EDDIE PARKER

"Back in the Day" (Soul Bowl etc) there was lots of various records available in quantity that are now considered rare and hard to get.

The facts are, that in 2024 Eddie Parker with a large block print Archer stamp is hard to get! That's because any copies in existence are tucked away in hardcore record collections and not laying about in USA record shops or in the record bars of UK venues. If it was common, like people have mentioned, it would come up for sale once in a while. I haven't seen a proper one, on any of the major dealers lists or private sales for years!

Edited by Solidsoul
Social source share

17 hours ago, Solidsoul said:

"Back in the Day" (Soul Bowl etc) there was quantity amounts of lots of various records, that are now considered rare and hard to get.

The facts are, that in 2024 Eddie Parker with a large block print Archer stamp is hard to get! That's because any copies in existence are tucked away in hardcore record collections and not laying about in USA record shops. If it was common, like people have mentioned, it would come up for sale once in a while. I haven't seen a proper one, on any of the major dealers lists for years!

There are plenty of common records that are hard to get, they are now scarce with insufficient copies to meet any demand.  No one was disputing that Eddie Parker was "hard to get", we was disputing the claim made by you and Frankie as to how many copies there actually was.  I said myself earlier in the topic it was stuck in collections, too good to sell.  It has been up for sale once in a while too, maybe not on major dealers lists. Just because you haven't seen one doesn't mean one hasn't sold. There are other ways records are sold.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 29/02/2024 at 09:59, Chalky said:

He wouldn't go to the trouble of demos and then only a few issues, the costs would be far too high.  They were after all trying to make money.  Jack did say to me yesterday that he thought the record was ahead of its time.

Liking this thread the more I read it. So far, contributors have intimated that Eddie Parker 1st pressings with the large even Archer stamp are rare, scarce, numerous but in collections, widely available back in the day etc etc but clearly there is no consensus.

As this record was (another contentious assertion coming up) probably the first Wigan spin to go ballistic with record buyers prompting the various bootleg pressings, it’s probably true to say that the bulk of surviving originals are in the boxes of British collectors and therefore rarely seen for sale.

Now back to the Archer plant in October 1968. Jack Ashford wants to press his record and needs promo copies to distribute to Detroit radio stations. This is a costly business and there is no guarantee the record will be spun by DJ’s. Jack opts for a minimum press run, say 200 copies. Perhaps some of the run are given green labels, who knows, but think outside the box. Norman Archer’s business is inundated with orders, after all, it’s Detroit 1968 and the Archer plant is the first and probably the only facility of its kind in the city. For some reason, Archer only do a small run, like many other US plants pressing minor labels. Jack and Lorraine having faith in their great record, decide to press up a larger quantity but choose to use another pressing plant as Archer can not meet their needs. And so the 3w’s variant (as I’m now terming it) is born early in 1969.

The Archer October 1968 pressing is the original issue but the early 1969 3w’s pressing or reissue may have been the main bulk pressing hence this discussion. 

EF793110-1F9C-4C9D-8FB5-DE60DF217448.png

249CF410-9F33-4F66-BCF3-591F618A4953.jpeg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Just found my copy. Only markings in deadwax are A-1-A and something that looks like NSG in a circle ( scratched in).  B side has the same but the A-1-A has the B over the A ( if that makes sense?)

It's styrene. Is this the legitimate reissue?

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Julianb said:

Just found my copy. Only markings in deadwax are A-1-A and something that looks like NSG in a circle ( scratched in).  B side has the same but the A-1-A has the B over the A ( if that makes sense?)

Boot i'm afraid.

Social source share

8 hours ago, Julianb said:

The legitimate reissue has the 3w’s scribed in the run-out

Social source share

9 hours ago, Julianb said:

Never seen a styrene copy with the large green "a" label design. Is that what you have?

Regards,  Carl

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!