Motown label ?

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Thanks Karl.

I am trying to establish if it's UK, as it states on Discogs, as the submitters can't be bothered to confirm and thought (with the better knowledge on here I might get some help as it looks odd for a UK release as I am sure you will agree, hopefully)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

2 hours ago, The Yank said:

According to discogs, the "Greatest Hits" album was 1st issued in the U.K. in 1972, the label you show goes to the 1973 U.K.  reissue of the album. Here's what the original label looked like - 

72.jpg

Thanks, I don't understand why it would be reissued on the label I posted unless it is a US import into the UK ? I am beginning to think it's even possibly an Asian bootleg LP, it's just a really odd pressing for a UK one with US numbers (Catalogue and Matrix), but no P or C / Printer on sleeve etc

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

It is definitely NOT as U.S. import- there is no such thing as the Tamla-Motown label in America. According to Terry Wilson's "Tamla Motown.....U.K. singles" book - the label shown appears to have been used from December, 1972 to October, 1973. I agree it is strange there is no " Made in Gt. Britain" on the label .

Here's is the photo used on discogs for the 1973 pressing- 

73.jpg

Social source share

7 minutes ago, The Yank said:

It is definitely NOT as U.S. import- there is no such thing as the Tamla-Motown label in America. According to Terry Wilson's "Tamla Motown.....U.K. singles" book - the label shown appears to have been used from December, 1972 to October, 1973. I agree it is strange there is no " Made in Gt. Britain" on the label .

Here's is the photo used on discogs for the 1973 pressing- 

73.jpg

That is the image I posted at the start of the thread and thanks for confirming it's not an import and IMHO I do not believe that any UK Press would be missing the info discussed and then use USA numbers, so I am starting to lean more to an Asian bootleg release, something is amiss (whatever the submitter on Discogs listed, like me, they can be wrong)

Social source share

27 minutes ago, Premium Stuff said:

The clue appears to be in the copyright wording around the edge The Gramophone Co Ltd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_Company

R

Like here/this ?

270943935_Capturedecran2021-10-02a22_58_21.png.189fcbb0e89251d5ac32d513616cbbff.png

And I find the OP typo pretty close of this Holland 1973 pressing here below. I believe to remember at one time that they went on to have one pressing for this first 'mini europe' of 3 countries (Benelux). I don't like them looks, mastering and pressings so I can't be certain as I don't own any of those post 1970 Belgium or Holland or Be-Ne-Lux pressings to attest that theory. But it's a memory thing like it was told to me by collectors or something.

1799916891_Capturedecran2021-10-02a23_05_53.png.c833a6c019ac13448d87191fccdd4b67.png

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

topic here on emi etc

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/emi-group-uk-labels-details-the-definitive-thread.350215/

bit about out sourcing pressings to other countries round about 1973 may be of interest

Also the Hiatus at Hayes, caused by production issues ( a building closure ) and not as i understand the oil crisis ( although the co-incidence is interesting ) as far as Beatles pressings were concerned was probably much shorter, end of 1973 through much of 1974 and this did not only affect Beatles records, much of the back cat was farmed out, and not just to France either, you get French DSOM's german made in Japan's, I even have an American ( yes an American !! ) Surpemes greatest hits on Tamla motown. All were pressed abroad and sold in UK in UK sleeves.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Source said:

topic here on emi etc

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/emi-group-uk-labels-details-the-definitive-thread.350215/

bit about out sourcing pressings to other countries round about 1973 may be of interest

But that's all talking about UK pressings only or the UK market thing if ever. The world is actually much wider. The OP LP pressing here is not a UK one. Nor necessarely pressed outside the UK for the UK market FWIW. If in the sixties UK presses were made for the export market (Commonwealth), the opposite is not necessarely true.

What is very true is that the establishment of the Tamla Motown company in the UK first allowed the Berry Gordy's production sales, promotion and marketing outside of the USA under one banner. And that gave us a more coherent artistry direction in the packaging for the greater pleasure of collectors. With a lot of local colors.

Bagged pressings in foreign or local sleeve that's actualy an old practice. Quote : Also the Hiatus at Hayes, caused by production issues... ...you get French DSOM's german made in Japan's, I even have an American ( yes an American !! ) Surpemes greatest hits on Tamla motown. All were pressed abroad and sold in UK in UK sleeves.

There can be many resons for doing that. Not only shortage or pressing plants issues. Prince Buster's firsts UK Blue Beat LP's (compilation of 45's) re-pressed on Islam (with greater mastering) in Jamaica all in UK sleeves. First (Tamla) UK Orioles sold in Belgium w/pictures sleeves... Admittingly that OP on SH rekon it can be very tricky.

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!