Frankie and the Classicals

Go to solution Solved by Chalky,

Hi All,

I’m considering buying a few records one of which is What Shall I Do by Frankie and the Classicals on. White Calla label. 
AB5954EB-A17F-494D-B226-57FF69A2B194.jpeg.be280b2e108933518e8582fbd1579e72.jpeg

I’m being advised by the guy selling them that the track is a demo & he’s pointed me to a Discogs listing showing it as a legitimate release, whereas 45 Cat has it as a bootleg. Also I thought the Calla demo was blue & white?

He’s asking legit copy prices, so I’d appreciate some pointers

Thanks in advance 

Social source share

3 minutes ago, The Yank said:

I know discogs has the promo as legitimate but, I have my doubts. I've seen the white and blue label promos and the regular white and red label promos but not a white label. I can't remember seeing any other white label Calla promos either. 

Anyone else ??

Like you I have my doubts, no engineer initials which with them being on the issue you'd expect on the promo....I guess?  Don't recall seeing a white promo for other Calla releases either

• Thanks 1
Social source share

37 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

Some of the Jamaican issues on calla look iffy but are authentic. Wonky lettering ect, think they did some green and red ones? 

Screenshot_20220102-214926.png

Screenshot_20220102-214753.png

Same typeface as the 70s reissue of If you Ask Me...that scan is hardly anything to judge authenticity by though and not much to go on on discogs, nothing one 45 cat.  The other only other Jerry Williams Jamaican release is a different type f ace altogether. 

Social source share

10 hours ago, Geeselad said:

I'm just saying, it's quite a big catalogue, with some odd variations especially the Jamaican, might be worth exploring discogs to see if there's plain demo's.  

Discogs is showing the release as legit, but as a US  origin

if it is a Jamaican release I’ll probably pass on it. A lot of the early Jamaican pressed Ska records I have are poor quality pressings, not sure if it’s the vinyl or the pressing machines, but VG+ seems to be as good as it gets & the guy selling this is claiming it to be NM

Social source share

• Solution
35 minutes ago, Ageing Face said:

Discogs is showing the release as legit, but as a US  origin

if it is a Jamaican release I’ll probably pass on it. A lot of the early Jamaican pressed Ska records I have are poor quality pressings, not sure if it’s the vinyl or the pressing machines, but VG+ seems to be as good as it gets & the guy selling this is claiming it to be NM

Discogs doesn't get everything right, it relies on user (you or I) input for all its information.  It will only mark something as unofficial or bootleg if there is evidence and enough vote on it.  I would leave well alone and go for one of the two releases of What Shall I Do that you know are real for certain.

The so called Jamaican Jerry Williams looks juts as dodgy or a 70s reissue, where does it state it is Jamaican?

Edited by Chalky
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!