Trouble In Northants?

Following a bit of a ding dong on the events lookback for Silk in Wellingborough, and the impression it gave that there are warring factions within the County, I thought it appropriate to state the following facts!

Myself and Jem promote Going to a GoGo in the Rushden area. We are great mates with the promoter of Cream Cracker, Rothwell, Kev Such. We DJ for him and vice versa.

We are also on great terms with Trev and Steve of Stompers and Shufflers at Kettering and frequently meet up with them and Kev for a Sunday chill out at the 3 Cocks in Kettering[highly recommended if you are at a loose end, and it's free]

Likewise we are on great terms with Karl Boddington of Desborough and Corby fame. He rarely misses one of our nights and we go to Desborough regularly.

The 2 Wellingborough events, We Got Soul and Soulfull Shack are great little venues run by great guys, namely Jack and Barry, and Mark D. All of whom we respect and get on with brilliantly. Both Jem and myself are regulars at their events.

We also have Paddy Grady putting on different sorts of events across the county and broadcasting a soul show on Radio Northampton. Another sound guy who plugs all of the local events on his show and puts on some great live acts which we go to see as often as possible. Again no problems there.

Lastly we have our mate Len Dopson who has just finished his long running rare soul nights at The Embankment Club and has been jointly promoting Silk nights in Wellingborough. Another top guy that doesn't have a bad bone in his body!

All of the guys mentioned work together on avoiding clashes and where the odd hiccup has occurred in the past it has been talked through and steps taken to avoid a repeat in the future. I know of several occasions when dates have been changed to avoid a clash.

I am not aware of any other major soul events in the county but if I have missed anyone then I do apologise.

Why do I find it neccesary to bore everyone with this? Well, one well known local individual has been undermining most things that we and others in the area are trying achieve. Why? We really have no idea but we have overwhelming evidence to support our case. I am determined to prove that the music is bigger than any individual and call upon all the guys that I have mentioned to come on here and back me up on the FACT that there are no problems between Promoters in Northants!

To quote The Jackson Five 'don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch'

Sorry about the rant, Steve B.

Social source share

• Replies 43
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Why do I find it neccesary to bore everyone with this? Well, one well known local individual has been undermining most things that we and others in the area are trying achieve. Why? We really have no idea but we have overwhelming evidence to support our case. I am determined to prove that the music is bigger than any individual and call upon all the guys that I have mentioned to come on here and back me up on the FACT that there are no problems between Promoters in Northants!

you not using this site to have a go at someone who you havent even got the bollocks to name

wtf do you think you are

wind your f****** neck in

see that door.....

Social source share

Following a bit of a ding dong on the events lookback for Silk in Wellingborough, and the impression it gave that there are warring factions within the County, I thought it appropriate to state the following facts!

Myself and Jem promote Going to a GoGo in the Rushden area. We are great mates with the promoter of Cream Cracker, Rothwell, Kev Such. We DJ for him and vice versa.

We are also on great terms with Trev and Steve of Stompers and Shufflers at Kettering and frequently meet up with them and Kev for a Sunday chill out at the 3 Cocks in Kettering[highly recommended if you are at a loose end, and it's free]

Likewise we are on great terms with Karl Boddington of Desborough and Corby fame. He rarely misses one of our nights and we go to Desborough regularly.

The 2 Wellingborough events, We Got Soul and Soulfull Shack are great little venues run by great guys, namely Jack and Barry, and Mark D. All of whom we respect and get on with brilliantly. Both Jem and myself are regulars at their events.

We also have Paddy Grady putting on different sorts of events across the county and broadcasting a soul show on Radio Northampton. Another sound guy who plugs all of the local events on his show and puts on some great live acts which we go to see as often as possible. Again no problems there.

Lastly we have our mate Len Dopson who has just finished his long running rare soul nights at The Embankment Club and has been jointly promoting Silk nights in Wellingborough. Another top guy that doesn't have a bad bone in his body!

All of the guys mentioned work together on avoiding clashes and where the odd hiccup has occurred in the past it has been talked through and steps taken to avoid a repeat in the future. I know of several occasions when dates have been changed to avoid a clash.

I am not aware of any other major soul events in the county but if I have missed anyone then I do apologise.

Hi Steve

I can honestly say that in all the years (& it has been quite a few!!) I have been promoting in the Northants areas and beyond, I have never had one single problem from any other promoters, far from it, always got on really well and friendly with them!

Dont let it get you down mate, forget about them & the sniping, I do! I will continue to help all I can with pushing local soul nights on my soul show on BBC Radio Northampton, to help keep the local scene going strong in what is normally a very friendly area of the country.

Cheers

Paddy

Social source share

Yep, definitely The Osmonds! Amazingly never a hit not sure if it was released on a 45, anyone?

And yes this is really interesting!!!

Guys it was a BIG hit for The Osmonds!

George Jackson wrote it for The Jacksons who (alledgedly) turned it down... but the Utah Brothers recorded it and it became a massive hit!

Fascinating!

biggrin.gif

Sean

Social source share

George Jackson wrote it for The Jacksons who (alledgedly) turned it down... but the Utah Brothers recorded it and it became a massive hit!

Fascinating!

biggrin.gif

Sean

Sean, when you say massive hit do you mean accross the pond?

As my source of info (guinness book of hit singles) says nothing about it charting on these shores!

The plot thickens!

Pete

Social source share

Fascinating!

biggrin.gif

Sean

Ah, just realised I have been confusing it with "ABC" for years. Now THAT was definately the Jackson Five - wasn't it?

Social source share

Amazingly never a hit not sure if it was released on a 45, anyone?

Five Weeks @ Number 1 and sold 5,000,000 copies.

Probably Rick Hall's / Fame's Biggest hit... and it helped pave the way for tons of 'superior' Soul material from Muscle Shoals.... and George Jackson.

Sean

Social source share

Seems that you and this fella Jem are more monkeys throwing shit, like the ones in the Peterborough zoo.

Only difference is... it's not clear who you're throwing the shit at!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I can see this thread ending with everyone saying goodnight to each other and turning the lights off.

oh bollokcs thats the Waltons huh.gif

Social source share

Cant believe there are so many ""Osmond"" fans on here shades.gif:D:lol:

I think Blues & Soul listed "Apple" in the soul chart before anyone in th UK had seen 'em. Or maybe that's just urban myth. Or Mormon myth.

Little Jimmy's Long Haired Lover from Liverpool was a cover of James Carr song (possibly :lol: )

Godz

Social source share

Five Weeks @ Number 1 and sold 5,000,000 copies.

Probably Rick Hall's / Fame's Biggest hit... and it helped pave the way for tons of 'superior' Soul material from Muscle Shoals.... and George Jackson.

Sean

Sean, as i said later never a hit in uk was what i meant whistling.gif

Social source share

Cant believe there are so many ""Osmond"" fans on here :D:lol::lol:

Crazy Horses ...... thumbsup.gif

A very good POP record ; Marie still incredibly easy on the eye .....

And let's not forget Justin .....

Merrill was the most popular Osmond in South Yorkshire ; they even named a road after him in Thurnscoe ....

Malc Burton

post-5097-1178043566_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Yep, definitely The Osmonds! Amazingly never a hit not sure if it was released on a 45, anyone?

Here you go.

Check out the credits on this baby.

Produced By Rick Hall

Written By George Jackson

Recorded At Fame Studios

Home of the Muscle Shoals Sound

See those credits on any 45... you'd buy it like a shot!

Don't know about UK chart placing / release Peter, but it was hammered in '71 for sure!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

post-4120-1178043117_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

How about promoting an Osmond's nite in Northants. Cant see anybody bitching over that.

Hi Brav

I bet they will!! laugh.gif

Cheers

Paddy

Social source share

Here you go.

Produced By Rick Hall

Recorded At Fame Studios

Don't know about UK chart placing / release Peter, but it was hammered in '71 for sure!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Looks like a boot to me mate.

Social source share

Here you go.

Produced By Rick Hall

Recorded At Fame Studios

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Thanks for that Sean, was suprised to see it didn't chart over here myself as i remember it well,

Pete

Social source share

Here you go.

Produced By Rick Hall

Recorded At Fame Studios

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Didn't break UK till '72

https://www.answers.com/the+osmonds?gwp=11&...53&method=3

Edited by pete60
Social source share

Here you go.

Produced By Rick Hall

Recorded At Fame Studios

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Hi Sean .....

Wasn't the B - Side of " OBA " ( I cannot recall the title ) , picked up on and spun ? .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

No definatley the original.......unless mine's a boot as well :lol:

But I do love Donny rolleyes.gif . Saw them at the Rainbow back in the days.............faultless show, well I was only about 12 :D

QoFxx

So what do you reckon....

Donny....

With Beard or Without?

Any preference?

Sean

Social source share