J Manship Auction Results 29/11/2017

Bo Diddley

Gene Woodbury - Ever Again / That's Not Half Bad - Del-Val 1005

Gene Woodbury

Ever Again / That's Not Half Bad

Del-Val : 1005 (45s)

MINT! 

The most perfect copy I've ever witnessed this century of this most divisive of Northern Soul 45's, everybody adores the song so much; it triggers ritual dancefloor hand-claps when ever it's played; claps timed to perfection, it's a lump in the throat experience watching or participating in Northern Soul unity that this "Ever Again".

Divisive ? Only because the scene is split trying to decide which version is better, which version is the one to own. Bernie Williams on Bell or Gene Woodbury on Del-Val.

Ever since Colin Curtis circa 1973, first played this irresistible song by Bernie Williams, the chase was on to own a copy. But the extreme rarity, validated throughout the years pushed the Bernie Williams demand and value to the outer limits of most collector's budgets. What a relief when, in the late 70s another version surfaced in small quantities. On it's "mother" label Joe Stevenson's local Del-Val, the label that licensed the Bernie Williams to Bell in the first place..

So the debate begins and seems to be a 50% 50% split on which version is the best, which one is the best to own? 

My opinion is Bernie Williams is infinitely rarer the Gene Woodbury but is a styrene press, Gene Woodbury was scarce but is now much rarer as nobody seems to want to sell a copy they may own.

The scenario at the moment is Gene Woodbury's value has rocketed 5 fold in recent times, with no sign of it slowing down. Bernie Williams value currently simmering over £4k, it is still beyond most collectors budgets. If your a NS DJ "Ever Again" is a crucial 45 to own. 

Here is Gene Woodbury which 50% of the scene think is the best version, pressed in vinyl in te most perfect condition you could dream of owning..

Investment condition and I have a feeling the values between "Bernie" and "Gene" will one day maybe nearly reflect each other..

Condition Report

Not a Manship Mint, as I can't image it's never been played before it landed on my desk - but it is the most perfect copy you will ever see.

•  £1,211.00

Sorry, this auction has ended.

•  29/11/2017 18:12

Brenda Holloway - Don't Turn Your Back On Me / blank - Motown CRMN 1030 NH1

Brenda Holloway

Don't Turn Your Back On Me / blank:

Motown acetate: CRMN 1030 NH1 (LPs)

Prepare yourself for goose-pimples, shivers down your spine, This is MOTOWN at it's most inspiring!

You're about to be blown away by a 19 year hopeful from California, here is Brenda Holloway at her spectacular best, giving up breathtaking Motown Northern Soul with a dose orgasmic girl group assistance.

"Don't Turn Your Back On Me" was of course never issued - just this 1965 studio cut, Motown acetate cut CRMN 1030 NH1

First recorded Tuesday 27th. finish off Thursday 29th. April 1965.. it is a Motown masterpiece they took two days, to get to finally cutting this 10". But the committee were not satisfied.. (see label notes below) written on the label, most likely at the weekly board review of new product.. which they rejected, you may find that amazing, I certainly do, as for me this is one of the greatest Motown girl recordings ever! 

But we have to remember this session was just over a month after Motown gave "Brenda" Mary Wells's "When I'm Gone" to record and it was now doing well on the charts. Mary leaving for unfulfilled promises of even greater stardom, left a big hole in Motown's sales and a place to fill in girl roster. Brenda's next record needed to sound more like their former moneymaker, Mary Wells. So the release decision was to go with "Operator" ...which was very Wells-esque.

Leaving this pure-treasure to sit in the vaults...

Condition Report

10" acetate clean playing surface that gives up the clarity you'd expect from a direct-cut. Some light surface blemishes none of which affect play. This is a studio acetate that somehow escaped the glaring instruction to "recoat" the surface. 10" acetates in 1965 were no cheap and the most economical solution was recoat the acetate after it had served it's review process. The label beside the 3 recoat demands, is littered with aranger notes e.g. "less echo on lead voice" "remaster needed" I know of no remaster ever recorded, and to my untrained ear it sounds utterly FANTASTIC

•  £531.00

•  29/11/2017 18:10

Charles Sheffield - It's Your Voodoo Working / Rock N Roll Train - Excello

Charles Sheffield

It's Your Voodoo Working / Rock N Roll Train

Excello: 2200 (45s)

In a world of the "Soul Police" quite rightly insisting Northern Soul DJ arrives for his set without a single repro/bootleg or counterfeit in his DJ box. To own an authentic record of the calibre of Charles Sheffield is crucial, if you'd like to become an accepted Northern Soul DJ, who likes to fill the "floor".

It's not snobbery, but it is one tool available to promoters to lessen the attractiveness of this ubiquitous trade of making and playing Northern Soul bootlegs and taking the DJ set of someone who has carefully accumulated his Northern Soul 45s as originals through love and passion for the music.

This copy of Charles Sheffield floor-crammer, as you can see has h2o damaged labels, but that authentic "Sheldon" stamped is sitting proud in the deadwax, and the sound is a strong, loud and clean. So the DJ may overlook the label flaws, whilst a serious OCD collector may not..

This is not a record that turns up often with clean vinyl to DJ clarity standard..checkout the purity of the double soundfile lifted directly of this disc..

Up to now, there is not a squad of "clean label" Police patrolling the Northern Soul outposts of the United Kingdon.. but there are some who dislike dancing to low-fi records bootlegged from CD's or from You tube sound clips; and there are many, many people decidedly unhappy at DJ's getting bookings and playing bootlegs... whilst collectors and DJ's with original authentic vinyl are sitting on the subs-bench.

Read condition report carefully.

Condition Report

Vinyl has a few mild surface marks on the FLIPSIDE vinyl, whilst the A-SIDE has only minuscule sleeve storage blemishes but a very edge of the vinyl is a small wrinkle/curl NOT affecting play or grooves. Both labels have water discolouration and a little flake, inspect both scans carefully as a non-professional repair had been administered, before it came into our possession.

•  £672.00

•  29/11/2017 18:08

Mixed Sugar - It's A Bad Feeling / Fifteen Ain't Young No More - F. G. S.

Mixed Sugar

It's A Bad Feeling / Fifteen Ain't Young No More

F. G. S. : 423 (45s)

Even with the help of a little local distribution muscle from M.S.K. of Dearborn, Detroit. This 1974 Michigan D.I.Y. project experienced a cool sales reaction. 

Perhaps the Michigan public were not ready for a superior slab of pre-disco era Crossover Northern Soul. It is vocally unusual, with the lead carrying a "Roshell Anderson" style twist in his vocal and the shrill girl-group chorus just never lets up. Then there's the peppering by insistent trumpets which brings the whole session together with a blend of Soul and Jazz that works brilliantly. 

I adore the male lead voice and I've always been a sucker for eager girl choruses (these ladies scalpel the session) with piercing regularity. The trumpets are perfectly timed to elevate and that rattling percussion drives everything forward...a super dancer!

When it comes to that before Disco, after Motown time in Michigan music there have been some real gems cultivated there, this one crafted by the busy Regional Garland is a high-calibre example of local artist brilliance.

Just too good to pass by...

Condition Report

Flawless labels, hardly a blemish on the play surface sounds and looks mint minus vinyl. Nothing to report other than near perfection.

•  £231.00

•  29/11/2017 18:02

Delcos - Arabia ( S-402 mix )  - Showcase 250

Delcos

Arabia ( S-402 mix ) / Those Three Little Words

Showcase: 250 (45s)

ARABIA different and superior mix to the USA EBONY release check it out!"

The trend for owning the real deal Northern Soul classics in their least seen formats, in the finest possible condition, has never been stronger. As more and more collectors join the battlefield of known worldwide as "Collecting Northern Soul" 

Juanita Henson's 1963 vocal group explosion, made release over the border to Canada but sold nothing, which the absence of label scans on the worldwide web confirms.

Not only are the labels seductive, the vinyl is that wonderful RCA style, high fidelity, crystal clear sound.

If you have a penchant for owning the rarest most attractive format, this listing offers all those things and more..

Condition Report

Two attractive labels are flawless, both sides of the vinyl are unblemished. This is as clean a copy as you're ever likely to come across. there is a light dimple in the vinyl (which we think is a master-plate characteristic) NOT affecting play, as you can hear fidelity could not be clearer.

•  £161.00

•  29/11/2017 18:00

Thelma Houston - Baby Mine - Capitol 5767

Thelma Houston

Baby Mine / The Woman Behind Her Man

Capitol : 5767 (45s)

Manship's Mints for Christmas

Mint Unplayed - Perfect Vinyl

Perfect Labels

Condition Report

Manship's Mints for Christmas - Mint Unplayed - Perfect Vinyl - Perfect Labels

•  £310.00

Taste - Got To Get Better - Taste 8401

Taste

Got To Get Better / same: instrumental

Taste: 8401 (45s)

Catch this rare Ohio 80's indie dancer, on the up!

A little birdie told us an enthusiastic Soul Sam has recently added this to his DJ set, so anything can happen from now on in. 

A short slow intro, lifts into a feelgood vocal group D.I.Y. dancer, of the highest order. 
A strong jazz slanted male lead vocal is joined by a silky girl-group chorus, whist a piano sends out a dance-rhythm that builds throughout this spirited session constructing a super dance tune you would think came from a major label studio, such is the quality of the production. With an ingenious end to the session with that impressive lead vocal finishing of with a wonderful display, with a magical moment of "scat", his vocal emitting "Jazz nonsense" so exquisitely. The song elevates yet again, for one last time, as the girl group and the lead voice melt into each others space.. as the back-beat and the piano softly plays it all out..

A fantastic tune which we're sure Soul Sam will make into a big one... as he always does when he owns a disc of real quality.

Condition Report

Mint! a perfect copy every way.

•  £178.00

Dell-Larks - Out Of The "In" Crowd - Jet 101 DJ

Dell-Larks

Out Of The "In" Crowd / Thud

Jet: 101 DJ (45s)

Unicorn Rare!

Northern Soul most prolific arranger crosses the Hudson to guide Northern Soul's most-legendary vocal-group through a colossal production showcasing a group so comfortable with themselves.

Listen to those breathtaking inter-changes, the rolling highs and lows of the alternate voices; the perfectness of their deliver. This is vocal-group Northern Soul at it's most impressive even though it takes a couple of plays for it to click in your head exactly what this unique gathering created.

Calello's penchant for the "showy" production exceeds even his exquisite skills at musical elevation he displayed on each and every Four Seasons recording it was at the helm of; this time instead of guiding blue-eyed Jersey Boys he mentors real-deal Soul Men through a record that the Four Seasons would have loved to perform, but would never have matched the richness of the opening vocal... that immediately grabs your attention.

Big full orchestra and the cooing backers lay a carpet of sound for the boys to stroll through; then the falsetto takes his turn after the baritone takes pause, the silky plea "Won't You Please Let Me In, I Wanna Be "In" I tired of being "out"... ooh Baby" is truly delicious. The zipping string, the fanfare of trumpets, thundering kettle drums "Calello" has it all going on and the "Dell-Larks" totally immerse themselves in this prodigious production...

I LOVE IT!!! I also love it's challenging ownership status of only a very few copies known to exist.

Condition Report

Nice gloss, some light hairlines

•  £861.00

Contours - Funny / The Stretch - Motown 1012

Contours

Funny / The Stretch

Motown: 1012 (45s)

One of Motown's My love for Motown goes back to when I was a school every Youth Club and Coffee bar in the late 60's reverberated to the sounds of The Motor City. When I left school my collecting direction was focused at first on the Motown Sound before stretching my wings into other Soul sounds..

Motown was ingrained in my psyche I've purchased every single interesting piece of Motown vinyl we have ever hit upon, and for many decades we have prided ourselves in our unrivaled array of Motown collectibles, it has now been fully 50 years my passion for Motown has culminated in a huge stock of Motown and it's related productions..

In those 50 years I have never witnessed a Mint minus copy of Motown 1012 - today I've sitting here rather satisfied to be able to offer you an astonishing copy with two flawless labels and playing surfaces thast only reveal the merest of sleeve contact blemishes from decades of sitting in a cherished collection..

But this "Rarest Of The Rare" Motown is so much more than just the highly coveted #1012 "Funny" is a beautifully constructed Detroit vocal-group-harmony ballad of the highest order.

But when you flip it over, we move into seriously rare Northern Soul R&B territory. "The Stretch" is a typically determined Contours session, with those lively vocal ricocheting off each like a madman with a M2 Browning. No Motown group ever injected so much energy into there recording and still kept a seamless flow to their harmony.. "The Stretch" is one cool R&B dancer, and we doubt any Northern Soul Jock owns a flawless copy.. 

This listing has so much going for it. Serious Rarity, astonishing condition, beautiful harmony ballad fronting an outrageously slab of Detroit Northern Soul R&B.

Condition Report

As above, I've never witnessed this seriously rare 45 in this high state of condition ever before! This is an investment piece.

•  £231.00

Jo Ann Garrett - A Whole New Plan / Stay By My Side - Chess

Jo Ann Garrett

A Whole New Plan / Stay By My Side

Chess : 1959 (45s)

Perfect Labels

Condition Report

•  £137.00

Pearlean Gray and the Passengers - I Don't Want To Cry - Green-Sea PROMO

Pearlean Gray and the Passengers

I Don't Want To Cry / The Love Of My Man

Green-Sea: 104 DJ (45s)

Perfect Labels

Condition Report

•  £181.00

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

Listen 

Greater Experience

Don't Forget To Remember / Carol's Carol

Colony 13: 2572 (45s)

Perfect Labels

Condition Report

·          £713.00

Number Plate

K5 5OUL / Cherished Numberplate

NUMBER PLATE: K5 5OUL (Book)

All I Want For Christmas is a SOUL number plate for my wheels...

Here's a really K5 SOUL (K5 5OUL)

Condition Report

All registration documents ready to go, well in time to go under the Christmas Tree

·          £353.00

Listen 

Innersection

Let Me Love Yuh / I'm In Debt To You

Group 5 : GFR 101 DJ (45s)

Arguably the finest double-sider ever to emerge from Memphis during the 70s.

"Let Me Love Yuh" stands today as a timeless Northern Soul classic, to the level of receiving "sing a long" praise from the dancers as those addictive lyrics ring out from this tightly infused outfit...

Today like many others, I much prefer the flipside. A testimony to the writer A. G. Robertson to be able to write not one but two fantastic top-drawer dancers with such compelling lyrics, which Stax producer Tom Nixon knits into two dancefloor enslaving productions of the sheer quality..

If you click the double sound-file...I know, no more wordy ramblings are required from me to draw you towards the bid button.. 

Condition Report

This a-side has flawless vinyl, so close to a Manship Mint -. The reason it didn't get listed under that exclusive banner is the flipside vinyl reveals very mild turntable-mat rub, NOT affecting play. Both lsabeks as you can see are perfection.

·          £661.00

Gladys Knight & The Pips

Stop And Get Hold Of Myself / Who Knows

Maxx : 334 (45s)

Perfect Labels

Condition Report

·          £126.00

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Stubbsy said:

F'ing Hell! £1,200+ for Gene Woodbury. Says in the description "value has rocketed 5 fold in recent times, with no sign of it slowing down"

That must be true then based on what I sold my M- copy for not all that long ago :huh:

:lol:  John auctioned a copy of Gene Woodbury this August (2017) and got £1,434! It looks like "the value" is on the way down !!

Social source share

The mind boggles, yet again...

utterly ridiculous prices on Greater experience and Gene Woodbury,  you can get GE for 400-500 all over the place over the last few years... GW is 350/400 tops in my opinion, copies were 250/300 3 to 4 years back..,, 

northern hole madness!  

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!