• Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Dance Your Way Out Of The Door - sharon dee clarke - unknown

12579 refosoul

A very nice effort from Miss Drewery there.

I wonder if the track I've put up here has the same producer ?

I'll stick with Dusty Springfields cover of the 'Am I The Same Girl' and although I'm no big Dusty fan she I think she does it really well.

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Dance Your Way Out Of The Door - sharon dee clarke - unknown

12579 refosoul

A very nice effort from Miss Drewery there.

I wonder if the track I've put up here has the same producer ?

I'll stick with Dusty Springfields cover of the 'Am I The Same Girl' and although I'm no big Dusty fan she I think she does it really well.

Like the track you put up, prefer a smoother, less gritty female voice meself, hence Ms Drewery, but Sharon Dee Clarke beats Amy Winehouse! :thumbsup:

Social source share

finest vocalist in the last 40 years in the Uk is the bird from Swing out Sister! ave a word wiv yaself guvna!

Caron Wheeler, Carleen Anderson, Jhelisa Anderson, Joanna Law, Alison Limerick,

Maxine Braham spring to mind, there's loads of great British soul singers.

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Better than Mica Paris? :shhh: Amy's voice sounds far too affected and put on for me and not natural enough for me on a soul level or are you talking across the genres? if you are I would put Noddy Holder's above Amy's.

Jordi

:thumbsup:

And what about Heather Small :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Am I the same girl - corinne drewery/sos - fontana

12578 refosoul

Another slice of the stunning Ms. Drewery! Deffo one of the best BRITISH voices, whatever the musical genre :thumbsup:post-1355-1165949301_thumb.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KofF4aYJaY

:rolleyes:

finest vocalist in the last 40 years in the Uk is the bird from Swing out Sister! ave a word wiv yaself guvna!

Caron Wheeler, Carleen Anderson, Jhelisa Anderson, Joanna Law, Alison Limerick,

Maxine Braham spring to mind, there's loads of great British soul singers.

Oh yes...Caron from Soul II Soul...and the female from Loose Ends comes to mind as well! I also enjoy Lisa Stansfield (is she British or Austrailian?)

Better than Mica Paris? :lol: Amy's voice sounds far too affected and put on for me and not natural enough for me on a soul level or are you talking across the genres? if you are I would put Noddy Holder's above Amy's.

Jordi

:shhh: Yes Mica...my friends have seen her in concert and always great reviews of her performances!

Social source share

I NEVER LISTEN TO ANYTHING MY MISSUS LIKES - EXPECIALLY CURRENT CHART STUFF........EVEN IF IT IS A BIT SOULFUL...............SHE NOT LIKE JOHN LEES GROUNDHOGS....BOBBY BLAND OR MY LAMBRETTA................AMY............IT JUST AINT MY (SMALL MINDED 6TS) BAG DUDE! HER MUM WAS OK ---WASN'T HER NAME MARY............DOH!

Social source share

:thumbsup:

And what about Heather Small :lol:

i am glad you have praised heather small. i now know you are crackers for certain :lol:

see ya soon trev. told paul you have been slagging off a.w.

i would avoid him the next time you see him :yes:

see ya soon mate

:lol:

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Saw her on tv once, saying how she missed Rochdale chips and mushy peas! Have liked her ever since!

Plus I LUURVE this video! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9hGdu_wbp8

beat THAT Amy Winehouse!!1 :lol:

Bringing me back memories! :thumbsup:

This one too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO1ojgCWMcU

Been Around the World Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gVDUL7Co24

Been Around the World Live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V4ASmNDM6M

Don't Explain

It's a shame she didn't get more acclaim here...she is awesome!

Social source share

i'm sure the new album is all well and good, but it really has nothing to do with...."Soul Source - rare and northern soul "though does it?

I reckon it's a top quality soul album. Picked it up on day of release, listened to it through and immediately thought "fuckinell this is the biz". Thought "got to share this with people" and texted all the soul-types in my address book advising them to cancel their plans for the rest of the day and get their arses down to virgin or whatever and JUST BUY IT! I've played "tears dry.." out at 2 soul nites to good response and nods of approval. If that track was coming in as an unknown vinyl one-off obscurity we'd get trampled in the stampede for it.

Me, I think its a great SOUL album.

Then again, it's each to their own and all that kak.

Social source share

Well I must admit I liked "Rehab" but I'm afraid the two posted above don't really do a lot for me - she sounds almost like a Saturday night karaoke singer :huh:

Oh and, I'm no prude but somehow a certain word which is one letter different from the Unix command for File System Check sounds a little incongruous on a soul track n'est-ce pas? wicked.gif

I like the album and your avatar dances so well to "Tears Dry on Their Own" :thumbsup:

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Just listened to that "tears dry.." again, in case my ears were deceiving me, as lots have said its good. Sorry no, its sh**e! What's she sampled for that? "Jingle bells"? "Santa claus is coming to town"? sounds like a bad Christmas tune backing track! Amy WHINEhouse more like, what an ANNOYING voice. Soul?? get outa here!!!

Social source share

Just listened to that "tears dry.." again, in case my ears were deceiving me, as lots have said its good. Sorry no, its sh**e! What's she sampled for that? "Jingle bells"? "Santa claus is coming to town"? sounds like a bad Christmas tune backing track! Amy WHINEhouse more like, what an ANNOYING voice. Soul?? get outa here!!!

Loads of stuff has been played on the scene that way less soulful than a lot of stuff on the AW album. It's not northern or rare but much of it is soulful. Lisa Stansfield isn't from the North as you put it she's from Lancashire :thumbsup:tongue.gif:huh:

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

I believe its true Ken.. I really can't think of a better UK vocalist.

Simon, what do you think of Alice Russell? I heard Norman Jay play her funkified cover of "Seven Nation Army" which was quite impressive. Not heard her anywhere since, but on that single hearing on crackly pirate radio, she sounded like she could give Amy a run for her money.

....and I could give Amy a run for her money in the old sweary/lairy business, so she's stuffed now isn't she? :shades:

Social source share

Simon, what do you think of Alice Russell? I heard Norman Jay play her funkified cover of "Seven Nation Army" which was quite impressive. Not heard her anywhere since, but on that single hearing on crackly pirate radio, she sounded like she could give Amy a run for her money.

....and I could give Amy a run for her money in the old sweary/lairy business, so she's stuffed now isn't she? biggrin.gif

Well you got me on both counts .. not familiar with Alice Russell (..or did she sing with someone like Tricky or one of the Bristol lot?) and don't know what 'Seven Nation Army' is! :shades:

I think that Amy's album as a whole works really well rather than taking one particular track. Lyrically I think it's brilliant and I loooooooove the way she sings the songs. I also think what they've done is clever. Re-creating the backing track to 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' and putting totally new lyrics over it is brave. Once you get over the idea you're not hearing Marvin and Tammi and get your head round what they're doing its pretty amazing. 'Me & Mr Jones' is one of the best things I've ever heard.

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

I really like "tears dry on their own" I have had a quick listen to the album and I think it sounds okay. might get it for the car. Better than most of the old toss that gets passed for "soul" in the charts.

Alice Russel is FANTASTIC! try to check out her stuff with the Quantic Soul Orchestra. Its very good. Oh Yes.

Social source share

anyone else heard it yet?

great stuff imo. will try and add a track or two if i can figure it out

shane

Agree. Quality. :thumbsup:

I've heard people bang on about Martha Redbone and Brenda Russell but this lass kicks them both into a cocked hoop. I've heard nothing released in the past 24 months that can hold a candle to this - apart from George Soule's outing that is (although I'm holding out on the David Sea which I haven't heard yet). :hypo:

Pay big bucks for Corey Blake and Alex Brown if you want - but this is just as good as. There's a few on this album that would have had the great and good yelping for more at places like The Hoist, the Canal Tarvern and Arties Mill :thumbsup:

10___He_Can_Only_Hold_Her.mp3

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert