Talc - Love It Or Loathe It?

OK, this should get a reaction. Talc, I was always a big believer in it, and I used to get very upset when various venues banned it. OK, it made a mess on the floor, but hey, just stick the old vac on it ,and no problemo. Or so I thought........

Last Friday I had my Burnley Allnighter on at The Falcon, in Burnley of course. Now I always leave a couple of containers of Johnsons finest on the stage, so that dancers can help themselves...... Had a fantastic night, and everything went well........

Saturday lunch time I get a phone call from Gary [who runs the Falcon], the conversation goes something like this, "hello" hello Phil it's Gary from the Falcon here. "Hello mate, what can I do for you" I've just had my cleaner going ape shit here. "oh, why what's the problem mate" it's the bloody talc Phil, it is literally everywhere. We are going to have to clean everything, the bar the optics, the glasses, every single surface in the room is covered in white.... It smells bloody lovely, but the mess is unacceptable......

So I went over, and in the cold light of day, the scene was bloody shocking. And his being upset was very understandable. So what do I do? I'm going to have to ban talc or lose the venue. Has anyone else had this problem, and found an alternative? I also had a shock when I was checking my gear. The decks, mixer, and worst of all, the inside of the amps were all white with talc. Just thinking about how much we are breathing in, it can't be doing us any good....

Your thoughts, opinions, and advice please.

Phil.

Social source share

• Replies 92
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Trevski

Hate it! never needed it, to dance. Think it has just become a habit, some people do it because 'I'ts what you do' and don't really need it. I have seen lots of people chuck talc down then just shuffle about, and you can tell by thair style of dancing the talc makes bugger all difference. Might have given a bit of slip for the spinners in the old days, but who really needs it now?

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

There are school's of thought that say talc is carcinogenic and should not be inhaled nor put near orifices although babies have had talcum powdered bottoms for years!

It is said that it can cause lung, skin and ovarian cancers.

Social source share

There are school's of thought that say talc is carcinogenic and should not be inhaled nor put near orifices although babies have had talcum powdered bottoms for years!

========

difficult one...i ALWAYS use talc,,,ruined my nite at the tower in blackpool cuz cudnt spin properly...but see the other side as punter slipped and broke arm at my venue,,,very tricky one,,never thought of the dust side of it...

Social source share

There were a few moans the other week after the 100 Club as a result of a venue without talc.

Someone always smuggles some in somehow, girls handbag maybe.. :lol: Nothing finer than shimmying about in an already recently well covered patch! :lol:

These venue owners also should appreciate that our brogues etc equally require an intensive amount of cleaning after the event. :lol:

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Talc? - its just not needed! My local soul club at Broad Lane, Essington has banned it 'cos it was damaging the floor. Been to loads of venues where i see 'dancers' piling on the talc just to walk around in it! WHY???excl.gif

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Ban the stuff !

Simsy - it has to be confescated from anyone entering the 100 club because the venue owners were threatened with being sued a few years ago after a non-soul slipped on his arse and twisted his ankle. He said the cause of his fall was the talc.

Talc sprinklers don't really think of the consequences ... my jimmy choos ruined (i wish), looking like a drunken bum (the shame of falling arse over elbow on a talc drenched floor at Stoke still haunts me) and yes... ultimately in this glorious compensation culture, it's everyone who ends up loosing out.

Social source share

Ban the stuff !

Simsy - it has to be confescated from anyone entering the 100 club because the venue owners were threatened with being sued a few years ago after a non-soul slipped on his arse and twisted his ankle. He said the cause of his fall was the talc.

Talc sprinklers don't really think of the consequences ... my jimmy choos ruined (i wish), looking like a drunken bum (the shame of falling arse over elbow on a talc drenched floor at Stoke still haunts me) and yes... ultimately in this glorious compensation culture, it's everyone who ends up loosing out.

Oh hell yeah I know that mate. That's why I said 100 is a no talc club. I wasn't doing the moaning other week. Wouldn't condone anyone smuggling any in either. However if they do and it makes it on to the floor, I can't promise you I ain't gonna shimmy! :lol:

Social source share

Chatting with a soul earlier on this very subject and concluded that no such undertaking has as yet reached Xfire (as far as I'm aware) and that consequently the new Johnson's 'Purple Top' really is fab gear! :lol:

1012126.jpg

Come one, come all .. :lol:

Social source share

I don't dance much these days so in that respect it doesn't bother me, but there is something very nostalgic about the smell of johnsons when you walk into a venue. On the other hand with my safety bod hat on it is asking for law suits IMHO.

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest Kolla

I can't promise you I ain't gonna shimmy! :lol:

LOL... and the whiff of Johnson & Johnson's is always better than man-sweat :lol:

Social source share

Guest Kolla

On a more serius note, Kitty is right - a study carried out a few years ago did show that over 50% of ovarian cancer sufferers used talc on a regular basis. Cosmetic grade talcum powder is a carcinogen and it's a bit odd that the EU haven't smacked warning on bottles.

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Half the people I see giving the floor a liberal sprinkling seem to make a mound of talc then stand in it looking like they have entered a competition for who can move their feet least with the most imperceptible of heel and toe movements!!

Social source share

Half the people I see giving the floor a liberal sprinkling seem to make a mound of talc then stand in it looking like they have entered a competition for who can move their feet least with the most imperceptible of heel and toe movements!!

Sounds more interesting than dance contests that.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Talc castles! That's a good game - you subtley pour a bit of you drink (or someone elses's drink) onto the mound and watch as the sprinkler's feet shapes his/her very own talc castle of sludge in just 4 beats. Grrreat.

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Could be a competition....like musical statues/dead lions-and if the talc tempts you to make a move you're out!

Social source share

Guest soul kitten

Loathe it ,also have had trouble at a venue i ran because of it ,owner went ballistic with some innocent person for putting it down ,so he retaliated nearly had to abandon night.

trouble is does nt just go on floor , goes all over he was complaining about curtains and carpets

and why do you need to put down the whole lot at once :lol: find it makes floor lethal like an ice ring or even stickier ,

also why is it always Johnson surely there s some cheaper versions around or is it just another case of what we always did :lol:

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

OK, this should get a reaction. Talc, I was always a big believer in it, and I used to get very upset when various venues banned it. OK, it made a mess on the floor, but hey, just stick the old vac on it ,and no problemo. Or so I thought........

Last Friday I had my Burnley Allnighter on at The Falcon, in Burnley of course. Now I always leave a couple of containers of Johnsons finest on the stage, so that dancers can help themselves...... Had a fantastic night, and everything went well........

Saturday lunch time I get a phone call from Gary [who runs the Falcon], the conversation goes something like this, "hello" hello Phil it's Gary from the Falcon here. "Hello mate, what can I do for you" I've just had my cleaner going ape shit here. "oh, why what's the problem mate" it's the bloody talc Phil, it is literally everywhere. We are going to have to clean everything, the bar the optics, the glasses, every single surface in the room is covered in white.... It smells bloody lovely, but the mess is unacceptable......

So I went over, and in the cold light of day, the scene was bloody shocking. And his being upset was very understandable. So what do I do? I'm going to have to ban talc or lose the venue. Has anyone else had this problem, and found an alternative? I also had a shock when I was checking my gear. The decks, mixer, and worst of all, the inside of the amps were all white with talc. Just thinking about how much we are breathing in, it can't be doing us any good....

Phil.

Hate the stuff ban it...

Social source share

Phil.

I think your leaving the stuff lying round for free aint gonna`help is it,my advice keep your talc to yourself..........but obviously lend me a bit.

NO talc=NO Northern soul.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Fukcin buggin me this,how come it was ok one min and now not ok after 40 or so years of it being ok they`ve are taking our right to smoke,next it`ll be the right to dance.............i think its just a very sad cost cutting exersize,so they can pay the fag police. :fool:

Social source share

On a more serius note, Kitty is right - a study carried out a few years ago did show that over 50% of ovarian cancer sufferers used talc on a regular basis. Cosmetic grade talcum powder is a carcinogen and it's a bit odd that the EU haven't smacked warning on bottles.

In the 70s we used to use powdered french chalk, I realise that it would cause the similar dust/cleaning problems etc but is it as dangerous with respect to carcinogenics?

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

if you take any pride in your appearence then you'd never use it , looks bloody awful walking out of a venue with talc halfway up your legs ...

the answer is simple WEAR PROPER SHOES !!!!!

Social source share

if you take any pride in your appearence then you'd never use it , looks bloody awful walking out of a venue with talc halfway up your legs ...

the answer is simple WEAR PROPER SHOES !!!!!

Propper shoes?pride?appearance?i`m orf`dancin`not a fukcin`intervue :P

Social source share

Guest barnsey

Fukcin buggin me this,how come it was ok one min and now not ok after 40 or so years of it being ok they`ve are taking our right to smoke,next it`ll be the right to dance.............i think its just a very sad cost cutting exersize,so they can pay the fag police. :fool:

stopping you dancing allready happend ken and this is not a joke steve cato run a soul nite at the old steam brewery years ago and the place lost its dance license so you could still play the tunes but there was some bloke from the council poping in and out of the room all nite checking for people dancing.the world going mad to many misery arsed do gooders who don,t know how to enjoy themselves trying to stop thouse who do.

Social source share

Guest barnsey

In the 70s we used to use powdered french chalk, I realise that it would cause the similar dust/cleaning problems etc but is it as dangerous with respect to carcinogenics?

QoFxx

no only dangerous to the french you have to grind down to make the chalk

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

QoFxx

I think it's similar Chrissie....blimey it's a minefield!

Social source share

stopping you dancing allready happend ken and this is not a joke steve cato run a soul nite at the old steam brewery years ago and the place lost its dance license so you could still play the tunes but there was some bloke from the council poping in and out of the room all nite checking for people dancing.the world going mad to many misery arsed do gooders who don,t know how to enjoy themselves trying to stop thouse who do.

And some might say i`m a bit paranoid unsure.gif jobs worthy award for councils i think,pathetic should march on downing street and talc the whole place up :P i mean since the famous talc attakc in parliament the goverment are over sencitive/paranoid. ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

And some might say i`m a bit paranoid unsure.gif jobs worthy award for councils i think,pathetic should march on downing street and talc the whole place up :P i mean since the famous talc attakc in parliament the goverment are over sencitive/paranoid. ph34r.gif

You not going crossfire ken.

Social source share

Guest bill storey

Well I have to confess early to middle night I love the stuff, it goes a long way for helping keep control of spins and shuffles, however later on and ten pints heavier, " Help Black Ice".

post-5398-1178393024_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Yes talc now a no no at plenty of venues. Smoking banned at all venuues soon also. Both v bad for the old health. So no smoking no talcing soulies = healthier soulies that will live forever, reducing the necessity for 'new blood' and would be unwarranted media intrusion ... Hang on a minute, I see the future! :P

Social source share

Yes talc now a no no at plenty of venues. Smoking banned at all venuues soon also. Both v bad for the old health. So no smoking no talcing soulies = healthier soulies that will live forever, reducing the necessity for 'new blood' and would be unwarranted media intrusion ... Hang on a minute, I see the future! :P

I was told that talc is now a no - no at a lot venues because of it buggering up the air conditioning .......

What a lot of testicles .......

The next thing will be a ban on excessive sweating caused by dancing , in case it falls on the floor , causing people to slip ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get rid of it-it's for babies' bums only :P I can't stand it when people sprinkle it every 2 minutes plus it wrecks your shoes and I end up falling on my arse as the floor's too slippy! It's likea drug to some people-one friend of mine would insist on driving round every late shop and Spar in the vicinity before an all niter to get her fix! The other week at the Greatstone one woman was literally sprinking the stuff as she danced and people were choking. Like Davie said, get some decent leather soled shoes and you don't need it:angry:

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

I don't like talc, but for those who do if it is used in moderation and not all over the floor every five minutes, then its not too bad. But there is always someone comes up to the "talc free zone" and sprinkles it liberally so the whole friggen floor is covered :P (this usually happens to me when I have been dancing away happily, the talcum offender then dances for two records and I am on the carpet as the floor is too slippery) ... unless a beer slopper comes up and spills their drink :angry:

Anyway, I know some folks like it but not all of us.

Social source share

I don't like talc, but for those who do if it is used in moderation and not all over the floor every five minutes, then its not too bad. But there is always someone comes up to the "talc free zone" and sprinkles it liberally so the whole friggen floor is covered :P (this usually happens to me when I have been dancing away happily, the talcum offender then dances for two records and I am on the carpet as the floor is too slippery) ... unless a beer slopper comes up and spills their drink :angry:

Anyway, I know some folks like it but not all of us.

" To talc or not to talc : that is the question ....... "

If we are not careful , The Soul Police will make it law that all venues have a roped off area on the dancefloor allocated it specifically for talc use , and ask the punters as they come in " are you a talcie " .......

Talc Apartheid ....... no.gif

Talc has always been / is / always will be , a part of the scene - whether we like it or not ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

If we are not careful , The Soul Police will make it law that all venues have a roped off area on the dancefloor allocated it specifically for talc use , and ask the punters as they come in " are you a talcie " .......

Talc Apartheid ....... :P

Talc has always been / is / always will be , a part of the scene - whether we like it or not ......

Malc Burton

I know it's part of the scene, and I carry my hubby's in my bag for him. But the whole floor doesn't have to be covered. I don't need it and I know others that don't too. It seems obvious if there are areas where there is talc in abundance and enough room to dance there, why go and put talc where others are dancing without it? Most people can work that out.

Everything in moderation, as someone already pointed out a couple of venues have been lost in Scotland because some people were going over the top. It was probably easier in the big old ballroom type venues we used to have, and we had no air conditioning to ruin either.

I always thought it was only the floor to clean up but didn't realise it would have been all over the glasses in the bar etc too, so I can see why they get p'd off at some of the smaller venues if that is the case.

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Actually, one of the guys here had a venue with a talc ban, so he went in before the night and polished the floor!

Social source share

Talc Apartheid ....... :P

Malc Burton

Spotton Malc.

Here some well run in dancing shoe`s for Davie,note the leather sole`s..........hope they pass the Davie test!!post-1986-1178440179_thumb.jpgpost-1986-1178440136_thumb.jpg.

Social source share

Guest Doris

Actually, one of the guys here had a venue with a talc ban, so he went in before the night and polished the floor!

ahhhhhhh - simple female logic!!!!! :P

Have to say a well poloshed dancefloor makes all the difference - remember how wonderful the floor was at Nick Browns venue in London - a dancers dream - in fact a bad dancefloor can put me off going out ..................... none of us are as young as we behave!!????

Doris

Social source share

Talc,I've never used it ,even in the old days,My style of dance was a sort of Skip and float around the floor heel toe heel toe in rubber soled shoes..very energetic ,I needed all the grip I could get,these days tho' more of a shuffler,so now I use leather soled brogues..still dont use talc..the big problem tho' in leather shoes is if you stray on to some talc....its like ice skating

I dont complain ..its always been a part of the scene...you just have to be carefull around it

Bazza

Social source share

Have to say... i don't like it... but it doesn't bother me as such.

Have always wondered what kind of shoes talc users wear though...?

I've never felt any need to use it... but boy... do i have to use all my wits... and any fellow dancers within grabbing distance... in order to stay upright when i accidentally do hit a patch...

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Spotton Malc.

Here some well run in dancing shoe`s for Davie,note the leather sole`s..........hope they pass the Davie test!!post-1986-1178440179_thumb.jpgpost-1986-1178440136_thumb.jpg.

Hope this passes the test too - I never wear shoes to nighters (not since late 70s) and never need talc.post-1402-1178443487.jpg

Social source share

It as been banned in brisbane & a lot of the dancers are not happy , at are current venue a polish club top venue but floor like glue . I get '' i aint danced much as to hard '' , when previous Australian dance champoins like Mark Dibble ex Great Yarmouth complain, i know we got a problem . In Brisbane we currently have the latest Australian champions Mark Webb & a young aussie lass Sue . Dont know how to fix the problem might have to get there like a previuos venue and polish the dam floor . ps : Heard there was 460 at a soul night Melbourne last night & several other soul nights in the city .

Social source share

Hate the shit............surely it must be a Health & Safety concern?? Seriously...........I mean, I know on the soul scene we're renowned for a bit of a "live for today" attitude, but if you're in that environment every weekend that CANNOT be a good thing!!

Haven't read all posts, so this may have been mentioned, but has anyone stopped to think about what it's doing to their records when DJ'ing? I've DJ'd in a talc filled atmosphere, and I was horrified at the state of my vinyl the next day!! Ask me whether I'd leave my rarer stuff at home and play them off CD-R if I knew I was gonna be in that kind of environment, and I'd give you a straight and unashamed answer.................YES..............I'd be a fool not to!!

Finally, if you really want convincing of what a problem it is, look at photo's taken at events that allow it..............you'll see lots of specs in the pic's and that's the flash bouncing off talc in the atmosphere.

It's crap, and we won't have it at Soul Purpose...............luckily most modern soul events don't have this problem, which is fine by me.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!