Dave Godin - Proms

Interesting that Godin was encouraging soul people to “spread the faith”. Much of the discussion on this forum recently seems to be about keeping the “scene” more underground and exclusive. Wonder what he would make of the NS Proms etc that has produced such a scandalised reaction on here.

(NB I remain strictly neutral on this issue, not having been part of the early scene myself.)

Social source share

1 hour ago, Magpie69 said:

Interesting that Godin was encouraging soul people to “spread the faith”. Much of the discussion on this forum recently seems to be about keeping the “scene” more underground and exclusive. Wonder what he would make of the NS Proms etc that has produced such a scandalised reaction on here.

(NB I remain strictly neutral on this issue, not having been part of the early scene myself.)

Hi Magpie

When Godin was encouraging spread the faith, that was then when NS was bursting through as a Musical force on the back of the 1960,s Soul and RnB scene, it had not at that time evolved to the Scene that probably hit its heights, and this is subjective  around the late 1980,s and early 90,s it then in some cases fracture, became watered down , diluted and a caricature  of its former self, not for everybody, but to people coming in to the NS at that time they would have had maybe a different outlook than a lot of us on here and it obviously doesn’t and wouldn’t reach the heights we experienced in our time , So Godin and everybody else didn’t really know where NS would end up in 2024, I can only take a guess that Godin would have been in agreement with a lot of the reaction to the way NS has made its journey.

PS,for All promoters switch off most off the lights in your venue, keep all doors closed and turn up the volume on the music, it’s simple and it works.

KR

ML

• Up vote 3
Social source share

38 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Think he would be mortified, all the columns he wrote that I read his dislike of any plagiarism of black music was clear. So I think he would take the same stance as most on here have.

As for spreading the faith

Godin took great delight in black artists getting recognition and money in their pockets, he had no problems with reissues and positively endorsed them.

I agree he would have been shocked if he read some of the abuse and trolling that has been done. The faith should be spread and youngsters encouraged but no one will stand by nor should they and accept the behaviour shown. 

Social source share

58 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I agree he would have been shocked if he read some of the abuse and trolling that has been done. The faith should be spread and youngsters encouraged but no one will stand by nor should they and accept the behaviour shown. 

Who was trolling who I do not do facebook so not seen any but with your post it obviously happens.

Social source share

The posts above have been split off from this article comments

as per last time with this subject (proms)  , ask all members to try and keep things worthwhile, no repetition  or off topic posts/ jokes etc etc.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!