What's Your Favourite Funk 45

Godzilla

Guest Johnny One Trout

One of the greatest. Inspired Moog synth mental asylum of a track. Fred Wesley & JB's - Blow Your Head.

Brilliant one of my all time favourite albums ever

Social source share

Some nice picks so far on this thread! Chuck Carbo is one of my favs. Some obscure ones too --- I'm surprised to see a mention of Carlos Malcolm. Here are a few of my top 45s:

First, Lou Courtney, "Hot Butter 'n All". Just totally, totally insane. This was just mind-boggling the first time I heard it. The flip is an instro version, and there's also a different version by Donald Height on the same label.

Second, one of my favourite instros, The Soul Swingers, "Ca'-Ba'-Dab". After years, I finally scored a copy a few weeks ago for only $125!!! (Found a BIN from a seller in Memphis who thought it was a Memphis 45.)

Finally, one of my top sister funk 45s: Dorothy, Oma, and Zelpha, "Gonna Put it on Your Mind". Surprising sound for a Motown label!

Great call Ephraim - that Lou Courtney 45 is a regular spin for me. And boy you got dead lucky with Soul Swingers - congrats!

Got to say these sort of tunes do it for me a lot more than the "funky Wigan" type tunes that some seem to prefer. Personal choice and all that though, I guess, so whatever floats your boat guys :thumbsup:

Ephraim, I agree with Godzilla! The Soul Swingers 45 is one of my all time wants.

BTW, I forgot to mention this awesome Hammond instro:

Larry Ellis & The Black Hammer-Funky Thing (Al King)

And one of the best sister funk 45 ever made IMO:

Honey & The Bees-Love Addict (Arctic)

And feel free to have a listen to my YT channel as I regularly upload my funk treasures!  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A deep funk fave of mine. Love the kitchen sink production, the hammond featuring loud and proud  and the bit where the bass player forgets which notes to play and just thrashes it :thumbsup:

Alas had to recycle my copy some time ago to buy more soul tunes....wish I'd kept it :(

Reggie Saddler Revue - Raggedy Bag

Social source share

Thanks for the posts - especially to those who took the time to write a line or two about why particular 45s do the business for them - and to those who chose to include less mainstream choices. However, I didn't really want the thread to be about people just posting links to well known funk 45 without comment (in fairness, maybe I misjudged how progressive/varied people have become in their tastes).

Cheers everyone but it feels like time to lock the thread :wink:

Social source share