearing BLACK specs? :( Seriously though, taking into account the size of the room we can never get a vast amount of people in anyway! But I think it was in fact one of our biggest crowds so far this year! At least it SEEMED to be-maybe because everyone seemed to be on the dancefloor most of the night! :yes:

Glad you like it though. :yes:

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

Bazza-We are talking the 4th of August? Are you sure you weren`t dressed in a tinted shirt and wearing BLACK specs? :( Seriously though, taking into account the size of the room we can never get a vast amount of people in anyway! But I think it was in fact one of our biggest crowds so far this year! At least it SEEMED to be-maybe because everyone seemed to be on the dancefloor most of the night! :yes:

Glad you like it though. :yes:

Hi Stu..you know I never miss it, love place love the atmosphere ,most of the the peeps that go are usually on the floor.allways worth a visit,I cant fault it ,good mixture of tunes oldies newies the odd modern tune ,something for every taste...what more can you want see you soon Stu

Bazza

Social source share

Hi Stu..you know I never miss it, love place love the atmosphere ,most of the the peeps that go are usually on the floor.allways worth a visit,I cant fault it ,good mixture of tunes oldies newies the odd modern tune ,something for every taste...what more can you want see you soon Stu

Bazza

You`re always welcome anytime! See you soon, brother! :yes:

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

I know your scooter dont beat a £9000 superbike :yes:

Bearsy ... at least bits don't keep falling off mine.

Anyway, one of them does (over about 40 feet).

McGoo :yes:

Edited by kent soul club
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I know your scooter dont beat a £9000 superbike :yes:

Bearsy ... at least bits don't keep falling off mine.

Anyway, one of them does (over about 40 feet).

McGoo :yes:

i wouldnt say a carb, tool box door, panel, headlight rim and myself are bits would you ??

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

What does it matter so much if someone dosen't always play originals. If you can afford to buy originals so be it but if you can't what can you do?.

People who go to Northern soul nights wouldn't care if someone plays a re-issue (after all Frank Wilson is re-issued).

Another point is what if you had both some originals you played then again a re-issue of a song you want playing

Lastly for me which maybe i could have used as seperate thread is in originals does it mean UK or US. Because i am sure some say owning original US 45 is better then Original UK 45 but to me i am happy if i had original UK 45 and not US. After all i am from England

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

What does it matter so much if someone dosen't always play originals. If you can afford to buy originals so be it but if you can't what can you do?. if you don't have originals you shouldn't be dj'ing , easy as that

People who go to Northern soul nights wouldn't care if someone plays a re-issue (after all Frank Wilson is re-issued). not when kenny burrell plays it it's not

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

What does it matter so much if someone dosen't always play originals. If you can afford to buy originals so be it but if you can't what can you do?. if you don't have originals you shouldn't be dj'ing , easy as that

But does that not make it harder for the local events in the middle of nowhere who want a night of northern soul on thier doorstep every now and then obselete. if your not advertising `on original vinyl only` what harm is being done,If though you are paying top dj`s top money to do a spot and a young up and coming local dj plays non original stuff whilst not getting paid what can you say.its seems that the majority on the floor dont care depending on which venue you are at of course.not everyone has been collecting for 30 odd years and dj`s have to start somewhere,if it helps the scene all well and good and if it dont what should be done.

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Try again with this one..51 years old been around a bit.I admit to being a bit "old school" I love the northern classics, my alltime fave is " Magnetics-I Have A Girl " I have been Back on the scene about 5 year, in that time i have only heard this tune played 2 or 3 times, now we all know owning that bit of 39 year old vinyl would be fantastic.no argument

I would have a big stupid grin on my face if local'ish DJ's played it,but ofcourse they dont reasons are as you lot know

1 its very rare and expensive on the original label "Ra Sel - £2000"

2 If they had it, would they play it in a working mens club with the floor heaving, even with cusioned decks, I remember once when a member of the bar staff leaned accross to the DJ, cought the pickup arm on his shirt sleave ,orrible noise you get the idea..I would not dare play one of my treasured tunes and would not really expect you too

So is this a reason to allow CD's or reissues at venues I think it is

I am not trying to start a slanging match about vinyl V CD...I love the music and just want to here these rare great old tunes

if it came down to original vinyl and never here the tunes or reissue or cd and hear the tunes, I want to here the tunes

Regards..Bazza

:wicked: As one of the promoters of Pilsley soul nights can I say that we would never advocate the playing of CD's and as far as possible (!) would always go with originals (Thought I would make this clear as Bazza has put Pilsley soul as the event he is affiliated to). Come and have a chat with us Bazza on the 19th !!

Edited by mcFly
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

But does that not make it harder for the local events in the middle of nowhere who want a night of northern soul on thier doorstep every now and then obselete. if your not advertising `on original vinyl only` what harm is being done,If though you are paying top dj`s top money to do a spot and a young up and coming local dj plays non original stuff whilst not getting paid what can you say.its seems that the majority on the floor dont care depending on which venue you are at of course.not everyone has been collecting for 30 odd years and dj`s have to start somewhere,if it helps the scene all well and good and if it dont what should be done.

there are hunderds if not thousands of excellent tunes at £5-£20 ....play them , they are original and are much better than playing a boot of a hackneyed oldie

Social source share

too right Davie, most of 'em better than your £1000+ rarities too :wicked:

I think simetimes if you are at a do and the dj plays a track you don't know staright away you think..blimey how much is that gonna be...

People are just under the impression records all have to be expensive...

I think (and this is my own opinion.....)

If you pay a £5er for a reissue/boot in 2 years it will still be a £5er if you can get rid of it... pay £15/£20 for an original you will at least get your money back and a bit, but if its picked up plays your laughing..

and heres one for all you scooter owners out there...

Vespa or Baja?

Italian Lambretta or Indian?

and why?

Edited by mischief
Social source share

As one of the promoters of Pilsley soul nights can I say that we would never advocate the playing of CD's and as far as possible (!) would always go with originals (Thought I would make this clear as Bazza has put Pilsley soul as the event he is affiliated to). Come and have a chat with us Bazza on the 19th !!

"Event:

Your regular must go to event or one that you are involved with"

No I am not saying I am involved with it,but I do consider it my must go and never miss event

I never miss it ,is that Barry or Chris cos you both know me

Bazza

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

there are hunderds if not thousands of excellent tunes at £5-£20 ....play them , they are original and are much better than playing a boot of a hackneyed oldie

i cant agree more as that is what it should be about imho, but when people are asking requests they often ask for the ones that could be out of reach for some people financialy as often they are the ones that are more known thats why they are booted afterall are`nt they, if they dont hear what they know they dont like often is the case,

i think thats what the debate was kinding aiming at but knowing me i have probably got it wrong

Social source share

Hiya it seems to me that the majority have NO idea about "soul collecting" and indeed only want to be presented with the usual fodder at an event that purports to be something to do with "Northern Soul"

Most ,it seems want to listen to the "snake" several times before heralding the best ever night out for years....

How anyone can still want to records they have heard for the last 30+ years is beyond me

Especially when they are available at any time at home,either on a boot ,pressing ,cd etc

I want to hear as many as possible that are unknown to me AND YOU CAN REST ASSURED THAT MEANS ORIGINALS........ATB Stevie Z

Social source share

I think simetimes if you are at a do and the dj plays a track you don't know staright away you think..blimey how much is that gonna be...

If you pay a £5er for a reissue/boot in 2 years it will still be a £5er if you can get rid of it... pay £15/£20 for an original you will at least get your money back and a bit, but if its picked up plays your laughing..

Vespa or Baja?

and why?

I always play some cheap stuff in my sets. Nowt worse than thinkin' wow after hearing something and then finding out you'll never own a copy :wicked:

Social source share

As one of the promoters of Pilsley soul nights can I say that we would never advocate the playing of CD's and as far as possible (!) would always go with originals (Thought I would make this clear as Bazza has put Pilsley soul as the event he is affiliated to). Come and have a chat with us Bazza on the 19th !!

"Event:

Your regular must go to event or one that you are involved with"

No I am not saying I am involved with it,but I do consider it my must go and never miss event

I never miss it ,is that Barry or Chris cos you both know me

Bazza

Its Chris Mate, Still like you to come and have a chat on the 19th I can see who you are then :wicked: Thanks for your support

Social source share

Hiya it seems to me that the majority have NO idea about "soul collecting" and indeed only want to be presented with the usual fodder at an event that purports to be something to do with "Northern Soul"

Most ,it seems want to listen to the "snake" several times before heralding the best ever night out for years....

How anyone can still want to records they have heard for the last 30+ years is beyond me

Especially when they are available at any time at home,either on a boot ,pressing ,cd etc

I want to hear as many as possible that are unknown to me AND YOU CAN REST ASSURED THAT MEANS ORIGINALS........ATB Stevie Z

You do spout some rubbish Steve z,but each to his own

Bazza

Social source share

I always play some cheap stuff in my sets. Nowt worse than thinkin' wow after hearing something and then finding out you'll never own a copy :wicked:

Me too, cheaper is the way forward IMO,

Bit like that record i asked you about at Micks party, expecting it to be about £40 (think it was Flanny played it, bit of a strange name for a group) only to be told it was mega rare :lol:

The thing here is every one is missing one vital point, at the end of the day its down to the dancers, and IMO telling them and the majority they have no idea about collecting/lower class citizans ect ect, aint gonna win them over remember with out the dancers there is no scene, so you have to give them what they want, but that dont always mean having to resort to overplayed tunes every one is chasing and boots CD's a thinking DJ will get the reaction, not because they are playing a spot of unkowns or boots or CD's

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Vespa or Baja?

and why?

oh Mischief what a subject to hit on,

yet again its about affordability,

some have money galore to chuck at them others like myself have bitsers,

its easy to go out and buy the best but its better to build your own

spanish s2 for me next i hope with side car and ts1.

some i know for them it has to be italian and original

whats your flavour ?

Social source share

At venues it's not about hearing - it's about dancing isn't it? So most of the people who pay to get in want to dance, and they won't dance to tracks they don't know. Usually.

Social source share

Try again with this one..51 years old been around a bit.I admit to being a bit "old school" I love the northern classics, my alltime fave is " Magnetics-I Have A Girl " I have been Back on the scene about 5 year, in that time i have only heard this tune played 2 or 3 times, now we all know owning that bit of 39 year old vinyl would be fantastic.no argument

I would have a big stupid grin on my face if local'ish DJ's played it,but ofcourse they dont reasons are as you lot know

1 its very rare and expensive on the original label "Ra Sel - £2000"

2 If they had it, would they play it in a working mens club with the floor heaving, even with cusioned decks, I remember once when a member of the bar staff leaned accross to the DJ, cought the pickup arm on his shirt sleave ,orrible noise you get the idea..I would not dare play one of my treasured tunes and would not really expect you too

So is this a reason to allow CD's or reissues at venues I think it is

I am not trying to start a slanging match about vinyl V CD...I love the music and just want to here these rare great old tunes

if it came down to original vinyl and never here the tunes or reissue or cd and hear the tunes, I want to here the tunes

Regards..Bazza

Sorry for not reading further as too many posts to read.

I would definately want to hear it on Vinyl only, a lot of my fav tunes are not that expensive - but a lot are - maybe a few copies etc, but I go to venues that have the DJ with the said record in their line up - the pleasure is greater when your not hearing it out every week. One of my fav records to dance too is - The Trannels - Blessed with this love - Bob Hinsley plays it - Mick H & Tim played it recent, but now it's gonna be available to anyone - so it'll get played to death like a lot of stuff. :P

Don't get me wrong lot's of records to buy that are within most of our budgets, but most of us have records we search long and hard for and will pay a lot of money to own, all part of fun of record collecting. :lol:

No fun or pleasure gracing the decks with reissues or cd's as anyone can do this without putting time, effort or money into it. :lol:

My personal opinion only - but one I have always felt very strongly about. :wicked:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

At venues it's not about hearing - it's about dancing isn't it? So most of the people who pay to get in want to dance, and they won't dance to tracks they don't know. Usually.

See my above post pete :D

Not always the case though, if your set flows the dancers will stay on the floor :thumbsup:

Social source share

You do spout some rubbish Steve z,but each to his own

Bazza

Please, explain yourself.Each to his own?Try and place a little detail when you reply,instead of spurious comments...I'll wait 20minutes for your reply 'cos I know it will take you that amount of time to find a dictionary. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Please, explain yourself.Each to his own?Try and place a little detail when you reply,instead of spurious comments...I'll wait 20minutes for your reply 'cos I know it will take you that amount of time to find a dictionary. :D

i wish he would hurry up as i cant find my dictioary :thumbsup:

Social source share

In your bedroom maybe :D not at a place where real people are

:D There is real people in my bedroom, they are only tiny though and they tell me to burn things :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi steve ..as I have said before..I like to hear the newies ,I also like to hear the classics,classics to dance too, and the newies to listen too,from what your saying ,because I like to dance to the old classics ,it must mean I am some lower form of soulie...not true ( at least I dont think so )

Bazza

Social source share

:D There is real people in my bedroom, they are only tiny though and they tell me to burn things :thumbsup:

I don't want to take this offtopic but that above statement matches exactly a film I've got, early 70's tv movie where there's these little gremlin things live in this old house and they drive the new owner mental. By playing The Carstairs over and over again.

Social source share

HI Pete ,are you stating that people are not listening just hearing?If the point you are making , is about the "usual" tunes I take your point...BORING TO LISTEN TO..well it is to me.

I'm not so sure about the security that most seem to hold about tried and tested " I can dance to this" ' cos I have done so for the last 30+ years...

The excitement must be in the unknown tune?That will IMO be on original....ATB steve

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I have loads of cd`s and also access to the world wide web plus a few vinyl, so for me i would like to think that there is not many tunes ive not heard, if i dont want to listen to all the overplayed tunes would i actually bother going out as there isnt one paricular track i listen to indoors, i dont drown myself in oldies as im always seaching for the ones ive not heard of so if i did go out and oldies were played it wouldnt bother me but what about going somewhere and all the rare tunes on vinyl get played would that them make them overplayed to me as they are the ones im listening to know. hmmmmmmmmmm :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Vespa or Baja?

and why?

as a former scooter owner .....

Vespa

italian lammy always

and why? aunthenticity easy as that , it's a thread that runs through my life , clothes (even my glasses are original 1960's police issue frames) , scooters , vinyl .

i have a new car but then cars hold no interest to me at all

Social source share

oh Mischief what a subject to hit on,

yet again its about affordability,

some have money galore to chuck at them others like myself have bitsers,

its easy to go out and buy the best but its better to build your own

spanish s2 for me next i hope with side car and ts1.

some i know for them it has to be italian and original

whats your flavour ?

me i'm happy with p-ranges these days..

all money goes else where :thumbsup:

To none scooterist on here...

If you buy an Indian Lammby - Italian lambretta owners will slate you ..its a no no ..

if you buy a baja (indian vespa thing) - all scooter owners will look down on you...

see and the only thing vinyl about them is the seat... so its not just records

Edited by mischief
Social source share

HI Pete ,are you stating that people are not listening just hearing?If the point you are making , is about the "usual" tunes I take your point...BORING TO LISTEN TO..well it is to me.

I'm not so sure about the security that most seem to hold about tried and tested " I can dance to this" ' cos I have done so for the last 30+ years...

The excitement must be in the unknown tune?That will IMO be on original....ATB steve

Steve - reason I used to got to Wigan every week for almost 4 years solid is because I could hear tracks that I couldn't hear at my youth club disco or local soul night. But that was over 25 years ago and I am not interested enough to drive 80 miles to a venue to hear a new rare track. The people like yourself who are still into it enough to travel to hear newies are a very small percentage of the scene nowadays. That's not a good thing by the way, it's just what I see as being a fact of life. So the perfect playlist as far as I'm concerned (thats if DJ-ing) is oldies mixed with rarer oldies and one or two new ones to try out, otherwise, you lose the floor. As a punter I'd probably want to hear maybe 10% oldies, 60% lesser known/played oldies and 30% newies.

Social source share

Didn't know you could play vespas and Lammys at soul nights as well :thumbsup:

Steve - reason I used to got to Wigan every week for almost 4 years solid is because I could hear tracks that I couldn't hear at my youth club disco or local soul night. But that was over 25 years ago and I am not interested enough to drive 80 miles to a venue to hear a new rare track. The people like yourself who are still into it enough to travel to hear newies are a very small percentage of the scene nowadays. That's not a good thing by the way, it's just what I see as being a fact of life. So the perfect playlist as far as I'm concerned (thats if DJ-ing) is oldies mixed with rarer oldies and one or two new ones to try out, otherwise, you lose the floor. As a punter I'd probably want to hear maybe 10% oldies, 60% lesser known/played oldies and 30% newies.

Blimey Pete you would be lucky if any one had 30% 'newies' in there box :D

Social source share

Hi Pete ,thanks for the reply to my response to yours :thumbsup:

Its ,very rare that I travel to venues to hear what is played at said venue.The best way of hearing tunes that are fresh IMO is from like minded individuals who seek out the lesser known......then play them to each other.Must have happened in the past.......

Oh, you are not a punter are you........a very clued up guy..who has to make a living ..and yet has a passion....especially about the greed some dealers have...ATB Steve :D

Social source share

Hi steve ..as I have said before..I like to hear the newies ,I also like to hear the classics,classics to dance too, and the newies to listen too,from what your saying ,because I like to dance to the old classics ,it must mean I am some lower form of soulie...not true ( at least I dont think so )

Bazza

what's up with dancing to the newies as well?

Social source share

Didn't know you could play vespas and Lammys at soul nights as well :D

Baz I was making apoint to the scooter owners that are in this debate.. :D

most scooterist wouldn't buy a scooter unless it was original..

I know of a couple of big custom scoots that are indian lambrettas with private plates on and rebuilt as italian... thats the same as sticking a photocopied label on a boot.. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert