Attic,alex Jones

Hi all, well what a great nite!!.It took a while for the dancefloor to get going ,but ALEX really did pull out all the stops and gave an awesome spot to a discerning crowd.

With the decks situated how they are( floor level with no barrier),ALEX wasn't short of peeps studying what each spin was, and he didn't seem to mind :unsure: .

Just a mention about the technical glitch we had last time,,,,it's sorted,last nite went off without any probs!!(show me a nite that's not had problems, and i'll show you my ASS,and i don't mean donkey).

Once again, thanks to Alex, great spot , really nice guy.It's just a pity some peeps missed out on hearing him :unsure: .May get a playlist from him soon,,but meanwhile here's some of my list from the early spot.

REMARKABLES - IS THE FEELING STILL THERE

FABULOUS DENOS - ONCE I HAD A LOVE (NEIL :thumbsup: )

MARVA WHITNEY - BALL OF FIRE

BLUES GROOVE - I BELIEVE IN YOU

JACKEY BEAVERS - LOVER COME BACK

DIANE JENKINS - I NEED YOU

BRENDA + TABS. - HEY BOY

CHRISTINE ADAMS - LONELINESS IS ALWAYS AROUND (GARRY :thumbsup: )

DYNAMICS - WOMAN (MICK :thumbsup: )

TWO FELLOWS - STOP,DON'T GIVE UP YOUR LOVING

Edited by KevH
  • Replies 18
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

With the decks situated how they are( floor level with no barrier),ALEX wasn't short of peeps studying what each spin was, and he didn't seem to mind :unsure: .

Poor owd Dave's neck must be killing him :unsure: .I for one was gob-smacked again at the quality of music , and to se Mr Jones pulling out the caliber of records one after another was at times very hard to believe. I hope there is a playlist available.

Tony MAK

Guest krawen

Hi all, well what a great nite!!.It took a while for the dancefloor to get going ,but ALEX really did pull out all the stops and gave an awesome spot to a discerning crowd.

Just a mention about the technical glitch we had last time,,,,it's sorted,last nite went off without any probs!!(show me a nite that's not had problems, and i'll show you my ASS,and i don't mean donkey).

Once again, thanks to Alex, great spot , really nice guy.It's just a pity some peeps missed out on hearing him :unsure: .May get a playlist from him soon,,but meanwhile here's some of my list from the early spot.

REMARKABLES - IS THE FEELING STILL THERE

FABULOUS DENOS - ONCE I HAD A LOVE (NEIL :thumbsup: )

MARVA WHITNEY - BALL OF FIRE

BLUES GROOVE - I BELIEVE IN YOU

JACKEY BEAVERS - LOVER COME BACK

DIANE JENKINS - I NEED YOU

BRENDA + TABS. - HEY BOY

CHRISTINE ADAMS - LONELINESS IS ALWAYS AROUND (GARRY :thumbsup: )

DYNAMICS - WOMAN (MICK :thumbsup: )

TWO FELLOWS - STOP,DON'T GIVE UP YOUR LOVING

Hi Kev,

glad to see you got the technical side sorted , like you've said , all nights have had some sort of problems at some stage with the equipment ( as we have at Annesley in the past ) so i think your ass is safe.

Well as I posted earlier ,I had to go to a 40th birthday party in Newark last night and was treated to the delight of sounds such as 9 times out of 10 and out on the floor, so as you can imagine , I got very , very drunk ( as the chap says on the fast show )

Glad you had a good night.

Steve B

Guest Mart B

Another superb night of "quality" underplayed "northern soul" its not the quantity but the "quality" that counts and alex and the attic boys delivered!.

Glad Kev's ass is safe. I was gettin a bit sensative at some comments about people not coming 'cos of the tech glitch last time. Me thinks Kev's promise of revealing more of himself is to placate me a little. No need Kev - I'm upbeat. Thanks for those who stuck with us, think it's safe to say you were well rewarded last night. What a lot of sounds you got for £3. I don't think Alex Jones usually puts playlists out there. I saw Steve L takin notes so perhaps he's got Alex's permission to list a few. But...... you should av been there. Really top spot by the guy with the side-burns. We have been so lucky with guests at our place.

Slow to get a room going last night, those who missed Kev's spot missed a good one. We were on edge a bit until about 9.00 when people started to drift in, something I'm sure all promoters can relate to. What's important for us isn't the big crowd but that those who come enjoy it and hear something they've not heard for a long while, or simply not heard. We don't need many in the Attic to have a crowd. Kev's spot on with the neck craners. There were more round the decks than on the floor at several times.

I swapped spots with Garrrry due to his travel arrangements so it was left to me to follow Alex, yeh like thanks Garrrrry. We try to move the floor a bit more in the later spot, here's a taster of 5 that swung a few tail feathers later on.

Marie Knight, You Lie So well - Musicor

Sergio Mendes, Love Music - bell promo

The People's Choice, "Oh How I Like It" - Phil La DJ

Irma Thomas, What Are You Trying To Do - Imperial

Marvin Holmes You, Better Keep Her - Brown Door

The Boss-Four, Walkin By - RIM Records.

Obviously not a patch on what Alex Jones spun but gives a flavour of the end of the night.

Great to see the regular faces, good to see Damon and Alison again up from Cambridge.

A happy gremlin free night with good people listening to sounds that sound so good in that little Attic room.

Dean.

So glad it went well chaps, sounds like another top night in Mansfield, sounds like you have ironed out the little problems with the sound system and i'm sure the few that stayed away because of this will return in the future, i'm certainly looking forward to coming your way in July and of course you have Chalky on there in June....keep it up boys you know you love it...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

So glad it went well chaps, sounds like another top night in Mansfield, sounds like you have ironed out the little problems with the sound system and i'm sure the few that stayed away because of this will return in the future, i'm certainly looking forward to coming your way in July and of course you have Chalky on there in June....keep it up boys you know you love it...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Good to hear from you Mark - I'll pass on your phone message to the boys. Rang just in time to remind me to put you on Solar Radio on the PC ............. just playing The Darlings mmmmm nnnnice and mellow. Lookin forward to seeing you again down here soon, confident you'll have both decks to work on this time!

Dean

Hi Guys sounds like I missed great night at the Attic just been talking to Graham on the phone & he said the night was awesome & Alex played some top tunes. Me & Ray ended up Trentside after dropping the wives off at the Fed club. If they want to go there next month they'll have to make there own way as my ride is going to the Attic See ya soon Cressy

Our 2nd visit , enjoyed the night , made to feel welcome again , music was good but Alex Jones played quite a few we didn't know at the start of his spot but towards the end played some top tunes including Passions, Flash McKinney and Betty Wilson and eventually got afew up shuffling their feet. Be good to see a full Playlist.

Great little venue you've got here guys , keep up the good work.

Not sure we can make next month due to work but should be OK for July.

See you soon

Paul & Sue :thumbsup:

Good to hear from you Mark - I'll pass on your phone message to the boys. Rang just in time to remind me to put you on Solar Radio on the PC ............. just playing The Darlings mmmmm nnnnice and mellow. Lookin forward to seeing you again down here soon, confident you'll have both decks to work on this time!

Dean

Cheers Dean, good to catch up tonight and glad you enjoyed the show...if you fancy a copy of 'The Darlings' i have a spare Mercury Demo for sale...lol nice tune as you say real mellow...see you soon pal.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Kev / Steve L

Had a call from Studge this morning, nobody told him it was a bank hol! Wanted to pass on he enjoyed the night again, even some of Alex's he didn't know.

More I reflect on it more I enjoyed Alex Jones spot. Really can't understand us not having more in to hear him but happy for those who did. Can you put a few on Steve to give an idea or would Alex prefer to keep the secret (as well as the faith).

Here's a thought, if soul clubs were twinned as towns are, can we twin with Different Kettle of Fish at Peterborough.? Have you seen their playlist - check it out on lookbacks........ similar theme and sounds. Lets make that car ride on 22nd June eh.

Dean

Only just got round to posting as I've had rather a hectic bank holiday on the vino :shades:beer.gif

I asked Alex if he minded me putting up his playlist and he said he'd rather I didn't so I'll respect his wishes on that. However I'll just mention a couple of stand out tunes for me personally in what what was as previously mentioned 90 minutes of top drawer soul music:

Jesse Davis, Gonna Hang On In There Girl ( what a record! first time I've had a chance to dance to this for a while) - Detroit Emeralds, Holding On - Fasades, Mary Sunshine & Moses Dillard, Prety As a Picture.

The dance floor was a bit slow early on but the neck craners had a whale of a time gathered round the decks yes.gif

Been reading other venues threads and it seems that numbers are down at some venues that like us aren't out and out oldies based and this has got to be a concern. Our turn out on Sat was bang on average for us at just under 40 ( I know as I've kept a record of takings and know exactly how many have been every time ) I'm only mentioning this because although we didn't have a poor turn out I'd hoped for a few more in with a guest DJ with such a top class collection.

Anyway dont want to sound negative in any way, anyone who wasn't there missed a treat - onwards and upwards as they say, next months guest is soul sourcer Chalky from Chesterfield and we're looking forward to that already :hypo:

Big thanks to Alex for coming down and to everyone who has supported us :shades:

Heres a few tunes I played:

Crystals - Are You Trying To Get Rid Of Me Baby ( UA WD )

Soul Twins - Give The Man a Chance ( Karen WD )

Masqueraders - Do You Love Me Baby ( Wand D )

Dean Courtney - We Have a Good Thing ( RCA WD )

Terri Bryant - Geni ( Verve )

Olympics - Secret Agents ( Mirwood )

Volumes - My Kind Of Girl ( Inferno )

Willows - Ooutside The City ( MGM D )

Johnny Nash - You Never Know ( MGM D )

Buckinghams - You Misunderstand Me ( Columbia )

Like Steve said in previous post,still scratching our heads why we did'nt get more in,but seems to be the trend in most venues lately.Working on about 70% capacity at moment(sad i know, but working it out like that cos we're only a small venue :thumbsup: ).

Anyway we got CHALKY up next in June, so don't miss out again :(

Edited by KevH
Guest Mart B

Like Steve said in previous post,still scratching our heads why we did'nt get more in,but seems to be the trend in most venues lately.Working on about 70% capacity at moment(sad i know, but working it out like that cos we're only a small venue :) ).

Anyway we got CHALKY up next in June, so don't miss out again :unsure:

Hi Kevh

Alot of venues around at the moment" i Betch ya" that most are playing stuff that you can hear on radio 2 :D .Keep up the good work on providing djs with "quality" under played 6ts and crossover choones please!.

Like Steve said in previous post,still scratching our heads why we did'nt get more in,but seems to be the trend in most venues lately.Working on about 70% capacity at moment(sad i know, but working it out like that cos we're only a small venue :) ).

Anyway we got CHALKY up next in June, so don't miss out again :D

Looking forward to the night myself :unsure:

Source Advert