Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Davlee profile photo

How many Versions of Soul Symphony

Look At Your Box Davlee

 
Posted

A favourite of mine in the 70s was Soul Symphony-Sons of Moses. Over the years there have been other issues under different names of the same track both in UK & USA.

Six feet Under, Hammond Brothers & Maggie comes to mind..

see below one I have not seen before, which has the same index number as the Le-Cam -Charay release..It look like a late 70s issue. Anyone know the full story or order of releases.

Apologies if it has already been discussed.

 

s-l1600.jpg

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
4 minutes ago, Davlee said:

A favourite of mine in the 70s was Soul Symphony-Sons of Moses. Over the years there have been other issues under different names of the same track both in UK & USA.

Six feet Under, Hammond Brothers & Maggie comes to mind..

see below one I have not seen before, which has the same index number as the Le-Cam -Charay release..It look like a late 70s issue. Anyone know the full story or order of releases.

Apologies if it has already been discussed.

 

s-l1600.jpg

Good question, this vocal is from 1968

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Also Ede Robin-There Must Be A Love Somewhere (Le Cam) reissued in 75' on Crystal in the UK. .Either Moses & Joshua or Sons Of Moses came first(not sure which)  I'm fairly sure. Major Bill Smith  certainly did love re-using backing tracks,that is for sure!

 

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Michael V said:

Also Ede Robin-There Must Be A Love Somewhere (Le Cam) reissued in 75' on Crystal in the UK. .Either Moses & Joshua or Sons Of Moses came first(not sure which)  I'm fairly sure. Major Bill Smith  certainly did love re-using backing tracks,that is for sure!

 

 

Major Bill (what a character he was), think Lecam was about 1971/72

Ede.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

It's been discussed on here before. Worth to find the link back. On my behalf, I am solidly found of the 'soul over easy' by the Hammond Brothers & Magie mix. Leaving me not bothered as a record collector not being a sixties "first edition". In regard of the other similar dark plum label and silver prints Le Cam releases more likely an early to mid seventies press.

Order of release of many of his Le Cam, Charay and Zuma labels should prove difficult to date. And even more so beyond 1969. About the 'soul symphony' on Coral, that which I believe to be first issue, as a lease venture with a "major" record company, all the other versions (different mixes) and titles or credited artists seem to go all over the places date-wise.

There is another "early" release of the 'soul symphony' out there if my memory serves me right still. Like on Zuma maybe... Or another small sub label of his. Often claim to be the very first local release. But that could also or rather (IMO) be an early seventies release that uses the same 'dry' with 'short intro' mix as the Sons of Moses "hit" version.

The odd QCA orange label that you show here (never saw that before, nice one !) pressed at RCA (seemingly at least) uses the same typo and catalogue number as my Le Cam. Really odd release. Keep 'em coming.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

It's been discussed on here before. Worth to find the link back. On my behalf, I am solidly found of the 'soul over easy' by the Hammond Brothers & Magie mix. Leaving me not bothered as a record collector not being a sixties "first edition". In regard of the other similar dark plum label and silver prints Le Cam releases more likely an early to mid seventies press.

Order of release of many of his Le Cam, Charay and Zuma labels should prove difficult to date. And even more so beyond 1969. About the 'soul symphony' on Coral, that which I believe to be first issue, as a lease venture with a "major" record company, all the other versions (different mixes) and titles or credited artists seem to go all over the places date-wise.

There is another "early" release of the 'soul symphony' out there if my memory serves me right still. Like on Zuma maybe... Or another small sub label of his. Often claim to be the very first local release. But that could also or rather (IMO) be an early seventies release that uses the same 'dry' with 'short intro' mix as the Sons of Moses "hit" version.

The odd QCA orange label that you show here (never saw that before, nice one !) pressed at RCA (seemingly at least) uses the same typo and catalogue number as my Le Cam. Really odd release. Keep 'em coming.

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

As an anecdote taken from Wiki on Major Bill Smith; 

later years, he achieved some notoriety for circulating tapes which he claimed proved that Elvis Presley had not died in 1977 but was still alive... In 1983 Smith initiated a legal action against Elvis Presley Enterprises, claiming it was interfering with his ability to publish a book about Presley; it was eventually published privately as Elvis Lives.

Fantastic !

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

QCA release is on Ebay NOW....someone outbid me please.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

before coral

the sons of moses soul symphony soft.jpg

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
12 minutes ago, Glyn1957 said:

before coral on Soft

 

Yes, that's the one I was trying to "remember"...And you're right. Most likely predates the Coral issue. You're right, my bad.  Thanks for that and indeed an important label for 'Major'.

370714867_Capturedcran2019-09-1911_33_50.png.4a3f802ba61975ed624804710a3f001b.png

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
55 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Yes, that's the one I was trying to "remember"...And you're right. Most likely predates the Coral issue. You're right, my bad.  Thanks for that and indeed an important label for 'Major'.

370714867_Capturedcran2019-09-1911_33_50.png.4a3f802ba61975ed624804710a3f001b.png

Did you every here this odd video with the Major

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

This o

1 hour ago, Glyn1957 said:

before coral

the sons of moses soul symphony soft.jpg

 

1 hour ago, Glyn1957 said:

before coral

the sons of moses soul symphony soft.jpg

This thread from 2007 +

Which came first Soft (Sons Of Moses) or Berry Street Station (LeCamm) ? I love this fun !!!!

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

The flip side of "Soul Over Easy" is a cover of Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed so that 45 is sometime after 1970.

Edited by The Yank
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Sons of Moses (Soft) is the 1st cut but with the short intro. Obvious if you think about it. THE SONS OF MOSES DILLARD!🤪

Better on Coral with the long intro imo.

Edited by Steve Lane

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Steve Lane said:

Sons of Moses (Soft) is the 1st cut but with the short intro. Obvious if you think about it. THE SONS OF MOSES DILLARD!🤪

Better on Coral with the long intro imo.

I thought it was the other way around - long intro on Soft, short intro on Coral? Long time since I owned either but that's how I remember  it - have mis rembered all this time?

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
22 hours ago, Rich B said:

I thought it was the other way around - long intro on Soft, short intro on Coral? Long time since I owned either but that's how I remember  it - have mis rembered all this time?

You have me thinking now Rich.......My Coral demo has the intro, I was sure the Soft issue didn`t. ???

Share this source music forum post


soul source url

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.