Favourite Lable From An Artistic Point Of View ?

Guest Bogue

I put this reply on "Brett's" vinyl collectors thread, thought it might make an interesting thread on it's own ?

(& please no wags put Brunswick & Okeh :thumbsup: )

Know where you are coming from Brett :wicked: Well sort of :yes::yes:

Does anyone, like me, find that the lables appeal from an artistic point of view, as well as the music contained within the vinyl ?

I think the Okeh demo's with the flesh coloured A are the most quintisential 60's Northern lable but some of the others are great too. Got a "Tuff" demo due to come in the post, absolutly beautiful if you have never seen one !

Added a pic, aint she beautiful eh ? Great tune that too :yes:

This post has been edited by Gabriel: Today, 12:35 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)

Tuff_demo.jpg(post-5566-1157585628.jpg

What's your favourite ?

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Mhh

Soul label IMHO aren't really nice-looking, but one of the bests I've seen is one that has a Fox with a hat or something like that, I can't remember the name :tumbleweed3:

I like more reggae labels like Punch, Gas, Camel etc...

Cheers

Dante

Social source share

Mhh

Soul label IMHO aren't really nice-looking, but one of the bests I've seen is one that has a Fox with a hat or something like that, I can't remember the name
:tumbleweed3:

Is it Huff Puff records Dante? As in The Producers "Love Is Amazing"/"Lady, Lady, Lady" Find this label most attractive myself.

Its obviously a wolf not a fox tho'!
:thumbsup:

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Mhh

Soul label IMHO aren't really nice-looking, but one of the bests I've seen is one that has a Fox with a hat or something like that, I can't remember the name :unsure:

I like more reggae labels like Punch, Gas, Camel etc...

Cheers

Dante

I reckon that's the mgm demo, which I think looks great, there is a wolfie one too, see attachments, also looks good. :tumbleweed3:

mgm.jpg(post-1408-1157698386_thumb.jpg

wolfie.jpg(post-1408-1157698401_thumb.jp

Social source share

Here a few i've always liked, look good spinning round too

girls_s895.jpg(post-3008-1157700276_thumval891.jpg(post-3008-1157700315_thumb.jptony_h892.jpg(post-3008-1157700359_thumbsmith890.jpg(post-3008-1157700406_thumb.flaming893.jpg(post-3008-1157700519_thum

The Bridge record lable is a work of art Dave, nice landscape :thumbsup:

Another one here, not a Northern record, but can remember the B side " Heaven's In The Back Seat Of My Cadillac" from the youth club days.

What do you think ?

I've gone & bought it just for the label ! Now that is getting sad :D

41_1_b.jpg(post-5566-1157964486_thumb.jp

Social source share

:thumbsup: The old yellow Kama Sutra was always a nice one too.

& talking of the London sub lables, i missed this one last night, tried to get it too cheap & someone from Belgium beat me :angry: Never seen it on a Parrot demo before.

Flirtations.jpg(post-5566-1157988627_thu

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Anything white with a big red A on it, especially Okeh :thumbsup:

As for the more colourful ones, how about these two.....

Miller.jpg(post-1832-1157990879_thumb.jp

Williams.jpg(post-1832-1157990890_thumb.

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

What a class tune ,should have been massive :thumbsup:

Indeed, and somehow managed to escape the bootleggers too which at the time was a rare occurance. I used to play it a lot at Bradford etc. early 80's but maybe not rare enough for the chin strokers.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Always loved the Tayster / Rojac label designs, Jack Taylor's set up out of New York . Don't have scans , can someone post up some of their designs? Cheers! :rolleyes:

Can't find a Tayster scan but i know what you mean :yes: . Sure i've got a record on the label somewhere, but i can't remember what it is. Not "Lillie Bryant" i know that for sure :D If only

Here's the Rojac demo & issue, another nice choice :yes:

BigMaybelle_CantWaitAnyLonger_WD.jpg(pos

BigMaybelle_QuittinTime_issue.jpg(post-5

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

For anyone who likes to collect label scans for poster art or whatever, don't forget Ebay is a good source. Even if you can't afford them you can always have a picture of them. :rolleyes:

Another good use for label scans is to have your favourite printed up as a Slipmat, there are a couple of companies out there who do it relatively cheaply.

I had a scan of "Charles Sheffield- It's Your Voodoo Working" made into a pair of Slipmats last year. The only trouble with using a US label though, is the lack of center. In this instance i added an infill picture (see pic) but you would be better off perhaps using a UK issue.

Smat__20__.JPG(post-5566-1158076274_thum

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert