Track Identification

Lambrettacraig

Went to the 6Ts Anniversay night at the 100 club last weekend and heard Joel Maslin play something that caught my ear! 
It was a bit busy to jump up behind the decks and take a quick look, but he’s played it quite a bit recently and I managed to find it on a M-XCLOUD set he did, back on 6th May 2020. (The Soul Exchange Set 007). It kicks off around 10:38 and comes in with the Horn Section. Very R&B ish…

Any help identifying it would be greatly appreciated…TIA

Social source share

5 hours ago, Simon T said:

Looking closer at the credits on this record I never liked, and seeing two Despenzas who aren't producer, Barry, AND always wondering who Chicago singer "Paulette" was, I wonder if she was Barry's sister-in-law, as "P. Despenza" wrote the song (could that be Paulette Despenza?), and  a W. S. Despenza, produced it, rather than Barry.  But Despan Music was Barry's own in-house publishing company.  I'll have to admit that I never met Barry, or knew anyone who knew him well.  So I don't know anything about his family.

Can anyone here fill me in?

Social source share

20 minutes ago, Robbk said:

Looking closer at the credits on this record I never liked, and seeing two Despenzas who aren't producer, Barry, AND always wondering who Chicago singer "Paulette" was, I wonder if she was Barry's sister-in-law, as "P. Despenza" wrote the song (could that be Paulette Despenza?), and  a W. S. Despenza, produced it, rather than Barry.  But Despan Music was Barry's own in-house publishing company.  I'll have to admit that I never met Barry, or knew anyone who knew him well.  So I don't know anything about his family.

Can anyone here fill me in?

Yes it is Paulette Despenza

Social source share

21 hours ago, Chalky said:

Yes it is Paulette Despenza

Thanks.  But was she Barry's wife, sister, daughter, or sister-in-law (wife of Barry's brother, whose name starts with a "W", and who produced the record, or his niece(daughter of his brother, "W.S.)?  Or is "W.S. Despenza" actually Barry, with those as his legal name initials, and "Barry" is his middle name, or a nickname? 

Social source share

6 hours ago, Robbk said:

Thanks.  But was she Barry's wife, sister, daughter, or sister-in-law (wife of Barry's brother, whose name starts with a "W", and who produced the record, or his niece(daughter of his brother, "W.S.)?  Or is "W.S. Despenza" actually Barry, with those as his legal name initials, and "Barry" is his middle name, or a nickname? 

W=William. He moved out of Chicago in the mid 70's and went to Florida...Clearwater i think.

He is not Barry.

Edited by Kenb
Social source share

7 hours ago, Robbk said:

I did read she is a sister in law or something like that, I only read it a day or two ago but can’t find where now 🙄

12 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Knew post Stafford but didn't know '87. Played it to death 

There is a recording of Notts Palais on the tube with Sam playing it, 1978 if memory serves.  It could have only been a brief spin as it remained relatively unknown.  Still a pretty rare record and probably suffered because of that. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!