• Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Let Me Do It Till You Are Satisfied - oscar perry - yellow horizon

13929 refosoul

Agree with previous comments re Otis Clay and Dells probably being biggest records and biggest memory jerkers for me, they were massive there, but always loved this as it started my introduction to the genuius that Oscar Perry was. Just a magical record,Who was the DJ that used to wear the Oscar Perry T-Shirt??

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Am I Grooving You - chuck simmons - move

13931 refosoul

For Mr Darker, and again how good does this sound now, an 80's night anyone!! Penultimate one from me, and last one from the modern (as was) era!!

Great stuff Jock, I was'nt sure whether some of this stuff would stand the test of time, but in strange way it does. This one takes me straight back. Nostalga hey.

I guess there was a bit of a Wigan crossover with Richard, but I always preferred CH. As an independant traveller, living just outside Lincoln, Wigan was always a bit tricky to get to on a Saturday, always an unpredictable welcome from the locals if you know what I mean. It was always hard work trying to get someone to share my Persil ticket! To me in the early days Rotherham rocked it.

No ones mentioned Top Cat (Larry Houston) the place used to bananas when that was dropped.

I'll PM you Jock for sure.

I'd best go and speak to Clare and convince her I have not become a complete nerd.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Guest Kill_a_pig

Anyone mentioned the infamous "Preston Street Dancers" yet?

Great memories for me - it's a close call but my fave record of all from CH must be The Pretenders "Just Be Yourself".

I remeber a DJ saying something like "this is a track for the dancers from Chester Le-Street" before playing Love Is My Destiny by 1-20.

The dancers from Chester Le-Street always congregated at the front right and the epithet stuck.

Fantastic venue and I never missed one.

A personal favourite of mine was "The Natives Are Restless Tonight" Clifford Curry. And on the sixties front "Heartache Souveniers" William Powell.

Social source share

Anyone mentioned the infamous "Preston Street Dancers" yet?

Great memories for me - it's a close call but my fave record of all from CH must be The Pretenders "Just Be Yourself".

I usualy mention em`on CH threads,air horns and all that kinda`stuff allways up for sneakin`in all of em`together scarey stuff when having to stop em`,but great folks and i still see some of them around.

Social source share

Simon's just posted an ever longer list, some corkers on this. Although I'm not entirely convinced that there all bone fide CH spins. Can't remember Anorld Blair being played and a few fall into Cleethorpes mark 2/Bradford category or maybe not, I'm getting confused. The passage of time and all that.

Charles Sherrel was massive. Not heard this in years.

Esquires "what good is music" Its a bit pony.

Charles Mann "Sho nuff no funky stuff"

Prince Phillip Mitchell "one on one"

Laura Lee's version of "Your song"

Frankie Saunders "take another look"

Cognac "How high" spin for Crofty?

Rufus and Chaka "Any love" I'm sure that was massive or was it at Bradford.

Back to the 60s

Trade Martin "you know what I like" Big for Richard.

As was The Q "thats the way its gonna be".

My favourite is Jimmy Bo Horne's "If you want my love" can't remember the cover up name but was massive. I did hear that Colin Curtis had played it a few times at Blackpool back in the day. A stunning record that I never got fed up of hearing.

I feel that I should go tomorrow but I'm not. Still recovering from my gig last night. No doubt see you at Tats 50th.

Regards

Alan

Certain Arnold Blair was never played at CH and you are corrrect, many on the list were Cleethorpes/Bradford spins rather than CH (Although Simon did say spins from that era rather than at CH. Trade Martin ? Are you thinking of Richards Emanuel Laskey acetate ?

Social source share

Hi Alan

Good thinking mate...

Al Johnson "It's not too late"....................... Definitely played by Me! (I don't recall Poke playing it, but he may have done).

Patches "I'm gonna make this world a better place"............... Bought from Sam. Played by Me

"Am I grooving you" .........................Chuck Simmons. Played by Poke and then Me (and prob Steve M).

"A little extra stroke" George Jackson................. Bought from sam. Played by Me... and I think Richard?

Also... just remembered Donny Gerard "He's Always Somewhere Around" my old Milt Matthews C/Up that I used to always play right after Al Johnson.

Tasty!

Keep 'em coming Alan

:wicked:

Sean

BTW

You coming to Rotherham tomorrow night?

I had Chuck Simmons and George Jackson fairly soon after Sam from John Anderson. RS never played George Jackson at CH. That was me :lol: .

Anybody remember "Work on It" on Jamilla Records.

Social source share

Certain Arnold Blair was never played at CH and you are corrrect, many on the list were Cleethorpes/Bradford spins rather than CH (Although Simon did say spins from that era rather than at CH. Trade Martin ? Are you thinking of Richards Emanuel Laskey acetate ?

Hi Steve,

The record I'm thinking of is "you know what I like" and sound a bit like Marvin Gaye "Can I get a witness" same rhythm at least. I always thought it was played as uncredited and years later Richard did play it on the wireless and I pretty sure it was then credited as unreleased Trade Martin. I will ask him next time I see him. Whilst I have the nerd gene I'm never entirely sure about these matters.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Hi Steve,

The record I'm thinking of is "you know what I like" and sound a bit like Marvin Gaye "Can I get a witness" same rhythm at least. I always thought it was played as uncredited and years later Richard did play it on the wireless and I pretty sure it was then credited as unreleased Trade Martin. I will ask him next time I see him. Whilst I have the nerd gene I'm never entirely sure about these matters.

Regards Alan

Pretty sure we are talking about the same record Alan. It was on a 10" acetate. I've got a tape of Soul Sauce (Radio Hallam) with him saying its Emanuel Laskey, although that could have been the cover up name.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Pretty sure we are talking about the same record Alan. It was on a 10" acetate. I've got a tape of Soul Sauce (Radio Hallam) with him saying its Emanuel Laskey, although that could have been the cover up name.

Yes, same record. It was a 10" acetate and credited to Emanuel Laskey at the time...... thumbsup.gif

Social source share

You know what I like. - emanuel laskey -

14067 refosoul

Brill,i`m sure i must have heard this since clifton hall, instant recognition or does someone else do it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert