Seashells on USA eBay

Go to solution Solved by Dave Pinch,

Posted (edited)

It's a nice record that has been played on the scene from time to time, but that price is just extracting the Michael!

Also I am beginning to hate it when sellers on ebay use the A.I.  option to make the descriptions on items for sale. It creates a massive  load of unnecessary waffle😠 

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

13 hours ago, Solidsoul said:

Β 

Also I am beginning to hate it when sellers on ebay use the A.I.  option to make the descriptions on items for sale. It creates a massive  load of unnecessary waffle😠 

I was just thinking the same, what a load of bollocks

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Dave Pinch said:

had this on tape 35 years ago.. i can remember seeing it for south of Β£100 in the 90s but decided to wait til it hit Β£500 before buying oneΒ πŸ™ƒ

Used to get it on a lot of tape swaps at one time in 80s. Jim Wensiora spin then Rob Marriott.Β 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Used to get it on a lot of tape swaps at one time in 80s. Jim Wensiora spin then Rob Marriott.Β 

never heard jim play but saw rob and had tapes from him back then.. cant recall it being on one of his tapes tho.. the tape i had it on was nearly all midtempo stuff altho it did start off with the volumes on Garu

Social source share

On 14/05/2024 at 13:52, Modernsoulsucks said:

It wasn't really the price I was pointing out.

Blurb mentions "backed by renowned Lovelane music" and seller is Lovelanemusicgroup.

Must be backstock directly from Sammy Kaplan's kids or grandchildren.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 23/05/2024 at 11:06, Tricky said:

Pretty sure they are all demos.

Never seen an issue!

We have just spoken to Sammy Kaplan who produced the record and he said that they were all Issues. It was recorded at Terra Shirma Studios with the Funk Brothers on backing. It is his copy that was up for sale.

I hope this helps.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Nicola said:

We have just spoken to Sammy Kaplan who produced the record and he said that they were all Issues. It was recorded at Terra Shirma Studios with the Funk Brothers on backing. It is his copy that was up for sale.

I hope this helps.

That’s what Robbie thought NicolaΒ 

Social source share

9 hours ago, Nicola said:

I hope this helps.

They can’t be issues with plug side on it? Β 

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Chalky said:

They can’t be issues with plug side on it? Β 

I thought that originally , but I assumed that because both sides just show as VR-1000 the 'Plug Side' wording is there to indicate the A-side , along with the general industry standard of promos being white labelled copies.

But I'm certainly not going to argue the toss with the 'horses mouth' , even if the producer is noted on the label as Tommy Moers and Kaplan's only credited as co-writer of the flip , maybe someone's confusing producing with publishing which was done by Sammy's 'Lovelane Music'... ?

Edited by Woodbutcher
Social source share

Thousands of demos were on issue copy labels as well as white labels.

Even in Detroit off the top of my head Parliaments don't be sore at me.Fantastic four can't stop looking for my baby.Edwin Starr my kind of woman.

My personal opinion is Sea Shells demo only. 1 on Discogs/ 7 on popsike.Plus those of us that have copies.

Not a common record really.

Social source share

31 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Thousands of demos were on issue copy labels as well as white labels.

Even in Detroit off the top of my head Parliaments don't be sore at me.Fantastic four can't stop looking for my baby.Edwin Starr my kind of woman.

My personal opinion is Sea Shells demo only. 1 on Discogs/ 7 on popsike.Plus those of us that have copies.

Not a common record really.

I did quite clearly say 'general industry standard' ...Β :thumbsup:

I think that 'thousands of demos on issue copy labels' is over-egging it a bit , the three you mention are all clearly labelled as DJ Copy -Not for resale as well which the Villige 45 lacks.

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

I did quite clearly say 'general industry standard' ...Β :thumbsup:

I think that 'thousands of demos on issue copy labels' is over-egging it a bit , the three you mention are all clearly labelled as DJ Copy -Not for resale as well which the Villige 45 lacks.

I would lean to it being promo only with the plug side text.. if I’m honest I don’t really listen to what artists / label owners say so much as chances are after 50/60 their memory may be muddled and they probably can’t remember what they did last weekend

• Up vote 2
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Sorry didn't mean it to sound like I was having a dig.

All over the states it would run into plenty though.

Those came to mind.I am at work so meant to be working! 🀣

No worries fella , I'm supposed to be clearing brambles in the garden but it's just started raining ... shame that ...Β :no:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Dave Pinch said:

I would lean to it being promo only with the plug side text.. if I’m honest I don’t really listen to what artists / label owners say so much as chances are after 50/60 their memory may be muddled and they probably can’t remember what they did last weekend

It's not just the artists/label owners Dave , there are plenty of folk about that are still spouting the same nonsensical tales they were told at 3am at a niter 40 years ago , whilst off their proverbials.

A larger pinch of salt is needed as every year passes I find.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• Solution
33 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

It's not just the artists/label owners Dave , there are plenty of folk about that are still spouting the same nonsensical tales they were told at 3am at a niter 40 years ago , whilst off their proverbials.

A larger pinch of salt is needed as every year passes I find.

Exactly my friend.. some of the myths taken as gospel particularly 40/ 50 years Β ago can be hard to undo.. that David Cassidy was David and the giants lol.. I’m just off to spin my volumes in uk Pama.. only known copy I believe

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

Exactly my friend.. some of the myths taken as gospel particularly 40/ 50 years Β ago can be hard to undo.. that David Cassidy was David and the giants lol.. I’m just off to spin my volumes in uk Pama.. only known copy I believe

My favourite was someone insisting that Chris Clark - DILYIID was in fact Dave Evison's missus warbling over the FW backing track ...Β :lol:

Edited by Woodbutcher
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

38 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

I bet David would have got in a real "Huff" if he knewΒ πŸ˜€

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

I thought that originally , but I assumed that because both sides just show as VR-1000 the 'Plug Side' wording is there to indicate the A-side , along with the general industry standard of promos being white labelled copies.

But I'm certainly not going to argue the toss with the 'horses mouth' , even if the producer is noted on the label as Tommy Moers and Kaplan's only credited as co-writer of the flip , maybe someone's confusing producing with publishing which was done by Sammy's 'Lovelane Music'... ?

Could be a tax fiddle as tax not paid on demos?

• Up vote 3
Social source share

19 hours ago, Nicola said:

I hope this helps.

Hi - does anyone know the story on the 'yellow' it was mentioned by Gary Brickwood earlier in the thread and I think dismissed but indeed (whilst there is clear evidence of the reds) yes indeed on YouTube there does appear to be a yellow one also marked 'plug side' - so is this picture on you tube real? were some copies yellow? anyone know? (and presumably then if they did exist based on extant copies the yellow would be rarer)

Social source share

35 minutes ago, Striker said:

Hi - does anyone know the story on the 'yellow' it was mentioned by Gary Brickwood earlier in the thread and I think dismissed but indeed (whilst there is clear evidence of the reds) yes indeed on YouTube there does appear to be a yellow one also marked 'plug side' - so is this picture on you tube real? were some copies yellow? anyone know? (and presumably then if they did exist based on extant copies the yellow would be rarer)

I've never found this mythical yellow copy on YT , a very low resolution , washed out orange label image yes but no yellow ...Β :no:

Put a link up to this alleged yellow one please ...Β :thumbsup:

Social source share

1 minute ago, Woodbutcher said:

I've never found this mythical yellow copy on YT , a very low resolution , washed out orange label image yes but no yellow ...Β :no:

Put a link up to this alleged yellow one please ...Β :thumbsup:

Hi Woodbutcher,Β 

it probably will be that one - this is the link, just interested - the red is well documented, and then there is this....

Β 

Social source share

'Tain't yellow whichever way you spin it , just someone's hamfisted attempt to brighten the image , same as the one on Gripsweat.

Hi - I see what you are saying and it could be sun faded red turned orangey yes, bad image and/or edited but on the face of it it looks yellow, - just trying to establish if there ever were any yellow ones, evidence needed, I have no position on this just interested, asking if anyone knows.

Social source share

No yellow copies. A couple of posters on you tube regularly change label colours on their uploads.Threw me at first but when you see label after label with a colour change you realise it’s artistic.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Tricky said:

No yellow copies. A couple of posters on you tube regularly change label colours on their uploads.Threw me at first but when you see label after label with a colour change you realise it’s artistic.

Usually those posting tracks that don't have the actual 45 to play , just an mp3 lifted from the net or a CD , so they have to grab an image wherever they can find it.

Edited by Woodbutcher
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Usually those posting tracks that don't have the actual 45 to play , just an mp3 lifted from the net or a CD.

That’s the norm with a few peopleΒ 

Social source share

10 hours ago, Chalky said:

Could be a tax fiddle as tax not paid on demos?

A very interesting theory!Β  Knowing what some of the record company owners did to save money, I wouldn't be a bit surprised.Β  And, of course, when the record shop owners complained that they got demos instead of store stockers, they would just apologise and claim it was a printing error, but the customers won't even notice the small print.

Social source share

19 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

Usually those posting tracks that don't have the actual 45 to play , just an mp3 lifted from the net or a CD , so they have to grab an image wherever they can find it.

Cheers guys, was just interested, I wasn't suggesting there were any yellows just asking views following thread above, on the prevailing evidence it appears there are only red onesΒ πŸ™‚

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Γ—
Γ—