Are There Records That

Guest James Trouble

Guest James Trouble

Are there records that have been discovered very recently that wouldn't have worked on the scene many years ago, say in the 70s at Wigan.

And on the other hand, are there records from 'back in the day' that would not have worked if they had been discovered today.

for example, I would suggest that Elipsis works today, but it would never have worked at any other time. And Rod Keith "The Lord Said" would be laughed off the scene today by the majority.

:D

Social source share

• Replies 38
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Leigh J

Are there records that have been discovered very recently that wouldn't have worked on the scene many years ago, say in the 70s at Wigan.

And on the other hand, are there records from 'back in the day' that would not have worked if they had been discovered today.

for example, I would suggest that Elipsis works today, but it would never have worked at any other time. And Rod Keith "The Lord Said" would be laughed off the scene today by the majority.

A Fair Few Of The Big Stafford Sounds Were Tried Out At Wigan But Didnt Take Off , It Would Be Interesting To See How Some Of The R&B Stuff Would Have Gone Down . :D

Social source share

Rod Keith,you want your bumps read. :D

Social source share

I bet Rodd Keith would pack the floor today, strangley. For all it's faults it is a good dancer and thats all many care about when out.

I think Mello Souls, JJ Jackson c/u, Johnny Praye, would have worked back then. Much of Richards later Wigan set would work now as newies IMO.

Much of the Wigan stuff people knock but find a newie today of the dance calibre of say Judy Street, I bet that would go down well todays scene as a new discovery. Doesn't mean I want ot hear stuff like this every week :lol: But I would sooner hear a Judy Street or similiar than some of the crap touted as rare soul these days :lol::D

Social source share

I bet Rodd Keith would pack the floor today, strangley. For all it's faults it is a good dancer and thats all many care about when out.

I think Mello Souls, JJ Jackson c/u, Johnny Praye, would have worked back then. Much of Richards later Wigan set would work now as newies IMO.

Much of the Wigan stuff people knock but find a newie today of the dance calibre of say Judy Street, I bet that would go down well todays scene as a new discovery. Doesn't mean I want ot hear stuff like this every week :D But I would sooner hear a Judy Street or similiar than some of the crap touted as rare soul these days :lol::D

OH YES THE LATER SEARLING STUFF DEFINETLY [HOWEVER NOT SOME OF THE STUFF COULD NOT IMAGINE THE FLUFFY FALANA OR THE OLD ROBERT L MARTIN COVER UP GOING ON TODAYS SCENE.]CAN REMEMBER DAVE R PLAYING THE LIMITATIONS LONELY AND TROUBLED AND THINKING WHAT A AWESOME SLICE OF SIXTIES SOUL AND THE RECORD CRASHED AT WIGAN.THE SEARLING CIRCA 79 MONSTERS LIKE JACKIE BEAVERS ETC REALLY FORMED THE BACKBONE FOR THE SCENE TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STAGE AT STAFFORD ETC,INFACT MOST OF THAT 79 SET WOULD FORM THE BASIS OF ANY RARE SOUL COLLECTORS WANTS LIST NOW.

ALOT OF THE WHITE AND BLUE EYED SHITE PLAYED AT WIGAN NEEDLESS TO SAY WOULD NOT GO NOW,CAN YOU IMAGINE IT [LOL].BUT THERE AGAIN PEOPLE RATE BILL BUSH AND JOE JAMA AND I THINK THERE ARE ABSOLOUTE SHITE SO WHO AM I TO SAY.JUST MYHONEST OPINION THIS.

BAZ A.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

rodd keith was played at the union boat club in nottingham a couple of years ago BRILLIANT!!!!!!

always thought this was a classic stafford 45....maybe im wrong...

A Big Record At Notts Palais And Leicester Too

Social source share

rodd keith was played at the union boat club in nottingham a couple of years ago BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Bradford bensons,i first heard and the lord said.

Social source share

OH YES THE LATER SEARLING STUFF DEFINETLY [HOWEVER NOT SOME OF THE STUFF COULD NOT IMAGINE THE FLUFFY FALANA OR THE OLD ROBERT L MARTIN COVER UP GOING ON TODAYS SCENE.]CAN REMEMBER DAVE R PLAYING THE LIMITATIONS LONELY AND TROUBLED AND THINKING WHAT A AWESOME SLICE OF SIXTIES SOUL AND THE RECORD CRASHED AT WIGAN.THE SEARLING CIRCA 79 MONSTERS LIKE JACKIE BEAVERS ETC REALLY FORMED THE BACKBONE FOR THE SCENE TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STAGE AT STAFFORD ETC,INFACT MOST OF THAT 79 SET WOULD FORM THE BASIS OF ANY RARE SOUL COLLECTORS WANTS LIST NOW.

ALOT OF THE WHITE AND BLUE EYED SHITE PLAYED AT WIGAN NEEDLESS TO SAY WOULD NOT GO NOW,CAN YOU IMAGINE IT [LOL].BUT THERE AGAIN PEOPLE RATE BILL BUSH AND JOE JAMA AND I THINK THERE ARE ABSOLOUTE SHITE SO WHO AM I TO SAY.JUST MYHONEST OPINION THIS.

BAZ A.

Slightly off topic but personally imo Fluffy Falana is good on today's scene,just mho of course,anyone?
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

perhaps not making my point totally clear. I mean records that work only because they are known 'oldies' or classics. or newies that would not have been accepted had they been played in a different era. Personally I like Rod Keith a lot. But IMO if it was a new discovery today it would not be accepted today. I might be wrong, I'm sure there are better examples though.

Another example, DJ Genesis that would never have been big at wigan.

Social source share

Ellipsis would have worked at The Mecca, Cleethorpes Pier or the Ritz very nicely. In fact if more copies had been about as a new release it would probably have snuck onto the playlists of many nighters around then.

I have always had a sneaking admiration for Like The Lord Said... I don't know why but it's always seemed to have the kind of esoteric excitement about it that just seems to shout "rare soul monster" despite the fact that is has very little to do with soul music in any encyclopaedic sense.

In conclusion both these records would have had a chance at pretty much any time if they had been in the right deejays' hands as both have "x factor".

Edited by garethx
Social source share

That's All I Really Need - springfield rifle - jerden

13464 refosoul

Don't know if it ever did much ? but I thought this little blue eyed tune i picked up the other day might fit the bill, I would imagine it failed miserably against the stompers of it's time, but could see it following in the footsteps of 'Got Hung Up Along The Way' & 'Not Too Long Ago' if someone got behind it.

Possibly just about rare enough on the first issue to interest the collectors too.

Haven't got the deck connected to the pc at the mo, so had to take this off the Soul Club site. On playing the vinyl the pace change half way through is much punchier, especially if pitched up one notch at that time

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

ellipsis......

great record would have worked at clifton halls thorne the more progressive venues i am sure poke played ellipsis at clifton???

dj genesis more of a garage thing but very good it would have fitted in with wigan maybe sam arthur and richard all played new releases eg king tutt/cl blast but the majority of punters i remember shouting """get this funk off" HOW TIMES CHANGE!!!!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

perhaps not making my point totally clear. I mean records that work only because they are known 'oldies' or classics. or newies that would not have been accepted had they been played in a different era. Personally I like Rod Keith a lot. But IMO if it was a new discovery today it would not be accepted today. I might be wrong, I'm sure there are better examples though.

Another example, DJ Genesis that would never have been big at wigan.

I disagree James.

Rod Keith has the sound that would absolutely work today. It is the sound that has that 'instant' appeal, or not. Its only when you take a copy home, or hear it on a tape/cd, that the lyrics seem somewhat different to your average Soul track.

Same with that awful Aeroplane Song. The sound was right, just once you got to work out she is crooning

"There's a button on your left, and one on the right", that the complete cringeworthyness kicks in. But as a dancer its OK I guess.

The backing track for Rod Keith is an almost perfect blend of RnB Soul. I think if Ady played it first time out in March at the new 6Ts venue it would have an instant effect, just like it did back in the day.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I disagree James.

Rod Keith has the sound that would absolutely work today. It is the sound that has that 'instant' appeal, or not. Its only when you take a copy home, or hear it on a tape/cd, that the lyrics seem somewhat different to your average Soul track.

Same with that awful Aeroplane Song. The sound was right, just once you got to work out she is crooning

"There's a button on your left, and one on the right", that the complete cringeworthyness kicks in. But as a dancer its OK I guess.

The backing track for Rod Keith is an almost perfect blend of RnB Soul. I think if Ady played it first time out in March at the new 6Ts venue it would have an instant effect, just like it did back in the day.

You're probably right. As I say perhaps not the best example. What about something like 'night of the wolf'? If you played it now you would get folk dancing to it because they know it, but if it was an unknown today it would not be accepted like it was at Cleethorpes?

No particular reason for this thread, I just thought it was an interesting idea that has not been covered on here as far as I can remember?

Records that could only have been brocken 'in their day'. I would think Stafford and Wigan had a more than a few!

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Crow - You're Autumn of Tomorrow is probably one.

I cant see Pyramid being greeted with glee in 1977. I think it would be orgasmic if it were first time out in 2007 tho.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Crow - You're Autumn of Tomorrow is probably one.

I cant see Pyramid being greeted with glee in 1977. I think it would be orgasmic if it were first time out in 2007 tho.

That's the idea!

Social source share

Funnily enough I don't think Pyramid would be greeted with much enthusiasm if it were given its first outing today. Stafford seemed to create the perfect conditions for experimentation with the more left-field tracks. On a more general level, and I've said it on here before, punters today are probably far more conservative in their tastes than at any time in the scene's history. A whole host of great records which are accepted classics would probably not receive nationwide plaudits if aired as newies today: The Crow is a good example, as are things like Kenny Smith on GAR or James Fountain on Peachtree. Who today would have the guts to give Room Full Of Tears its debut at peak time at the country's biggest nighter?

Social source share

I think "Pyramid" woulda worked just fine cos its got that blend of 60's/70's that appeals to both sets of fans like those early James Fountain type Mecca 45s. Only IMO of course.

What wouldn't work is a lot of those R&B type things. Betty O'brien [so camp!!] and that 45 on Seneca by the girl that I can't bring to mind to name but two

ROD

Social source share

Funnily enough I don't think Pyramid would be greeted with much enthusiasm if it were given its first outing today. Stafford seemed to create the perfect conditions for experimentation with the more left-field tracks. On a more general level, and I've said it on here before, punters today are probably far more conservative in their tastes than at any time in the scene's history. A whole host of great records which are accepted classics would probably not receive nationwide plaudits if aired as newies today: The Crow is a good example, as are things like Kenny Smith on GAR or James Fountain on Peachtree. Who today would have the guts to give Room Full Of Tears its debut at peak time at the country's biggest nighter?

I would have thought Kenny Smith and James Fountain would be MASSIVE nowadays as "newies", surely? The old adage "quality will out" could have beeen devised for records like these. I also think that there are more collectors/fans around now that are more open minded about different styles of black dance music than ever before. Just my opinion of course, but I think most long time collectors have mellowed as their knowledge and 'ears' have matured. Still struggle with the clippity clopperty RnB stuff and the 'sampled' stuff though I have to say. rolleyes.gif

Regards ,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

for wigan not to play out R & B then surely no play for Kurt Harris - Emporer of my Baby's Heart which today gains spins here. In my view a great track

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

for wigan not to play out R & B then surely no play for Kurt Harris - Emporer of my Baby's Heart which today gains spins here. In my view a great track

have to admit i've never thought of R&B and kurt harris in the same sentence before ...... mainly because it's not

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

have to admit i've never thought of R&B and kurt harris in the same sentence before ...... mainly because it's not

:D What About Jimmy Robbins , Been Played For 35 Years Could This Have Been The First R&B Track ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert