Motown collection.

Davey S

Hi Dave 

Well let's try and sort out your query

Black label British releases 501 to about 1050 roughly 550 singles 

Then you can double this if you want to include Demo's 

From around 1050 to 1446 ish are on blue motown when the company moved to LA, and same again double this if you want to include demo's and 12inch releases

Roughly 501 to 1446, 945 British releases 

This is not including Stateside, Tamla, Motown, Soul, Gordy, VIP, Mowest, demo's it's quite a long list with many variations 

Hope this helps 

Dave 

Social source share

He states that he bought the collection in the early 80s, so assuming it was before the consolidated series, there were about 1,500 US 45 releases at that point. Multiply that by label variations and promos and the number is a lot higher, but probably not in the tens of thousands, at least not with just US releases. 

Edited by Nick Soule
Social source share

A friend of mine needs 9 demos to finish the set (British tmgs) and he as most of the hard ones all the eps and albums  but would still  be quite expensive to finish the set but they are lovely to look through and handle might sound a bit wrong but a red and white looks fantastic on a spinning turntable 

If you are collecting the TMGs good luck with your hunting 

Atb yocky 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hi Yocky 

Myself and the missus ain't seen you for a few years now. 

How's your missus, hopefully she's OK. 

Black tamla motown nos 508, 512, 514, 521, 544, 551, 554, 561, 580, 720, 843, and 867

I know 720 is Demo only and missed off the couple of 800s.

Do your best for me mate 

Hope to see you soon buddy 

Dave KTF 

Social source share

51 minutes ago, Davey S said:

Had a brief look on 45cat and worldwide you are possibly looking at (45s only ) roughly 4000 releases give or take from what I can make out so a huge label to collect. 

Plus lps.

The US label is one of the most complicated to collect if you are bothered about what is in the runout groove, different matrix etc.

Social source share

I initially thought  tens of thousands was way over the top , however ,  when you take all the different presses ,demos , and there must also be several thousand releases from places other than the U.S.  and UK, Not to mention Album releases Worldwide , it soon starts to add up . 

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Carty said:

I initially thought  tens of thousands was way over the top , however ,  when you take all the different presses ,demos , and there must also be several thousand releases from places other than the U.S.  and UK, Not to mention Album releases Worldwide , it soon starts to add up . 

Yep I bet you'd be over 10,000

Social source share

14 hours ago, Dave Evans said:

Hi Yocky 

Myself and the missus ain't seen you for a few years now. 

How's your missus, hopefully she's OK. 

Black tamla motown nos 508, 512, 514, 521, 544, 551, 554, 561, 580, 720, 843, and 867

I know 720 is Demo only and missed off the couple of 800s.

Do your best for me mate 

Hope to see you soon buddy 

Dave KTF 

Pmd you dave cheers yocky 

Social source share

6 hours ago, Zoomsoulblue said:

I did hear a rumour late 70ts that Tony Blackman had the complete set on black and a large number of demos - 🤔

I am sure I have heard him say on radio 2 that he has no vinyl whatsoever and was quite happy to get rid of them all

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!