Temptations - Witchcraft (for your love)

Mikehump

This tune popped up on my PC on random play. Very nice and Its become a bit of an ear-worm

After a bit of googling it appears to only be available on a 5 x CD "Emperors of Soul" compilation.

Has it ever has a vinyl press (legal, not legal, white label)?

Anyone know.

Mike 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wiggyflat said:

There you go....its a bit crackly. I have 2 Jobete acetates like this with a handful of unreleased cuts and some raw versions of tracks.  

Wonderful piece of history,proving The Temptations were the best with or without David Ruffin.It so sad that Paul Williams was pushed to the background once David Ruffin joined them. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mikehump said:

Thanks a a very nice thing to own. Have to wonder who, of the many possible greats, handled that disc.

I have a listen and compare to the CD cut that just arrived. I wonder who has the acetate below?

Mike 

image.png.a3d2cef06f6ab4c98876c505efb04cac.png

That doesn't look real to me, I'd be very, very surprised if the above label really existed.............it looks like the words 'ACETATE', 'WITCHCRAFT' and 'THE TEMPTATIONS' have been added to a label scan using photoshop (or similar software).  Very easy to acheive with photoshop on a 'worn' scanned Gordy label of that era.

All the Motown and related acetates I've owned or ever seen have been like Wiggyflat's label in his scan/video.............plain(ish) paper or 'proper' studio acetate label with typewriter 'type' text.

Any other ideas anyone?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

42 minutes ago, Mot said:

That doesn't look real to me, I'd be very, very surprised if the above label really existed.............it looks like the words 'ACETATE', 'WITCHCRAFT' and 'THE TEMPTATIONS' have been added to a label scan using photoshop (or similar software).  Very easy to acheive with photoshop on a 'worn' scanned Gordy label of that era.

All the Motown and related acetates I've owned or ever seen have been like Wiggyflat's label in his scan/video.............plain(ish) paper or 'proper' studio acetate label with typewriter 'type' text.

Any other ideas anyone?

You are spot on,the style of this song is not that of HDH either. I think this was recorded about the same time as i want a love i can see. 

Social source share

11 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

You are spot on,the style of this song is not that of HDH either. I think this was recorded about the same time as i want a love i can see. 

William Stevenson-Robert Hamilton, recorded in 1963

Witchcraft (William Stevenson-Robert Hamilton) published Jobete

alt title: Witchcraft (For Your Love)

The Temptations; recorded Hitsville, 1963 ; produced by William Stevenson, Robert Hamilton ; [odb on Lee & the Leopards, lead Paul Williams]

[pressing date unknown] [acetate]; LP (M): JD 099
20-Sep-94; CD (M): Motown 530 338 2 Emperors Of Soul

11 hours ago, Mikehump said:

Well, I lifted it off of YouTube so it could easily be a homemade - I hadn't noticed but "Withcraft" is spelt incorrectly.

It is definitely a fake

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!