Bbc - The One Show - Northern Soul Segment - July 2023

Mike
Message added by Source Team,

Offtopic post dropped 

QUOTE >> My memory is not what it once was but wearing a black fist round one's neck and one racing glove was a thing for some in the early days, maybe pre-Wigan. 

Guys who attended the Mojo in Sheffield in 1966/67 would wear black skin tight leather gloves.

Mojo shut in Sept 67 & the crowd moved onto venues like the Nite Owl, Bin Lid, Crystal Bowl, Wheel, etc. After the 68 Olympics, they started wearing just the one glove. 

Social source share

7 hours ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

I'm thinking you've got the wrong end of the stick here.

My memory is not what it once was but wearing a black fist round one's neck and one racing glove was a thing for some in the early days, maybe pre-Wigan. Think that arose from the Black Power movement in the US  and that one iconic moment where the Black athlete raised a salute on the podium during the Olympics [1968 ?].

I'm guessing the white fists are meant to show solidarity as in White and Black together but unaware of the connotations with Aryan ideology in the USA.

Something that always stuck in my mind was the girl appearing in one of the many documentaries talking about her experience of Wigan. It was a respite from the everyday racism she experienced in Scotland. Can't remember her name now and she died some years back but some on here will remember her.

I think you might mean Fran Franklin, Scottish girl R.I.P.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!