Open your ears and your minds

Chalky

4 hours ago, Kenb said:

Ralphie D= may well have been Italian/Amercan from Florida...and potentially a radio D.J. from that area

Cheers Ken, and thanks guys.

Ken I found a video on YT, of a guy called Ralphie D being interviewed, in fact he's all over the net, and I should have recognised him with my house head on. This chap was a resident at Odyssey 2001 Disco, Brooklyn, in 1977? Same guy?

What's interesting here, for me at least, and I'm not saying this is the same guy, but this chap states he had a certain release on NU Groove Records, 'Major Problems - Overdose' a classic house track, has echos of 'GTO - Pure' for those of you who know that record.

This all might be a BIG Stretch to be honest given his age, but you never know, if Toni Basil can do it!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Mal C said:

Cheers Ken, and thanks guys.

Ken I found a video on YT, of a guy called Ralphie D being interviewed, in fact he's all over the net, and I should have recognised him with my house head on. This chap was a resident at Odyssey 2001 Disco, Brooklyn, in 1977? Same guy?

What's interesting here, for me at least, and I'm not saying this is the same guy, but this chap states he had a certain release on NU Groove Records, 'Major Problems - Overdose' a classic house track, has echos of 'GTO - Pure' for those of you who know that record.

This all might be a BIG Stretch to be honest given his age, but you never know, if Toni Basil can do it!

I love propositions like that, nu- groove was a new York label, but I love the idea. I know both tracks very well, GTO was ace at the time a regular play @ Shelly's. The club you mentioned was the night club used in Saturday night fever, wasn't it? 

Edited by Geeselad
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Sjclement said:

I see this Willie Hutch penned stormer  has begun to appear on you tube which will help people get behind it (or its  the kiss of death) don't overlook their other offerings for the label  p.s. watch your speakers if playing  out it's a very bassy mix 

I've played 'down in the ghetto ', heard it played out a few times lately too. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, Mal C said:

Guess you mean this guy ... SEE PIC ...

if so, he would have been about 6 years old when the 20th Century 45's were released ... 

GazaFlag.jpg

Social source share

9 hours ago, Geeselad said:

I love propositions like that, nu- groove was a new York label, but I love the idea. I know both tracks very well, GTO was ace at the time a regular play @ Shelly's. The club you mentioned was the night club used in Saturday night fever, wasn't it? 

Yes I think it was, a club with alot to answer for!  Played 'Pure' last night, and got all excited, it was massive that summer wasn’t it, you could not go anywhere without hearing it, was on every cassette tape, in every car, on every motorway, every weekend ! laughing

Ok, returning the cabin back to the Soul side...two of the many Fontella classics...

All Fontella's sides for Paula are brilliant, I especially like this one.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2023 at 10:30, Shinehead said:

Why not add 10 records of affordable underplayed records each that the posters on this thread  think would give the the big money records a run at a   upfront nighter.

I don't wish to sound like an ignorant git , or a shit stirrer , I offered 1 tune , and obviously others 1 or 2 , but did anybody over possibly 3 threads , take up the challenge of 10 records , if not it's all round to Chalkys ,,,, 

There's been a few topics over the last 2 weeks or so and before , and it does seem like rarity wether good or bad has been at the fore , but still no 10 records that would fill a dance floor for half a set , here's my no 2 , cost £3-99. Just weeks 3 ago , sold it years past and always wanted another , 8 to go lol

Edited by Happy Feet
Social source share

On 24/09/2023 at 22:59, Geeselad said:

Despite hating playlists here goes, pulled at random from me box, could of listed 100 tbh. Bit of a mix but with an eye on a prospective dance- flu-er. 

Benny latimore- I got news for you

Helen curry - I want you, I need you

Johnny Newbag- got to get you back (another tim spun the other week)

Frankie coe- get it jerk

Keanya Collins - it ain't no secret

Johnny sayles- anything for you

Barbara and the browns- you don't love me

Sir mack rice- it's alright

Ov wright - ace of spades

Taste of grey- for once in my life

Or you can have slowly molding for the millionth time!

Earlier in the thread

Just now, Geeselad said:

Earlier in the thread

Happy feet

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!