• Replies 98
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It's me birfday.

I can abuse whoever I like, particularly if it's about one of the most tuneless dirges ever comitted to Vinyl.

Hopefully all copies are Styrene - that way they are easier to snap over your knee.

I don't usually care for this type of record either to be honest but just thinking about it gives me goosies...though without the strings it wouldn't be half as good as the voice is mixed too low...that version Mr Levine used on his film isn't too bad either, though I think he just went over the original and remixed it

Social source share

!

If You Are Playing Cheep And Tacky Pressings You Are Not A Northern Soul DJ Mate !

Get Mick h , Butch Or Pat Brady To Do Your Soul Nights , As For CDs Why Dont You Go The Whole Hog And Plug Your MP3 Player Into The Decks ,Of Course It Matters What Label Its On RARE SOUL Thats The Whole Point .

Don't think Ed actually said it was a Northern Soul night Playfair.

In fact I know that it's a general 60s night and I'm pretty sure the people who attend don't care which issue of the Small Faces 45s get played either. Not sure the same rules apply in the case no.gif

Godz

Social source share

Guest edsuede

I saw a copy of this at Brid Scooter Rally, paid £6 - mint record, no scratches or crackles, result! Guess an original (if I could find one) might of cost me in excess of £100, so I now have more money left to spend on getting more sounds. Furthermore, I've DJ'd my copy several times since I got it, allowing others to enjoy a record they might not otherwise hear unless they went to a major venue!

If You Are Playing Cheep And Tacky Pressings You Are Not A Northern Soul DJ Mate !

Get Mick h , Butch Or Pat Brady To Do Your Soul Nights , As For CDs Why Dont You Go The Whole Hog And Plug Your MP3 Player Into The Decks ,Of Course It Matters What Label Its On RARE SOUL Thats The Whole Point .

:yes: Hi, never claimed to be a northern soul DJ. I'm just one of a group of several small time DJ's at a modest monthly club who once a month play everything from early 60s R&B, Rocksteady, Northern, 60's Dance-floor jazz, etc , to a regular crowd of old soulies, scooterists, mods, skins, and the downright curious, for no fee, purely for the pleasure and passion of it.

Not one of our regulars has ever demanded to inspect the vinyl. I suspect they don't care. They're more interested in dancing or listening to good music than whether the DJ has had to re-mortgage his/her house for a box of rare records. All over the country there are similar small clubs to ours - soul clubs, mod clubs, whatever - do they all only play originals? If so, there must be more ORIGINAL copies of "Do I love you" doing the rounds than the estimated 2/3 in existance (I'm led to beleive that purists don't count the UK Tamla Motown release).

Respect due to big name DJs such as the one's you name check - but I don't think they'd be interested in DJing our small club that on a good night probably only gets 60/70 through the door. What's more, we couldn't afford them!!!

Moving onto the MP3 suggestion - why does everyone think I'm a techno wizard? As previously mentioned, I'm vinyl through and through - in all honesty I don't even own a MP3 - never so much as switched one on! Have heard reliable reports of several people who have proudly called themselves 'Northern Soul' DJs for many many years (and at least one big name) using them at events though!

Finally, 'rare soul - that's the point?' What point exactly? Even allowing for a few hundred pressings of Johnny Taylor being played in the UK, wouldn't you say it's still a rare record? After all, how many of the UK music-loving population have ever heard that record? More will know "Do I Love You" as a result of the Kentucky ad. What about things like "Stormy" by Diana Ross (or was it the Supremes) - to the best of my knowledge (and I know others will correct me if I'm wrong) never officially released and ONLY available on a pressing - can't get much rarer than that, and a cracking tune as well - but I'm assuming you wouldn't buy that as it's a cheap and nasty pressing?!?

Can 'o' worms well and truely opened......

Social source share

Guest edsuede

Here we go again, if he gets people dancing who gives a toss, not the dancers! Nobody's ever come up to me when I've been djing with my pressing of mel britt and told me to turn it off. They'd be wearing it if they did.

:yes: Thanks for your support. I occasionally DJ the 'evil' second pressing of Mel Britt - it's got a thin white line on the label or something like that, checked it out with Manship's bootleg guide at the time of buying it. Up until now, I've got away with playing it, but now it's out in the open that it's a pressing, the good folk of Scarborough will stone me in the street...er, or not, and continue dancing to it as they always have!

Social source share

Guest edsuede

Don't think Ed actually said it was a Northern Soul night Playfair.

In fact I know that it's a general 60s night and I'm pretty sure the people who attend don't care which issue of the Small Faces 45s get played either. Not sure the same rules apply in the case :yes:

Godz

:D Tut, tut Godzilla! I expected better of you than this mischief! If you were a more frequent visitor to our humble establishment, you would know very well that the bulk of the music played is R&B, soul, reggae, etc. Yes, we play Small Faces tracks (and yes, they are original blue Deccas) - it's not a Northern Soul night after all, but appeals to a much wider audience. And, alongside the 'cheap and nasty pressings' a huge amount of original R&B and Soul gets played too!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Pete's right this is an old subject... :D But anyway....

Personally i've got no problem with DJs (rare soul or otherwise) playing off reissues, boots, CDs, whatever as long as the punters know they aren't listening to original vinyl. I also agree with Pete that most dancers don't care either. Equally personally on the rare occasion i've DJ'd i didn't, and wouldn't, do it.

What i don't understand is why DJs use reissues and boots and their own pressings. What's the point of DJing with vinyl if it's not original? You may as well play CDs surely? Just because it's vinyl doesn't make it special, it's the fact that it's an original issue or demo and is probably not owned by many people at the venue, if any in some cases, and they want to hear stuff they can't hear anywhere else. A playbox of rare vinyl should be unique to a particular DJ, which is why certain DJs get lots of bookings and others don't (they have the records). Otherwise everyone could play the same set, and that's no fun surely? Isn't that the point of a rare soul scene, going out to hear rarely played soul?

All the best :yes:

Matt

Social source share

What about things like "Stormy" by Diana Ross (or was it the Supremes) - to the best of my knowledge (and I know others will correct me if I'm wrong) never officially released and ONLY available on a pressing

You're wrong. Got an official Motown release both here and in the States. Admittedly CD or album only, but still an official release.

Social source share

What i don't understand is why DJs use reissues and boots and their own pressings. What's the point of DJing with vinyl if it's not original? You may as well play CDs surely?

Matt

Come on Matt, it's not because dj's want to play them, it's because people want to hear them!

Social source share

:thumbup: Tut, tut Godzilla! I expected better of you than this mischief! If you were a more frequent visitor to our humble establishment, you would know very well that the bulk of the music played is R&B, soul, reggae, etc. Yes, we play Small Faces tracks (and yes, they are original blue Deccas) - it's not a Northern Soul night after all, but appeals to a much wider audience. And, alongside the 'cheap and nasty pressings' a huge amount of original R&B and Soul gets played too!

I dunno, you try to give someone a bit of back up. Anyway, two words:

1) Gene

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

:wicked: Hi, never claimed to be a northern soul DJ. I'm just one of a group of several small time DJ's at a modest monthly club who once a month play everything from early 60s R&B, Rocksteady, Northern, 60's Dance-floor jazz, etc , to a regular crowd of old soulies, scooterists, mods, skins, and the downright curious, for no fee, purely for the pleasure and passion of it.

Not one of our regulars has ever demanded to inspect the vinyl. I suspect they don't care. They're more interested in dancing or listening to good music than whether the DJ has had to re-mortgage his/her house for a box of rare records. All over the country there are similar small clubs to ours - soul clubs, mod clubs, whatever - do they all only play originals? If so, there must be more ORIGINAL copies of "Do I love you" doing the rounds than the estimated 2/3 in existance (I'm led to beleive that purists don't count the UK Tamla Motown release).

Respect due to big name DJs such as the one's you name check - but I don't think they'd be interested in DJing our small club that on a good night probably only gets 60/70 through the door. What's more, we couldn't afford them!!!

Moving onto the MP3 suggestion - why does everyone think I'm a techno wizard? As previously mentioned, I'm vinyl through and through - in all honesty I don't even own a MP3 - never so much as switched one on! Have heard reliable reports of several people who have proudly called themselves 'Northern Soul' DJs for many many years (and at least one big name) using them at events though!

Finally, 'rare soul - that's the point?' What point exactly? Even allowing for a few hundred pressings of Johnny Taylor being played in the UK, wouldn't you say it's still a rare record? After all, how many of the UK music-loving population have ever heard that record? More will know "Do I Love You" as a result of the Kentucky ad. What about things like "Stormy" by Diana Ross (or was it the Supremes) - to the best of my knowledge (and I know others will correct me if I'm wrong) never officially released and ONLY available on a pressing - can't get much rarer than that, and a cracking tune as well - but I'm assuming you wouldn't buy that as it's a cheap and nasty pressing?!?

Can 'o' worms well and truely opened......

I Take On Board Your Point About Small/Local Soul Nights Playing Stuff On Any Format Thats Fine I Just Wouldnt Go To Them , Im Not Here To Stir Up Trouble Or Call People ,My Standards Were Set By Guy , Gilly Blondie etc..... In The 80's Then You Just Didnt Play Pressings It Was Frowned Upon , Ok Records Were Easier To Get And A Sight Cheaper Then You Had DJ's eg...Guy ,Pat Brady And You Had Collectors eg.. Ion ,

Gilly .

As For CD's Fine As A New Release For The Modern Scene But Anything Else :( .Whats The Difference Playing Say 25 Tracks From CD's Or Burning Them All Onto 1 And Sticking That In The Decks To Play All The Way Through ,You Could Nip To The Bar And Have A Pint Whilst You 'DJ' .

Sorry Fellas You All Have Your Feelings On This Subject And This Is Mine , I Wouldnt Buy 'Stormy' Not Because Its A 'Pressing' But Because Its Crap ,Now The Steve Mancha Thing That Came Out Around The Same Time Different Thing All Together :)

Social source share

Pete's right this is an old subject... :( But anyway....

Personally i've got no problem with DJs (rare soul or otherwise) playing off reissues, boots, CDs, whatever as long as the punters know they aren't listening to original vinyl. I also agree with Pete that most dancers don't care either. Equally personally on the rare occasion i've DJ'd i didn't, and wouldn't, do it.

What i don't understand is why DJs use reissues and boots and their own pressings. What's the point of DJing with vinyl if it's not original? You may as well play CDs surely? Just because it's vinyl doesn't make it special, it's the fact that it's an original issue or demo and is probably not owned by many people at the venue, if any in some cases, and they want to hear stuff they can't hear anywhere else. A playbox of rare vinyl should be unique to a particular DJ, which is why certain DJs get lots of bookings and others don't (they have the records). Otherwise everyone could play the same set, and that's no fun surely? Isn't that the point of a rare soul scene, going out to hear rarely played soul?

All the best :wicked:

Matt

NAIL ON HEAD! yes.gif:)

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Did we not agree that minor local nights, didn't matter what you played, bigger venues, originals only?

:wicked: Sounds Fair Enough , Still Wouldnt Go Though.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Yeah but if you just wanted a pint and a chat, wouldn't matter would it??? It's just background music...

No You Are Right , There Are A Hell Of Lot More Soul Nights Now Than There Were Then , I Suppose Its More About Nostalgia Than Quality Of Music , Im Just An Old Fart Stuck In My Ways .

Social source share

Guest edsuede

You're wrong. Got an official Motown release both here and in the States. Admittedly CD or album only, but still an official release.

:wicked: Fair comment Dave. On reflection, bad example to choose. Have learnt something there and that's the main reason I've signed up to this forum!

I guess the point I was trying to make (albeit with a flawed example) is that there are rare records that never saw it onto vinyl and as such, the only chance you'll ever get to play 'em might be on a pressing that someone's knocked up - if it's one of those 'oh my god discoveries' that send the chills right up the spine, wouldn't even original vinyl only DJs want to own it to DJ?

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

:wicked: Fair comment Dave. On reflection, bad example to choose. Have learnt something there and that's the main reason I've signed up to this forum!

I guess the point I was trying to make (albeit with a flawed example) is that there are rare records that never saw it onto vinyl and as such, the only chance you'll ever get to play 'em might be on a pressing that someone's knocked up - if it's one of those 'oh my god discoveries' that send the chills right up the spine, wouldn't even original vinyl only DJs want to own it to DJ?

Only Until Its Been Pressed :)

Social source share

Guest edsuede

I Take On Board Your Point About Small/Local Soul Nights Playing Stuff On Any Format Thats Fine I Just Wouldnt Go To Them , Im Not Here To Stir Up Trouble Or Call People ,My Standards Were Set By Guy , Gilly Blondie etc..... In The 80's Then You Just Didnt Play Pressings It Was Frowned Upon , Ok Records Were Easier To Get And A Sight Cheaper Then You Had DJ's eg...Guy ,Pat Brady And You Had Collectors eg.. Ion ,

Gilly .

As For CD's Fine As A New Release For The Modern Scene But Anything Else :( .Whats The Difference Playing Say 25 Tracks From CD's Or Burning Them All Onto 1 And Sticking That In The Decks To Play All The Way Through ,You Could Nip To The Bar And Have A Pint Whilst You 'DJ' .

Sorry Fellas You All Have Your Feelings On This Subject And This Is Mine , I Wouldnt Buy 'Stormy' Not Because Its A 'Pressing' But Because Its Crap ,Now The Steve Mancha Thing That Came Out Around The Same Time Different Thing All Together :wicked:

biggrin.gif Standards are no bad thing. If you personally only play original vinyl then I respect that totally, like I've said, I play MOSTLY original vinyl myself, and not JUST pressings. I guess the fact that that the soul scene encompasses such a broad spectrum of tastes, clubs, venues, people, and musical formats, etc means that we'll all have our own different, personal standards as to what is/isn't acceptable. In much the same way that you're a product of your 'soul environment' - as you say, mixing with people who only owned/own, originals, my intro to soul/R&B came in the early 80s via the Mod/scooter scene when I was living in Somerset (not exactly known for it's prominence on the soul scene - though rumours exist of an unreleased Wurzels track from their 'Soul years' biggrin.gif ). I remember the excitement when the DJ/promoter of our top local do (a skittle alley in a pub) got hold of the latest Inferno releases. We'd hear 'em for the first time on the Saturday night and get 'em ordered up ourselves on the Monday. Whilst I soon started going further afield to Bristol and Gloucester, I don't recall there being boxes of original records for sale at these venues. As an apprecentice plumber with a scooter to pay off on HP I suspect I wouldn't have been able to afford 'em anyway! As a result, just owning the track on vinyl at all became a big thing - something that's never left me, even though I can now afford to buy more originals.

Regards sticking a CD on and going to the bar, (a yet unconfirmed) report reached my ears yesterday that on New Years Eve one of the many North East Coast DJ/ promoters did almost exactly that but using a computer and MP3 player! I may include pressings in my playlist, but at least I stay behind the decks when I play 'em! :)

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

:( Standards are no bad thing. If you personally only play original vinyl then I respect that totally, like I've said, I play MOSTLY original vinyl myself, and not JUST pressings. I guess the fact that that the soul scene encompasses such a broad spectrum of tastes, clubs, venues, people, and musical formats, etc means that we'll all have our own different, personal standards as to what is/isn't acceptable. In much the same way that you're a product of your 'soul environment' - as you say, mixing with people who only owned/own, originals, my intro to soul/R&B came in the early 80s via the Mod/scooter scene when I was living in Somerset (not exactly known for it's prominence on the soul scene - though rumours exist of an unreleased Wurzels track from their 'Soul years' biggrin.gif ). I remember the excitement when the DJ/promoter of our top local do (a skittle alley in a pub) got hold of the latest Inferno releases. We'd hear 'em for the first time on the Saturday night and get 'em ordered up ourselves on the Monday. Whilst I soon started going further afield to Bristol and Gloucester, I don't recall there being boxes of original records for sale at these venues. As an apprecentice plumber with a scooter to pay off on HP I suspect I wouldn't have been able to afford 'em anyway! As a result, just owning the track on vinyl at all became a big thing - something that's never left me, even though I can now afford to buy more originals.

Regards sticking a CD on and going to the bar, (a yet unconfirmed) report reached my ears yesterday that on New Years Eve one of the many North East Coast DJ/ promoters did almost exactly that but using a computer and MP3 player! I may include pressings in my playlist, but at least I stay behind the decks when I play 'em! :)

If You Are A Plumber Then You Can Easily Afford The Originals , Unlike Us Poor Bricklayers :wicked:

Social source share

Guest edsuede

Did we not agree that minor local nights, didn't matter what you played, bigger venues, originals only?

:wicked: Being new to the forum I missed this, and previous debates about this subject so apologies if I'm 'digging up old ground'!

Social source share

Guest edsuede

If You Are A Plumber Then You Can Easily Afford The Originals , Unlike Us Poor Bricklayers :wicked:

:) To clarify... was a plumber - then got a 'calling' to do youth and community work, went to University late 90s as a mature student (still saddled with the debt) and now work with young people who's idea of music is lots of squeaks and weird noises!! Don't earn anywhere near as much now - working in the public services is not a ticket to riches!!! Mind you, at least ebay helps with it's access to the US and it's poor dollar!!

Poor bricklayers my backside! :(

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I don't think the size of the venue matters Pete, although some might say originals only at niters. I think you are 100% right when you say it's down to the punters at the end of the day. If they expect to hear original vinyl, that's what they should get, if they are a crowd who don't care what format it's on, then fair enough.

I'm not sure i agree with you that there are punters who want to hear vinyl only even if it's boots or reissues. Surely the same people wouldn't mind CDs? In which case, play CDs, better sound quality after all.

Social source share

I don't think the size of the venue matters Pete, although some might say originals only at niters. I think you are 100% right when you say it's down to the punters at the end of the day. If they expect to hear original vinyl, that's what they should get, if they are a crowd who don't care what format it's on, then fair enough.

I'm not sure i agree with you that there are punters who want to hear vinyl only even if it's boots or reissues. Surely the same people wouldn't mind CDs? In which case, play CDs, better sound quality after all.

I dunno, it just doesn't seem right not playing vinyl Matt! Me - personally - I don't care. I only go out to chat and drink beer. I've been to 3 Prestatyns and not danced once! I danced for about 2 hours at Stoke 2 years ago...think that was the last time..

Social source share

I saw a copy of this at Brid Scooter Rally, paid £6 - mint record, no scratches or crackles, result! Guess an original (if I could find one) might of cost me in excess of £100, so I now have more money left to spend on getting more sounds. Furthermore, I've DJ'd my copy several times since I got it, allowing others to enjoy a record they might not otherwise hear unless they went to a major venue!

Ditto

Russ

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

when ive found that i have purchased a pressing (it happens), i break it regardless of how much i paid for it. would never want the same thing to happen to someone else.

sure it's "whats in the grooves that count," but if you are a DJ, regardless of genre, i find it terribly lazy to go out of your way and purchase pressings for the purposes of DJing. some of us folk spend all of our time, money, money, money, time, gas, money to have THAT toon that we have been wanting forever, ultimately with the chance to play it for other people who cant hear it anywhere else nearby. its insulting when someone just goes and buys a $2 pressing and say ... plays it right before your set at a nite!!! (RARR!).

anyhow ... dont be a lazy dj ... and if you cant be bothered dont dj at all.

Social source share

I'm really disappointed with the last couple of posts in this thread, we're supposed to be encouraging people onto the scene, not driving them away. If he wants to play pressings, let him play pressings, it's got f*ck all to do with anyone else, no wonder outsiders think of NS as an elitist movement.

Social source share

when ive found that i have purchased a pressing (it happens), i break it regardless of how much i paid for it. would never want the same thing to happen to someone else.

I do the same in our local cafe if they serve me a cup of tea in anything but the finest bone china. Mind you I am completely lulu. hypo.gif

Godz

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

I do the same in our local cafe if they serve me a cup of tea in anything but the finest bone china. Mind you I am completely lulu. hypo.gif

Godz

what would be better? selling to some other unsuspecting soul? sell it, stating it is a boot, and get $2 for it. the joy of breaking it certainly give me more pleasure than $2 would, i suspect.

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

Yeah but you happen to live in America...not many soul records lying around in Wolverhampton nowadays laugh.gif

haha none here either, my friend. THANKS ENGLAND!!! :yes:

Social source share

Guest edsuede

sure it's "whats in the grooves that count," but if you are a DJ, regardless of genre, i find it terribly lazy to go out of your way and purchase pressings for the purposes of DJing. some of us folk spend all of our time, money, money, money, time, gas, money to have THAT toon that we have been wanting forever, ultimately with the chance to play it for other people who cant hear it anywhere else nearby. its insulting when someone just goes and buys a $2 pressing and say ... plays it right before your set at a nite!!! (RARR!).

anyhow ... dont be a lazy dj ... and if you cant be bothered dont dj at all.

no.gif If I was lazy I certainly wouldn't "go out of my way to purchase pressings". I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase anything full stop!

You assume (wrongly) that I also don't spend a large amount of my time, money and petrol to have THAT record. Whilst I certainly don't spend "all my time doing it" (as I have a job to go to, Lambretta to ride and maintain and a social life to be had), I do spend a fair amount of my time tracking down MOSTLY original records, something I've been doing for a fair time now.

Sometimes I strike lucky and get a track on an original for a price I can afford - and I'll buy it. Other times after searching long and hard I either can't find or afford the price of a desired record. In the case of the record in question here I found something I've been after for a long while. It plays well and gives the people who frequent the small club I DJ at a chance to hear a rare record!

If you personally won't settle for any less than 100% original copies then good luck to you. The very nature of the prices and limited supply on our scene means that you'll never be able to own a vast amount of the vinyl you crave. Some people are happy with that situation, personally I'm not, life's too short!

If you get offended by pressings then that's a matter of personal choice for you. Pressings are there because of an unmet demand and because people without an endless supply of money want to own a record they might not otherwise be able to obtain.

Thanks for the patronising advice regards DJing by the way - won't be taking it.

Social source share

Guest edsuede

I'm really disappointed with the last couple of posts in this thread, we're supposed to be encouraging people onto the scene, not driving them away. If he wants to play pressings, let him play pressings, it's got f*ck all to do with anyone else, no wonder outsiders think of NS as an elitist movement.

biggrin.gif Cheers mate, appreciated!

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

woaah there fella, my comments werent directed at you.

it just happens that there are a lot of "northern soul djs" here in this country that consider themselves to be top of the heap ... play what people "want" to hear and such, but only buys pressings. to me, that is lazy and a bit boring.

none of us here (well maybe a few) are rich. i know that i sure am not. however, if i want something, i know to save up some money for the real thing. its just what i want ... again, the thrill of the hunt and then finally tracking it down and being able to afford it because you waited and saved for it. besides there are a ton of affordable quality records out there. i think that is an intrigal part of being a dj as well ... being able to look past the big money items and using your ear. again, im not speaking to anyone directly here, just saying ...

yes, ill never own the salvadors ... but, if given a chance to hear the record out at a night by someone who does own it, well that is good enough for me. otherwise, im content to listen to it at home on a cd or mp3. there are plenty of other records to dance to.

didnt mean to sound patronizing, and certainly wasnt directing any comments towards you personally.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Good Point Pete I Think A Few Of Us Have Been Unfair In Our Comments Towards Edsuede When After Reading A Few Of His Posts All He Is Doing Is 'Spreading The Gospel' At A Local Soul Night .

Everyone On The Scene Enjoys The Music That Goes Without Saying , Its Like I Said Earlier If You Dont like It You Dont Have To Attend .

In The 80's You Could Choose Were You Went By Who Was DJing , You Knew What Stuff Certain DJs Would Play , Its Not So Easy Now As There Are So Many 'Djs'. Its Nice To Get Your Name On A Flyer But ,And I Think Most Will Agree With Me When I Say , You Have To Earn The Right Not Just Buy Pressings Or The Latest CD Compilation , Whether Thats From Years Of Record Collecting Or Just Being Wealthy (I Know What I Would Do If My 6 Numbers Come Up On saturday).

Matt Male Hit The Nail On The Head When He Said It Depends On Who Is Coming To Your soul Night And What They want To Here , Promoters At Least Need To Break Even.

I Have Personal Experience Of This When A mate And I Started A Rare 60's Only Night In Nuneaton , It Well And Truly Bombed .

:P

Social source share

Despite some strong views on this one it;s good to read the supportive posts of PeteS and Playfair - nice one guys. The differing views simply remind us all of the shared passion we have for the music - long may it continue. We're all in this together.

We do need to be encouraging to each other - we all got soul! (We might not have all the soul we want in our boxes - but it's sure in our hearts.)

:P

Social source share

no offense to anyone ... i didnt mean my comment to be a slight ... but to me, part of being a dj is the thrill of the hunt.

the thrill of the hunt should be because you are a record collector

the job of the dj is to play music and get people dancing.

now there are record collectors who dj and there are djs who collect records.

Social source share

Guest edsuede

Despite some strong views on this one it;s good to read the supportive posts of PeteS and Playfair - nice one guys. The differing views simply remind us all of the shared passion we have for the music - long may it continue. We're all in this together.

We do need to be encouraging to each other - we all got soul! (We might not have all the soul we want in our boxes - but it's sure in our hearts.)

:thumbsup:

:lol: My thanks also. At one point over the last few days I thought I was in danger of being burned at the stake for my crimes! :thumbup:

I agree totally with the above. Unfortunately I feel we're (literally) a dying breed - people don't seem to get life-time passionate about their music these days - perhaps that's one of the many and complex reasons why we don't attract new (younger) blood to our scene in decent numbers. Here's to togetherness!

Social source share

Guest edsuede

Good Point Pete I Think A Few Of Us Have Been Unfair In Our Comments Towards Edsuede When After Reading A Few Of His Posts All He Is Doing Is 'Spreading The Gospel' At A Local Soul Night .

Everyone On The Scene Enjoys The Music That Goes Without Saying , Its Like I Said Earlier If You Dont like It You Dont Have To Attend .

In The 80's You Could Choose Were You Went By Who Was DJing , You Knew What Stuff Certain DJs Would Play , Its Not So Easy Now As There Are So Many 'Djs'. Its Nice To Get Your Name On A Flyer But ,And I Think Most Will Agree With Me When I Say , You Have To Earn The Right Not Just Buy Pressings Or The Latest CD Compilation , Whether Thats From Years Of Record Collecting Or Just Being Wealthy (I Know What I Would Do If My 6 Numbers Come Up On saturday).

Matt Male Hit The Nail On The Head When He Said It Depends On Who Is Coming To Your soul Night And What They want To Here , Promoters At Least Need To Break Even.

I Have Personal Experience Of This When A mate And I Started A Rare 60's Only Night In Nuneaton , It Well And Truly Bombed .

:thumbsup:

:lol: Cheers Playfair, you live up to your name sir!

Social source share

Guest edsuede

woaah there fella, my comments werent directed at you.

it just happens that there are a lot of "northern soul djs" here in this country that consider themselves to be top of the heap ... play what people "want" to hear and such, but only buys pressings. to me, that is lazy and a bit boring.

none of us here (well maybe a few) are rich. i know that i sure am not. however, if i want something, i know to save up some money for the real thing. its just what i want ... again, the thrill of the hunt and then finally tracking it down and being able to afford it because you waited and saved for it. besides there are a ton of affordable quality records out there. i think that is an intrigal part of being a dj as well ... being able to look past the big money items and using your ear. again, im not speaking to anyone directly here, just saying ...

yes, ill never own the salvadors ... but, if given a chance to hear the record out at a night by someone who does own it, well that is good enough for me. otherwise, im content to listen to it at home on a cd or mp3. there are plenty of other records to dance to.

didnt mean to sound patronizing, and certainly wasnt directing any comments towards you personally.

:thumbsup::lol: No hard feelings here!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert