Talc - Love It Or Loathe It?

Its yet another thing that is just a habit and ritual, almost part of the uniform so many feel the need to wear.

Get rid of it and move with the times, mind that could apply to about 90% of components of current scene!

Social source share

• Replies 92
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest rachel

Loathe it ,also have had trouble at a venue i ran because of it ,owner went ballistic with some innocent person for putting it down ,so he retaliated nearly had to abandon night.

trouble is does nt just go on floor , goes all over he was complaining about curtains and carpets

and why do you need to put down the whole lot at once :thumbsup: find it makes floor lethal like an ice ring or even stickier ,

also why is it always Johnson surely there s some cheaper versions around or is it just another case of what we always did rolleyes.gif

Hmm I don't know, I've noticed a rise in the amount of Imperial Leather talc about (probably because it's the brand cheap chemists always have for a pound :P ). Not sure about Simsy's "purple top", surely the lavender and camomile would make everyone too relaxed? wicked.gif

ps I'm not a big fan, don't mind a little bit of it, but hate breathing it in, having to clean it off shoes etc.. one of my friends texted me the other day saying she'd knocked a bottle of talc over while cleaning the bathroom.. "I think I've got soul scene lungs now!"

Social source share

Half the people I see giving the floor a liberal sprinkling seem to make a mound of talc then stand in it looking like they have entered a competition for who can move their feet least with the most imperceptible of heel and toe movements!!

============

My pet hate is talc! Particularly those who as Karen says sprinkle the floor, look round to make sure people have noticed, jig about for a record, and wander off. As Trev or someone said in an earlier post, if you can't dance without it don't bother. Most floors these days are so highly polished its not needed.

I've no real problem with people who put it down and dance all night, although there would be a safety aspect, just those who do it for effect. Know someone will say about me putting water down to slow a floor down, so will say, I do do that. Generally however, I dance most of the night and try to stay in exactly the same bit of floor I've doctored, so as not to upset anyone. Difficult to do, cos people constantly encroach on this slow bit of floor, usually mutter about how sticky it is, then go for the talc. Course that just makes a paste........ ban the stuff, just not needed these days.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Had a 50th birthday party for 'er indoors a couple of years ago. We have a polished floor (real floorboards not these new fangled wood things that come in sheets) in one of the rooms where we set up the decks/dance area.( DJs on the night were Alan Pollard, Graham Slater,Dave Ferguson, Kegsy and The Pittance). Anyway as I got pissed and wanted a dance, so out came the talc. Bloody hell what a mess it made of the floor. Still not got round to having it polished again. Might wait until after the next party or buy a few more rugs!

It was a great night though.

Julian

Social source share

Guest kev such

Talc!!

I dont mind it, but it does depend on what shoes i'm wearing, i.e. boots or trainers etc...

When i held the first night at Cream Cracker. The morning after i spoke to the manageress and asked if she was pleased with how the night went? She replied with "how she was surprised with how tidy we all were" she then said that "when we have weddings and general parties etc... the floor is covered with beer, sticky pop, food and fag butts on the carpets and dancefloor, which takes longer to clean up than a bit of talc". She did say that it doesnt come up quickly, but was no hassle to clean. Consequently i now give one of the barmaids some cash for her trouble of cleaning up the talc.

Also the bar area is raised from the dancefloor so thankfully the talc doesnt spread.

IMHO each to their own.

Regards

Kev.

CREAM CRACKER, 26TH MAY.ROTHWELL TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB, ROTHWELL, KETTERING, NORTHANTS.

Social source share

if you take any pride in your appearence then you'd never use it , looks bloody awful walking out of a venue with talc halfway up your legs ...

the answer is simple WEAR PROPER SHOES !!!!!

Think I will join in at this point Davie is quite right wearing the right footwear eliminates the need for talc I wear Doc Marts (ladies genteel ones of course) :unsure:

when the grip has worn off them they are superb for dancing in

When I rejoined the soul circuit I used talc until I got a decent pair of shoes

now I rarely use it unless the floor is sticky

Mand :unsure:

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

============

My pet hate is talc! Particularly those who as Karen says sprinkle the floor, look round to make sure people have noticed, jig about for a record, and wander off. As Trev or someone said in an earlier post, if you can't dance without it don't bother. Most floors these days are so highly polished its not needed.

I've no real problem with people who put it down and dance all night, although there would be a safety aspect, just those who do it for effect. Know someone will say about me putting water down to slow a floor down, so will say, I do do that. Generally however, I dance most of the night and try to stay in exactly the same bit of floor I've doctored, so as not to upset anyone. Difficult to do, cos people constantly encroach on this slow bit of floor, usually mutter about how sticky it is, then go for the talc. Course that just makes a paste........ ban the stuff, just not needed these days.

Winnie:-)

Sounds as if you go through the same drama as me :unsure: I have been known to do the water thing too :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

It as been banned in brisbane & a lot of the dancers are not happy , at are current venue a polish club top venue but floor like glue . I get '' i aint danced much as to hard '' , when previous Australian dance champoins like Mark Dibble ex Great Yarmouth complain, i know we got a problem . In Brisbane we currently have the latest Australian champions Mark Webb & a young aussie lass Sue . Dont know how to fix the problem might have to get there like a previuos venue and polish the dam floor . ps : Heard there was 460 at a soul night Melbourne last night & several other soul nights in the city .

Yes we're both talking about the same floor here Johnny! :unsure: You didn't polish it last time, I heard the complaints you better get polishing :unsure:

Social source share

Had a 50th birthday party for 'er indoors a couple of years ago. We have a polished floor (real floorboards not these new fangled wood things that come in sheets) in one of the rooms where we set up the decks/dance area.( DJs on the night were Alan Pollard, Graham Slater,Dave Ferguson, Kegsy and The Pittance). Anyway as I got pissed and wanted a dance, so out came the talc. Bloody hell what a mess it made of the floor. Still not got round to having it polished again. Might wait until after the next party or buy a few more rugs!

It was a great night though.

Julian

You sure it wasn't Vandellas 40th Birthday Mate. :unsure: (Just trying to help you out the poo you may now be in Pal). :unsure:

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

PS...... our badminton players were complaining of slippy patches on the dance...er ...sports hall floor the night after the do I organised at my place of work!!

Don't know what that could have been Im sure :unsure:

probably spilt beer :unsure:

Mand :thumbsup:

Social source share

You sure it wasn't Vandellas 40th Birthday Mate. :unsure: (Just trying to help you out the poo you may now be in Pal). :unsure:

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Hi Dave

Vandella doesn't normally read SS so I should be in the clear!!

All the best to Bev.

Julian

Social source share

Two places talc wasnt needed,Wigan cause i was floatin round on the buzz!!,and the Ritz best dance floor ever on the planet.

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Two places talc wasnt needed,Wigan cause i was floatin round on the buzz!!,and the Ritz best dance floor ever on the planet.

:unsure: Yes the Ritz was a superb dancefloor.... could also still have been the "dancing mood" we were in from the all-nighter we had just left :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Ban it, after all we don't need it to dance to and to some people like myself i feel like slipping over it when i used to dance on it. But we can all dance without it. Just when you use so much the mess it causes.

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Yeah ban it ...been kicked out of a soul night twice now through talc setting off the smoke alarms. Had to evacuate the building while waiting for the fire brigade to come and check the premises were safe for us to go back in!

Lights on and the place was a mess! Talc covering everything, swirling about the air, can't be good breathing it in all night. I feel sorry for the cleaners!

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Hope this passes the test too - I never wear shoes to nighters (not since late 70s) and never need talc.post-1402-1178443487.jpg

actually trimm trabs are doable for dancing , they have the honeycomb sole don't they ? and the soles is quite hard .

i used to wear my original sl76's because of the harder sole , they were like wearing slippers

Social source share

Guest Bogue

In the 70s we used to use powdered french chalk, I realise that it would cause the similar dust/cleaning problems etc but is it as dangerous with respect to carcinogenics?

QoFxx

10 x slippier than talc & you may have the answer here chrissieo ! :thumbsup:

We used to use it in the Electrical contracting industry for pulling cables into conduits, & 'why it might be the answer' is because it comes in stick form ! So all you need to do is rub a little along the sole of your shoe rather than dump a big load on the floor ! So much less used & no great cloud of carsiagenic dust fowelling everything in its path !

Another thought for those intent on spinning like a dervish, get a cobler to put something like a third of a squash ball under a leather sole, imagine the spins you could do on a slightly smaller point of contact !

Had a titter to myself when polishing dance floors was mentioned,remembered when we did the charity do at Worcs Uni we didn't just have to polish it we had to scrape hardened chewing gum & tape off the floor before we could even get a polisher near it ! Took me & my wife over 5 hours !!

Social source share

I use talc just a bit,at the weekend but only for recreational use,you only want a little on the floor,not like ive seen people chucking it about,and I have used leather soled shoes in the past,they do get to slippy you end up putting water on the soles,and god knows what damage steel seggs have on the dance floor.

Kev :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

actually trimm trabs are doable for dancing , they have the honeycomb sole don't they ? and the soles is quite hard .

i used to wear my original sl76's because of the harder sole , they were like wearing slippers

TT like Munchen and Madrid have a hard polyurethene sole ideal for dancing but cracks and turn to dust after about 20 years (be wary when paying £200 for a pair of box fresh originals for early 80s).

SL76 latest reissues are a bugger to dance in though.

Just thinking back to threads in the past where we were educated by some (not you Davie) that trainers had no place on the dancefloor :thumbsup:

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest Jim.

I tend to use the talc a bit myself nowadays. That said I could give it up at once if as long as the promoters give us a decent set of floorboards to shuffle on and introduce a ban of drinks on the dancefloor area. :thumbsup:

// Jim

Social source share

Guest RICTIC
:thumbsup: hi soulies i think if your a good dancer you dont need talc .its perfect for the shufflers & stompers anyway it sets my asthma off .i never used it at wigan ktf rictic :(
Social source share

Love it!!!! :thumbsup: Good on the hips and knees, perfect for spinning :( a handful is just about right at the side of the floor, quick shuffle to get a good coating on the soles and we're off dancing. A good cleaner the morning after, bucket of soapy water and a quick buff up with the polisher brings it up a treat. Now what is dangerous at "the no talc" venues is a quick spray of silicone, now theres a law suit. Don't ban talc that is used in moderation.

Edited by Sister Dawn
Social source share

:thumbsup: hi soulies i think if your a good dancer you dont need talc .its perfect for the shufflers & stompers anyway it sets my asthma off .i never used it at wigan ktf rictic :thumbsup:

Well you`ve got me there,i`m a shite dancer. :thumbsup: ,if you just put a bit down and not from a great hight,dance till its gone then add,its them who throw loads on the edge of the dance floor cause it ends up allover the show!,cause folks tend to walk round the edge of the dance floor.........my advice would be use as little as poss on the bit youve stukc you dance flag on,as requiered :( and wetting the dance floor is a no no,save for Winnie cause he`s nice.Ken

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

TT like Munchen and Madrid have a hard polyurethene sole ideal for dancing but cracks and turn to dust after about 20 years (be wary when paying £200 for a pair of box fresh originals for early 80s).

SL76 latest reissues are a bugger to dance in though.

Just thinking back to threads in the past where we were educated by some (not you Davie) that trainers had no place on the dancefloor :thumbsup:

it probably was me , but there isn't many trainers available these days like the munchen , TT ,monza , madrid(is it obvious i grew up in Skem lolol) etc and yeah yer right about the new SL76 ....sticky sole and no finesse to the shoe at all . i'll stick to my bright green and yellow ones . though for going out they would look stupid with the 3 piece suit , pork pie hat etc hahaha

Social source share

it probably was me , but there isn't many trainers available these days like the munchen , TT ,monza , madrid(is it obvious i grew up in Skem lolol) etc and yeah yer right about the new SL76 ....sticky sole and no finesse to the shoe at all . i'll stick to my bright green and yellow ones . though for going out they would look stupid with the 3 piece suit , pork pie hat etc hahaha

Dye em`blakc Davie,or cherie red if your a soulie......blakc for R+Bie`s. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Not allowed at Easington, but during the night a quick recky of the dancing area and some t##t has deposited some on the edge of the dancefloor :(

With the quality dance floor at Easington there is no need for the white powder of the Devil :thumbsup: .......its slippy enough!!!

Plus the decks/mixer/equipment etc gets covered as well.

Social source share

On a more serius note, Kitty is right - a study carried out a few years ago did show that over 50% of ovarian cancer sufferers used talc on a regular basis. Cosmetic grade talcum powder is a carcinogen and it's a bit odd that the EU haven't smacked warning on bottles.

It would be interesting to see the full figures... I suspect 50% of ovarian cancer sufferers also drank tea and used Vosene :thumbsup:

Social source share

Its yet another thing that is just a habit and ritual, almost part of the uniform so many feel the need to wear.

Get rid of it and move with the times, mind that could apply to about 90% of components of current scene!

Totally agree, it's just ritual and was never of that much importance or used as widely as legend says. It's also unhealthy to breathe the stuff in all night long.

If you can dance, you don't need it.

J. :D

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

It would be interesting to see the full figures... I suspect 50% of ovarian cancer sufferers also drank tea and used Vosene :D

i'm not quite sure why that is somethig to grin like a fool about

Social source share

Guest Trevski

is this the stuff in tiny bags i see occasionally? wondered what it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wicked: no Ezzie, thats "Marching powder' not 'Dancing powder'.... :D Similar effect, just don't throw it on the floor! Actualy, would be a good way to fill a dancefloor :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

i alwayds end up meeting the right people, this tells me so!!!!!!!

A lot would tell you I am most definatly the wrong person! :D

Social source share

Up to a few years ago I used talc. Always had respect for others that didn't though, put a small amount on side of floor then stood in it when needing more. Don't understand why people pour it all over spot their dancing in no need.

I've since discovered the beauty of having special soles and heels on my dancing shoes. They come in different surfaces - smooth, slight, med or very gripped etc found the cobbler in my village very helpful, so I no longer need talc.

People must have just stood and poured it onto the floor for it to get into everything. I danced on the carpet week last Friday so didn't notice.

Karen

Social source share

Guest Doris

Had a 50th birthday party for 'er indoors a couple of years ago. We have a polished floor Julian

Julian - Cant beleive Vandella is 50 and your digging your grave saying a few years ago arent u ?????

Doris

Social source share

i'm not quite sure why that is somethig to grin like a fool about

It's just a smilie :thumbsup: Highlighting perhaps that certain statistics should be smiled about in that they're not reflecting all the true facts.

Social source share

Yeah ban it ...been kicked out of a soul night twice now through talc setting off the smoke alarms. Had to evacuate the building while waiting for the fire brigade to come and check the premises were safe for us to go back in!

Lights on and the place was a mess! Talc covering everything, swirling about the air, can't be good breathing it in all night. I feel sorry for the cleaners!

Was this awsworth by any chance ??

I was there that night too (the firemen were very nice biggrin.gif ) young man!!!!!

what a mess!!!

Sam was complaining about the stuff settling on his vinyl!!!

Mand

Social source share

thumbsup.gif hi soulies i think if your a good dancer you dont need talc .its perfect for the shufflers & stompers anyway it sets my asthma off .i never used it at wigan ktf rictic :rolleyes:

hahahaha Rictic so If Im a shite dancer I need talc to make me better then... PMSL

Just kiddin mate :thumbsup: couldnt resist!

Social source share

HATE IT!!!! aggressive.gif get some decent shoes,have seen people throw it down and...1/ sit down

2/ dance round it

3/ dance in a fashion that makes me wonder why they need it.

I agree totally, I wear leather soles and never need talc! If you must use it take a leaf out of Chantelles book, she has a weeny little bottle in her pocket, she taps out just enough for herself in her space and never coats the floor in it, I think what she does shows etiquette and respect for other dancers, it always makes me smile when i see the little bottle.... Hats off Chantelle! :rolleyes:

Social source share

I agree totally, I wear leather soles and never need talc! If you must use it take a leaf out of Chantelles book, she has a weeny little bottle in her pocket, she taps out just enough for herself in her space and never coats the floor in it, I think what she does shows etiquette and respect for other dancers, it always makes me smile when i see the little bottle.... Hats off Chantelle! thumbsup.gif

Said that earlier in the thread Annie save the bottle,in`t old days they used to use gif lemons,its them that put on the edge that fukc it up for everybody.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert