Northern Soul - Accept Nothing Else

Epic

After reading & joining in with many topics on this site have come to the conclusion that in the main people only like & listen to Northern Soul .

It seems that anything that doesn't have a northern "bent" is heavily criticised & dismissed.

Do people only listen with a "Northern" ear?

Personally I listen to a tune & then decide if I like it or not - the fact that it may not be acceptable at an All-Niter at 4:30 am does not enter into my equation.

No doubt I will be accused of having a "Souliier than thou" attitude (again) but dates & labels mean nothing to me - it's what comes out of those grooves that count.

Is it Northern or nothing?

Edited by epic
Social source share

• Replies 51
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Andy BB

That's the opposite of a soulier-than-thou attitude.

Good on you. If it's soulful and you like it, then you like it. Simple as that.

Congratulations, you are definitely not 'in with The Chin Crowd'.

Social source share

dates & labels mean nothing to me - it's what comes out of those grooves that count.

Here here.. although the grooves that attract the attention of my timpanic membrane usually are of a 60's release date :rolleyes:

Social source share

After reading & joining in with many topics on this site have come to the conclusion that in the main people only like & listen to Northern Soul .

It seems that anything that doesn't have a northern "bent" is heavily criticised & dismissed.

Personally I listen to a tune & then decide if I like it or not - the fact that it may not be acceptable at an All-Niter at 4:30 am does not enter into my equation.

No doubt I will be accused of having a "Souliier than thou" attitude (again) but dates & labels mean nothing to me - it's what comes out of those grooves that count.

Good on ya :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I wont be bringing my New Model Army or Dinasaur Jr stuff to be played at the next soul do I go to.

Is this the Jam thread that got your goat?

Social source share

Andy first you have to define northern :rolleyes:

I love all types of stuff that gets played on the scene. In fact I have been criticised for pushing the boundaries 'too much'. Disco, Blues, Doo Wop, Rock and Roll and (god help us all) Country tunes have been played under the guise of Northern or more likely rare soul (some by me) :sleep3:

Maybe for some it's all about tempo but not me and I know I'm not alone. :rolleyes:

Social source share

I wont be bringing my New Model Army or Dinasaur Jr stuff to be played at the next soul do I go to.

Not at all - you have hit on the point of this thread - If The Jam "floats your boat" then that is fine - or are The Jam acceptable only because of that "pseudo Northern" sound they created in some of their records.

Social source share

oh freak scene is brilliant perhaps a good acronoymn for northern soul,prefer sonic youth myself particulary sister,theres a question what is sonic youths contribution to the northern scene?

BAZ A.

Social source share

oh freak scene is brilliant perhaps a good acronoymn for northern soul,prefer sonic youth myself particulary sister,theres a question what is sonic youths contribution to the northern scene?

BAZ A.

Dunno about a contribution to the soul scene, but they brought Babes in toyland over here first and for that i will be eternally grateful.

ROCK ON!

Social source share

Andy first you have to define northern :lol:

I love all types of stuff that gets played on the scene. In fact I have been criticised for pushing the boundaries 'too much'. Disco, Blues, Doo Wop, Rock and Roll and (god help us all) Country tunes have been played under the guise of Northern or more likely rare soul (some by me) :lol:

Maybe for some it's all about tempo but not me and I know I'm not alone. :rolleyes:

Traditional on the fours, sixties records - you know the ones - usually on compilation cds called "This Is Northern Soul" :rolleyes::sleep3:

Social source share

Traditional on the fours, sixties records - you know the ones - usually on compilation cds called "This Is Northern Soul" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think it has to be that particular 'type' of soul for many of the people on this site. Just the oldies brigade :sleep3:

Just check out the reactions the Freddie North clip Pete posted.

It's a sixties record but it ain't northern in the way you mean at least. It is rare soul though and for me at least it has a place at a soul event maybe only as an ender but it is soul of the highest order IMO. I wouldn't dream of playing some of my records at a soul event of course but that doesnt stop me listening to them at home or in the car.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...ic=33893&hl=

Social source share

I don't recognise the term "northern soul", never have.

It's all soul to me and that's what I like. All tempos, all decades, all styles and all formats.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Social source share

Although I listen to mostly soul and most of that "northern" I also listen to lots of other stuff, I even declare a "non soul day" now and again and listen to loads of other stuff, "Dave Shap" "Boy on a Dolphin" (or as shane calls them Kid On A Squid) Jam. Stranglers,, just what ever fits the mood really.

I will now submit myself to the Soul Police for a public flogging ...................please

QoFxx

Social source share

It's all soul to me and that's what I like. All tempos, all decades, all styles and all formats.

:rolleyes::sleep3:

Pretty much agree with that, sound attitude to have :lol:

Maybe give soulful house a miss though :rolleyes:

Social source share

Just to move on - Certain records are always knocked on this site by some people- ie Voices of East Harlem, Carstairs, Larry Houston, Mel Britt etc.

Is this because people view them as records that don't fit into their concept of what should be played at a Northern event? Or do they genuinely think they are just bad records?

Social source share

i personaly think this is a poor post as you have not read every post on here and there are a lot of us who dont just like northern soul, i feel insulted by your assumptions.

if you bothered to check all the forums you would find a lot of us are open minded to the music we love, of course there are some who are a closed book to anything other than northern, but there are people like this in every walk of life.

mark

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(mark.b @ Sep 8 2006, 07:44 PM) link

i personaly think this is a poor post as you have not read every post on here and there are a lot of us who dont just like northern soul, i feel insulted by your assumptions.

if you bothered to check all the forums you would find a lot of us are open minded to the music we love, of course there are some who are a closed book to anything other than northern, but there are people like this in every walk of life.

mark

The topic heading is a question - for people to answer. I don't profess to know what any one else likes - hence the question.

Social source share

mark

The topic heading is a question - for people to answer. I don't profess to know what any one else likes - hence the question.

well it did'nt read like a question to me that was why i answered the way i did. i am of the opinion of if i like it i dont care whether it is northern or not. i like 60's 70's some 80's but do not like more upto date stuff not that i think it is crap just cant get my head round it, obviously there will be the odd one but these tend to be something that is retro sounding. mark
Social source share

mark

* people generally worry to much I think. there will both be place for good oldies events as well as more open minded clubs even if they might be smaller venues. plenty good years to come as well. on this site plenty of open minded people. maybe time to at least have another word as compliment to term northern soul. seems to plenty of people to only refer to the oldies scene or am I wrong about that

Social source share

cool.gif -->

mark

This IS a joke, right? :lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

:lol::lol:

I couldnt disagree more my friend.

To me Northern soul IS IT

As I said before, if it was just Soul, it would be that stuff we all dismiss with a cock o sneek, but tip our titfer to.

Something separates The Voices Of East Harlem from the INCREDIBLE Sam Cooke. What it is, I cant put into words, but northern Soul and the two seperate words Soul and Northern are so different, but so similar only a more learned person than I could eloquate.

Like Gert Mark, I can see the soul in a Jay Mascis (sp?) phrase or a Justin Sullivan verse, more so than a studio

*mike's flat mate*

Marilyn Manson kicks NS ass... discuss!!

Social source share

What about Elvis didnt he do some soulful tunes :P

everyone has a favourite Elvis tune :lol:

I do :lol: Loads actually :P His early Sun stuff was brilliantly simple but I must confess, his hammy stuff during the 60's film fest was great :P

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

thanks for that Tone (memo to self, lock computer when going for a gypsys)

As I was saying. More soul in Sullivan, than a Van MCCoy type pressed button.

Compare and contrast.

Dance Boogie Wonderland

Ha Ha

Dance

Boogie Wonderland

OR

The time I think most clearly, the time I drift away

is on the bus ride that meanders, through these valleys of the green and the grey

I get to think about what might have been, and what may yet come true

And I get to pass a rainy mile, thinking of you.

What about Elvis didnt he do some soulful tunes :lol:

everyone has a favourite Elvis tune :lol:

I just cant help believing,

as she puts her hand in my hand

And it feels so small and helpless

And my fingers fold around it

Like a glove

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

A lot of us likes other kind of music, but this is a soul forum :lol:

FOr example, non-black music I like: indie, punk, post punk, britpop, new wave, meican indie...

Social source share

thanks for that Tone (memo to self, lock computer when going for a gypsys)

As I was saying. More soul in Sullivan, than a Van MCCoy type pressed button.

Compare and contrast.

Dance Boogie Wonderland

Ha Ha

Dance

Boogie Wonderland

OR

The time I think most clearly, the time I drift away

is on the bus ride that meanders, through these valleys of the green and the grey

I get to think about what might have been, and what may yet come true

And I get to pass a rainy mile, thinking of you.

I just cant help believing,

as she puts her hand in my hand

And it feels so small and helpless

And my fingers fold around it

Like a glove

Mikey, to keep your illusions in place, I hope for your own sake you never hear the dance remix of Vengeance...

Social source share

I personally not bothered what anyone else thinks, if it floats my boat, whatever the style, year or tempo then thats all that bothers me :P

That's the spirit! I wish everyone else thought the same :lol: I still don't fancy punk mind :lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Mikey, to keep your illusions in place, I hope for your own sake you never hear the dance remix of Vengeance...

I 100% hope I never hear the dance remix of Vengance..

I believe in Justice

I believe in Vengance

I believe in no ###ing dance mix

no f###ing dance mix

EVER!

Social source share

I 100% hope I never hear the dance remix of Vengance..

I believe in Justice

I believe in Vengance

I believe in no ###ing dance mix

no f###ing dance mix

EVER!

What are you trying to say Mikey :lol:

Social source share

That's the spirit! I wish everyone else thought the same :P I still don't fancy punk mind :lol:

The Clash is IMO the best 70s band, just above of Joy Division!

I like original punk, street punk, post punk Oi!, actual punk (not happy punk or emo)...

:lol:

Dante

Social source share

A lot of us likes other kind of music, but this is a soul forum :lol:

FOr example, non-black music I like: indie, punk, post punk, britpop, new wave, meican indie...

Muchos respect to you Dante :lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

There is one, honest - shocking...came out about 8 years back on a charity cd

For the Deaf Society?

OFF TOPIC

Best bit of Jukebox Jury

Talking about Sidney Youngblood - If only I could

Comedian said "he made that video so deaf people could hate it too"

Social source share

If I read this forum correctly the majoriy are into northern. To be upset that you like something that's perhaps in a minority fanbase... what can I say?

Since being on here for around 7-8 (pre ban) years the main plug has been northern, or have I been selective with my reading?

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I personally not bothered what anyone else thinks, if it floats my boat, whatever the style, year or tempo then thats all that bothers me :D

blush.gif Wise Words :D

Social source share

I like all sorts of Music .. Led Zep..Punk..the Stranglers could very soulfull "golden brown" for instance ,Latin ,Salsa when Northern Soul turned pop in the late 70's I turned to Funk, Bootsy Collins and George Clinton could do no wrong back then,would'nt expect to hear em at a Doo tho'

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

QUOTE(chalky @ Sep 8 2006, 10:21 PM)

I personally not bothered what anyone else thinks, if it floats my boat, whatever the style, year or tempo then thats all that bothers me

Wise Words

Toatlly agree.

I personaly like other members on here, love all kinds of black music

as long ,as I have said for years .. "it fits my very narrow criteria."

Its just that I choose to keep a lot of my opinions to my self.It seems though from these type of Forums that the majority of antagonsitic comments come from the members who want people to know what they dont like. Pete Smith for instance has been on this forum and older forums for as long as I have been members so mid late 90ts and has always had a pop at "Modern soul records".Because in his version of Northern soul its 99% sixties and thats fine I have no problem with it .I know what my version of Northern and its not the same as a lot of people on here.

Im just gratefull that there are venues such as The Orwell and my personal music heaven weekender Soul Essence where I can hear great records no snobbery about eras style.

To close though like a few others on here I have superb taste in music and know whats better than most people.

I just choose not to broadcast it

Adam

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Dance Boogie Wonderland

Ha Ha

Dance

Boogie Wonderland

Chooon! :thumbsup:

On the decks right now.......

Can't be serious soul all the time surely? Sometimes we like fun sounds, sometimes we like reflection, depends on the mood... :shades:

I also think we're talking about two different things here, what we like and what we expect to hear played at a venue. I love all soul music, and most other types, but if i go to a venue advertising Northern Soul or Rare Soul that's what i expect to hear. I don't expect Elvis.

Burning Love is my favourite btw... :elvis:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!