Holy Grails of genres?

Simon T

'I've heard people call Mick H a "cheque book DJ", but he's head and shoulders above 99% of the DJs on the soul scene in my very correct opinion. And wouldn't you rather have DJs out there buying the rare records and playing them on the UK soul scene than not?'

I think DJs like Mick are great, particulary after visiting Lifeline and hearing the DJs there playing not just rare records but quality obscurities and records that you just don't hear anywhere else. Theres nothing better than hearing new sounds of excellent calibre and even better when they are in plentiful supply. Very keen on Mick's Anita Humes CU too, a belting record.

ps. Anyone know how many copies of the Royal Imperials on Mellow Town are knocking about??

I would rephrase what I said to how JT described 'em, sheep dj's. DJ's who chase indemanders and with little imnagination and for some the more they spend on a record the better, said I wasn't gonna get involved in this arguement :thumbsup:

The scene would be very poor without DJ's like Mick who has a lot to offer and believes in wanting to hear something different, one of the reasons he's involved with Lifeline.

Social source share

• Replies 123
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Leigh J

Gary also played the oracles first c/u as jackie lee and the trips

Cheers :boxing: Mr Rushbrooke Has To Be The most Underated DJ Of All Time

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Cheers :boxing: Mr Rushbrooke Has To Be The most Underated DJ Of All Time

Have to agree with you there - so many of his early '80s spins still relatively unknown and underplayed: J Finch and the Specials, Naturals to name but two

Social source share

Guest rachel

Touchy...

Not really... but there is also a site policy about not antagonising the moderators when they're knackered and choked up with the cold :boxing:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Oh God no, anything but jazz...the absolute worst music in the history of...er..music! I detest every single sub-genre of it. Pile of w8nk the lot of it

Your quality Pete :boxing:

Social source share

Your quality Pete :boxing:

I know. But next someone will say "you don't like it because you don't understand it". Well I bet the same people can't stand punk rock. Is that because they don't understand it or because it sounds like shit to them? Jazz to me sounds like a pre-school playgroup who've been told to pick up an instrument and try to play it. No wonder Chet Baker jumped out of that f*cking window, he was trying to escape from the sound of his own haunted trumpet...

Social source share

I know. But next someone will say "you don't like it because you don't understand it". Well I bet the same people can't stand punk rock. Is that because they don't understand it or because it sounds like shit to them? Jazz to me sounds like a pre-school playgroup who've been told to pick up an instrument and try to play it. No wonder Chet Baker jumped out of that f*cking window, he was trying to escape from the sound of his own haunted trumpet...

Yes, there does seem to be a lot of "emperor's new clothes" in the jazz world - recently I listened to a CD which sounded almost as though the band were spending half an hour tuning up :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Many thanks for that Chalky. I wondered what this record was, I heard James Trouble play it once at S.O.N. and thought it was fantastic. £3k in JM's guide :thumbsup: looks like another I'll never own. :thumbsup:

I think Mr Manship has undervalued it a bit in there. See, he's not always over priced :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Post deleted, which part of the site policy to not post mp3s as attachments is hard to understand?

Oh, you deleted my post with the littel john mp3. Chalky's has been left up though. Explain please miss-moderator-madam-sir?

PMT must be hard to live with? Or should I post that in a seperate topic in the freebashing section? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Many thanks for that Chalky. I wondered what this record was, I heard James Trouble play it once at S.O.N. and thought it was fantastic. £3k in JM's guide :thumbsup: looks like another I'll never own. :thumbsup:

I always thought it was Ok, but more so for the one guy who could actually dance to it at Stafford.

Not one that has particularly stood the test of time IMO.

Social source share

Guest rachel

Oh, you deleted my post with the littel john mp3. Chalky's has been left up though. Explain please miss-moderator-madam-sir?

PMT must be hard to live with? Or should I post that in a seperate topic in the freebashing section? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simple explanation - Chalky posted it using the site soundclip facility, which means that the clip is played as a streaming file. Yours was an attached downloadable mp3 which is not allowed under the site guidelines.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Simple explanation - Chalky posted it using the site soundclip facility, which means that the clip is played as a streaming file. Yours was an attached downloadable mp3 which is not allowed under the site guidelines.

You must be a nightmare to live with. I can imagine it now:

"I told you before, the eggs go on this shelf, not that shelf. What part of that don't you understand? Next time you make me breakfast in bed make sure you put everything back on in the correct place."

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest rachel

You must be a nightmare to live with. I can imagine it now:

"I told you before, the eggs go on this shelf, not that shelf. What part of that don't you understand? Next time you make me breakfast in bed make sure you put everything back on in the correct place."

Can we get back on topic now please, and try to keep to forum guidelines.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

without looking '86 I think. Taken from echoes. I cut all the northern stuff out and binned the rest of the mag, all in folders upstairs.

Do You Have Any more That You Wouldnt Mind Sharing ?

Ive Got A Few Things From Echoes Too But My Scanners Knackered ,Ill Try To Sort Em Out

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert