Articles: Chuck Cockerham - A Brief Interview

Chalky

4 hours ago, Owd Codger said:

Circa 1986, I swapped my copy of Chuck Cockerham on Mala for 2 cassette tapes of unissued Motown and some Northern tracks ( value about £2) with Dave Withers on an indoor market stall ( Alfeck's Palace) Manchester.

Dave never mentioned that to me.

I found a copy in a shop in Asheville N.C. sometime in late 80's or early 90's which I sold to Richard Searling for £8. Sounded like something he could play at Parkers.

Me and Alex Jones went back to Asheville shop maybe mid 90's as there were a lot of albums in there and we figured we may get a deal for buying a lot [which we did],

45s on show hadn't really changed but as we were pulling out albums I leaned against what I thought was a wall and fell into a room full of 60's promos. $3 each and tons of good stuff.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

Dave never mentioned that to me.

Maybe not, probably my trade was unimportant to him, but my connection to this 45 dates from around 1970-72 so it was very personal  item to me and I know it's history  (i.e.  years loving the record but unable to persuade my friend to swap, and years later getting possession of his copy) and what I eventually did with it (Very Reluctantly too). This was before the record gained recognition I presume.......as to when the NS scene discovered it I do not know, but my friend ( a member of this web site) had it around 1970-74 period.

I can tell you that , when trading it, I asked Dave Withers did he know it , and suggested to him to play it there and then.. He replied that he didn't, and it was obvious after a few bars, he approved. He was either a magnificent poker player, or he genuinely didn't know it. There would probably be no reason for him to remember it....to me , it is imprinted on my memory.

I was sad to let it go but at the time, as a lapsed Motown collector, was thrilled to get this tape of Motown unissued ( Suspicion, Love starved heart, Keep Steppin;, After the rain etc ).

Edited by Owd Codger
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Can't exactly remember when I traded it, but  somewhere around1986-87  would probably cover it I think.

From first hearing it, and occasionally borrowing it, in about 1971-72, I eventually got it in a batch of 45s my friend sold me...that would be around 1985/6......

So, after loving the record, and wanting it for years....I traded it within months . 

I guess we've all got similar tales

Edited by Owd Codger
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Owd Codger said:

Just been speaking to my friend who seems to think he got the Chuck Cockerham in a Soul Pack from Global Records on Chepstow Street, Manchester. 

He also recalls getting Collette Kelly "City of Fools" in a pack from there too.

Chuck Cockerham would have never gone in a Soul Pack when I was at Global. One-offs were never put in packs, Ed Balbier was paranoid (probably justified) about rarities slipping out that he would sometimes check a box before it was sold. Collette Kelly quite likely as there was thousands of blue Volt and yellow Stax titles in the mid 70s.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Owd Codger said:

Maybe not, probably my trade was unimportant to him, but my connection to this 45 dates from around 1970-72 so it was very personal  item to me and I know it's history  (i.e.  years loving the record but unable to persuade my friend to swap, and years later getting possession of his copy) and what I eventually did with it (Very Reluctantly too). This was before the record gained recognition I presume.......as to when the NS scene discovered it I do not know, but my friend ( a member of this web site) had it around 1970-74 period.

I can tell you that , when trading it, I asked Dave Withers did he know it , and suggested to him to play it there and then.. He replied that he didn't, and it was obvious after a few bars, he approved. He was either a magnificent poker player, or he genuinely didn't know it. There would probably be no reason for him to remember it....to me , it is imprinted on my memory.

I was sad to let it go but at the time, as a lapsed Motown collector, was thrilled to get this tape of Motown unissued ( Suspicion, Love starved heart, Keep Steppin;, After the rain etc ).

Interesting read’ I bet you wish you kept it as the price is astronomical these days 

Social source share

8 hours ago, Owd Codger said:

Just been speaking to my friend who seems to think he got the Chuck Cockerham in a Soul Pack from Global Records on Chepstow Street, Manchester. 

He also recalls getting Collette Kelly "City of Fools" in a pack from there too.

Soul packs from Global Records always had interesting 45s I once got Martha Starr Loves only Solution’ which wasn’t well known at the time ‘ happy days 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!